Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Technowolf posted:

T'Pol should've been the one to adopt Michael in Disco.

On the one hand, yes, but on the other hand, I'm glad she didn't get sucked into that particular morass.

MikeJF posted:

She should show up in SNW and reminisce about the many decades of friendship she enjoyed with Trip.

I mean, according to the Pocket ENT books...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

MikeJF posted:

"You know, Spock, I once had a half-human-half-vulcan daughter too! Funny story, let me tell you about it..."

I really like that two parter and the capstone of trip sobbing that "one day, if a vulcan and a human had a baby, it would probably be okay" and her barely holding it together as she holds his hand... chef's kiss. that's the finale of Enterprise for me.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Why did you add 'for me'? That is the finale of Enterprise.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah that two parter was written as the series finale by Manny Coto. Then Berman and Braga just tacked on some bullshit we can all ignore.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I admire the balls of them to just needlessly kill off a major character

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I still maintain that stuff like the Temporal Cold War and Trip dying were stuff Barclay added to the holodeck program to make it more interesting for Riker.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Eighties ZomCom posted:

I still maintain that stuff like the Temporal Cold War and Trip dying were stuff Barclay added to the holodeck program to make it more interesting for Riker.

That would explain T'Pols....lack of symmetry

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

We get a flashback from another show, it turns out T'pol was wearing a practical uniform the entire time, it was just Riker tweaking the program.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The human face is said to be more beautiful the more symmetrical it is. Therefore Trek needs to introduce a new Vulcan Borg babe who is completely symmetrical top to bottom, like a royal playing card.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MikeJF posted:

We get a flashback from another show, it turns out T'pol was wearing a practical uniform the entire time, it was just Riker tweaking the program.

Riker would never objectify another person like that.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Riker, written by Rick Berman:

Computer: please repeat your request.

*Riker exasperatedly articulating*: BIG. TITTED. ASIAN.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

davidspackage posted:

Riker, written by Rick Berman:

Computer: please repeat your request.

*Riker exasperatedly articulating*: BIG. TITTED. ASIAN. ASIAN, BIG TITS, HOT

c'mon

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Confirmed, generating 'A Man, Big Tits, Hot.'

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The fact that "Chef" was a character constantly referenced throughout the series and only at the very end revealed to be Riker implies that the entire Enterprise series was just the holodeck doing its best at simulating an early earthling space exploration.

Although I also like the theory that the inconsistencies with TNG/TOS was the result of constant pollution of the timestream changing reality.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

Although I also like the theory that the inconsistencies with TNG/TOS was the result of constant pollution of the timestream changing reality.

Simon Pegg once put forward the theory that the reason the Kelvin Timeline is so different in many ways is because once it fully diverged into its own universe with Narada, all the past/future timeline pollution changed to reflect the new reality and tech levels and it all bounced around and changed past and future.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

MikeJF posted:

And flat, comfortable shoes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How's this for a hot take: Enterprise unis are the best unis from a perspective of "I work on a spaceship". A nice marriage of the Star Trek and NASA aesthetics.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

zoux posted:

How's this for a hot take: Enterprise unis are the best unis from a perspective of "I work on a spaceship". A nice marriage of the Star Trek and NASA aesthetics.
I don’t think that’s a hot take

I think the sets are fine, but the ship design was lazy

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Was NX-01 copying Akira-class or was it the other way around

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

zoux posted:

They definitely make the most sense of all the uniforms, especially because they look to have pockets. Would not be surprised if Space Force knocked them off for stationed staff.

DS9 later season unis also fit that look too, except they are the more formal looking uniform. Basically, anything where color is the accent and not the main thing makes a lot more sense.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

SlothfulCobra posted:

The fact that "Chef" was a character constantly referenced throughout the series and only at the very end revealed to be Riker implies that the entire Enterprise series was just the holodeck doing its best at simulating an early earthling space exploration.

I like the idea that Enterprise is a "Living Witness"-level inaccurate retelling but there's nobody that was from that time there to set the record straight.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I wonder how much of the "color of your tunic tells your department" thing in TOS was because of low fidelity of TV broadcasts that they had to be in your face about it so the audience could tell the difference vs Enterprise where they were broadcasting in HD so a strip of color would be good enough. Granted I don't think there's any real-world equivalent of "an entirely different primary color uniform" in modern military (maybe in historic militaries?), but is there that much differentiation in uniform between, say, medical, engineering, command, etc in a modern military?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

I wonder how much of the "color of your tunic tells your department" thing in TOS was because of low fidelity of TV broadcasts that they had to be in your face about it so the audience could tell the difference vs Enterprise where they were broadcasting in HD so a strip of color would be good enough. Granted I don't think there's any real-world equivalent of "an entirely different primary color uniform" in modern military (maybe in historic militaries?), but is there that much differentiation in uniform between, say, medical, engineering, command, etc in a modern military?

