Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I don't even remember how Claire got put in prison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Claire rolled into town with a lockpick and knew how to use a gun, come to your own conclusions.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Is the last boss in Code Veronica the first example of a first person weapon in RE?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Treecko posted:

I don't even remember how Claire got put in prison

Started a huge gunfight in umbrella Europe hq

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Is the last boss in Code Veronica the first example of a first person weapon in RE?

I don’t think it predates the GunCon games but it’s the first main (or kind of main) RE game with realtime backgrounds, so at least as far as non-spinoffs go it probably is.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Kosmo Gallion posted:

What does everyone think of Code Veronica?

I played the original Dreamcast version, if my avatar didn't make that obvious.

It's long as hell. I'm glad I figured out how OP the knife was early on because you're constantly ammo starved otherwise. There are some questionable design decisions (it's possible to softlock yourself if you don't know exactly when to unload Claire's inventory at certain junctures, and possible for forget about and permanently lose items in the unlinked metal detector storage boxes). The S-rank speedrun is annoying as gently caress because it needs to be done in <4'30", you're not allowed ANY saves (except for the disc swap due to technical limitations, which doesn't count as one), and you also are penalized if you don't do two particular actions in addition to the old-school rank restrictions. The bosses are largely gimmicky as gently caress, but the Nosferatu fight was cool at least. Steve sucks. Also, Alfred's mental issues are very touchy over 20 years later and they would almost have to certainly go over them with a very fine-toothed comb in a potential remake if they didn't just decide to retcon them.

However, it felt like a natural evolution of the original games. The camera angles being dynamic and, more importantly, NO MORE LOADING TIMES between angle transitions made the gameplay much smoother. The Battle Game was fun (though another questionable design decision was a certain bit of RNG could gently caress you over on Wesker's Battle Game since you need a gun to kill his end boss and getting the file randomly instead hosed you as getting into knife range meant you got OHKed). It was honestly a good entry for people clamoring for fans that wanted more RE at the time but also it's not hard to see why they decided they had to change up the formula after this and Outbreak.

Also, and I don't remember where I heard this, it was basically implied that the Ashfords were Nazis and that this was explicit during development, but was softened at some point.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

site posted:

Started a huge gunfight in umbrella Europe hq

They hated Claire so much they turned a hunter-chopper with a minigun on the her while she was still in the building.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Who would win in a cage match, Claire or Eliza?

Obviously Claire since she made it into the game

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
You have more patience than I do, CV is strictly a 'get the hell out of here' game

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Claire's story is so funny. Re2, goes to raccoon city to find Chris, who isn't there. Cv, goes to umbrella Europe to find Chris, who isn't there. Gets dumped on prison Island, oh I'll just email Leon to get a hold of Chris

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I got attached to Steve and his lugers it kinda hurt when he didn't make it

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Chris went to take down Umbrella and spent a summer bumming around Paris doing a whole lot of nothing.

Claire went to Paris and immediately stormed the Umbrella offices, doing Max Payne poo poo and blowing up hired goons.

Claire is the stronger Redfield.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

Navaash posted:

I played the original Dreamcast version, if my avatar didn't make that obvious.

It's long as hell. I'm glad I figured out how OP the knife was early on because you're constantly ammo starved otherwise. There are some questionable design decisions (it's possible to softlock yourself if you don't know exactly when to unload Claire's inventory at certain junctures, and possible for forget about and permanently lose items in the unlinked metal detector storage boxes). The S-rank speedrun is annoying as gently caress because it needs to be done in <4'30", you're not allowed ANY saves (except for the disc swap due to technical limitations, which doesn't count as one), and you also are penalized if you don't do two particular actions in addition to the old-school rank restrictions. The bosses are largely gimmicky as gently caress, but the Nosferatu fight was cool at least. Steve sucks. Also, Alfred's mental issues are very touchy over 20 years later and they would almost have to certainly go over them with a very fine-toothed comb in a potential remake if they didn't just decide to retcon them.

However, it felt like a natural evolution of the original games. The camera angles being dynamic and, more importantly, NO MORE LOADING TIMES between angle transitions made the gameplay much smoother. The Battle Game was fun (though another questionable design decision was a certain bit of RNG could gently caress you over on Wesker's Battle Game since you need a gun to kill his end boss and getting the file randomly instead hosed you as getting into knife range meant you got OHKed). It was honestly a good entry for people clamoring for fans that wanted more RE at the time but also it's not hard to see why they decided they had to change up the formula after this and Outbreak.

Also, and I don't remember where I heard this, it was basically implied that the Ashfords were Nazis and that this was explicit during development, but was softened at some point.

