Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The AppleTV is the only box that doesn’t feel like it’s designed to just throw advertisements in your face on every page. Just remember to set your home button to return to the Home Screen and not the TV app, and put apps at the top that actually utilize the “continue watching” space (like the TV app, Disney+, etc).

I just wish they’d allow apps to output TrueHD in some way. The only box that does that is a Shield Pro, which is 5 years old, $200, and has Google TV’s ad-ridden interface (ironically enough, the YouTube TV app for iOS is better, too)

You can de-crapify Rokus and Google TVs, buts it’s a hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also if you have an iPhone the Apple TV can do some color correction to make the picture a bit better.

I recently got a new tv and the Apple TV adjustments were a bit better tbh.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
apple tv is pretty great overall. remotes are kinda frustrating, especially if you lose and have to replace them

some of the buttons don't correspond super well to a regular remote using hdmi-cec. i still can't figure out if there's a way to close apps without a late-gen remote

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I never close apps I just click the home button

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
it's mostly just for when an app bugs out and i have to force close it. i think the hbo app is the worst offender, but i use it so rarely that i don't have to do the occasional reboot

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah there is a way to do it I just don’t remember off hand.

Most of the apps I end up having to kill are the stupid network ones that are already poo poo.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Double click the home button and swipe up to close

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Thanks for the responses goons.

kri kri posted:

The Apple TV is also much more pleasant to use.

How so, UI fluidity or what? Responsiveness?

Does the Apple TV remote allow you to control the volume on a soundbar?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 18, 2023

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

kri kri posted:

Double click the home button and swipe up to close

Yeah, it's literally the exact same way the previous gen remotes did it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Just bumping this for my edits :gbsmith:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The Apple TV's UI is very simple and isn't cluttered with ads.

It's more fluid than the Google TVs/Rokus/Amazon boxes I've used, and many app developers prioritize the tvOS app experience over other platforms.

Almost every streaming box nowadays has ARC/eARC functionality to control external soundbars via remote. The latest Apple TV supports HDMI 2.1 as well.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 24, 2023

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Excellent, all what I was hoping to hear :awesomelon:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Be advised that at least with my soundbar/LG OLED connected through eARC telling Siri on the phone to turn the TV volume to X value will re-activate the internal speakers of the TV for some reason.

Otherwise it’s super neat, basically it doesn’t care which remote you use for sound (and sometimes other stuff), Apple TV, the TV remote or the soundbar remote. Also: I don’t know if it was a recent update or soundbar related but now I can turn the Apple TV volume up and down with the iOS remote app too, that didn’t work previously (just use the volume buttons on the phone)

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
In the last few weeks my Infuse Pro install has started losing its metadata on a daily basis. After years of no problems, and I hadn't changed anything when it began.
A cursory glimpse at the Infuse forums tells me that this is a common problem that has existed for years.

So, is there another quality player that can handle 4K video native? I keep my media on a Plex server.
Plex sucks for 4K playback, which is why I switched to Infuse, not to mention the garbage streaming crap Plex insists on unhiding every time I open it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

CaptainCrunch posted:

In the last few weeks my Infuse Pro install has started losing its metadata on a daily basis. After years of no problems, and I hadn't changed anything when it began.
A cursory glimpse at the Infuse forums tells me that this is a common problem that has existed for years.

So, is there another quality player that can handle 4K video native? I keep my media on a Plex server.
Plex sucks for 4K playback, which is why I switched to Infuse, not to mention the garbage streaming crap Plex insists on unhiding every time I open it.

Did you already try turning off iCloud sync (and/or anything similar)?

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

astral posted:

Did you already try turning off iCloud sync (and/or anything similar)?

I have not! I will try that. In Infuse's own settings, yes?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The one thing that made me laugh was the prop department screwing up the paper note in episode 2. The second time you see it, it’s completely different to the first (I’d paused it to read it the first time, doesn’t even use the same words). Continuity!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

The one thing that made me laugh was the prop department screwing up the paper note in episode 2. The second time you see it, it’s completely different to the first (I’d paused it to read it the first time, doesn’t even use the same words). Continuity!
Episode 2 of AppleTV

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Does anyone else use the spectrum streaming app? I’m having some wild disconnect issues but only with that app.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

MarcusSA posted:

Does anyone else use the spectrum streaming app? I’m having some wild disconnect issues but only with that app.

I use it along with the streaming website. they're both dogshit and I have issues all the time.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

I use it along with the streaming website. they're both dogshit and I have issues all the time.

