Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Vorenus posted:

He was relieved of command, transferred, and then retired....because his career was over. A couple of people recommended/considered reinstating him, but ultimately he was not reinstated. To add insult to injury, he was criticized by a naval inquiry.

If you had actually read the Wiki page you would know all of this.

I did read it. What is your point here exactly because its way better to get told that your time is up as opposed to being forced to leave. He made a mistake but took the high road. Good for him?

evilweasel posted:

Dishonorably discharged is vaguely akin to a criminal record. You don't get one just because you were relieved of command and told your career was over.

That's what I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Another assassination attempt on a prominent pro-war figure in Russia.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russian-nationalist-writer-prilepin-wounded-car-bombing-tass-2023-05-06/

He started out as a nazbol revolutionary idealist, which is already not a good place to start, but 2014 has turned him into a fairly standard, if more eloquent and well-read, rapid nationalist preaching a slightly obfuscated version of the blood and soil doctrine. He openly boasted that in 2016, when he commanded a 'volunteer battalion' in DNR in 2016, his unit inflicted the most damage and 'made an awful mess' where they were deployed, which made him fear for his eternal soul.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Sergg posted:

https://twitter.com/bogy0/status/1654809214110384128

https://twitter.com/IvanKuhn8/status/1654840079766962179

Check it out. Ramzan Kadryov is wearing a pulse oximeter while giving his speech about replacing Prighozin with his own troops.

pulse ox goes on finger tips usually, I think it's a click counter:

if you look closely it's the exact same model, p sure.

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 6, 2023

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

LifeSunDeath posted:

pulse ox goes on finger tips usually, I think it's a click counter:

if you look closely it's the exact same model, p sure.

Digital prayer beads. Pun intended.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I love when people on Twitter make a huge assumption based off their wrong guess at what something is.

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

Why would you manually count your heartbeats?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Because he's dying

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
I'm guessing he's counting how many "don"s he says each day, to try and set a new personal high score.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Maybe he’s just clicking the thing because he’s bored sitting around with his dick in hand all day

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
I don't like the guy either but can we not poo poo on people for having disabilities?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

adebisi lives posted:

I don't like the guy either but can we not poo poo on people for having disabilities?

What the hell are you talking about?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
yeah, that was a weird post

as far as I know, the only confirmed disability Kadyrov has is his lack of a soul

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

adebisi lives posted:

Kadyrov wearing a pulse oximeter is a legitimate curiosity. Why would he be wearing one? Either he's slaying out and crushing epic mega weights or something is abnormal about his health.

And while it hasn't happened I just want to point out there is a huge difference between making GBS threads on someone for a disability or ailment simply for the sake of it (I don't talk about one of my health conditions with strangers for this reason) and mocking people who promote poisonous and toxic hyper-masculinity not living up to their own standards.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Guys, we know that Hitler's phycisist put him on coke and opiates and he probably had traumas from an abusive father and WW1 experiences and he only had one testicle, let's not talk poo poo about him okay?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

adebisi lives posted:

Kind of scraping the bottom of the concern barrel there, bud.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

What the hell are you talking about?

I guess they were joking?

Pretty sure it's a prayer counter.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

mrfart posted:

I guess they were joking?

Pretty sure it's a prayer counter.

Ah so they were really making fun of actually disabled people? That's nice

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Oh okay, now Prigozhin is writing in a published letter to Shoigu to transfer the front responsibility in Bakhmut from Wagner to Kadyrovites before May 10th 00.00 hours.

This is the absolutely dumbest war. There was a time when soldiers had to do nightly raids across no-man's-line to capture some poor bastard or at least get some documents so the intel guys could figure out which enemy unit was where and when they transferred from front to reserve. Now the commanders are telling it all on Telegram.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Nenonen posted:

Guys, we know that Hitler's phycisist put him on coke and opiates and he probably had traumas from an abusive father and WW1 experiences and he only had one testicle, let's not talk poo poo about him okay?

This is exactly why I don't buy weed from physicists.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Oh okay, now Prigozhin is writing in a published letter to Shoigu to transfer the front responsibility in Bakhmut from Wagner to Kadyrovites before May 10th 00.00 hours.

This is the absolutely dumbest war. There was a time when soldiers had to do nightly raids across no-man's-line to capture some poor bastard or at least get some documents so the intel guys could figure out which enemy unit was where and when they transferred from front to reserve. Now the commanders are telling it all on Telegram.

"I killed a man in hand to hand combat to retrieve this intel and he... just tweeted it out."

This represents the end of Russian efforts to capture Bakhmut right, since it was Wagner's job and the army was assigned Vuhledar?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

This is all a masterful feint for Russia's counter-counter-offensive offensive.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

mutata posted:

This is exactly why I don't buy weed from physicists.

oops lol, otoh I think I would trust Einstein's crack more than Theo Morell's

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ukraine MoD more or less confirm the shootdown.
https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1654762067117711360?s=20

So, the latest* and vaunted Kinzhal hypersonic missile got dusted by a 40 year old weapons platform. Feels like this will be a turning point since Russia is in short supply of these missiles already and they will need to absolutely swarm these missiles more than usual to defeat an already increasingly tighter air defense network.

*technically the Kinzhal is just the terminal stage of the Iskander, which existed 10 years prior.

