Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

VikingofRock posted:

My Ph.D. is in physics. Nearly every single person I know from my program (both undergraduate and graduate, and including myself) fully intended to do physics research, but then found that academia was awful and left the field. Most of us went into software engineering or data science, and just gave up on using physics in our day jobs, despite the fact that we loved it so much that we all dedicated a decade to studying it. A few of us went into hardware design or green energy, and all of those people quit because the workplaces were so abusive. So now the only people who use physics in their daily lives are the people who went into the defense industry. It's not the choice I made, because I have a strong moral opposition to my work being used to kill people. (I chose software engineering, which, given everything about the tech sector, is its own can of moral worms.) But I understand why those people made that choice, and I don't really think it makes them bad people.

The semiconductor and medical device industries are a good place to use physics every day and not make bombs.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's pretty much this.

The "undocumented kids are being sent with non-relatives who claim to sponsor them and send them to work" situation is a separate issue from the recent trend of GOP states reducing child labor requirements.

They are basically just model laws being pushed in a few states to maybe help out some businesses (especially in the food service industry and retail) because the labor shortage has made it so basic "minimum wage jobs" like "shelf stocker at small clothing store" are jobs nobody wants to do and especially won't do for minimum wage anymore. But, 15-year olds don't have the same kind of sensitivity to wages.

The bills don't even really do that much because child labor law is still governed at the federal level, so you can just move the state requirements closer to the federal minimum. The major change in the child labor law bill that recently passed in Arkansas was that 14 and 15-year olds didn't have to get a work permit. They could always work before, but had to apply for a permit. I don't imagine that there will be a dramatic increase in the number of 15-year olds working because of that bill. If you are working at that age, then your parents are definitely on board and the extra step of applying for the permit probably wasn't much of an impediment.

I'm not sure how you can declare them separate so easily. More kids being trafficked and ending up in the labor market opens the employers to a larger legal risk. These laws are an attempt to shield themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Janet Yellen said in an interview that if they "were forced to invoke" the 14th amendment in response to the debt ceiling not being raised, then it would provoke a constitutional crisis and an unpredictable amount of economic damage.

She also reiterated the position of "no negotiation" and "Congress needs to be the one to lift the debt ceiling" without requiring the U.S. to resort to any extreme or emergency options.

That is basically the same thing she has been saying for months, but the refusal to rule out the 14th amendment and implication that they might be forced to invoke it is the first time that someone in the executive branch has implied that it is something they are actively considering.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1655474678062891009

DeadlyMuffin posted:

The semiconductor and medical device industries are a good place to use physics every day and not make bombs.

I'm not sure how you can declare them separate so easily. More kids being trafficked and ending up in the labor market opens the employers to a larger legal risk. These laws are an attempt to shield themselves.

None of the kids who were trafficked were working legally. And those kids are themselves a small part of the already small amount of 14-year olds working. Arkansas, Iowa, etc. aren't all introducing those laws because they think it will allow people to traffic kids. Those laws were being passed around even before the reporting on that came out.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 8, 2023

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

So can someone explain with more detail about using the 14th amendment to raise the debt ceiling? Most news that I'm reading just reports on the fact they're considering it and that's that.

On it's face it doesn't seem like it primarily deals with debt. I'm curious about a clause or legal argument they might have. (Even if it's just a temporary one to stave off a debt crisis)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Nelson Mandingo posted:

So can someone explain with more detail about using the 14th amendment to raise the debt ceiling? Most news that I'm reading just reports on the fact they're considering it and that's that.

On it's face it doesn't seem like it primarily deals with debt. I'm curious about a clause or legal argument they might have. (Even if it's just a temporary one to stave off a debt crisis)

The 14th amendment has a clause that says, "The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned."

It was basically added to the 14th amendment as part of reconstruction because the Union government feared that after letting the Southern states back into the Union, they might repudiate federal debt obligations used to fund the war and try to honor confederate debt.

The 14th amendment argument is basically just taking that line extremely literally and saying that when congress passed the 14th amendment, they actually made the concept of a debt ceiling unconstitutional (even if it wasn't their direct intent with the 14th amendment) because it mandates that the government cannot default on its debt willingly.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The 14th Amendment states:

quote:

The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned.

