Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
And a separate post because I want everyone to savor Girkin eating a big bowl of sads and musing about the disintegration of the russian federation because of the war at the top of the page :cool:

https://twitter.com/VolodyaTretyak/status/1655186960577703941?s=20

Igor Pickles posted:

Regular readers and listeners should remember the assessment of the situation that I laid out (and expressed) last winter. One of the theses was: "If the necessary national measures for the successful conduct of the war are not taken before May, we will not be able to win this war.

I state: NO MEASURES HAVE BEEN TAKEN. Neither organizational nor personnel. The goals of the war have not been determined, and the inhabitants of the Planet of the Pink Ponies(PRP) have not understood that "this war will be fought until one side is victorious. Accordingly, since there is no goal, there is no strategy. No strategy - no conscious work on its implementation. But the enemy has a strategy from the beginning and is being implemented with all its might. More and more successfully since the Kremlin is "playing giveaway" with an inexplicable enthusiasm and childlike confidence in the ultimate "contract" that is comfortable for the elderly Ponies, Elephants, and Unicorns.

Now we have to think about how to preserve the state, the country and the people in a situation of impending military defeat.

And, yes - even for a "worthy non-fatal defeat" (in which our enemies will be forced to abandon their plans for the complete fragmentation of Russia and the elimination of its sovereignty) we will have to fight long and hard. Harder and longer than it would have been if we had fought to win decisively from the outset. And the longer the occupants of the PRP will linger in the "sweet languor" of confidence in their peaceful and happy old age (which has long come for most of the VIPs) - the less chance that in the end the Russian ship will manage to get out of the military storm and systemic crisis, without sinking (after a long and bloody Troubles) into History.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

HonorableTB posted:

Also, yall remember those protests in Turkey about the Quran burnings etc etc?

yeah its more russian active measures, biiiiig shock. not a bad move though to provoke the pissiest of pissbabies Erdogan who would be the most likely to deny additional NATO membership, maybe tied with Orban

https://twitter.com/kevinshakir/status/1655257088258441216?s=20

Oh come on, the game wasn't THAT bad...

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

mllaneza posted:

What we've heard is that Ukraine has 9 brigades organized along NATO lines. Some of them have NATO AFVs. Those are the core of the UAF's mobile reserve and are going to suffer terrible losses in an offensive, especially if they advance beyond the GBAD umbrella.

I think this overstates the case. I appreciate the counterpoint to the "now that they have western equipment Ukraine is unstoppable" attitudes common elsewhere, and that being on the offensive is significantly more difficult than being on the defensive, but we have seen Russian forces be brittle and slow to respond to changing circumstances at times. Losses in an offensive are inevitable, but ruinous losses are not, without invoking readily available replacement equipment. Another Kharkiv->Izyum isn't guaranteed, but it's not impossible either.
That said I really don't mean to underestimate Russia in saying this; by many accounts we've seen elements of theirs fight capably and well also.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Ronwayne posted:

Ukraine is also on a deadline until when and if two-pump Trump gets reelected, or some other GOP ghoul, not only cuts off supplies but also actively starts aiding russia to own the libs.
I am actually slightly more optimistic about whatever Republican is elected next in terms of Ukraine. Not about literally any other subject mind

Also the thing I keep thinking about in terms of whether Ukraine's counteroffensive will be good is that signs point to Russia, like, retreating in half the places they are currently holding. Surely this is not indicative of the most intense possible resistance to any counteroffensive

zone
Dec 6, 2016

all 35 Shaheds launched at Ukraine last night were shot down.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
That graphic can also be reused to summarize insect zappers versus a night's supply of moths

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Patron does not judge, they just rest.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

twitter dweebs and /r/Sino posters desperately zooming in/enhance and trying to geolocate that photo and patch and make that picture a milkshake puppy:

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Dr. Quarex posted:

I am actually slightly more optimistic about whatever Republican is elected next in terms of Ukraine. Not about literally any other subject mind

Also the thing I keep thinking about in terms of whether Ukraine's counteroffensive will be good is that signs point to Russia, like, retreating in half the places they are currently holding. Surely this is not indicative of the most intense possible resistance to any counteroffensive

The american right is incredibly schizophrenic w/r/t this war and fox news (I'm living with old going-deaf people who raise the volume to compensate, making it inescapable), seems to be moving towards "Whatever happens in the war, *Biden BAD!* also Hunter laptop", which I suppose, is at least not full russian support out of spite.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

This is not reported anywhere and the "source" is another propaganda outlet, so I wouldn't celebrate it just yet

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I thought they cancelled the victory parade due to dangerously high levels of victory already present in Russia?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

mllaneza posted:

Nine brigades. That's basically two corps or one army. In WW2 the same ground was fought over by army groups. Ukraine can smash the gently caress out of front-line positions with a maximal effort by PGMs and drone operators, but exploitation behind the lines is going to be costly even in the good scenarios. I think they can reach the Black Sea with an offensive in Zaporizhya, but it'll be costly and extend the lines they have to defend when it comes time to hold their gains.

Russian forces are likewise much smaller than those in WW2, so how much does that matter?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

I thought they cancelled the victory parade due to dangerously high levels of victory already present in Russia?

Moscow one is still on schedule, the ones in border regions have been cancelled

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

Moscow one is still on schedule, the ones in border regions have been cancelled

Such is life :ussr:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oooh I'm too late for the Wagner chat! Well maybe next time!

