Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
More than likely they are trying to work with Valve to restore it and if it isn't restored they are going to try to release it with their own launcher while they handle the legal battle. I think if they were going to go the gofundme route and crowdfund the legal battle it would've happened by now, and clearly they didn't like that idea or the rogue employee doing it, and it's a last resort. I think they are going to try to fund their legal battle with EA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Funding your legal battle with the thing the legal battle is over sounds like a really bad idea.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Akumos posted:

More than likely they are trying to work with Valve to restore it and if it isn't restored they are going to try to release it with their own launcher while they handle the legal battle. I think if they were going to go the gofundme route and crowdfund the legal battle it would've happened by now, and clearly they didn't like that idea or the rogue employee doing it, and it's a last resort. I think they are going to try to fund their legal battle with EA.

Valve's not going to restore it if they have any sense in their brains (and they have a lot of sense when it comes to protecting their asses legally). Valve doesn't want to be sued by Nexon (not EA) which is what they will be open to if they put Dark and Darker back up without settling things with Nexon first. If there's even a tiny bit of doubt that Dark and Darker is legally completely in the clear, they will be in trouble for letting D&D back on before things are resolved. They're already trying to convince Valve to take one for the team, but Valve's not gonna bite that poisoned apple.

Blockhouse posted:

Funding your legal battle with the thing the legal battle is over sounds like a really bad idea.

Also yes, a very bad idea.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's a good idea actually. Great in fact.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Yeah actually that strikes me as a good idea. If they lose outright to the degree they have to pay back that revenue they're probably going bankrupt anyway.

edit: Also Nexon presumably would know this, so it wouldn't be in their interest to go for a scorched earth resolution because you can't get blood from a stone. Incentivizes them to try to settle for a cut of the profits or something like that.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 13:32 on May 4, 2023

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I like it because one I get to play the game (most important) but also Nexon's lawsuit is petty bullshit and I like Ironmace doing what they should've been able to do absent it.

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

Groovelord Neato posted:

I like it because one I get to play the game (most important) but also Nexon's lawsuit is petty bullshit and I like Ironmace doing what they should've been able to do absent it.
:same:

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

last playtest data released

they still had 450k accounts created compared to 1.9m prior test, which given the distro model... wow

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I created 3 accounts by accident

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

VulgarandStupid posted:

I created 3 accounts by accident

Someone I play with had to make a second because they didn't know they had to save their key haha

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Groovelord Neato posted:

I would also like to play the game, but I'd also like for it to come out, be feature complete, have stuff added to it, and be successful. None of which is going to happen if Ironmace continues to do the dumbest possible poo poo you could be doing while engaged in a lawsuit since it's all going to be ammunition in a court room. Which I think most people would unless we've just fully given up on the idea of the game ever actually coming out?

Like there's a reason the first thing a lawyer tells you to do when you're engaged in a lawsuit is to shut the gently caress up and keep your head down and whatever you do don't talk about the case publicly.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

I would also like to play the game, but I'd also like for it to come out, be feature complete, have stuff added to it, and be successful. None of which is going to happen if Ironmace continues to do the dumbest possible poo poo you could be doing while engaged in a lawsuit since it's all going to be ammunition in a court room. Which I think most people would unless we've just fully given up on the idea of the game ever actually coming out?

Like there's a reason the first thing a lawyer tells you to do when you're engaged in a lawsuit is to shut the gently caress up and keep your head down and whatever you do don't talk about the case publicly.

Yeah, this is it entirely.

It's a really bad idea because there's more outcomes than "D&D dead for good" and "Ironmace wins it all" and continuing to do stuff like this means even if they don't lose completely, or if they have a partial victory, then they'll suffer a lot more. For example if they're ordered to pay Nexon compensation but are allowed to release the game, then the compensation might be much heftier thanks to penalties and bury Ironmace anyways.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

On the other hand the more alphas they run and the more jank distribution methods they use the more likely it is for private server capability to pop up more quickly.

And while I would certainly prefer to give them money for the "real" game running on Iron Mace servers with global/true multiplayer progression, I'm certainly not going to ignore the possibility of having communities or friend groups spinning up their own servers to play on.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I just want an offline solo dungeon mode while we wait..

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Graysun is being weird again, something about the 9th now, but has also been liking comments and that has hinted at no EA this month at the very least. Likely some announcement tomorrow. Maybe another playtest idk.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Yeah I posted about the 9th conspiracy last week, and its only grown since then. Its almost 11pm in korea atm, so the 9th is in a little over an hour, so we'll see if anything happens or its a big wet fart, because either is funny

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIyibFd6WaA

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Announcement happened and just ending up being them saying EA is delayed and to wait a little longer. I guess they're gonna wait out the lawsuit like most people assumed yeah. Maybe a playtest before then?