Meaning that Congress can't do this and the President must obligate the debt somehow and will invoke the 14th amendment to do so.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The 14th Amendment posted:

The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, [...] shall not be questioned.

According to the argument, this clause means that the government is not allowed to intentionally default on debt, since that would be calling its validity into question. Thus, any law binding the government into a default is unconstitutional.

Remember that there are two separate kinds of debt involved here. The debt of money the government owes as payment for services rendered is the debt which is constantly growing, this is the spending everyone loves to complain about. The bonds that the government sells on the open market to get money to pay for the first debt are the debts that are capped by the debt ceiling.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 8, 2023

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Thank you. That definitely seems incredibly shaky but also good enough to bullshit your way through a crisis.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Harold Fjord posted:

The rate of profit has a tendency to fall and so more and more desperate measures are taken such as finding excuses to pay less than minimum wage.

Plus the economy lost thousands of workers to death and is continuing to lose them to disability

The relentless need under capitalism for companies to not simply be profitable, but growing every fiscal quarter, is a disease which has predictably led to most large companies doing it the easiest way possible, by slashing labor to the bone and doing everything possible to get around paying the minimum wage, including slave labor purchased from American prisons, heinous carve-outs of the minimum wage for people with developmental disabilities or children (particularly in agriculture), and apparently human trafficking and child labor. Capitalism is inherently unsustainable and this poo poo with child labor laws is only a natural outgrowth of that. If this stuff passes and gets normalized, there will certainly be more abominable things down the pike once the shareholders notice that their scrooge mcduck vaults are only 98% full.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Ross Douthat, one of the largest early Ron DeSantis cheerleaders, has written an Op-Ed for the NYT where he has declared that he is giving on up DeSantis before he even formally announces.

There's some self-defense in his explanation ("the media loves Trump and intentionally puts him front and center. Even Republicans who aren't crazy about Trump feel the need to defend him reflexively when they do that. DeSantis would be doing a lot better if it weren't for the media."), but not a great sign for Ron when one of your biggest boosters from all the way back in 2014 is throwing in the towel already.

quote:

It’s Beginning to Feel a Lot Like 2016 Again

Around the time that Donald Trump announced his presidential campaign, there was a lot of chatter about how anti-Trump Republicans were poised to repeat the failures of 2016, by declining to take on Trump directly and letting him walk unscathed to the nomination.

This take seemed wrong in two ways. First, unlike in 2016, anti-Trump Republicans had a singular, popular alternative in Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida, whose polling was competitive with Trump’s and way ahead of any other rival. Second, unlike in 2016, most Republican primary voters have now supported Trump in two national elections, making them poor targets for sweeping broadsides against his unfitness for the presidency.

Combine those two realities, and the anti-Trump path seemed clear enough: Unite behind DeSantis early, run on Trump fatigue and hope for the slow fade rather than the dramatic knockout.

But I will admit, watching DeSantis sag in the primary polls — and watching the Republican and media reaction to that sag — has triggered flashbacks to the 2016 race. Seven years later, it’s clear that many of the underlying dynamics that made Trump the nominee are still in play.

Let’s count off a few of them. First, there are the limits of ideological box-checking in a campaign against Trump. This is my colleague Nate Cohn’s main point in his assessment of DeSantis’s recent struggles, and it’s a good one: DeSantis has spent the year to date accumulating legislative victories that match up with official right-wing orthodoxy, but we already saw in Ted Cruz’s 2016 campaign the limits of ideological correctness. There are Republican primary voters who cast ballots with a matrix of conservative positions in their heads but not enough to overcome the appeal of the Trump persona, and a campaign against him won’t prosper if its main selling point is just True Conservatism 2.0.

Second, there’s the mismatch between cultural conservatism and the anti-Trump donor class. Part of DeSantis’s advantage now, compared with Cruz’s situation in 2016, is that he has seemed more congenial to the party’s bigger-money donors. But many of those donors don’t really like the culture war; they’ll go along with a generic anti-wokeness, but they hate the Disney battles, and they’re usually pro-choice. So socially conservative moves that DeSantis can’t refuse, like signing Florida’s six-week abortion ban, yield instant stories about how his potential donors are thinking about closing up their checkbooks, with a palpable undercurrent of “Why can’t we have Nikki Haley or even Glenn Youngkin instead?”

