Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I would simply not commit war crimes

Unless I chose to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

John Murdoch posted:

Totally different devs, completely unrelated projects. The Bureau went through development hell, which is why it took so long to come out and plays nothing like the original concepts. And is why the final product has more than a few holes still in it.

It's also funny for it to come up on its own while we're on the topic of player vs. protagonist. :ssh:

The Bureau is not the best game, but I loved the bit in the spoiler.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

marshmallow creep posted:

:hai:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Agents are GO! posted:

I love how this keeps happening. Like, "if you make a well-crafted offline single-player experience, people will buy it!"

Electronic Arts: *shocked pikachu*

I mean, every game carries risk. Sure, there's a built-in market for X-COM, but that built-in market is from the days when videogames were a pale shadow of what they are now; can even that many "guaranteed" sales be enough to make developing the game worthwhile? Not to mention that plenty of games get released every year that had a lot of labor put into them and then just don't sell well, for whatever reason.

Obviously it was a good decision in retrospect, but we shouldn't assume it was an obvious slam-dunk win.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

oldpainless posted:

Unless I chose to

Spec Ops: The Line lets you decide to commit a war crime by firing into a crowd of non combatants!

And then gives you the achievement "A line crossed "
My favorite thing from that game?
Telling people that they didn't have to cross that line, you can literally not do that

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I mean, every game carries risk. Sure, there's a built-in market for X-COM, but that built-in market is from the days when videogames were a pale shadow of what they are now; can even that many "guaranteed" sales be enough to make developing the game worthwhile? Not to mention that plenty of games get released every year that had a lot of labor put into them and then just don't sell well, for whatever reason.

Obviously it was a good decision in retrospect, but we shouldn't assume it was an obvious slam-dunk win.

I was thinking of more recent games like Jedi: Fallen Order, and contrasting it with everything being a live-service mmo for a while (a fad that, thank gently caress, seems to be dying.)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Was The Bureau always billed as an X-Com game, or did it start development as a stand-alone game?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Randalor posted:

Was The Bureau always billed as an X-Com game, or did it start development as a stand-alone game?

I don't know about internally but it was always know to the public as an xcom game. Iirc they actually release a trailer about it being an xcom game in the sixties, which people liked before they announced it was a shooter.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The Bureau started as a game in which you were a photographer trying to get photos of the aliens in order to warn the public as the government (and aliens) tried to stop you, it was never conceived as a COD-style game. The aliens were also indistinct and blobby, which was sort of kept by the way of certain alien creatures (or bioweapons or something) in the final product.

They couldn't make that work in a balance of fun gameplay and theme, so pivoted while keeping the basic engine they had implemented.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Randalor posted:

It was XCOM Trailer at first, and then became The Bureau iirc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdVb4UnqO7A

I wish they had actually made this a real game, I'm eternally curious how this would've worked in practice once you've moved past the big wall climbing blobs jumping into people's mouths and controlling them as enemy types.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's hard to understate how bad the reception was and how people were quite justified in being pissed, especially since the recent Syndicate game had done something similar in butchering a classic into yet another bland repetitive shooter. And this was the period where the games industry was completely infested with turning everything into a Call of Duty/Gears of War knockoff. And a suit came outright and said 'Nobody plays strategy whatsits anymore, all real modern games are shooters.'

Agents are GO! posted:

I love how this keeps happening. Like, "if you make a well-crafted offline single-player experience, people will buy it!"

Electronic Arts: *shocked pikachu*

Thing is they don't want to make those, they want to make games with lootboxes and cosmetics and all that assorted garbage which they reoriented their entire publishing model around. Speaking of fads it's like when everything wanted to be an MMO and get WoW's money.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I mean, they don't want to make those either, they don't want to make games period, they just want to make money. The issue is how bloated the AAA game development cycle is nowadays, where even something that sells well winds up being a failure if it doesn't generate money for the rest of the year

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Oh yeah, look at Suicide Squad having been in development for like a decade and coming out proudly repping a genre that has completely worn out its welcome and is already saturated in the market.

Someone's said we're probably gonna see a lot of AAA games with the gaas/gacha mechanics hastily ripped out at the last minute in coming years.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s probably been mentioned a bunch, but one of the best feelings in a game is grabbing the the Master Sword in Breath of the Wild and just carving into a Guardian Stalker for the first time. The way it’s arms explode off of it and it just impotently stumbles around is probably the best way the series has ever sold the sheer power of that weapon as explicitly being anti-evil. Also it’s integrated pretty well on the whole, it’s a respectable infinitely regenerating weapon you can use for whatever 80% of the time with a generous cooldown, and jumps way up in power and durability

Also the “my uncle works at Nintendo” way of dealing with Guardians that almost feels like an Easter egg, where you just parry a loving laser beam like it’s Dark Souls to kill them in three hits is also fun as hell, but at least for me is like a 70:30 chance of pulling it off properly or eating poo poo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

My first Guardian kill was more getting right up in its tentacles with a claymore and doing the massive heavy weapon spin move, which means hitting like three tentacles at once plus its core like twice a second once it gets going. Insanely satisfying in a brutally hilarious way. Link fights like a god drat caveman.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

marshmallow creep posted:

Yeah for the record, I actually really like The Bureau.

