Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

whenever i expect i will have to perform minor surgery using tools found in my junk drawer i just open the drawer and dump a liter of rubbing alcohol in and swish it around a bit to get all the miasma out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

blatman posted:

whenever i expect i will have to perform minor surgery using tools found in my junk drawer i just open the drawer and dump a liter of rubbing alcohol in and swish it around a bit to get all the miasma out

What, you don't torch it with a butane lighter too?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Kibbles n Shits posted:

What, you don't torch it with a butane lighter too?

those are in the junk drawer too and by the time i remember that step they're too wet to light

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Frosted Flake posted:

My pharmacy is out of Dexys and even the generic, and apparently backordered for weeks?

You also can’t switch the prescription to Ritalin or Adderall on the fly?

Seems bad.
Dexys are the best. In America the supply chain has been sabotaged with legal restrictions to make sure no ADD pills are diverted to addicts. They would rather make everyone with ADD suffer from constant shortages than let any pills go to recreational users. They're just going to switch to meth if they're that desperate for stims anyway. Sadistic demon country.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Yall can have my quota of brain pills. I'm in academia so whatever's wrong with me is terminal and incurable.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

loving hell

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
My meds were constantly, randomly running out of stock so I spent 3 months with my psych trying out alternatives.

When we finally got the dose right, that med was immediately hit with a nationwide shortage. Here we go again!

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
I stockpiled a bunch of pills right before I started some new meds for my Crohn’s disease because insurance won’t approve both drugs at the same time even though I need them.

One or the other, so now I’m back to having problems again.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, I was assuming the OP was looking for a new or nearly-new car, which is where you're going to get really devastated on prices right now no matter what you do.

Okay-ish deals on older cars exist if you can buy them through trustworthy dealers or shops, but you also have to be a lot more careful. I'm still ultimately kind of down on those deals because super cheap and reliable beaters just don't really exist anymore, and haven't for at least a few years. I can't speak for anywhere else, but any car around here for <$4k is going to be riddled with catastrophic issues if it's not just completely undrivable. I've done a complete rebuild on an engine with a blown head gasket before and I still wouldn't be comfortable buying anything I could find that range.

Where roughly are you?

Azuth0667 posted:

Is this not what the tcc goons and half the at goons are doing?

I don't think they are using sewing needles.

Frosted Flake posted:

My pharmacy is out of Dexys and even the generic, and apparently backordered for weeks?

You also can’t switch the prescription to Ritalin or Adderall on the fly?

Seems bad.

The first part obviously sucks but it should probably be beyond the remit of a pharmacist to just switch drugs like that, particularly to the very different Ritalin.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Weka posted:

Where roughly are you?

I don't think they are using sewing needles.

The first part obviously sucks but it should probably be beyond the remit of a pharmacist to just switch drugs like that, particularly to the very different Ritalin.

counterpoint: the pharmacist is way more trained in drugs and their interactions than the rando NP who prescribes them to you.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/dylan522p/status/1655048861084450816?t=jHU-Lz7jcYAOe8frY8mVNw&s=19

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

lol intel is such a stupid loving company, so of course feds just gave them billions of people's money for free

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Xaris posted:

lol intel is such a stupid loving company, so of course feds just gave them billions of people's money for free

dude it's called intel, do you think they are not literally the feds

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

CHIPS act and the trade war against China going great

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Xaris posted:

It's incredible that supposedly the West has this stranglehold on state of the art chip manufacturing but then one of the two big players keeps bleeding itself white

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

we need to go back to the potato chip...

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

finally, we can actually make Doom run on a potato

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

maxwellhill posted:

dude it's called intel, do you think they are not literally the feds
even feds would run a more competent company than intel but touche. it's seriously the textbook definition of "value trap" and execs are total loving morons

that said i am considering a 13700k or something for the first time in like 10 years so maybe im also a dumbass

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Xaris posted:

even feds would run a more competent company than intel but touche. it's seriously the textbook definition of "value trap" and execs are total loving morons

that said i am considering a 13700k or something for the first time in like 10 years so maybe im also a dumbass

It's really hard to understate how hard Intel hosed themselves over this past decade or so, and it's not just consumer level stuff. This has been a long time coming, and the other shoe has finally dropped. Here's a quick example from a youtuber who goes deep on chip industry stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNXlRdAKWTE&t=670s

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Zimbabwe plows ahead with their plans to offer a gold-backed digital currency starting tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/crypto/status/1655060908253609984

FT posted:

The Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe said the tokens would “expand the value-preserving instruments available in the economy”, a reference to a sharp drop in the value of the Zimbabwe dollar. But the planned launch throws a spotlight on another round of currency chaos driven by the ruling Zanu-PF party’s use of money printing ahead of elections this summer.
The launch on Monday will follow the issuance last July of physical gold coins as stores of value.
The central bank has said the digital tokens will be backed by gold in its reserves and will be redeemable at international prices after 180 days. But analysts have called the scheme a distraction from the root causes of the currency crisis.

The token issue “has absolutely nothing to do with what’s happening on the ground — it is a sideshow”, said Tinashe Murapata, an economist, who added that the central bank had given few additional details on the physical gold backing for the token scheme, such as storage or auditing.

As ordinary Zimbabweans turn away from the local currency, its slide “is the thing [the bank] should be worried about”, Murapata said.
The central bank said gold coin sales, worth up to Z$25bn up to the end of March, had “aided the dissipation of domestic inflationary pressures”.

But because the digital gold tokens will be linked to the official currency rate, analysts have said the bank is propping up demand for the Zimbabwe dollar by effectively offering them at a discount to the parallel rate.

