Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Uggggggh this bullshit manufactured drama is the worst

I mean, they had to show at least some of those behind the scenes drama, otherwise Ethan's post-fight comments would sound like a complete non-sequitur (it kinda was anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

But think of the social media metrics you guys

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
With the amount of vitriol they get on line for even just non-edited stuff I am surprised that the teams aren't throwing a poo poo fit when stuff is super misstated.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Uggggggh this bullshit manufactured drama is the worst
Seems pretty dang organic.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

apatheticman posted:

With the amount of vitriol they get on line for even just non-edited stuff I am surprised that the teams aren't throwing a poo poo fit when stuff is super misstated.

I don't know who gets to decide which bots are in the field, but teams might be treading carefully because an invite is not guaranteed.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's interesting because in reality Battlebots hasn't shown anything that terrible with Team Riptide and Ethan, several relatively minor drama moments. So I don't think we can really blame them that much for the hatred the team is getting from Reddit and other places.

A lot of the dislike from Team Riptide has been dug up by the redditers and not really Battlebots fault. Without the team being funded by the Dad's snake oil Autism cure, I'm not sure the hate for Riptide would be as much. They would just be cocky assholes that back it up in the box, which is natural to dislike.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
70% the snakeoil sponsor, 15% their just general douchy rich kid that's never been corrected vibes, 15% the accumulating minor infractions that again screams douchy rich kids that have gotten away with everything in their lives to date. I genuinely think the children on that team would grow as humans to get absolutely slapped down and banned for violating rules. The old guy is a lost cause that should be incarcerated for selling fake medicine.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Coaaab posted:

this is how you know battlebots has achieved being an actual sport

That is a valid point, except we haven't yet had drug scandals (that I know of?), insane managers (OK we know at least one) , administrative corruption (hold your horses), organized crime, racism, serious injury, am I missing anything?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ewe2 posted:

That is a valid point, except we haven't yet had drug scandals (that I know of?), insane managers (OK we know at least one) , administrative corruption (hold your horses), organized crime, racism, serious injury, am I missing anything?

Rip Ray's finger

Esoter1c
Jul 18, 2007
Do you know me?
In a bit late but I drew this up yesterday then watched the episode.

I don't think less of Shatter, but I'll say that the brother on the team needs to cool it and seems to be a bit of a loose cannon that Adam is always trying to calm down.

The third weigh in explains a bit, but can you blame Shatter for wondering about the weight discrepancy? They decided they were satisfied with the further checks and fought. Ethan bringing up paranoiaon the post fight interview was a total dick move and I can't blame Shatter for not shaking. If what Adam said is true about the rumors in the pits it surely won't be the last of it, and I hope dearly that they get taken down a notch.

Esoter1c fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 6, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Esoter1c posted:

and I hope dearly that they get taken down a notch.

Yeah they're definitely cruising for a bruising, dunno if Hypershock will be up to the challenge but I'm counting on End Game to get it done

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

In less drama news. NHRL starts at noon Saturday! With limiting the 3lb field at 160lb and the new format, the event probably won't run until late into the evening / Sunday morning.

Also if you want some pregame action, they put up a top 10 destructive fights for 2023 so far! The #1 fight featuring members of Team Ribbot & also the captain of Banshee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95kDT8spzaY

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Been a pretty cool NHRL event so far today. Pretty fast paced with single elimination fights. Had some teams from England and Brazil come in for the event. Now called Lil ripperoni was in the 30lb this event, but got taken down by one of the brazilian teams!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

oh lol I forgot to do a bracket this year. Just put me all in on Huge as per tradition.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Good old wheeless Droopy returning after a couple years off. In the final 4 this event so will be back for the finals in November!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Been a pretty cool NHRL event so far today. Pretty fast paced with single elimination fights. Had some teams from England and Brazil come in for the event. Now called Lil ripperoni was in the 30lb this event, but got taken down by one of the brazilian teams!

They also had a HUGE type bot called Axis of Evil taken down very early in the event by other recognisable Battlebots players with a eggbeater bot. Lil Rip got very chopped up by Chibata though, that's an awesome bot and thoroughly deserved the win. Very exciting to see the Brazilians come through!

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 7, 2023

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

In less drama news. NHRL starts at noon Saturday! With limiting the 3lb field at 160lb and the new format, the event probably won't run until late into the evening / Sunday morning.

