Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Jamwad Hilder posted:

you joke but his brothers name is actually Krilin

Oh my god I thought this was a joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I would like to to congratulate our Canadian posters on their new King.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Unbelievable that the refs are loving over the Oilers two games into this series

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Yo Edmonton, Evan Bouchard was the defenseman you were supposed to pay big money to

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Pretty shameful Kulak poo poo talking the guy while he's flat on his back.

https://i.imgur.com/tJHgSeC.mp4

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/amerkshockey/status/1655034247462232064?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

The Amerks were down 2-0 in the series and came back to win it, gently caress yeah. They will face the Toronto Marlies.

I’m gonna post about the Amerks, deal with it :cool:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The Amerks were down 2-0 in the series and came back to win it, gently caress yeah. They will face the Toronto Marlies.

I’m gonna post about the Amerks, deal with it :cool:

Toronto is going to win the Calder Cup

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003

Powershift posted:

Look at the dude loving feeding punches in the background

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mike Works posted:

I didn't see nothin'

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Mike Works posted:

And they say the NHL is boring....

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

This is really just a nice summation of how the game went tonight.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Lol if the SCF is Canes/Oilers again

Lmao if Oilers lose again

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Also... this is the year the Toronto Maple Leafs should have won the Stanley Cup. If it isn't happening this year it is never going to happen. Everything has broken their way.

Instead they're going to go down in 5 to a Paul Maurice team with no goalie, but since the first round was their Stanley Cup ownership is going to call the season a huge success, keep Keefe, and extend Dubas. You love to see it

I’m not saying that I disagree with you here, but one of the things I always find funny about non-Leafs-fan discourse about the team is that they’re simultaneously very bad (poo poo depth, bad goalies, poor coaching) and also very good, cause all the lol-ing about where the team finishes wouldn’t work if people didn’t think they were capable of going far.

The reality is that remaining in the playoffs there’s two teams that were better than them in the regular season, one team tied, and one team that’s tied in wins and only below them because of two loser points. There’s no reason to believe the Leafs should get past any of them, let alone multiple of them, if they did knock off Florida. Which they could still do, Florida’s looked pretty poo poo tbh.

And, honestly, the Leafs 1A and 1B goalies are injured to various degrees and their best player has been reduced to a one-handed decoy. I don’t think many teams could advance under those circumstances, so I think “this was the year” is disingenuous in the same way that people were saying the Montreal series was supposed to be the year (so long as we ignore Tavares’ skull getting reshaped). Winners need to be good, lucky, and healthy and the Leafs are batting .333 at best.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Leafs faced the 14th and now 17th best teams in the regular season. Losing in the second round is a big ol failure.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Koopa Kid posted:

And, honestly, the Leafs 1A and 1B goalies are injured to various degrees and their best player has been reduced to a one-handed decoy. I don’t think many teams could advance under those circumstances

I mean, once the injury reports come out that describes the cup winner most years.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Dirty Burger posted:

Yo Edmonton, Evan Bouchard was the defenseman you were supposed to pay big money to

He's only just about to be an RFA off his entry level

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
I think the “this is their year” narrative is mostly predicated on the trade deadline acquisitions that they will lose after the playoffs, and those traded assets being gone makes it hard to go “all in” again the next year.

Also save some first round picks to get Sam Bennett next year, imo.

Wonderllama fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 7, 2023

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I mean, once the injury reports come out that describes the cup winner most years.

You’re not wrong but usually that stuff happens over the course of many series so by the final it’s more or less evened out between teams, as opposed to all those things happening before the first round even starts. Those teams find themselves eliminated early.

Plus there’s stuff that is obviously bad but is largely pain management, or hindrances that aren’t to core skills. Last year Draisaitl played insanely well through a high ankle sprain, but he could still pass, shoot, and handle pucks effectively. How different do the Oilers runs look if his injury was to his hands, both last year and now?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The leafs have 1 player going RFA and 10!!! players going UFA this off-season.

I wonder if they're going to let a bunch of dudes walk this year to save money to keep Matthews and Nylander the year after next.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The only Leafs UFAs worth looking at are O’Reilly and maybe Samsonov? But their current performance and injury history make even those moves kinda suspect, as good as ROR was in the first few games against Tampa he’s been pretty bad ever since and I don’t think I need to explain why Samsonov is a gamble. The Leafs will be able to make do just fine without Justin Holl and Alex Kerfoot.

Wonderllama posted:

I think the “this is their year” narrative is mostly predicated on the trade deadline acquisitions that they will lose after the playoffs, and those traded assets being gone makes it hard to go “all in” again the next year.

Also save some first round picks to get Sam Bennett next year, imo.

Well the ridiculous thing is that the prompt for Dubas to actually trade for good players for once was that MLSE didn’t extend his contract past this year, so instead of making those moves at an appropriate time he did them to save his job.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Draisaitl has 15 goals in 8 playoff games

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Who the gently caress is newsy lalonde

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

fawning deference posted:

Draisaitl has 15 goals in 8 playoff games

He's approaching Pavelski tier for sure.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/seangentille/status/1655034783796441088

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
and his marriage

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Powershift posted:

The leafs have 1 player going RFA and 10!!! players going UFA this off-season.

I wonder if they're going to let a bunch of dudes walk this year to save money to keep Matthews and Nylander the year after next.

This is loser thread talk and we should be waiting three days before we get into it, but the Leafs do this every year. 7 guys making one million will walk and be replaced with other dudes making one million.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
i think most of the "this is the year" chat stems from the fact that the bounces actually finally seemed to go Toronto's way in the tampa series
That and the best team in the league was no longer in their way

Canes/Cats ECF is gonna be sick

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Lessail posted:

Unbelievable that the refs are loving over the Oilers two games into this series

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/1655031271813439489

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
not since Kevin Bieksa and Ryan Kesler were on the same team has it been so goddamn easy to hate a team

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

this always turns out well for Evander Kane

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mennoknight posted:

not since Kevin Bieksa and Ryan Kesler were on the same team has it been so goddamn easy to hate a team

There was a team that had Matthew Tkachuk and Milan Lucic on it that you hated just as much!!!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I got a good feeling about the Leafs tonight.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Remember when Kane knocked out Matt Cooke? Such simpler times

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/TorontoStar/status/1655260018923405315?s=20

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

it's so sad what the nhl has done to your team. maybe next year they will understand they gotta market their biggest stars :sigh:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lessail posted:

it's so sad what the nhl has done to your team. maybe next year they will understand they gotta market their biggest stars :sigh:

Connor McDavid has all the charisma of an off-white wall.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Arivia posted:

only mcdavid hoisting the cup will grow the game. bettman wants to kill hockey

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Arivia posted:

I don't know about off-white...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lessail posted:

Well if that ain't the pot calling the kettle a racial slur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Lessail posted:

What has the NHL "done to my team" lol.