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Akumos posted:

Announcement happened and just ending up being them saying EA is delayed and to wait a little longer. I guess they're gonna wait out the lawsuit like most people assumed yeah. Maybe a playtest before then?

Here's the post if anyone wanted to read it in full.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
I seriously do not understand doing a weird ARG/hype thing for a "Oh sorry EA is delayed" announcement.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Even rabid fans will only remain rabid for so long without being thrown a bone. I see that post as nothing but "we're still here, please don't get distracted by something else, remember this game exists" to fan the embers.

But more importantly, where's the private servers so I can play single player/lan with friends??

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

sushibandit posted:

Even rabid fans will only remain rabid for so long without being thrown a bone. I see that post as nothing but "we're still here, please don't get distracted by something else, remember this game exists" to fan the embers.

But more importantly, where's the private servers so I can play single player/lan with friends??

Oh I don't mind 'we're still here' posts. That's totally fine. But going with the weird ARG-y "That means we're doing an announcement on 5/9!" and hyping up a delay announcement just seems weirdly counterintuitive. If you waste that on delay announcements, then people aren't going to be as hyped in the future.

Basically, it's fine to remind people to keep thinking about D&D. It's just weird to waste hype on an announcement that the game is being delayed in some form.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Just like playtest 5, there was/is probably so much in the air they probably didn't know that they could/couldn't do a release under very recently

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

Dreaming about dying with a fresh cape on my back.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Is this a good sign.

https://madrinascoffee.com/products/dark-darker-box-set

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
One (1) Tub of Dark Roast Cold Brew Coffee.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Probably not. I won't say it is impossible that it is a good sign, but it's only been like a month. So unless they already cut a deal, uhh... I don't see this being a good idea on Ironmace's part.

I will say that Ironmace seems optimistic, or at least publicly so, as they also edited their Steam database to add in the next playtest under the 'Beta' format on Steam. I uh, don't think they're going to have the playtest on Steam anytime soon, but I guess you can get the work in while you wait. They won't be able to actually release (or get back on Steam) until the lawsuit is resolved, though.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 18, 2023

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
they want us enjoying some officially branded coffee when they release EA next week when the promotion ends is how it reads to me, but i'm a cock-eyed optimist :shrug:

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
they probably need an infusion of cash for their legal battle.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

snergle posted:

they probably need an infusion of cash for their legal battle.

That's possible, but it's such a short-sighted move. The legal system tends to have a dim view of companies who try to profit off of IPs that they're being sued over. If they completely win, it's probably fine. But if they lose on any counts, it'll bite them in the rear end hard.

Demon Of The Fall posted:

they want us enjoying some officially branded coffee when they release EA next week when the promotion ends is how it reads to me, but i'm a cock-eyed optimist :shrug:

Doesn't ship until July. They're definitely not gonna be on Steam in a week and the DB management implies they're going to be doing another playtest instead, anyways.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Anything they make off the deal is potentially forfeit depending on how the trial or whatever goes.

Also the “classic cold brew coffee” seems to be freeze dried “instant” coffee with a ton of sugar and powdered milk. Which is weird to call that classic coffee.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Anything they make off the deal is potentially forfeit depending on how the trial or whatever goes.

Also the “classic cold brew coffee” seems to be freeze dried “instant” coffee with a ton of sugar and powdered milk. Which is weird to call that classic coffee.

That's their shtick with the Cold Brew tubs, it looks like. Lookit the flavors.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Well whatever it is sold out in like 4 hours, so

People just wanna show their support for the devs

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Well whatever it is sold out in like 4 hours, so

People just wanna show their support for the devs

It's fine to enjoy the game and it's fine to show support but like, just be cautious when it comes to throwing money after the thing.

I'm not saying this is anywhere near a scam, there's clearly a real game and it's good, but this kind of energy is how you get scammed.

EDIT: I'm saying this as someone who has been scammed.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
that appears to be more of a nescafe conception of coffee. prob a good choice for fundraising insofar as the overhead is super low so the profit margin is very good, plus people generally enjoy sugary, creamy, coffee beverages

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'll buy a Dark and Darker branded Felling Axe.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
new gameplay video just got released a bit ago from the devs, game not dead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApGcaHDDTO4

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

let's fuckin GO. new goblin caves looks awesome too

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
new announcement from the devs this morning. we continue to wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
hot new gameplay video just released!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92iirdz7v2k