Also if you want some pregame action, they put up a top 10 destructive fights for 2023 so far! The #1 fight featuring members of Team Ribbot & also the captain of Banshee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95kDT8spzaY

I think the Jackpot captain was on Banshee captain's team too. That drum spinner bot of his is hellacious

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Tunicate posted:

oh lol I forgot to do a bracket this year. Just put me all in on Huge as per tradition.

:same:

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015
I swear I made this before watching the episode, our family watches on Sundays.

Huge is gonna obliterate that quadrant.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

My prediction is also a fairy-tale ending for Minotaur in a slightly different pattern. Interesting that we both assume that Bales will whip Kurtz's rear end but fall to End Game, but disagree as to Hydra's longevity and opponents. Q4 is a mixed bag.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 12:09 on May 8, 2023

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015
Yeah, quadrant 4 is the one I'm least sure about. I waffled on Sawblaze vs Minotaur as well, especially since Sawblaze beat Minotaur last year. After watching that fight again though, it seemed like it was going Minotaur's way unil their weapon shut down, and they haven't had that problem this year.

As for the Hypershock prediction, I'll admit part of it is hope since Hypershock is my favorite bot. But I genuinely do believe they'll take Riptide out. Sure Riptide looks supposedly unstoppable, but the only decent opponents they've faced were Mad Catter and Black Dragon. Both great bots, but Hypershock has been on a tear lately.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

PostNouveau posted:

I think the Jackpot captain was on Banshee captain's team too. That drum spinner bot of his is hellacious

Puca is David Smalls beetle yeah, it's very good

e: How was the stream for those who watched, any feed back I can pass along?

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 8, 2023

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

FlavoFibe posted:

As for the Hypershock prediction, I'll admit part of it is hope since Hypershock is my favorite bot. But I genuinely do believe they'll take Riptide out. Sure Riptide looks supposedly unstoppable, but the only decent opponents they've faced were Mad Catter and Black Dragon. Both great bots, but Hypershock has been on a tear lately.

That Hypershock that tore through the golden bolt tournament could take Riptide for sure.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Nodoze posted:

Puca is David Smalls beetle yeah, it's very good

e: How was the stream for those who watched, any feed back I can pass along?

I think I've said it before, and I'll admit its an issue I don't know an easy solution to. Its too long. I caught the last 3 and a half hours, so I missed like 3 quarters of the overall stream. I don't really know how to watch the stuff I missed, going back and trying to watch a ~12 hours long stream is just a pain in the backside as I'd have to try and keep track of where I was up to, skip to that bit, and because its the livestream there's a fair bit of down time when I'm only wanting to watch the fights. I'd love an edited down version but I know its not really feasible to do, it'd probably be a full time job for someone over the course of a week or so at a minimum.

Its things like I heard Ripperoni was there, I wouldn't mind finding that fight and watching it. That's a really hard thing to do.

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015

PostNouveau posted:

That Hypershock that tore through the golden bolt tournament could take Riptide for sure.

I agree. I don't love team Riptide, so if Hypershock can punt that bot into hyperspace through some good driving I'll be very happy.

Edit: Not really related but I just wanted to say that I loved the change they made this season with being able to see everyone's fight schedules. It made it feel more like a real sport, and predicting how each bot's season would go has been fun.

FlavoFibe fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 8, 2023

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I think I've said it before, and I'll admit its an issue I don't know an easy solution to. Its too long. I caught the last 3 and a half hours, so I missed like 3 quarters of the overall stream. I don't really know how to watch the stuff I missed, going back and trying to watch a ~12 hours long stream is just a pain in the backside as I'd have to try and keep track of where I was up to, skip to that bit, and because its the livestream there's a fair bit of down time when I'm only wanting to watch the fights. I'd love an edited down version but I know its not really feasible to do, it'd probably be a full time job for someone over the course of a week or so at a minimum.

Its things like I heard Ripperoni was there, I wouldn't mind finding that fight and watching it. That's a really hard thing to do.

They've attempted to do various recaps in the past, although sometimes a few weeks after the events. But pretty inconsistent.

It would be really cool though if they would split up the 12lb & 30lb brackets into their own video with each fight and a bracket between. Should be pretty easy now with the single elimination format.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
There's a tiny part of me that wants to split the videos up myself, but I'd just end up never finishing it, and I'd definitely never watch it afterwards. Also I know nothing about video editing, that's a key flaw in that plan.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

There's a tiny part of me that wants to split the videos up myself, but I'd just end up never finishing it, and I'd definitely never watch it afterwards. Also I know nothing about video editing, that's a key flaw in that plan.