This leads to the third dynamic that could repeat itself: The G.O.P coordination problem, a.k.a. the South Carolina pileup. Remember how smoothly all of Joe Biden’s rivals suddenly exited the presidential race when it was time to stop Bernie Sanders? Remember how nothing remotely like that happened among Republicans in 2016? Well, if you have an anti-Trump donor base dissatisfied with DeSantis and willing to sustain long-shot rivals, and if two of those rivals, Haley and Senator Tim Scott, hail from the early primary state of South Carolina, it’s easy enough to see how they talk themselves into hanging around long enough to hand Trump exactly the sort of narrow wins that eventually gave him unstoppable momentum in 2016.

But then again, a certain cast of mind has declared Trump to have unstoppable momentum already. This reflects another tendency that helped elect him the first time, the weird fatalism of professional Republicans. In 2016 many of them passed from “he can’t win” to “he can’t be stopped” with barely a way station in between. A rough month for DeSantis has already surfaced the same spirit — as in a piece by Politico’s Jonathan Martin, which quoted one strategist saying resignedly, “We’re just going to have to go into the basement, ride out the tornado and come back up when it’s over to rebuild the neighborhood.”

Influencing this perspective, again as in 2016, is the assumption that Trump can’t win the general election, so if the G.O.P. just lets him lose it will finally be rid of him. Of course, that assumption was completely wrong before, it could be wrong again; and even if it’s not, how do you know he won’t be back in 2028?

Then, the final returning dynamic: The media still wants Trump. This is not offered as an excuse for G.O.P. primary voters choosing him; if the former president is renominated in spite of all his sins, it’s ultimately on them and them alone.

But I still feel a certain vibe, in the eager coverage of DeSantis’s sag, suggesting that at some half-conscious level the mainstream press really wants the Trump return. It wants to enjoy the Trump Show’s ratings; it wants the G.O.P. defined by Trumpism while it defines itself as democracy’s defender.

And so Trump’s rivals will have to struggle, not only against the wattage of the man himself but also against an impulse already apparent — to call the race for Trump before a single vote is cast.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/06/opinion/are-anti-trump-republicans-doomed-to-repeat-2016.html

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Thank you. That definitely seems incredibly shaky but also good enough to bullshit your way through a crisis.

Oh it's definitely shaky. There are about a dozen better ways to address this, the most obvious being Congress eliminates the loving debt ceiling themselves. The 14th amendment was never supposed to mean this, but we were also never supposed to be in a situation where Congress pointed a fiscal gun at its own head and can't reach consensus on whether or not to put it down

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

koolkal posted:

Shortage of labor pushed rich people to want to increase the labor pool, they called up one of the right wing groups that drafts boilerplate legislation that all the republicans distribute (https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2023/03/anti-trans-transgender-health-care-ban-legislation-bill-minors-children-lgbtq/ or Chris Rufo for example) and suddenly you see a wave of states like Arkansas or Idaho passing these bills.

That's my theory at least.

I think they started using it in reaction to the pandemic caused labor shortages and the Fed’s have been looking for it recently, so now they want to legalize what they are already doing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ross Douthat, one of the largest early Ron DeSantis cheerleaders, has written an Op-Ed for the NYT where he has declared that he is giving on up DeSantis before he even formally announces.

There's some self-defense in his explanation ("the media loves Trump and intentionally puts him front and center. Even Republicans who aren't crazy about Trump feel the need to defend him reflexively when they do that. DeSantis would be doing a lot better if it weren't for the media."), but not a great sign for Ron when one of your biggest boosters from all the way back in 2014 is throwing in the towel already.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/06/opinion/are-anti-trump-republicans-doomed-to-repeat-2016.html
I love that nowhere in the article does Boss Ross mention that DeSantis is just absolutely awful in public unless he's doing prepared statements. He can't answer questions without coming off like an alien approximating human behavior. I've said it before, but Trump at least has the appearance of some degree of personality.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I mean, we're pretty much beyond "not a great sign" with the spread looking like this over the past month:

That Emerson spread is only three points less than the same poll's spread between Biden & RFK Jr.--and that latter spread is with only 3 candidates being polled instead of 11, lol.