It’s the only app I have that seems to disconnect the hdmi from the TV. I have no idea what is going on with it because it’s random as hell as well.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Endless Mike posted:

Episode 2 of AppleTV

Dammit, I realized I was about to make this mistake earlier and caught myself. Meant for the AppleTV+ thread.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

MarcusSA posted:

It’s the only app I have that seems to disconnect the hdmi from the TV. I have no idea what is going on with it because it’s random as hell as well.

I try to use the app from the content provider (ESPN, NBC, etc) instead of the Spectrum app when possible. There's a few exceptions though. For some reason I can watch TCM on the streaming app/website even though my package doesn't include it, which means I can't use my provider login on the TCM website.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

CaptainCrunch posted:

I have not! I will try that. In Infuse's own settings, yes?

Yes.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I’m having an issue on my lg c2 connected to an Apple TV that is beginning to get annoying. I have YouTube tv and every time I switch to a new channel, the picture will come up for a second then it goes to a black screen for about another second then back to the channel. I’ve messed around in the Apple TV settings and noticed it only happens when Dolby Vision or 4k hdr are enabled, if I switch to 4k sdr the issue goes away. Anyone else seen this issue? I have the feeling the answer is going to be leave it on 4k sdr or deal with it. If that is the case, will I still be able to watch DV or hdr videos?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
the youtube app is rear end and literally the main reason to set your apple tv to "4k sdr" with "match content", because it will blow out the default sdr and show it as what you've set it to otherwise

as for dv/hdr content, it's probably easier to just test and see what they look like with the different settings. i've never really watched one on youtube on the tv except right after i got it

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

kliras posted:

the youtube app is rear end and literally the main reason to set your apple tv to "4k sdr" with "match content", because it will blow out the default sdr and show it as what you've set it to otherwise

as for dv/hdr content, it's probably easier to just test and see what they look like with the different settings. i've never really watched one on youtube on the tv except right after i got it

Ok thanks, have it set to sdr, that will do for now. I swear it wasn’t doing this before but I’ve been switching back and forth between this and a nvidia shield pro trying to decide which I like better, not sure if I even subscribed to YouTube tv the last time I used it so maybe it’s not new.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Thanks. I've done that. So far, it hasn't dumped metadata. But then, it's only been a few hours.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

kliras posted:

Is it rear end compared to the Roku app? (Not that I think the Roku Youtube app is rear end, just that that's my frame of reference)

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

olives black posted:

Is it rear end compared to the Roku app? (Not that I think the Roku Youtube app is rear end, just that that's my frame of reference)
no idea. if the colours are blown out on sdr content with hdr/dovi enabled, then probably. i'd just take a photo with my phone for it with default settings vs match content to compare

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

In case anyone is looking to pick up a 3rd Generation AppleTV 4K (2022 model) at a discount, they just hit the Apple Refurbished Store.

The 64GB model with WiFi only is $109 refurbished, and the 128 GB model with WiFi and Ethernet is $129.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 17, 2023

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
How are the Twitch and Pluralsight apps on Apple TV? I'm lazy and want to learn how to computer without having to sit in front of computer

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Twitch seems fine the times I’ve used it.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Twitch is fine except that if you watch VODs it keeps losing your place in my experience, but I think that might just be Twitch sucking at VODs because it also does that on every other platform.

Can’t speak to Pluralsight but every obscure streaming app I’ve tried has been great, it’s only the big ones that gently caress it up, like how YouTube managed to break AirPlay somehow.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
realistically, you're not going to watch a lot of twitch. i don't think the delay is that bad nowadays for stuff like watching events, though; it used to be awful compared to mobile

the best way to watch twitch is through pip, but i don't think it's available on tvos. depends on the kinds of streamers you watch of course. the main problem with non-desktop twitch are all the third-party emotes most streamers use that won't display without the extensions nowadays

also they improved the seeking and scrubbing so you don't have to use the fast forward crap anymore. i also think it's more consistent about saving you watch position now; it used to be terrible

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Pluralsight one was fine last time I used it.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
I’ve got an Apple TV 4K first gen.

Am I missing anything with the newer ones?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No karaoke mode in Apple Music, but that's it, I think.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Technically the remote is better but it isn’t worth upgrading (you can also buy the remote separate to work with your current one).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
the only major feature you'd miss is thread networking for newer smarthome things. i had to upgrade mine for that, but otherwise i would have kept it for at least a few more years, if not more. if you don't care about thread or dont know what it is then you're fine.

im mad that i lost my pacman 256 high score :mad: