Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I would recommend against this
The Mr. Hands of the King

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Just remembered PIMCO'S BALLS

Quinch
Oct 21, 2008

Stereotype posted:

how dare you suggest that Investors aren't infallible geniuses whose keen observations and prescient business acumen keep the American economy and technological development constantly innovating and succeeding. That's why they get all the money: because they're really smart and make good decisions

I read that Google’s medical investment arm were interested in investing but when they got no answers to simple questions like “doesn’t this break like 3 laws of physics?” they bailed

edit: it’s mentioned in this article which is a good read and has multiple wtf moments: https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/09/elizabeth-holmes-theranos-exclusive

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

cat botherer posted:

Touch the Royal Cock Ring.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

err posted:

gently caress those royal horses

thank you former vice president

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

FlapYoJacks posted:

Touch the Royal Cock Ring.

ai still can’t draw hands i see

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Centrist Committee posted:

ai still can’t draw hands i see

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Ardennes posted:

Most chatgpt text I have seen larger than a small portion end up mostly non-sense.

Most advertising text I have seen larger than a small portion end up mostly non-sense.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

cat botherer posted:

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

1glitch0 posted:

I worked in television and they were already transitioning from human closed captioners to machine generated captioning. They were absolutely terrible but apparently meet the standard for required closed captioning so there you go.

Most accessibility requirements are "as long as you tried"

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

gradenko_2000 posted:

AMD's latest chips keep setting themselves on fire so Doomsday Economics aside I would go for Intel if you're at all planning on a computer/upgrade this year

It's just one particular type the 7x00-X3D and it was kinda expected to be problematic even before they announced they were making them because they have an insulated blanket over the hot stuff. Also I think it's fixed already judging from articles from two weeks ago. These were $450, $600 and $700 chips paired with > $500 motherboards so while it's a serious lol that the deep pockets bleeding edge guys got literally burned on them it's not something most buyers are going to ever see.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

ram dass in hell posted:

her false baritone or whatver u wanna call it ruled and more people should do it... should be required to be taken seriously just get bassy

I used to share an office with a guy who dropped his voice an octave whenever he answered a phonecall. He said it made him sound "tougher". He was a huge dork and everyone laughed at him.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Quinch posted:

I read that Google’s medical investment arm were interested in investing but when they got no answers to simple questions like “doesn’t this break like 3 laws of physics?” they bailed

edit: it’s mentioned in this article which is a good read and has multiple wtf moments: https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/09/elizabeth-holmes-theranos-exclusive

that cracks me up. I dealt with an acquisition once in a peripheral fashion but ended up at dinner with the money people and I talked to them about having done my own due diligence on it and what the obvious problems were in the transparently-fake company they were buying. Not even technical problems, but serious financial problems in their public filings that should have been gigantic red flags to anyone who's done any investing/M&A work.

They thanked me for my concerns, did it anyway and oops all grift! they lost so much money and i laugh every time i think about it. Bankruptcies, one of them had to sell (one) of his houses, just good times all around.

I knew the rich were all idiots before then but it never really viscerally stuck until that moment just how incredibly dumb they all are.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
i was in college when theranos was founded and my dipshit Bio53-taking pre-med rear end could say with certainty she was full of poo poo. watching my nominally elite-educated classmates as well as everyone else hopping on her dick for ten years was a big crack-pinger for me, a definite contribution to my overall radicalization. it was so self-evidently stupid.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
what was theranos' claim to fame, just blood tests or something?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

RadiRoot posted:

magical star trek tricorder technology blood tests for 999999999999 issues with a tiny prick. yes

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

RadiRoot posted:

convincing old white people to give them money

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Harik posted:

that cracks me up. I dealt with an acquisition once in a peripheral fashion but ended up at dinner with the money people and I talked to them about having done my own due diligence on it and what the obvious problems were in the transparently-fake company they were buying. Not even technical problems, but serious financial problems in their public filings that should have been gigantic red flags to anyone who's done any investing/M&A work.

They thanked me for my concerns, did it anyway and oops all grift! they lost so much money and i laugh every time i think about it. Bankruptcies, one of them had to sell (one) of his houses, just good times all around.

I knew the rich were all idiots before then but it never really viscerally stuck until that moment just how incredibly dumb they all are.

The fact that wealth is 100% luck being paired with the urge to think that wealth is because of intelligence forms the faulty foundation of the entire economy. Don't knock it.

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 23:38 on May 7, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
a lot of the tech fellatio hype train comes about from essentially a liberal ideological indoctrination. liberalism and technocracy are indivisibly intertwined; and most people are liberal ideologists. we're in the post-end-of-history era that has, for most people growing up in the 80s-90s drank the end of history kool-aid so hard, which, turned out to be total dud garbage: US genocidal forever-wars, housing blasting off to the stratosphere, consolidation of enterprises, destruction of third-spaces, increasing privatization and subscription-as-as-service, regression of rights, rapidly declining material conditions, increasing destruction and destitution across most of the country. the end-of-history was a lie that most people absorbed into their very brain but there's that dialectic of reality/lived experiences vs ideology that causes mental rupture. everyone has experienced legitimate decline and loss of a future, but that's Not The Way It Should Be!

enter technocracy as a means to envision a better future is Coming Soon(TM). there's always some new technology that's going to improve the status quo once and for all, but it never comes. you could say the lived experiences of the superstructure are directly contradicting people's liberalistic ideology and people ultimately don't know how to rectify the discrepency. so there always must be some new Pop Sci thing on the horizon that's going to fix the superstructure without disrupting the substructure that We Believe In.

be it self driving cars, or magical elon tunnels, or electric cars, or magical tech capsule-hotels, or CRISPR, or live-work spaces, or magical blood tests that's going to make testing affordable to the masses, or whatever stupid TED(x) talk is blabbing on about. these outlets exist to sell a future to liberals because once you lose the liberals, you lose the game.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 23:29 on May 7, 2023

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

RadiRoot posted:

Holmes claimed she had invented a process in which they could do basically all test and more with a single pin prick of blood with a tiny little device. Anyone with any knowledge at all of how blood works to begin with saw this was bullshit but this started up during the same time Tesla really took off where you had succlibs with the I loving LOVE SCIENCE nerd chic going on and lib media was desperate to hold up any and all capitalists who claimed they were super scientists as examples of how actually capitalism was good because it was inventing THE FUTURE. Holmes collapsed because she made the mistake of basing her bullshit around something actually testable whereas Musk basically has been spiting scifi nonsense of your Tesla giving you an automated blow job on Mars and because it’s pure fantasy that’s always a nebulous future date But Soon! he gets to keep lying and grifting still

Dr. VooDoo has issued a correction as of 23:30 on May 7, 2023

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Bad Blood is a pretty good read about Theranos and people are forgetting about Sunny Balwani - the other major figure at the company who also had some weird abusive relationship with Holmes

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Mustached Demon posted:

convincing old white people to give them money
Being a thirst trap for Henry Kissinger

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

shrike82 posted:

Bad Blood is a pretty good read about Theranos and people are forgetting about Sunny Balwani - the other major figure at the company who also had some weird abusive relationship with Holmes

The article blames him for "the Voice"

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

cat botherer posted:

she failed miserably there and should be imprisoned for that

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

shrike82 posted:

ok

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
she wasnt a girlboss, she was a girl being bossed. this article is brought to you by the people who wrote positively about a curious man named adolf hitler.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

anime was right posted:

she wasnt a girlboss, she was a girl being bossed. this article is brought to you by the people who wrote positively about a curious man named adolf hitler.

lol

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I am always amazed at how much unquestioning faith the general mass of idiots have in Musk.

I had a coworker that had put down a preorder on a Cybertruck the instant they were announced. He saw 500 miles of range for $60k in a truck form and didn’t think of anything else. Somehow we got talking about it back in 2021 before new car prices really took off. I already knew it was bullshit, as the Model S with the same super long range batteries was just delayed indefinitely (at least at the time). He wouldn’t hear the fact that just basic corporate greed would ensure that an EV with 500 miles of range would first be released on their $150k+ platform, and not on a $60k unproven platform. He swore up and down that the Cybertruck was totally going to hit its production date that year, and Musk was totally going to honor the prices mentioned on the reservation lists.

I am so glad I rarely had to interact with that idiot.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Xaris posted:

a lot of the tech fellatio hype train comes about from essentially a liberal ideological indoctrination. liberalism and technocracy are indivisibly intertwined; and most people are liberal ideologists. we're in the post-end-of-history era that has, for most people growing up in the 80s-90s drank the end of history kool-aid so hard, which, turned out to be total dud garbage: US genocidal forever-wars, housing blasting off to the stratosphere, consolidation of enterprises, destruction of third-spaces, increasing privatization and subscription-as-as-service, regression of rights, rapidly declining material conditions, increasing destruction and destitution across most of the country. the end-of-history was a lie that most people absorbed into their very brain but there's that dialectic of reality/lived experiences vs ideology that causes mental rupture. everyone has experienced legitimate decline and loss of a future, but that's Not The Way It Should Be!

enter technocracy as a means to envision a better future is Coming Soon(TM). there's always some new technology that's going to improve the status quo once and for all, but it never comes. you could say the lived experiences of the superstructure are directly contradicting people's liberalistic ideology and people ultimately don't know how to rectify the discrepency. so there always must be some new Pop Sci thing on the horizon that's going to fix the superstructure without disrupting the substructure that We Believe In.

be it self driving cars, or magical elon tunnels, or electric cars, or magical tech capsule-hotels, or CRISPR, or live-work spaces, or magical blood tests that's going to make testing affordable to the masses, or whatever stupid TED(x) talk is blabbing on about. these outlets exist to sell a future to liberals because once you lose the liberals, you lose the game.

when elon takes me and my ai friends to mars, things will be good

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Rectal Death Adept posted:

The fact that wealth is 100% luck being paired with the urge to think that wealth is because of intelligence forms the faulty foundation of the entire economy. Don't knock it.

i just think it's funny that they had way more money than any human needs and they were so loving stupid that they lost enough that it wasn't just dropping some places on the scoreboard: it impacted their lives in material ways.

I'm in a weird position where i've just kept on keeping on making just enough to live on (sub-poverty for a long stretch, under 200% FPL right now) but I've trained or mentored people who went on to make way more than I have so I know a lot of people with way the gently caress too much money. It's mostly they were younger than me at the right time and no family so they sought their fortune at tech startups nobody's heard of like napster and yahoo and cashed out their options when they were actually worth something, lol. So I was barely making my bills month to month but still ending up at dinner parties with celebrities from time to time and it makes for a brutally honest view of the world: the people who made their own money did it through sheer luck of timing and didn't have any talents I didn't. The ones who inherit their wealth are almost always morons and their inflated opinion of their intelligence is the biggest thing dragging their networth down. And most importantly: service industry peeps are some of the coolest people I've ever met. Seriously, be nice to them they rule.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

cat botherer posted:

and George Schultz

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

err posted:

gently caress those royal horses

Ok Catherine the Great.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Glumwheels posted:

Why is it going up if wheat prices dropped

Italy was one of those countries that got wrecked by COVID almost on the level of the US. Could be a downstream impact of the impact on the older workforce plus energy prices connected to the Ukraine war. For whatever reason it's no longer popular to bring those up when rising prices get mentioned, but the EU in particular is still looking at major cost increases due to the war.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Xaris posted:

everyone has experienced legitimate decline and loss of a future, but that's Not The Way It Should Be!

enter technocracy as a means to envision a better future is Coming Soon(TM). there's always some new technology that's going to improve the status quo once and for all, but it never comes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzm6pvHPSGo

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Glumwheels posted:

Why is it going up if wheat prices dropped

Severe summer droughts in Canada and other areas have caused a shortage of Durum wheat. If you're a prepper/survivalist it hasn't been available for the last couple of years so you'll have to survive by beans alone.

I have no idea why you can't make pasta from other wheat cultivars but it seems only "macaroni wheat" is good enough for macaroni. Lots of Khorasan wheat available but that stuff gives me gas so it shouldn't be paired with the beans.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Hexigrammus posted:

I have no idea why you can't make pasta from other wheat cultivars but it seems only "macaroni wheat" is good enough for macaroni

It has more gluten/protein than normal wheat which makes it the best choice for solid baked goods like pasta

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Orvin posted:

I am always amazed at how much unquestioning faith the general mass of idiots have in Musk.

I had a coworker that had put down a preorder on a Cybertruck the instant they were announced. He saw 500 miles of range for $60k in a truck form and didn’t think of anything else. Somehow we got talking about it back in 2021 before new car prices really took off. I already knew it was bullshit, as the Model S with the same super long range batteries was just delayed indefinitely (at least at the time). He wouldn’t hear the fact that just basic corporate greed would ensure that an EV with 500 miles of range would first be released on their $150k+ platform, and not on a $60k unproven platform. He swore up and down that the Cybertruck was totally going to hit its production date that year, and Musk was totally going to honor the prices mentioned on the reservation lists.

I am so glad I rarely had to interact with that idiot.

one of my old coworkers started at tesla like 8 months ago and she is insisting the cybertruck will be entering production very soon!!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

If you want to prepare for the future learn to love millet aka desert wheat

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Hexigrammus posted:

Severe summer droughts in Canada and other areas have caused a shortage of Durum wheat. If you're a prepper/survivalist it hasn't been available for the last couple of years so you'll have to survive by beans alone.

I have no idea why you can't make pasta from other wheat cultivars but it seems only "macaroni wheat" is good enough for macaroni. Lots of Khorasan wheat available but that stuff gives me gas so it shouldn't be paired with the beans.

Europe won’t buy GM grain so a lot of US supply doesn’t work for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

zetamind2000 posted:

If you want to prepare for the future learn to love millet aka desert wheat

i loving love millet

ill grab an entire stick of millet with my foot and strip it bare with my wonderful beak