It's definitely one of those things where the solution seems simple ("Just do X!") but a video editor would probably quote them like a full week of work for it because saying it is a lot easier than doing it.

I'd definitely watch quarterfinals on for each weight class. The livestreams are cool to catch bits of, but yeah that 12-hour runtime is daunting.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

They do timestamp the matches afterward, but it takes a few days. People have brought up running separate streams but it comes down to not really wanting to cannibalize the main one and/or becoming confusing for people looking for things. Eventually I think it may happen but that's just my personal guess

I will pass along the suggestion to maybe posting broken up segments like "Xlb top 8" , that seems to be the least amount of actual work since it would just be moving already recorded footage around

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 8, 2023

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I'll be honest, I don't think I knew they timestamped the fights afterwards, I'll have to keep my eye out in future. I do love the idea of having a video for each weight class.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

FlavoFibe posted:

Indeed, Bales and his bot are ready for that fight in a way that Riptides previous opponents have not been, so its the best chance of stopping Riptides progress.

Outside of simply box-rushing, Riptides driving strategy is simplistic and we know how mature Bales ability is, as long as he can out-drive Kurtz, which I think he easily can, he can can deliver enough damage and control the match for the win.

Or... it could be the Whiplash match where Riptide is burning and Hypershock is stuck in the wall :v:

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 9, 2023

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

There's a non zero chance hypershock turns right, gets caught on a seam, and has two tires ripped off inside 15 seconds.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

So are they going to build a self-righting mechanism next time, or just practice throwing themselves against the wall more?

Either way they're the bot to watch.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Great Beer posted:

There's a non zero chance hypershock turns right, gets caught on a seam, and has two tires ripped off inside 15 seconds.

Chronojam posted:

So are they going to build a self-righting mechanism next time, or just practice throwing themselves against the wall more?

Either way they're the bot to watch.

Both valid points, it all comes down to Bales driving mojo on the night. Definitely the wheels and the upside-downness are problems.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Didn't they used to have a self righter? Did they just get rid of it to reduce complexity and the failure that comes if it doesn't work?

Edit: I honestly though I'd made up them having a self righter.
https://hypershock.tv/blogs/inside-the-bot/srimech

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Didn't they used to have a self righter? Did they just get rid of it to reduce complexity and the failure that comes if it doesn't work?

Their current self righting mechanism seemed to be working as intended during that last fight.

It is Will Bales' Florida Man driving :black101:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

They've spent so many losses on their back for like half the fight. "Weapon clears the ground upside down" but it doesn't do much.

That said, 40 lbs is a lot of weight and they say they used the weight mostly for the weapon, which does seem to hit much harder now. Maybe their best chance to win is to just hope they never get flipped over.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Didn't they used to have a self righter?

They had a rake mount that was strong enough to flip them

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
lmao I'm catching up with last week's episode and lol at riptide breaking parc fermé rules. Shatter I have no doubts is about to get wrecked but drat the riptide team is unlikable.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It's interesting because in reality Battlebots hasn't shown anything that terrible with Team Riptide and Ethan, several relatively minor drama moments. So I don't think we can really blame them that much for the hatred the team is getting from Reddit and other places.

A lot of the dislike from Team Riptide has been dug up by the redditers and not really Battlebots fault. Without the team being funded by the Dad's snake oil Autism cure, I'm not sure the hate for Riptide would be as much. They would just be cocky assholes that back it up in the box, which is natural to dislike.

I knew nothing about the snake oil thing (which i only know as much as in the past 2 pages) and still think they're terrible. The captain is an incredible dickhead. The post fight stuff about shatter's paranoia was a big heel move

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

They've spent so many losses on their back for like half the fight. "Weapon clears the ground upside down" but it doesn't do much.

The question is, has Riptide been flipped over and what do they do in that situation? Answer: very similar. One example I could find was the match against Bloodsport in the Vengeance in Vegas clip at about 20 seconds in, a hit against Bloodsport overturns Riptide. So they're evenly matched there, but it looks like Riptide has the advantage of using gyroscopic motion to help get back upright more quickly. And its weapon is also just as useful upside-down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpZFTCwFoBA

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 10, 2023