Morpheus posted:

The Bureau started as a game in which you were a photographer trying to get photos of the aliens in order to warn the public as the government (and aliens) tried to stop you, it was never conceived as a COD-style game. The aliens were also indistinct and blobby, which was sort of kept by the way of certain alien creatures (or bioweapons or something) in the final product.

They couldn't make that work in a balance of fun gameplay and theme, so pivoted while keeping the basic engine they had implemented.

There was also a transitional phase where they tried to make it a more overt action/tactics/strategy blend. Said trailer focused on capturing an alien megaweapon to convert into your own "oh poo poo" call-in. In the final game said weapon appears five minutes before the end of the game as an out of place boss fight, just so they could get some use out of the thing.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's hard to understate how bad the reception was and how people were quite justified in being pissed, especially since the recent Syndicate game had done something similar in butchering a classic into yet another bland repetitive shooter.

Funnily enough Syndicate had the same trajectory of being rabidly hated only to turn out pretty good. (It was a Starbreeze joint after all.)

Post poste posted:

Spec Ops: The Line lets you decide to commit a war crime by firing into a crowd of non combatants!

And then gives you the achievement "A line crossed "
My favorite thing from that game?
Telling people that they didn't have to cross that line, you can literally not do that

That was one of the scenes I really liked.

There's also an early segment where a non-combatant runs right in front of you during a tense yet shooting-free moment. And while it's nothing more than the old cheap trick of light gun games having hostages or w/e pop up to throw you off, the context made it lodge in my head. Crazy ole Walker didn't get too twitchy and kill an innocent, I did. :smith:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

For those without context, the XCOM situation was basically a lot like the DmC Devil May Cry, if they'd quietly backburnered it after announcement it and then announced and released DMC5 instead in the meantime.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

John Murdoch posted:

In the final game said weapon appears five minutes before the end of the game as an out of place boss fight, just so they could get some use out of the thing.

I love when stuff like that happens, I remember Hydrophoba :Prophecy selling the water manipulation powers as a big deal, but they just show up at the literal end of the game, I can't remember if there are even enemies to use it on.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Hel posted:

I love when stuff like that happens, I remember Hydrophoba :Prophecy selling the water manipulation powers as a big deal, but they just show up at the literal end of the game, I can't remember if there are even enemies to use it on.

Dang, there's a game I haven't thought about in a while. I remember kinda liking it, but I never finished it and I remember the, ahem, tide turning on it due to its tech demo-y, ran out money kickstarter-y feel.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It's not the last story mission progress wise it's just the last one in general for Library of Ruina. I went back and did an old mission last night before calling it a night and when I loaded the game today it was a screen based off that one

The music in the game is also a banger. String Theocracy is a good time and the battle music is a banger as well

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Spec Ops should have made the mortar more of a thing before that scene: have a couple setpieces where you could use one to cheese minor but tough sniper fights at a distance and THEN break out the civilian casualties and make you walk through the aftermath once you get used to going for that win button.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There's a similar scene in Homefront on 360 about how those kind of weapons are terrible, where one of the commanders goes rogue and throws out a white phosphorous attack, but it has a glitch in the aiming system and he ends up hitting most of his own team.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

When I'm not busy giving the police more unilateral power to break down your door and kill you because they got a 9 and a 6 mixed up on an address, I promise to start a government fund to keep making more remakes of Spec Ops: The Line till eventually no gamer feels guilty for the actions of Delta Force operator Captain Martin Walker who are also them.

I will be providing a 24/7 service via toll-free hotline for anyone who still feels like they also killed American soldiers by playing Spec Ops: The Line to report themselves so we can have them arrested and tried for warcrimes.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
At one point in Jedi: Survivor Cal gets kissed and I don't if it was intentional for my controller to rumble

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Octopath 2 has this great sense of something terrible at the edge of everything going on in the disparate plots, and even the loading screen is a part of it. As you complete certain character's stories or combined chapters, the lights on the loading screen sigil unceremoniously stop being lit up one-by-one...

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And a suit came outright and said 'Nobody plays strategy whatsits anymore, all real modern games are shooters.'

I don't remember what was actually said, but if this really happened, it's pretty funny considering the strategy XCOM had already been in development for a while (although I'm not sure when they actually finished prototyping and made it a serious project)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's hard to understate how bad the reception was and how people were quite justified in being pissed, especially since the recent Syndicate game had done something similar in butchering a classic into yet another bland repetitive shooter. And this was the period where the games industry was completely infested with turning everything into a Call of Duty/Gears of War knockoff. And a suit came outright and said 'Nobody plays strategy whatsits anymore, all real modern games are shooters.'