I never thought they'd run against each other at all anyway. :colbert:

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
Looks like government employees' union is taking a shot at the constitutionality of the debt limit law, on 14th Amendment/separation of powers grounds:

quote:

A union of government employees on Monday sued Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen and President Joe Biden to try to stop them from complying with the law that limits the government's total debt, which the lawsuit contends is unconstitutional.

The lawsuit comes just weeks before the government could default on the federal debt if Congress fails to raise the borrowing limit. Financial markets have become increasingly nervous about the potential for default, with economists warning that a failure to raise the debt limit could trigger a global financial crisis.

On Tuesday, Biden will meet with the top Republicans and Democrats in Congress to seek a potential breakthrough. The two sides remain far apart. Republicans have demanded steep spending cuts as the price of agreeing to raise the debt limit. Biden has argued that the debt ceiling, which applies to borrowing the government has already done, shouldn't be used as leverage in budget talks.

The lawsuit, filed by the National Association of Government Employees, says that if Yellen abides by the debt limit once it becomes binding, possibly next month, she would have to choose which federal obligations to actually pay. Some analysts have argued that the government could prioritize interest payments on Treasury securities. That would ensure that the United States wouldn't default on its securities, which have long been regarded as the safest investments in the world and are vital to global financial transactions.

But under the Constitution, the lawsuit argues, the president and Treasury secretary have no authority to decide which payments to make because the Constitution grants spending power to Congress. Doing so, it contends, would violate the Constitution's separation of powers.

"Nothing in the Constitution or any judicial decision interpreting the Constitution," the lawsuit states, "allows Congress to leave unchecked discretion to the President to exercise the spending power vested in the legislative branch by canceling, suspending, or refusing to carry out spending already approved by Congress."

A Treasury Department spokesperson declined to comment on the lawsuit.

The NAGE represents about 75,000 government employees who it says are at risk of being laid off or losing pay and benefits should Congress fail to raise the debt ceiling. The debt limit, currently $31.4 trillion, was reached in January. But Yellen has since used various accounting measures to avoid breaching it.

Last week, Yellen warned that the debt limit would become binding as early as June 1, much earlier than many analyses had previously predicted, because tax receipts have come in lower than projected.

Laurence Tribe, a law professor at Harvard University, suggested that "it is possible that the Treasury Department would welcome the suit" because it expresses the view that "the ceiling is not a permissible bargaining tool for Congress to employ because it simply threatens to destroy the economy and hold the president hostage."

Tribe has written a column in the New York Times expressing support for the idea that the debt ceiling is unconstitutional. White House aides have explored the notion of having the president invoke the 14th Amendment to the Constitution, which says the "validity" of the public debt "shall not be questioned."

How fast the lawsuit may advance through the legal system depends, in part, "on which federal district judge gets the suit," Tribe noted. "It could move extremely quickly. … It's quite hard to predict."

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/lawsuit-yellen-should-ignore-unconstitutional-debt-limit

Complaint here: https://thehill.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2023/05/NAGE-Debt-Limit-Complaint.pdf

So the 14th Amendment argument may get some early review.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

kronix posted:

This is just such a ridiculous take. There’s tons of research that happens within the DoD because there’s a ton of funding thats there for things that advance science. Everything from GPS to Nuclear reactor designs that may ultimately save us from climate change are a direct result of DoD research.

But it’s fine, the tcp packets you used to poo poo on DoD employees were also designed funded by DoD research too.

