Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

honestly I think Kerekere has handled this pretty well and at this point the people leaking to the media have done more damage to the party than she has

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I heard her explanation of the texts where she said she was talking about herself and it makes complete sense to me. Like how I'll message my brother about how I'm all excited over getting some lovely raspberry pi config to work and then immediately follow that up with the Homer Simpson "NEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRD!" gif.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

there's no drama like greens drama

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Progressive JPEG posted:

there's no drama like greens drama

It's not even good drama, crybaby is a nothing insult

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Even if the texts were about Chloe (I think they were) it was a petty problem that probably needed to be followed up in a low key way to make sure she wasn't bullying people, but that wasn't possible because the green party has no loving decorum or discipline and has members leaking poo poo to the media and creating a circus over the issue.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 5, 2023

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

bike tory posted:

Even if the texts were about Chloe (I think they were) it was a pretty problem that probably needed to be followed up in a low key way to make sure she wasn't bullying people, but that wasn't possible because the green party has no loving decorum or discipline and has members leaking poo poo to the media and creating a circus over the issue.

Omg what a crybaby

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
The language used made it seem like Dr Kerekere made the mistake of talking to coworkers like they were friends.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I've seen and heard about enough bullying bullshit in the public sector that I'm reserving judgment, but that was p tight as a response compared to nationals endless series of mp fuckups

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Supreme Court ruled that Auckland CC can restrict off-licence hours to 9pm.

https://www.1news.co.nz/2023/05/05/supermarkets-lose-battle-over-auckland-alcohol-sales-hours/

Honestly it feels like a "look we did something" kind of move. I don't think it will dent harmful drinking behaviour but will definitely impact shift workers such as myself, or anyone else who keeps odd hours.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

exmachina posted:

Supreme Court ruled that Auckland CC can restrict off-licence hours to 9pm.

https://www.1news.co.nz/2023/05/05/supermarkets-lose-battle-over-auckland-alcohol-sales-hours/

Honestly it feels like a "look we did something" kind of move. I don't think it will dent harmful drinking behaviour but will definitely impact shift workers such as myself, or anyone else who keeps odd hours.

Sucks for normal people but one of the main drivers of problem drinking is being able to extend a drinking session, so having your local bottle shop close at 9pm means fewer people will be able to restock when they finish their first round.

Also why sale of alcohol through uber eats and poo poo needs to be banned.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Did we forget about the 6 O'clock Swill?

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Firstscion posted:

Did we forget about the 6 O'clock Swill?

Oh come on. This isnt even slightly similar.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Is it like, commonly known around chch who those sick-gently caress serial rapists that have name suppression are?

A good starting point is to look at the licencing conditions applied when the owners tried to rename their bar, and also what happened to the nearby restaurant the family owns.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It almost sounds reasonable until I imagine having to explain this to foreigners in Auckland: Sorry, we're a stuck-up bunch of religious prudes who can't handle their wine, nobody's allowed to have fun at night since night culture is for degenerates.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Yes, not being able to buy a crate after 9pm at some point in the future is exactly the reason Auckland's night life has been dying for years, you are very clever.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Serephina posted:

It almost sounds reasonable until I imagine having to explain this to foreigners in Auckland: Sorry, we're a stuck-up bunch of religious prudes who can't handle their wine, nobody's allowed to have fun at night since night culture is for degenerates.

lmao at the idea that "night culture" is buying alcohol from the supermarket after 9pm

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Serephina posted:

I mean, are you suggesting as a culture we aren't degenerates who can't drink responsibly? Because I have no issue being honest with foreigners.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

bike tory posted:

lmao at the idea that "night culture" is buying alcohol from the supermarket after 9pm

Yeah, like I have problems with this dumb poo poo too, but lol.

Auckland's nightlife (by which I mostly mean night*club*, restaurants and bars are mostly OK) suffers from problems caused by on-licence hours, property value (driving up venue rents as well as sucking up disposable income), poor transport options, poor wages, being a boring-rear end sale at Briscoes never go out once you have kids culture and big lack of decent class A gear.

lovely off-licence hours is inconvenient and annoying, but lol. Explaining to foreigners? Like who? The same kind of whinging poms who won't shut up about proper pints? American's who often come from places where you can't buy booze on Sundays? Layabout Mediterranean's who stay up late at night cos they kick off and take a nap for half the afternoon?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

cptn_dr posted:

Yes, not being able to buy a crate after 9pm at some point in the future is exactly the reason Auckland's night life has been dying for years, you are very clever.