Thing is they don't want to make those, they want to make games with lootboxes and cosmetics and all that assorted garbage which they reoriented their entire publishing model around. Speaking of fads it's like when everything wanted to be an MMO and get WoW's money.

Syndicate fps was actually low key really good, one of the better cyberpunk games. Like with XCOM it copped a lot of rage for incorrectly assuming people didn't want tactics and strategy anymore

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The funny part is where they convince themselves that those type of games are what customers want, and that there's an infinite market for those games. While I feel like I'm just retreading a lot of the recent Jimquisition videos, I think she was right when she pointed out that a lot of the suits absolutely do not care about videogames as anything but products, and they'd just as soon be in any other industry. I think that's why the video game industry keeps doing the same stupid poo poo and making the same stupid decisions over and over and over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3yJ7vluW_E

Like I can't remember I'd it was this video where Steph mentions that the Square-Enix would've made a profit last year if it wasn't for the Avengers live-service garbage - LMAO, eat poo poo.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Alhazred posted:

Spec Ops also has a very weird loading screen that as far as I know only appear once and only if you die at a certain point in the game.

It's a super interesting one to get, too.

The whole game is Walker's story. People get super up in arms, but the game tells a pretty decent story and it's weird to get massively upset about things when nearly the entire plot is bases on (ending spoilers) a dude hallucinating messages on a radio

BioEnchanted posted:

There's a similar scene in Homefront on 360 about how those kind of weapons are terrible, where one of the commanders goes rogue and throws out a white phosphorous attack, but it has a glitch in the aiming system and he ends up hitting most of his own team.

I played that game last year on gamepass and despite it only having like 9 levels I felt like each one of them contained a war crime

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

credburn posted:

Spec Ops: The Line's main menu screen reflects the state of your latest saved game.

Hotline Miami's loading screen tips change from basic gameplay stuff to things like "you've done enough", "pay for your crimes", and "stop breathing" once your character gets shot and lands in the hospital

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Spec Ops also has a very weird loading screen that as far as I know only appear once and only if you die at a certain point in the game.

iirc it has two: one is a grayscale photo looping with a child's voice humming in the background, the other you get if you die to the hallucinated lugo and consists of his silhouette and a warped voice shouting "stop! just loving stop!"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Spec Ops also has a pretty great ending sequence. After all the events of the game, a rescue squad shows up and finds Walker sitting alone in the ruins of Dubai. There are three possible actions you can take here.

You can go back with them, in which case you get a cutscene about surviving

You can fight them and die since there are a lot of them and they’re well armed, and get a cutscene about whether or not soldiers can go home

Or you can fight them and win, in which case it’s strongly implied you become the new warlord of Dubai

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i've always been a big fan of spec ops but i think my favorite little thing is the gradual inversion of the enemies' behavior versus the player characters'. when you first start to encounter the damned 33rd, they're cracked-out maniacs who curse each other out and openly panic as walker and co. keep their cool. by the time you're in the heart of dubai, the remaining enemy soldiers are cold as ice while the pc's chatter mostly consists of blood-gargling profanity

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

haveblue posted:

Spec Ops also has a pretty great ending sequence. After all the events of the game, a rescue squad shows up and finds Walker sitting alone in the ruins of Dubai. There are three possible actions you can take here.

You can go back with them, in which case you get a cutscene about surviving

You can fight them and die since there are a lot of them and they’re well armed, and get a cutscene about whether or not soldiers can go home

Or you can fight them and win, in which case it’s strongly implied you become the new warlord of Dubai

And the third has possibly the greatest line delivery in gaming

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

sebmojo posted:

And the third has possibly the greatest line delivery in gaming

https://youtu.be/ctF-dVNR4jo

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Oxxidation posted:

i've always been a big fan of spec ops but i think my favorite little thing is the gradual inversion of the enemies' behavior versus the player characters'. when you first start to encounter the damned 33rd, they're cracked-out maniacs who curse each other out and openly panic as walker and co. keep their cool. by the time you're in the heart of dubai, the remaining enemy soldiers are cold as ice while the pc's chatter mostly consists of blood-gargling profanity

Everyone probably already knows this, but the actors for Walker and his squad recorded all their lines in one long marathon session, so by the end of it, their voices were sore and they were getting tired, which only helped the performance (but probably sucked a lot to deal with at the time).

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Playing as bad people doing bad things owns because that's an experience is unique to video games.

I can't really put into words at 7:30 am.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

Playing as bad people doing bad things owns because that's an experience is unique to video games.

I can't really put into words at 7:30 am.

I am pretty sure all I have to do is look at the state of the world to confirm that is absolutely not an experience unique to video games.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ok 2nd best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The thing about moral choices in games is that sometimes a choice will seem bad but I want to pick it to call the game's bluff. Like, are they actually going to let me do it?