Heck the neutrino detection experiment in the homestake gold mine was partly funded by the military.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

VikingofRock posted:

My Ph.D. is in physics. Nearly every single person I know from my program (both undergraduate and graduate, and including myself) fully intended to do physics research, but then found that academia was awful and left the field. Most of us went into software engineering or data science, and just gave up on using physics in our day jobs, despite the fact that we loved it so much that we all dedicated a decade to studying it. A few of us went into hardware design or green energy, and all of those people quit because the workplaces were so abusive. So now the only people who use physics in their daily lives are the people who went into the defense industry. It's not the choice I made, because I have a strong moral opposition to my work being used to kill people. (I chose software engineering, which, given everything about the tech sector, is its own can of moral worms.) But I understand why those people made that choice, and I don't really think it makes them bad people.

Or video games where I did get to use physics occasionally

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

SA literally ate my reply about lunch with William Colby.

Or perhaps it was by design. Hmmm.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

DeadlyMuffin posted:

What, and participate in the immiseration and bankruptcy of millions in the service of abusive profit-seeking capitalists? That's hardly moral.

yes I am being facetious

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Professor Beetus posted:

The relentless need under capitalism for companies to not simply be profitable, but growing every fiscal quarter, is a disease which has predictably led to most large companies doing it the easiest way possible, by slashing labor to the bone and doing everything possible to get around paying the minimum wage, including slave labor purchased from American prisons, heinous carve-outs of the minimum wage for people with developmental disabilities or children (particularly in agriculture), and apparently human trafficking and child labor. Capitalism is inherently unsustainable and this poo poo with child labor laws is only a natural outgrowth of that. If this stuff passes and gets normalized, there will certainly be more abominable things down the pike once the shareholders notice that their scrooge mcduck vaults are only 98% full.

See, this is the part that bothers me: WHY does it have to keep growing? How did just being a profitable service people want become "not enough"? This whole system is made up, and the only thing keeping the system terrible and awful is that one of the made-up rules is innately unsustainable and has only been maintained thus far via unnecessary human suffering. So why keep doing it?

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

See, this is the part that bothers me: WHY does it have to keep growing? How did just being a profitable service people want become "not enough"? This whole system is made up, and the only thing keeping the system terrible and awful is that one of the made-up rules is innately unsustainable and has only been maintained thus far via unnecessary human suffering. So why keep doing it?

Because the shareholders want to get paid.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

the_steve posted:

Well you can't have TOO much money coming into the household, or else people might start getting ideas above their station.
There's a fine balance they want where we can scrape by and maybe get ourselves a little treat every once in awhile without being able to meaningfully save up enough to open other options, otherwise you lose the labor class that makes everything functional.

Pretty sure the idea was that they could lower wages to compensate, ie: only the total household income matters, so they get more workers for cheaper by encouraging bigger households.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 8, 2023

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

Basically what kzin602 said, I'd add is because the people with the most money, whom capitalism is intended to benefit most, want to be able to acquire more money without having to perform any labor. Their primary income isn't wages, it's dividends or proceeds from selling or renting their investments, or interest from loans to banks or companies or individuals. The only way for this to happen is endless, unsustainable, rapacious growth at all costs.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

The mentality, as explained by the former owner of the company I work for is, "if you aren't growing (getting bigger, making more money) you're dying" and really, due to the tendency of the rate of profit to fall, it is true to a certain extent in a capitalist market economy. If you aren't innovating or expanding, your comparative advantage in the marketplace will eventually disappear due to a myriad of reasons. The dynamism of the marketplace is supposed to be one of its strengths and if you don't continue to grow in some way, your company will eventually go out of business. True innovation though, especially in a mature marketplace is pretty hard to achieve, even if you want to, so to maintain your comparative advantage, you, as the owner, or the representative of ownership will do things like reduce labor costs by laying people off or limiting pay scales, or acquiring other companies to increase the volume of sales while making the same margins through efficiency of resources. Cutting labor costs is by far the easiest and cheapest of those options and the negative effects won't be felt for months or years down the road in a lot of cases. Look at Twitter for example, Elon cut 80% of the workforce and it still works, after a fashion. Long term it's hosed and that's what happens to most companies that cut labor costs to the bone but the overall trend, absent a counterbalancing force from a combination of labor unionism and government intervention is to minimize labor costs whenever possible and to get as large as possible. That's pretty much how you "win" capitalism.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

So I've always wondered if individual companies can avoid this sort of trap even thought they're publicly listed or if they just slapped immediately by the courts due to Dodge vs Ford motor co all over again.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Unfortunately, the best answer to this that I've seen comes from here:

quote:

Moloch is introduced as the answer to a question – C. S. Lewis’ question in Hierarchy Of Philosophers – what does it? Earth could be fair, and all men glad and wise. Instead we have prisons, smokestacks, asylums. What sphinx of cement and aluminum breaks open their skulls and eats up their imagination?