That's a lot of words, but very accurate of CV

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I think it's a note that tells you about the Ashfords plan and thier DNA testing

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Someone give me a rundown of 0, I've never played it before

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Treecko posted:

Someone give me a rundown of 0, I've never played it before

The whole plot (spoiling it just in case somebody is in the thread without having played it but with the intention of doing so in the future): Rebecca and an ex-con with a mullet go through a train full of zombies and leeches, off-brand Spencer mansion, and the usual final secret facility. By the end, Rebecca knows how Umbrella works and that one of their founders was really into leeches and used them for T-Virus research, but for some reason says nothing during Resi 1. Billy was a convict because he refused to commit war crimes in Africa. Also there was a Tyrant, but it's a prototype and dies. Wesker and Birkin makes cameos in the expensive looking CG cutscenes but don't have an actual role in the narrative except for setting up the self-destruct for the mansion.

As for gameplay, it'd be a basic competent classic Resident Evil, if it wasn't for the amount of backtracking caused by the two new mechanics: a buddy system where you can choose to control either of the protagonists and choose whether they follow you or stay put in a room, and the removal of item boxes, replaced by a system where you can drop items in any room and pick them up again. Like every Resident Evil, enemy placement changes at certain points in the game, so you can legitimately forget you left a critical key item in a room that now is full of zombie monkeys.

It does look extremely pretty though, especially since they actually had the source files for the renders so they could just re-render them for the HD edition, instead of relying on filters and upscaling.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

ask yourself how you feel about animals, but big

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Zero would've been better if they leaned into the absurd "villain controls leeches by singing opera" gimmick more. Like the final boss should've been Billy and Rebecca trying to turn his legion against him with a duet.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I'm not scared of spoilers

I'm ready

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
OK I wasn't actually ready for the opera bit

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Treecko posted:

Why do the Baker's have a full fledged crematorium on thier property? Even before they got molded, that seems a bit extreme.

AS always, analyzing any part of the plot or story in these games is pretty futile.

Medullah posted:

I think based on the success of RE2, RE3 and REm4ke combined with the fact that they released a 3rd person version of V8age that they'll go back to 3rd person. Especially if Resi9ent EIXil is with known characters.

Is the 3rd person thing part of a free DLC? I might give RE8 another go if I can do it like that.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

BiggerBoat posted:

Is the 3rd person thing part of a free DLC? I might give RE8 another go if I can do it like that.

Nah, they tossed it in with the paid stuff.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Treecko posted:

OK I wasn't actually ready for the opera bit

No one ever is.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Zero is so much fun

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The train is legitimately good even with the eventually annoying inventory swapping because its a small space where it feels more natural.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
My favourite descriptor of RE0 comes from Two Best Friends Play which is: Rebecca and Billy fight giant animals while Wesker and Birkin have the lamest Saturday night known to man.

The eliminators are the absolute loving worst enemy I have fought in any resident evil game. Any time I consider replaying RE0 I remember Eliminators and the hookshot and then go do something else.

Kibayasu posted:

The train is legitimately good even with the eventually annoying inventory swapping because its a small space where it feels more natural.

100% agree. Every other part of RE0 feels like it's been done by another game in the series but done better. The train is something of a unique environment to an RE game with the familiar trappings so works really well. The rest...

DeadButDelicious fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 10, 2023

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Yeah the inventory space sucks with swapping items.

You need something sharp Billy. No, the knife doesn't work.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Its wierd, I know so much about this game from a RE Archives book but I never actually went though it

Where's the sharp thing to get Billy out of the room? He's been stuck there overnight, just waiting for Rebecca to drop something down the dumb waiter.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I know the plot but I suck at finding items.

I'm playing with my husband and taking turns

We killed every zombie on the train I know it's going to bite me in the rear end later

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Treecko posted:

Its wierd, I know so much about this game from a RE Archives book but I never actually went though it

Where's the sharp thing to get Billy out of the room? He's been stuck there overnight, just waiting for Rebecca to drop something down the dumb waiter.

If I remember correctly there's an ice pick somewhere nearby the kitchen.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I feel dumb now, thank you

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Treecko posted:

I know the plot but I suck at finding items.

I'm playing with my husband and taking turns

We killed every zombie on the train I know it's going to bite me in the rear end later

I'm pretty sure you'll be okay; I seem to remember there being enough ammo to wreck poo poo real good.

And if not, run past the fuckers when you can, it's Resident Evil.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
It's cool we got the lock pick and the Hookshot

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I drew a Billy

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
It only sucks half as bad as the game

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I just want him to hold the shotgun correctly

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

I forgot the handcuffs and tattoos

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
You really captured his smoldering eyes and mullet. :yeah:

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
RE3 Remake wasn't horrible but over half the game was missing? Also plot points were completely changed? Nemesis is a pansy now? I did enjoy the actual game play more than two. Evasion/Parry mechanics felt a hell of a lot better to ReMake2 subweapon system.

Welp, that's Two PSN Platinum Trophies down.
On to Resident Evil 1 Remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
I got RE3R for like $30 so it was awesome to me. If I had paid the full retail I probably would've been more disappointed.