Nenonen posted:

Yeah, Prigozhin has basically failed, he's currently in an untenable position in Bakhmut and there's a counteroffensive on the horizon that will probably end with him dead or captured by the Ukrainians. I don't think Kadyrov's forces can get their in time to reinforce their position or patch the hole in the lines, so a retreat sounds like it could be devastating to the Russians.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
It looks like Russia might be leaving Melitopol? Is this account reliable?
https://twitter.com/StateOfUkraine/status/1654905391216566274

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
that's a pretty big claim, giving up a city dozens of mile behind the current lines, the loss of which would cause the russian's southern front an existential crisis. even if they were a very reputable account it's a claim that should be taken with a giant amount of salt

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I did read it. What is your point here exactly because its way better to get told that your time is up as opposed to being forced to leave. He made a mistake but took the high road. Good for him?

That's what I thought.

You guys are talking past each other because you're using different definitions of "his career was over," hth.

Not sure if it's comparable but the general in charge of US troops in Afghanistan also got "fired" for being extremely unprofessional in the presence of a reporter.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Willo567 posted:

It looks like Russia might be leaving Melitopol? Is this account reliable?

That would be a dream come true, but I'll believe when I see it.
If they’re giving up melitopol, they're basically giving up the land bridge to Crimea and the Kerch bridge will also become an easy target?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I will laugh myself to death if the Ukrainians used the fear of a counteroffensive to cause Russian withdrawals, rather than actually driving the Russians back via combat.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1654962737494016001

Grozev with a thread on a Q&A with Prigozhin stating that Wagner is done and pulling out, citing artificial shell hunger as a reason.

Notably if you read the (pretty long) Q&A there's lots of details in there but one of them is Prihgozhin saying that the goal of the Bakhmut operation was not to take Bakhmut but Akshually to grind down Ukrainian troops by taking advantageous defensive positions and inflicting maximum casualties on Ukrainian forces.

To which I say lol, lmao

e: the q&a: https://telegra-ph.translate.goog/Otvety-Evgeniya-Prigozhina-na-glavnye-voprosy-kotorye-est-u-obshchestva-05-06?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 6, 2023

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Also significant: he outright confirms that the logistics general the Russians fired for funneling supplies to Wagner on the sly was, in fact, funneling supplies to Wagner on the sly and since he got fired Wagner hasn't been getting anything.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

that's a pretty big claim, giving up a city dozens of mile behind the current lines, the loss of which would cause the russian's southern front an existential crisis. even if they were a very reputable account it's a claim that should be taken with a giant amount of salt

Most of the claims so far are based exclusively on anonymous chatter on telegram.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

mrfart posted:

If they’re giving up melitopol, they're basically giving up the land bridge to Crimea and the Kerch bridge will also become an easy target?

Well they could be pulling active units from the city itself since it is far behind the front lines and they are needed elsewhere to shore up their fronts.

On paper it isn’t a bad idea since if the Ukrainians break through the lines there are going to likely take Melitopol anyway. Having units in more easily defendable or better tactically positions than sitting in a city that can be surrounded and getting resupplied would be sketchy is probably the better idea.

I think it is a sign from Russian Commanders that they don’t feel strong about being able to hold the region during the counter offensive and will be looking to get what they can mobile as quickly as possible.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

mrfart posted:

It cannot possibly be true, the city isn't even under threat at the moment. If Ukraine can take that city in the counter offensive they will have exceeded many peoples expectations, it would be a huge success. There's no way Russia would just give it up.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Djarum posted:

I think it is a sign from Russian Commanders that they don’t feel strong about being able to hold the region during the counter offensive and will be looking to get what they can mobile as quickly as possible.

It could be pure fantasy, wishful thinking, clickbait, sensationalism, or a psyop to demoralize and confuse Russian units.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

spankmeister posted:

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1654962737494016001

Grozev with a thread on a Q&A with Prigozhin stating that Wagner is done and pulling out, citing artificial shell hunger as a reason.

Notably if you read the (pretty long) Q&A there's lots of details in there but one of them is Prihgozhin saying that the goal of the Bakhmut operation was not to take Bakhmut but Akshually to grind down Ukrainian troops by taking advantageous defensive positions and inflicting maximum casualties on Ukrainian forces.

To which I say lol, lmao

e: the q&a: https://telegra-ph.translate.goog/Otvety-Evgeniya-Prigozhina-na-glavnye-voprosy-kotorye-est-u-obshchestva-05-06?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en
Has he really moved up their withdrawal to before Victory Day? Lol if so.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Young Freud posted:

So, the latest* and vaunted Kinzhal hypersonic missile got dusted by a 40 year old weapons platform.

Eh, Patriot has been updated numerous times, in both hardware and software. I'm sure it shares many features if the original, but it's not 40 years old at this point.

If this gets confirmed, and I understand why the US would want to cast some doubt, China is going to be unhappy. It would indicate that US counter-missile capabilities are much better than the US lets on. This war in Ukraine has major implications for the Pacific.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

Eh, Patriot has been updated numerous times, in both hardware and software. I'm sure it shares many features if the original, but it's not 40 years old at this point.

If this gets confirmed, and I understand why the US would want to cast some doubt, China is going to be unhappy. It would indicate that US counter-missile capabilities are much better than the US lets on. This war in Ukraine has major implications for the Pacific.

It's worth noting that the missile isn't the only factor. Sensors, comms/networking, and better software driving things have been the focus of a bunch of upgrades. I'd wager an old PAC-2 from the 90's could be shockingly effective these days compared to the early 90's.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Since Kadryov has stepped in (loving lol at the idea that he can do any better) he can probably leave whenever he feels like and no one has to suffer the shame of watching hard fought battle lines recede on Victory Day

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Kadyrov wearing a pulse oximeter is a legitimate curiosity. Why would he be wearing one? Either he's slaying out and crushing epic mega weights or something is abnormal about his health.

Not defending him and got no skin in the game on this but he's got health issues, its been reported on before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Well, for "withdrawing due to lack of ammo" they sure seem to be throwing around a lot of incindiaries for second night in a row...