And Ginsberg answers: Moloch does it.

There’s a passage in the Principia Discordia where Malaclypse complains to the Goddess about the evils of human society. “Everyone is hurting each other, the planet is rampant with injustices, whole societies plunder groups of their own people, mothers imprison sons, children perish while brothers war.”

The Goddess answers: “What is the matter with that, if it’s what you want to do?”

Malaclypse: “But nobody wants it! Everybody hates it!”

Goddess: “Oh. Well, then stop.”

The implicit question is – if everyone hates the current system, who perpetuates it? And Ginsberg answers: “Moloch”. It’s powerful not because it’s correct – nobody literally thinks an ancient Carthaginian demon causes everything – but because thinking of the system as an agent throws into relief the degree to which the system isn’t an agent.

Bostrom makes an offhanded reference of the possibility of a dictatorless dystopia, one that every single citizen including the leadership hates but which nevertheless endures unconquered. . . . . .

https://slatestarcodex.com/2014/07/30/meditations-on-moloch/

(the rest of this blog is bad and off the right-wing deep end -- sortof a highbrow Joe Rogan from what I gather at least)

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

(the rest of this blog is bad and off the right-wing deep end -- sortof a highbrow Joe Rogan from what I gather at least)

It's somehow worse, if you can believe it. SSC is very much out of the 'instead of actually doing any reading in a field we will simply reason it from first principles and call that Rationalism. Never mind that all our conclusions curiously align with our personal biases, this simply proves our personal biases are Rational.' FTX was absolutely shot through with these assholes.

These are the Roko's Basilisk people. And if I just prompted you to look up what that is, I'm very sorry.

e: SSC is like if AO3 did philosophy and didn't have standards.

Doctor Yiff fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 9, 2023

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

So basically, the answer I've gathered from these responses is that the "infinite growth" thing is necessary only because it provides a large amount of money to a small amount of people despite causing a large amount of damage to a large amount of people and doing long term damage to companies as a whole.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

So basically, the answer I've gathered from these responses is that the "infinite growth" thing is necessary only because it provides a large amount of money to a small amount of people despite causing a large amount of damage to a large amount of people and doing long term damage to companies as a whole.

:capitalism:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

And because we have not yet sufficiently re-organized society so as to stop it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Also because there are a thousand incentive structures at every layer of society encouraging this behavior and rewarding it. The machine is self perpetuating at this point.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

WarpedLichen posted:

So I've always wondered if individual companies can avoid this sort of trap even thought they're publicly listed or if they just slapped immediately by the courts due to Dodge vs Ford motor co all over again.

The real product of any public corporation is shareholder value. Apple does not make computers, they make stock value. This is why companies like bed bath and beyond imploded, the shareholders can direct the company to spend all it's capital in order to buy its own stock so that the shareholders can sell that stock to the company at an inflated price. The stock is now no longer backed by that capital as the company spent it all on itself, so the price crashes, but that's somebody else's problem now.

Corporations want children working in feedlots and meat processing because those jobs are so brutal, so abusive and so damaging to the employees that if you, as a rational adult who can look up labor laws on the internet worked that job you'd be suing your employer after a week. Children, however are easy to manipulate and lack the facilities to understand their rights.

Meat packing plants also regularly use illegal immigrant labor, but use the threat of deportation and prosecution for identity theft to keep employees in line.

If you are the c level staff of a corporation, you have a duty to your shareholders to lobby for reduced worker rights and increasing abuse of your fellow man. Anything else is just leaving money on the table.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Market competition. If you're not growing, but your competitors are, then your competitors will eventually overtake you and squeeze you out of the market.