I never said that. It's not a long sentence, maybe you should re-read it.

Other places in the world are somehow able to keep their poo poo together while enjoying an evening both in the city and at at their homes when hosting. Narrowing the hours of the sale of alcohol is the most low-effort, milquetoast, ineffectual way of addressing problem drinking while simultaneously offering the most collateral annoyances.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i think the issue is you think they're trying to address problem drinking as they state rather than what it actually addresses, which is pearl-clutching reddit posts about the city feeling unsafe at night because of homeless people drinking with their friends on the street.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
After Labour denied Chloe's bill it's pretty apparent nobody has any real interest in serious alcohol harm reduction. While the motivation for this specifically is dubious, it still has some potential for good as bike tory suggested. I'm curious what other councils will do with the precedent.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

There are community organisations trying to make a difference, but it's very hard when your opposition is a horrible mix of the international alcohol lobby, the local alcohol lobby, and New Zealanders who are all like "she'll be right, my drinking is fine and nothing needs to change for anyone."

My stance is kind of informed by two different perspectives -- I'm pretty into the Wellington cocktail and craft beer scene, but I'm also involved with a group doing Kaupapa Māori research into alcohol abuse among whānau. So it's simultaneously "it is deeply difficult for bars and breweries to exist thanks to lovely zoning laws, on-license hours, costs of living, etc, etc" combined with "it's too easy to get huge quantities of alcohol at home, any attempts to regulate the industry further are fought against tooth and nail by Big Business, the hyper-saturation of liquor stores in areas of social deprivation, and generally lovely drinking culture is causing generational trauma that's destroying the lives of kids and adults".

So I guess I just think that, sure, liquor stores having to close and supermarkets not being able to sell beer after 9 is at best an inconvenience. But gently caress, it's something. And if you can't get pissed at your local, get kicked out when it closes at 10.00 because the neighbours keep calling noise control at 10.01 on the dot, stagger to your nearest liquorland and then keep drinking at home til you pass out as easily anymore, then my comfortable middle-class rear end is willing to put up with having to a bit of inconvenience and mockery from a foreigner.

That said, from what I recall, this is just a single part of the Auckland Council's 2015 attempts at some kind of alcohol reform, it's just back in the news because after fighting it tooth and nail for 8 years, the supermarkets have been told to gently caress off by the Supreme Court. It's not like the Mayor saw a Reddit post last week and got on the blower to Big Alcohol to shut it all down.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

cptn_dr posted:

There are community organisations trying to make a difference, but it's very hard when your opposition is a horrible mix of the international alcohol lobby, the local alcohol lobby, and New Zealanders who are all like "she'll be right, my drinking is fine and nothing needs to change for anyone."

My stance is kind of informed by two different perspectives -- I'm pretty into the Wellington cocktail and craft beer scene, but I'm also involved with a group doing Kaupapa Māori research into alcohol abuse among whānau. So it's simultaneously "it is deeply difficult for bars and breweries to exist thanks to lovely zoning laws, on-license hours, costs of living, etc, etc" combined with "it's too easy to get huge quantities of alcohol at home, any attempts to regulate the industry further are fought against tooth and nail by Big Business, the hyper-saturation of liquor stores in areas of social deprivation, and generally lovely drinking culture is causing generational trauma that's destroying the lives of kids and adults".

So I guess I just think that, sure, liquor stores having to close and supermarkets not being able to sell beer after 9 is at best an inconvenience. But gently caress, it's something. And if you can't get pissed at your local, get kicked out when it closes at 10.00 because the neighbours keep calling noise control at 10.01 on the dot, stagger to your nearest liquorland and then keep drinking at home til you pass out as easily anymore, then my comfortable middle-class rear end is willing to put up with having to a bit of inconvenience and mockery from a foreigner.

That said, from what I recall, this is just a single part of the Auckland Council's 2015 attempts at some kind of alcohol reform, it's just back in the news because after fighting it tooth and nail for 8 years, the supermarkets have been told to gently caress off by the Supreme Court. It's not like the Mayor saw a Reddit post last week and got on the blower to Big Alcohol to shut it all down.

FWIW in my experience while problem drinking does occur in bars there are a lot of checks and balances in place - opening hours, sales to intoxicated, staff wandering around keepijng an eye on people as required by licencing laws etc

the real problematic drinking is what occurs at home and removing the option to get half cut and then take a bottle home will help reduce that to some extent

stamping it out entirely is probably borderline impossible but reducing the availability is a good method of harm reduction, and for god's sake uber drink deliveries need to die

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah it's mildly annoying but it will absolutely impact bad drinking.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Content to Hover posted:

can't drink responsibly?