Navy NCOs (maybe at CPO level?) wear khakis. Enlisted involved in carrier ops wear all kinds of different colored jumpsuits, but that's more for the pilots' benefits. Then there's the whole white- and black-shoe navy thing.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

Didn't the whole coloured departments thing happen in TOS because a TV company was putting cash into the show to help sell colour sets? You can see the show get more colourful over the two pilots and then the actual show.

The Cage was pretty drab when it came to uniforms and the bridge's paint job.
They added more verity to the uniforms for Where No Man Has Gone Before and re-painted the bridge to be more colourful.
Then the actual run of the show has the uniforms we know.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

zoux posted:

Was NX-01 copying Akira-class or was it the other way around

The story I always hear is that some suit (Berman?) liked the Akira and wanted to use that as the Enterprise, straight up, no changes, and the actual designers realizing how dumb an idea that was came up with the NX-01 based on the Akira's structure instead

In-universe it can be handwaved pretty easily, the NX begat a design lineage of successor designs, one of which is the Akira. The Walker and Centaur are sorta loosely in the same ballpark too I guess. Picard dropped STO's Alita design in the background somewhere too

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FISHMANPET posted:

I keep picturing the uniform divisions to be something like:

Command/Navigation - Red
Security - Yellow
Engineering - Orange
Science - Teal
Medical - Blue
Marines/MACO - Green
General Staff - Gray
Section 31 - BLACK :black101:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I like the idea that the uniform shirts are that way because it means you can keep the uniform while tailoring to individual species' body types and plans. Sure, the Tylacians may have four upper limbs and move on three legs, but by Klono, you see that gold top, you salute.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Delsaber posted:

The story I always hear is that some suit (Berman?) liked the Akira and wanted to use that as the Enterprise, straight up, no changes, and the actual designers realizing how dumb an idea that was came up with the NX-01 based on the Akira's structure instead

In-universe it can be handwaved pretty easily, the NX begat a design lineage of successor designs, one of which is the Akira. The Walker and Centaur are sorta loosely in the same ballpark too I guess. Picard dropped STO's Alita design in the background somewhere too
They essentially just flipped an Akira upside-down and made it look like a much more primitive design.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah it didn't bother me. Starfleet basically has two types of ship design, flat with no engineering hull and taller with an engineering hull. The NX is just one of the flat guys.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Where did the original concept for the Starfleet ship design aesthetic come from? It's very unusual, even after all these years.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The saucer is a flying saucer, no different from in Forbidden Planet or Day the Earth Stood Still. As to the rest of it…you’d have to ask Jeffries I guess. It’s a weird one, for sure.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

zoux posted:

Where did the original concept for the Starfleet ship design aesthetic come from? It's very unusual, even after all these years.

Short answer: Matt Jefferies, the art director for TOS, gradually came up with it after trying a bunch of different ideas.
Longer answer: Designing the first Enterprise

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I think he put the warp engines on pylons away from the crew modules because they were thought to contain dangerous energy

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tighclops posted:

I think he put the warp engines on pylons away from the crew modules because they were thought to contain dangerous energy

Warp particles :hmmyes:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Strange Energies

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Tighclops posted:

The early guidelines were that warp nacelles had to have a line of sight with each other, be parallel, and away from the crew due to radiation.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
IIRC there was a directive given to Matt Jefferies (maybe even from Rodenberry himself) that the Enterprise couldn't just be a flying saucer or rocket ship like every other sci-fi ship of the time, and that's what he came up with. Say what you will about how much sense the Enterprise's design does or doesn't make, but it is iconic.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah it kinda just looks like what you'd get if you crossed a rocket and a flying saucer with maybe a little boaty feeling in there as well.

The Millennium Falcon is the other big cross between a rocket and saucer.

FISHMANPET posted:

Specifically it was because Star Trek was being used to sell color television and needed to emphasize its colors to sell them TVs, but also since color TV was really new and the technology wasn't really there yet, they hosed up and couldn't process green right, which is why yellow-blue-red became the main colors instead of green-blue-red.

zoux posted:

They definitely look like the most functional uniforms, since they were designed to look more "present day", and not trying to depict a more fantastical or futuristic world.

TNG's uniforms were downright unwearable. The TOS movie uniforms I guess were mainly just dress military uniforms, but it was kind of a weird decision for red to be the color for all Starfleet to wear. I liked the engineering movie uniforms since they looked like they were heavy-duty enough to have extra protection and functions, but that was sadly forgotten by the franchise. And then it was also kind of a weird choice to go with mostly black uniforms in DS9 and Voyager.

I liked the Bajoran uniforms though! Cardassian and Klingon uniforms are kind of overbuilt, although it's neat to have "armor" uniforms, and then Romulan uniforms are kind of a weird choice. Also weird for most alien races to have primarily grey uniforms.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Klingon uniforms look exactly how a society where warrior culture is the most important would look.

I always thought the Cardassian uniforms were retconned to being that way to account for the warmer temperatures Cardassians are used to, like they were super insulated. But yeah Romulan ones are kinda dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

A bit of a random question, but which show did you feel did the best and worst jobs about depicting the various popular alien races? Like, which show had the best Klingons, which had the worst Borg, etc.?