That's why morality is basically impossible under unrestrained free-market capitalism. Even if one company decides to give up on potential profitability for ethical reasons, another business will happily do those unethical things. Moreover, the extra profitability they gain from those unethical things will allow them to pull ahead of the ethical company in some way, eventually cutting into the ethical company's market share and income and reducing it to a minor player in the market at best.

Given the choice between "basic human decency" or "make more money", companies that choose the latter will tend to take a dominant position over companies that choose the former. At least, unless there's external forces (such as a strong regulatory state) to prevent unethical conduct from being more profitable.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

And because we have not yet sufficiently re-organized society so as to stop it.

Yeah, these honestly seem like very fixable problems. None of this is needed in any meaningful way, it's just a weird glitch that's being exploited instead of fixed.

In the future, we should probably not structure our society in such a way that so many people's lives can be negatively effected by rich people gambling on the feelings and whims of other rich people by which I mean the stock market.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Colby:

I was at Activision when we started work on SpyCraft: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spycraft:_The_Great_Game

quote:

Spycraft: The Great Game is an adventure CD-ROM game published by Activision in 1996. It details the attempted assassination of the President of the United States and the CIA and SVR attempts to save him. Although the game was not approved by either organization, it tends to favour realism due to its coordination with former CIA director William Colby and former KGB Major-General Oleg Kalugin, who also appear in the game as themselves.

So we're at Hamburger Hamlet with a few Activision people and Colby. I'm there because I'm running tech and did a lot of the CD stuff (Want some rye?).

And I just had to ask Colby this:

"When did you realize that we were not going to win in Vietnam?" (Colby ran the CIA office in Vietnam).

He replied (paraphrasing): "1963 ... The Diem Coup, but we had to stay in it so not to lose face and there was always the chance we could pull it off."

He also had spy stories to share.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

VideoGameVet posted:

Colby:

I was at Activision when we started work on SpyCraft: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spycraft:_The_Great_Game

So we're at Hamburger Hamlet with a few Activision people and Colby. I'm there because I'm running tech and did a lot of the CD stuff (Want some rye?).

And I just had to ask Colby this:

"When did you realize that we were not going to win in Vietnam?" (Colby ran the CIA office in Vietnam).

He replied (paraphrasing): "1963 ... The Diem Coup, but we had to stay in it so not to lose face and there was always the chance we could pull it off."

He also had spy stories to share.

So to be clear, does everyone agree former CIA director William Colby is an irredeemable piece of poo poo for participating in the Vietnamese Holocaust for 12 year for no reason?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

kzin602 posted:

Because the shareholders want to get paid.

It should be noted that it used to be that investing in a mid-sized company that focused on long term stability was a very effective way to get paid.

The modern stock market has basically destroyed traditional valuation and shareholder dividends in favour of gambling-adjacent speculation as the driving force of economic progress, though, Our acceptance, or rather active encouragement, of that, basically building the bitcoin-esque hype system in as a fundamental component of the modern economy, is a real issue.

We aren't just doing capitalism at this point, we have intentionally embraced a kind of speculative capitalism that really accentuates many of its negatives.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 9, 2023

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fizzy posted:

The United States' legal, justice and extrajudicial system, famous for not being willing to just kill whoever (unless you are poor or a member of a minority group).

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I see that my post was probated for being "Non-serious", whereas the post that I was replying to (an equally bare assertion that Singapore and China are "willing to just kill whoever") was not probated. What gives?

Fart Amplifier posted:

Easy to do when you're willing to just kill whoever.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Doctor Yiff posted:

SC is like if AO3 did philosophy and didn't have standards.

Incorrect. The people on AO3 know that what they doing is inherently fake as opposed to these dweebs. And fairly infamously the site's only standard is "will not host something against US law."

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

fizzy posted:

I see that my post was probated for being "Non-serious", whereas the post that I was replying to (an equally bare assertion that Singapore and China are "willing to just kill whoever") was not probated. What gives?

The other one was not reported, though it likely should have been hit as well. If you have further questions, please continue the conversation by PMing me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
All it takes is simply enforcing the laws that are on the books against the rich. For some reason, that doesn't happen, unless they stole a richer person's money.