Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Froot Loops and beer in the dark, just a normal family dinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

how can they not even cook a chicken pot pie? the gently caress guys, somebody help this kid

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Do you think Barry called his son a shitbird before asking him if he wanted pie?

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Did anybody see a weird silhouette during the transition between Barry standing in the field at dusk and the Hollywood business woman walking towards the camera? When Barry is standing, it's framed from about his chest up, he's on the left side, then it cuts to black and it looks like there's that same Barry-shape but now in center frame as it fades into the studio lot alley. I rewound 5 times, it's easier to see with the lights off but it's there.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
It’s weird how they had some fade outs

Ding

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
I mean, I was looking forward to an entire season of Barry, the Raven and NoHo Hank prison shenanigans where they try to murder/help each other.

But sure! Let’s do this poo poo.

Edit: I didn’t mean poo poo as in quality, the episode was great. Just that this was unexpected, like most of the show. But based on Bill hader’s comments about true crime I was definitely expecting a different story here.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
good episode. very reminiscent of BCS's last episodes, which i'm ambivalent about, but still good and funny. barry becoming religious was unexpected. his entire dad routine. he's such a weird hollow person.

i thought the episode was still comedic it was just understated comedy. the whole thing is absurd. "there's happy cry, and there's sad cry, and well, then there's mom cry which can be very loud and scary".

and yeah hot mess is the right phrase for sally in this episode.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

roomtone posted:

i thought the episode was still comedic it was just understated comedy. the whole thing is absurd. "there's happy cry, and there's sad cry, and well, then there's mom cry which can be very loud and scary".

"Mommy cries a lot."
"Ooohhhh yes, yes she does, yep."

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Hawkperson posted:

2) of course Barry names his new self after Superman. It’s so on the nose and yet so perfectly Barry I don’t mind

Could also be a reference to his PTSD Ventriloquist character on SNL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xZ52mG1yIo&t=3m

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

brap posted:

Is sally just with barry because she doesn’t know how else to handle the fact that she killed that biker?

Sally doesn't feel safe anymore with Barry there, she has someone who 1) knows she killed a dude and still 'loves' her, 2) has killed hella dudes himself and so can protect Sally from anyone who would show up to do her harm. probably sounded a lot better 8 years prior and before Barry presumably convinced her into having a kid

her taking things into her own hands and choking the greasy jack-off dude makes me wonder if she's going to misdirect some violence at someone else in this season. she seemed super uncomfortable in that scene where John was hugging her in bed after his nightmares, things are obviously tense with Barry, it seems like some of the tension with the psychopath is going to boil over at home sooner or later

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/barry-time-jump-sally-sarah-goldberg-1235604728/

good interview with Sarah Goldberg about the new episode, full of spoilers

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 12:05 on May 8, 2023

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Can't play videogames, too violent. No tv, it'll warp your mind. Bland food because we can't be seen at the grocery store.

Hey, is that a baseball glove?

Well, time to ruin that, too.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i read her choking out bevel as her trying to relive/replicate her altercation with the biker because, like everyone in this show, she is incapable of growing and moving on. the whole theme of this episode was people trying to claim they have, only to break down and return to their issues. barry talks a big game to john at the start about how to learn and grow and be a better person, but one of our last images of him is standing in a field clutching a pistol with veins bulging out of his head all night. sally has made nearly no genuine effort to move on, papering over it with substance abuse instead and attempting to relieve it just to feel something again. gene vanished for years, but his vice of recognition and the limelight has dragged him back to warner brothers, and by extension barrys crosshairs. its all very plainly told.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Aside from that little blurb beneath the news article about Cousineau, did we get anything more about whether he'd killed his son? I missed the first couple of minutes of the episode. Has Gene also been on the lam for the past eight years because he accidentally murdered his own son? Seems like a big thing to just gloss over.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Paper Lion posted:

i read her choking out bevel as her trying to relive/replicate her altercation with the biker because, like everyone in this show, she is incapable of growing and moving on. the whole theme of this episode was people trying to claim they have, only to break down and return to their issues. barry talks a big game to john at the start about how to learn and grow and be a better person, but one of our last images of him is standing in a field clutching a pistol with veins bulging out of his head all night. sally has made nearly no genuine effort to move on, papering over it with substance abuse instead and attempting to relieve it just to feel something again. gene vanished for years, but his vice of recognition and the limelight has dragged him back to warner brothers, and by extension barrys crosshairs. its all very plainly told.

:agreed:

Sarah goes into it briefly in the Variety interview linked, but we're basically at the point where I don't think any of the big characters are getting a "happy" ending, and this episode this late in the game even after time jump is the clearest beacon of that yet

At best, Sally lost her passion and Barry emotionally broke down the remains of the one woman he ever loved, Gene shot his kid and has been nervous hourly for almost a full decade, Hank got the one man he ever loved killed, Janice's dad never got real justice for her death, and Fuches got treated in jail the way he always treated Barry on the outside

These last 90 minutes of episodes are gonna be sad as hell. It's been an honor, folks :cheers:

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Larry Chowder: The Magical Boy
Starring @Tyler

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

Aside from that little blurb beneath the news article about Cousineau, did we get anything more about whether he'd killed his son? I missed the first couple of minutes of the episode. Has Gene also been on the lam for the past eight years because he accidentally murdered his own son? Seems like a big thing to just gloss over.

I would just assume his son lived and didn't press charges or his son died and the DA refused to charge to avoid the most psychotic trial in history

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They may address Gene's son later, but for now, I'm going to assume he lived because the newspaper says Gene shot him, and there is no way to know that unless the son told them.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

They may address Gene's son later, but for now, I'm going to assume he lived because the newspaper says Gene shot him, and there is no way to know that unless the son told them.