“There is a very clear arbitrage opportunity through participating in the forex auction or buying gold coins,” said Richard Honey of Harare-based Msasa Capital, an investment advisory firm.

pnumoman posted:

Here's a quick example from a youtuber who goes deep on chip industry stuff.

absolute technobabble word salad to my ears but I believe you

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/business/status/1655134395223748610?s=20

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Xaris posted:

AMD's latest chips keep setting themselves on fire so Doomsday Economics aside I would go for Intel if you're at all planning on a computer/upgrade this year

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

dunno does a chip on fire give better performance and higher frame rate

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Will be interesting to see the outcome of low-end copywriting getting replaced by AI

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

shrike82 posted:

Will be interesting to see the outcome of low-end copywriting getting replaced by AI

Adapt to becoming a carpenter I guess. Probably plenty of work in welding, roofing, that sort of thing.

Of course those are icky poo sweaty jobs that only the uncouth lower classes do so I'm sure they'll just e-beg for lattes.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
What's funny is that the OP says they want to become a plumber, and there are a handful of plumbers in that thread saying they don't feel safe because they think AI is going to result in trade deskilling.

Which, like, maybe, but I think people in general are just riding high on anxiety over this stuff right now. Residential trades and construction are under far more threat by insane housing prices and any kind of potential collapse of middle-income jobs.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

It's still early days. I'd expect offshore tech support/content writing/software dev to be the first wave to get replaced by LLMs

Like the Reddit post suggests, cheap beats good and offshore work is expensive for the quality of output

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

AI / LLM clauses (or lack thereof) in the WGA negotiations will be very important to keep an eye out for

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

shrike82 posted:

i feel like this exact same post was already posted several weeks ago

anyways i don't have a ton of sympathy working in the ad-tech/recruiter/hr/ world. copy writing is just advertising trying to convicne people ot consume useless cult/self-help/hustle/supplement industry poo poo. all that is actually bona fide replaceable because it's already algorithmic generic slurry ala marketing equivalent of soylent. it's already long been a template of "low testerone? sad? packed on extra weight? [PRODUCT NAME] will change your life! BUY [PRODUCT NAME] NOW! And get 10% off your first order with promo code GOATSE! and just copy+pasting a new product name and they're all the same

Xaris has issued a correction as of 12:17 on May 7, 2023

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Yeah. I have a billion posts in this thread saying that LLMs are basically trash and not really producing usable output for the things people want, but I think that's a distinct problem from whether or not they're going to impact jobs. Lots of employers are going to dive head first into the empty concrete pool anyway because it's cheaper than buying water.

Customer service and certain aspects of HR are absolutely boned, though.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Most chatgpt text I have seen larger than a small portion end up mostly non-sense. If he is doing low level copy writing, I don’t know if I would call him an author to be honest.

Otherwise, I haven’t seen chatgpt put out fiction/non-fiction prose that isn’t drivel.

Also, I don’t know how chatgpt would ever accomplish anything than actually is based on original search and at best could throw a bunch of journal articles in a blender.

Yeah, they are specifically be trained to do certain tasks but there is also a limit of that complexity.

——-

Personally I think 90% is just viral marketing by Alphabet. It isn’t an accident that YouTube another Alphabet asset is pushing similar stories constantly about a month ago.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 12:33 on May 7, 2023

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
who cares! it's fucken free! you can make infinite garbage!

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Most laymen just use LLMs as chatbots relying on their internal knowledge. The models get a lot more commercial when you pair them with retrieval/embedding models

And chatgpt are generic all purpose models - the ones fine-tuned for domains perform noticeably better

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mola Yam posted:

who cares! it's fucken free! you can make infinite garbage!

This. Just hit "generate" until you get something acceptable. No charge!

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Orvin posted:

Gotta love when you can directly draw the line from a company loving around to finding out.

At least for Comcast (I am sure others as well) you used to be able to call in to customer service and threaten to cancel and get a bunch of money off your bill for 6 months to a year. And you would just have to keep doing that every so often to keep your bill $50ish (or more) lower. About 2 years ago or so, Comcast stopped offering any retention deals at all.

I finally sat down and ran the numbers and even when I had to sign up for CBS All access (now Paramount) because CBS comes in like poo poo on an antenna, I was still saving like $120 a month to drop cable that I wasn’t really watching. And we already had a bunch of streaming services because we have young kids.

My parents had a similar story. They tried to get Comcast to lower the bill. When Comcast refused last year, they switched to AT&T. A week later Comcast called and tried to offer them something. My parents were pretty much “gently caress you, we went through the hassle of switching, we are not switching back”.

An arsonist burned down my house awhile back and when I called Comcast to get a new modem, they billed me for the replacement and told me I was "responsible for the replacement as per the contract". It's not like I intentionally destroyed it I didn't plan on someone destroying literally everything I owned, I wasn't in the best place to drop $100+ when I was trying to build my life back from nothing, gently caress Comcast.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
But AI just copies and blends things other people have already made I say to myself, as I look at my wall of collectors boxed sci fi & comic toy garbage & DVDs that I used for writing inspiration trying to break into hollywood.

(leaning back on bean bag chair with apple laptop covered in hipster stickers and political slogans)

Hmm what about a man... no a robot, who is an alien bitten by a spider that gives super powers? No wait a time travelling spider, from the future. And robo-man-spider battles an ancient cult from the dark ages that wants to spread childhood obesity to conque the world. Oh and we'll set it in Africa. Wow I'm a genius. When I submit this to the big leagues money is just going to roll in.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

If you’re having trouble getting ADHD meds from your pharmacy, switch to your local hospitals pharmacy.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
An unsolicited grocery flyer showed up in my mailbox for the first time since Easter 2020.

Nature is healing.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/ReutersAg/status/1654165888449249298?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

mama mia!