Road toll does suggest so.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

WarpedNaba posted:

Road toll does suggest so.

We've had the stats to back it up for years.

Ministry Of Health posted:

Nearly one in five adults has a hazardous drinking pattern

18.8% of adults had a hazardous drinking pattern [1] in 2021/22.
Asian adults (6.0%) had a lower rate of hazardous drinking than other ethnic groups: Māori (33.2%), Pacific (21.7%) and European/Other (20.1%).
The rate of hazardous drinking has remained relatively stable since 2015/16 (when the current time series began).

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

The leader of the opposition gets paid approximately $296,000 a year. In his final year as AirNZ CEO, Luxon got paid $4.4 million. He owns three residential properties and at least four investment properties. He probably has, in real terms, more money right now than I will cumulatively have over my entire life.

And he still didn't think to pay someone to make his loving pants fit.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
i think he looks good

marc daalder unsurprisingly has the correct take on the greens/kerekere situation
https://www.newsroom.co.nz/kerekere-gone-from-greens-but-identity-crisis-remains

quote:

Here, that "natural justice" process dreamed up by the Greens in response to the Francis Review prolonged the issue for far longer than necessary. One long-time Green Party figure recently quit over the party's inability to deal with these problems cleanly and quietly.

"The dogged persistence with which the Greens determinedly fight for their right to violently f**k themselves in front of the electorate and make the country watch - it's just really embarrassing and it's just so distracting," he said.

The Kerekere saga grabbed headlines intermittently for more than a month, even with Kerekere herself remaining silent until Friday night. The Sharma saga, by comparison, was forgotten within a month and only lasted that long because Sharma himself continued to prosecute his case. Labour's process for Sharma is an example of how to minimise the damage, the former member said.

"That's the model that a political party has to use and what the Greens have done is what I'd expect from an NGO. You've got a bunch of members who want to feel like they're included in the political system but ultimately can't bring themselves to accept that requires, fundamentally, compromise," he said.

"That extends to both the macro-political - coalition negotiations, cooperation agreements and the concessions made in those - but also closer to home, in party structure and party process, you don't get to have the open and deliberative processes that you may expect in a less public forum when you're also trying to maintain the confidence of the electorate and demonstrate an ongoing ability to form part of the governing coalition."

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
it's the whole lenin winning vs being right thing. greens think being a fringe party means they're all individuals because in everyday life, true, being a soft lefty is pretty unusual and will make you feel that way.

i'd appreciate some ruthlessness and discipline in that party

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

lmao imagine people wanting to be included in the political system. not in my democracy, bub.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
yes it's not like there's no validity to being open like that but there's a balance to be struck if you are concerned with power and enacting a programme. there's nothing inherently more democratic about looking like a mess to the outside world of the voters you're trying to win.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

it's the whole lenin winning vs being right thing. greens think being a fringe party means they're all individuals because in everyday life, true, being a soft lefty is pretty unusual and will make you feel that way.

the best part of being a fringe party is that you still get the publicity without needing to deal with pesky responsibility. win/win

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

i agree that a lot of the greens' problems would be solved if they read more lenin

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
The green party members include a lot of idealistic people who aren't particularly pragmatic. If the party openly ignores them, they will become apathetic as it will send the message that positive change isn't possible. Like all minor parties it is a balancing act, an entirely savvy green party would struggle to get elected.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

exmarx posted:

i think he looks good

marc daalder unsurprisingly has the correct take on the greens/kerekere situation
https://www.newsroom.co.nz/kerekere-gone-from-greens-but-identity-crisis-remains

Weird how someone gang beating another kid with a chair leg didn't get the same kind of scrutiny as texting "crybaby"

Someone should also tell national a fundamental part of the political system is accepting compromise lmao

El Pollo Blanco fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 7, 2023

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

RNZ posted:

Prime Minister Chris Hipkins will be travelling back to New Zealand feeling grateful for sausage rolls.

Somehow this sentence sums up our global relevance perfectly.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

It's never going to stop raining.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

It's never going to stop Wayneing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ratios and Tendency posted:

It's never going to stop raining.

I'm looking forward to 2030 when the government will finally, after much delay and cost overrun, release a flood tracking app. It won't work very well.