What? If Gene shot and killed his son, it'd be huge news, because I truly don't think Gene would cover it up. It would definitely be known.

The fact that the article didn't say "killed" is why I don't think the son died from the gunshot.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Real Dexter vibes this episode

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I felt so uncomfortable that entire episode - but in a good way? It was so well done and loving GROSS. Jesus christ.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Despite all the stuff Barry's done in this show the way he acts in this episode disturbs me more than anything else so far

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

1stGear posted:

I dunno, did we? Because the only things that Kim does that demonstrates she's not content are go to work for the legal aid group and finally face down the consequences of what happened to Howard. She isn't trying to cheat on Mr. Yup, she isn't looking for a new job, she isn't pulling Slippin' Kimmy's on guys at hotel bars. Her black-and-white scenes are a deliberate contrast to Jimmy's, where he is clearly miserable and can't stay away from being Saul Goodman. She is the ultimate refutation of the ABQverse, the one person who saw what breaking bad would cost and said "gently caress that."

Its not the most exciting life, but it sure as hell beats seeing a man's brains get blown out in front of you.

:lol: She hated her loving life.

Joyless sex, miserable job, boring conversations. The only high she got was when Saul made contact and it made her reach out to do some free legal work (if I remember right).

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Paper Lion posted:

i read her choking out bevel as her trying to relive/replicate her altercation with the biker because, like everyone in this show, she is incapable of growing and moving on. the whole theme of this episode was people trying to claim they have, only to break down and return to their issues.

Huh, I didn't think about that angle. My interpretation was repressed anger and the like towards Barry that she put out on another man who put up even the facade of a remorseless killer. Eight years in a basically loveless marriage, with almost no stimulation, dealing with a child she most likely didn't want to have in the first place...That Bevel was creeping on her and telling other coworkers that he jerked off to her likely made it all the more compelling to hurt him.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Probably shouldn’t be posting unmarked BCS spoilers all over this thread. I know a lot of people don’t catch up until it hits Netflix.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Yeah that episode was hard to watch at times, though I did enjoy seeing powered-up Super Cousineau in his final form.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Laughed at the Lincoln scene since it reminded me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAzRb_lErFw&t=67s

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What? If Gene shot and killed his son, it'd be huge news, because I truly don't think Gene would cover it up. It would definitely be known.

The fact that the article didn't say "killed" is why I don't think the son died from the gunshot.

How do they know Gene shot him though? He didn't drop the gun, did he?

Barry killed the son and absconded with Gene would be what I'd think they'd assume about that crime scene.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4YKUJZI5Bg

I feel like not playing this over the credits or naming Barry 'Floyd' instead of 'Clark' were missed opportunities.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

FireWorksWell posted:

Despite all the stuff Barry's done in this show the way he acts in this episode disturbs me more than anything else so far

It's pretty much mask off Barry's always been a twisted psychopath/sociopath. The show is all about tricking you into liking him and rationalizing what he's doing but now it's like oh poo poo this dude is actually loving insane and is actively doing weird poo poo you read about in a murderer biopic about a weird rear end family later on.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Doltos posted:

It's pretty much mask off Barry's always been a twisted psychopath/sociopath. The show is all about tricking you into liking him and rationalizing what he's doing but now it's like oh poo poo this dude is actually loving insane and is actively doing weird poo poo you read about in a murderer biopic about a weird rear end family later on.

You were never supposed to like Barry.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Well, I was still thinking it could be a fantasy halfway into this episode, given how everything felt kinda off, but the perspective shift to Cousineau at WB convinced me that it's actually the future. I guess things like the house standing in the middle of a field with nothing nearby is just meant to be part of the overall weird vibe that they're conveying.

Slamhound posted:

As for the kid, I've got a real nasty feeling that he's adopted and that maybe he's not first kid they've used.

I'm not great at seeing resemblances in family members, but one thing that stuck out to me was that the kid's nose looks distinctly different from Hader's or Goldman's. I don't know if they'll explicitly call out the kid being an adoptee, but I don't think it's supposed to be a big secret either.

When Barry Clark is telling John about the sheep incident with Albert getting shot, wasn't the medic someone else? Is he rewriting himself to be the medic?

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Nameless Pete posted:

Starring @Tyler

That was definitely Bill Hader's voice narrating those posters.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
I would rather be in prison with Fuches than in Barry's hell house.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I have to say adoption theory takes the cake for “bad at watching tv” goonery

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nameless Pete posted:

Starring @Tyler

After watching the Cousineau return to MGM

Me: I want to learn more about Larry Chowder Magical Boy
Gf: that’s what you took away from that scene?

I’m also mad that my love of I Think You Should Leave intersected with the episode as now all I can think of is “but what is his job?” “Boxes!”

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

You were never supposed to like Barry.

You're supposed to like him just enough to be horrified at him.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

After watching the Cousineau return to MGM

Me: I want to learn more about Larry Chowder Magical Boy
Gf: that’s what you took away from that scene?

I’m also mad that my love of I Think You Should Leave intersected with the episode as now all I can think of is “But what is his job?” “Boxes!”

I saw a Reddit post that stated one of the lead writers used to work in a video store and some mother came in trashed on vodka and asked for that title when she clearly meant Harry Potter.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Barry is such a bizarre and off-putting character that he does not really feel like part of the lineage of anti-hero TV protagonists. At least since season 3 he's had complete anti-charisma.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It’s incredibly funny that Just Desserts lasted eight seasons and was quoted in the President’s state of the union address.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

404notfound posted:

When Barry Clark is telling John about the sheep incident with Albert getting shot, wasn't the medic someone else? Is he rewriting himself to be the medic?

Yeah, I believe so, he's rewriting his history to make himself the hero to his kid, turning himself into a medic whose role was to save lives as opposed to taking them.