So if they think Ukraine doesn't have enough combat forces to do the job, then we should get moving on fixing that, no? To evict Saddam from Kuwait, this was just the VII coprs part of the coalition forces
  • 1,487 tanks
  • 1,384 infantry fighting vehicles
  • 568 artillery pieces,
  • 132 MLRS,
  • 8 missile launchers,
  • 242 attack helicopters
Then this was just the USAF, so excluding Navy, Marines, RAF and other coalition:

And that was Iraq and not russia. So the necessary gear is on the way, right? Hopefully we aren't going to wait another year to make the decision to start ramping up support.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

mobby_6kl posted:

Oooh I'm too late for the Wagner chat! Well maybe next time!

So if they think Ukraine doesn't have enough combat forces to do the job, then we should get moving on fixing that, no? To evict Saddam from Kuwait, this was just the VII coprs part of the coalition forces
  • 1,487 tanks
  • 1,384 infantry fighting vehicles
  • 568 artillery pieces,
  • 132 MLRS,
  • 8 missile launchers,
  • 242 attack helicopters
Then this was just the USAF, so excluding Navy, Marines, RAF and other coalition:

And that was Iraq and not russia. So the necessary gear is on the way, right? Hopefully we aren't going to wait another year to make the decision to start ramping up support.
From Oryx, pledged or delivered to Ukraine:

760+ tanks
685+ IFV
830+ artillery pieces
100+ MLRS

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Ronwayne posted:

The american right is incredibly schizophrenic w/r/t this war and fox news (I'm living with old going-deaf people who raise the volume to compensate, making it inescapable), seems to be moving towards "Whatever happens in the war, *Biden BAD!* also Hunter laptop", which I suppose, is at least not full russian support out of spite.
Tucker losing his job, and McCarthy seeming to have pulled a 180 on Ukraine are both encouraging. I don't mean that's why Tucker lost his job, but the biggest mouthpiece against Ukraine support is no longer around.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1655410054609227778

What in the ever living gently caress did I just watch.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah I really doubt any Trump or ôter US republican elected is going to threaten Ukraine support. Overwhelmingly these people have been spanking it to blowing up russians since their tour at a desk in Germany, 1979, and they will not stop now. At least that’s he vibe I get from them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah I really doubt any Trump or ôter US republican elected is going to threaten Ukraine support. Overwhelmingly these people have been spanking it to blowing up russians since their tour at a desk in Germany, 1979, and they will not stop now. At least that’s he vibe I get from them.

Also if Russia collapses a whole lotta blackmail material might disappear.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

My Spirit Otter posted:

that went without saying. depressed nihilist has been the go-to russian peasant stereotype for the last 150 years

let's not be classist

Solovyov is very sad about his Italian villa

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Tai posted:

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1655410054609227778

What in the ever living gently caress did I just watch.

I love how he's still crying over the loss of his Italian holiday home.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I love how he's still crying over the loss of his Italian holiday home.

Clearly the voice of the common man. We're all thinking it but HE is actually saying it.

Once I launch my nooks you'll all be sorry.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/NikaMelkozerova/status/1655139288672083968
https://twitter.com/PjotrSauer/status/1655138638005522433
Predictably, it turns out Pigozhin isn't leaving Bakhmut after all. His tantrums for more shells and weapons seem to have worked. What concerns me is that now that general Copegeddon Surovikin is working for him too, makes me think he's forming a power bloc in the military of his own.

oh cmon now

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1655526488387485698
100,000 killed and wounded just to try and take one small city. Go home idiots.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

zone posted:

100,000 killed and wounded just to try and take one small city. Go home idiots.

To put it a different way, that’s more people than lived in the city before the war. Russia’s lost over one Bakhmut’s worth of casualties over the city.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/AndrewPerpetua/status/1655543193616764929
gently caress Russia.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

This is prime av material

Cantorsdust posted:

To put it a different way, that’s more people than lived in the city before the war. Russia’s lost over one Bakhmut’s worth of casualties over the city.

drat this is a great way to get the sense of scale across

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Yeah, bombing the poo poo out of hospitals should be the exclusive territory of the USA

They better not start bombing weddings :argh:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Here's something I'm keeping my eye on and let's see if it bears anything out, could be grain of salt here. The source is a telegram channel so don't take it too seriously unless there's another source more reputable:

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1655449330021433347?s=20

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 8, 2023

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

Private Cumshoe posted:

Yeah, bombing the poo poo out of hospitals should be the exclusive territory of the USA

Both sides! Both sides! Both sides! Both sides! Both sides! Both sides! Both sides! Both sides! Both sides! Both sides! Both sides! Both sides!
Both sides! Both sides! Both sides! Both sides! Both sides! Both sides! Both sides! Both sides! Both sides! Both sides! Both sides! Both sides!

Aack!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

Here's something I'm keeping my eye on and let's see if it bears anything out, could be grain of salt here:

Let's hope it trends towards false negatives

zone
Dec 6, 2016

HonorableTB posted:

Here's something I'm keeping my eye on and let's see if it bears anything out, could be grain of salt here:

Would be on brand for the rest of what we've seen if true, regardless. Like holy gently caress, this is pretty bad.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Tiny Timbs posted:

Let's hope it trends towards false negatives

Exactly. False positives would be baaaad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIO5lfJ9dhs

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1655563723489067008
Disgusting propaganda.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005
This whole thing just gets stupider and stupider.

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

Private Cumshoe posted:

I can't believe I'm having to explain this concept to an adult but.... TWO WRONG's DO NOT MAKE A RIGHT.

loving children get this.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

HonorableTB posted:

And a separate post because I want everyone to savor Girkin eating a big bowl of sads and musing about the disintegration of the russian federation because of the war at the top of the page :cool:

https://twitter.com/VolodyaTretyak/status/1655186960577703941?s=20

sad gherkin photo should be photoshopped into him looking at things, gherkins who stare at goatse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

So fester found some kid and slapped old soviet uniform on him and is ebegging for ammo now. what a dickhead.