Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Zonko_T.M. posted:

I finished the novel! I enjoyed it but felt like I missed a lot. I'm not sure how much I missed because of the rough translation or if I'm missing stuff just because Kurvitz is writing with some really weird ideas, chiefly the Pale itself, which never gets the kind of explanation in the novel that it did in DE.

I've got about 20% left to go, so can't say much re your spoiler, but I've gotta say that from about chapter 13 onwards it felt like the translation really picked up and the writing stopped making my editor-brain go "oh that's a weird/bad" choice every couple of paragraphs. I wonder if the translator just didn't get paid enough to do a second pass, so the quality improved as they got into the swing of it but they didn't go back and fix up the early rough chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

wait what where is the GODDAMNED book available

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

dead gay comedy forums posted:

wait what where is the GODDAMNED book available

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Crain posted:

Want to share a link because I'm finding nothing via google.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DiscoElysium/comments/12ysbl1/sacred_and_terrible_air_full_professional/

Found it on Reddit

This link was posted a couple pages back.

e: The book

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Finished the novel now too, and despite the translation (which definitely got a lot better in the back half of the book), I really, really liked it.

I'd probably need to read it again to have any intelligent thoughts, but really what it reminds me of more than anything is a more apocalyptic Twin Peaks: The Return.

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Plot spoilers ahead:
I think the idea is that the Pale or the same phenomenon causing the Pale is also making the memory and physical artifacts related to things lost in it disappear? I think the missing girls were lost because of one of those freak giant waves that Jesper surfs on, and then slowly disappear from memory while the boys chase down false leads. Not really sure what the plan Khan had was meant to be or why Zigi was out exploring the pale and why Zigi was immune to it.

Also interesting to find out that in fiction ZA/UM is a psychedelic drug used to try and read another person's mind???

I think you're on to something with the freak wave idea. Khan explaining that they happen in the Pale as well as the ocean seems like it's the key there.

But I also agree that the thematic point is more important than any actual explanation. Given the core is (I think) nihilism vs communism, the girls represent that too. They're the perfect, beautiful past, that vanished just when things were starting to work, and everyone either forgets them or obsesses over what could have been. And then the world ends. I know that's a pretty shallow reading, but I don't think it's wrong. And Zigi is Nihilism. And Ignus is the Specter of Communism Haunting Katla.

I really hope we get a proper translation, and soon. I would love to read it again, and it's going to stay with me for a very long time in the same way Disco Elysium itself did.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

The loving DMX reference with Shivers

I love this game

e: https://twitter.com/prick_small/status/1655968008131543042

Beasteh fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 10, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I got the Speedfreaks call on my first playthrough and absolutely did the interaction where DJ Mesh calls you a fascist and you can go "what no that was the ultraliberal option, but I can tell you my fascist thoughts instead if you'd prefer" "uh sure, go for it" "it was something about using radio waves to mind control people, probably a rant about traditional values, that kind of thing" "hahah this guy's loving crazy, that's cool w me." and Kim just silently hangs you up out of both sympathy and embarassment.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Beasteh posted:

The loving DMX reference with Shivers

I love this game

e: https://twitter.com/prick_small/status/1655968008131543042

I AM A DETECTIVE , LIEUTENANT-YFREITOR KITSURAGI!!!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Kim would never be so callous as Dr. Han.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Since my entire personality seems to have become "Is Obsessed with A Sacred and Terrible Air," I'm now considering immediately re-reading the novel because someone just posted a different translation on Reddit, which appears to be a bit less... poo poo... than the other one.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DiscoElysium/comments/13e4tle/sacred_and_terrible_air_p%C3%BCha_ja_%C3%B5udne_l%C3%B5hn_full/

Edit: Apparently it's based on a machine translation which was then checked, edited, rewritten, and re-edited by a bunch of different English and Estonian speakers using the Disco Elysium script as a style guide, so we'll see. But two translations are better than one, even if neither is perfect, so what the hell.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 11, 2023

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

cptn_dr posted:

Since my entire personality seems to have become "Is Obsessed with A Sacred and Terrible Air," I'm now considering immediately re-reading the novel because someone just posted a different translation on Reddit, which appears to be a bit less... poo poo... than the other one.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DiscoElysium/comments/13e4tle/sacred_and_terrible_air_p%C3%BCha_ja_%C3%B5udne_l%C3%B5hn_full/

Edit: Apparently it's based on a machine translation which was then checked, edited, rewritten, and re-edited by a bunch of different English and Estonian speakers using the Disco Elysium script as a style guide, so we'll see. But two translations are better than one, even if neither is perfect, so what the hell.

That's wild and I can't believe this is how we finally get a translated version.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Bob the Kurvitz going through a convoluted scheme to get the book out because IP bullshit would be a fairly disco reaction

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

cptn_dr posted:

I read here that the original translation gets better later on in the book, but the first chapter in this one is exponentially better than the last

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

That post mentions “three groups” who’ve posted translations; does that mean there’s two further translations floating around this thread hasn’t seen?

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Bohemian Nights posted:

I read here that the original translation gets better later on in the book, but the first chapter in this one is exponentially better than the last

I am about halfway through the first one that was posted and it's a lot better to me than this one. It has a few things an editor would have fixed, like reused words in the same paragraph when synonyms were available, but overall I think the tone of the first was way closer to DE's narration than Ibex's. Denser, maybe, but that's not a bad thing.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

worm girl posted:

I am about halfway through the first one that was posted and it's a lot better to me than this one. It has a few things an editor would have fixed, like reused words in the same paragraph when synonyms were available, but overall I think the tone of the first was way closer to DE's narration than Ibex's. Denser, maybe, but that's not a bad thing.

Yeah having now read a chunk of Ibex I agree. I appreciate the footnoting in the Ibex one, but beyond that the first one is just more in the spirit of things.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

We’re going to get to the point where figuring out how to read this book is harder than figuring out which Blade Runner to watch

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Planescape: Torment is free on Prime Gaming right now and I’m excited to finally play it after seeing a lot of “this is the closest thing to Disco Elysium that exists”

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

roomtwofifteen posted:

Planescape: Torment is free on Prime Gaming right now and I’m excited to finally play it after seeing a lot of “this is the closest thing to Disco Elysium that exists”

Although they were heavily compared by games criticism, I should say that they in terms of experience they are veeeeeeeeeeeery different. Torment is a good effort in literary terms and for many people was something like having an abridged general introduction to philosophy by the way of D&D, which for the time was quite great - it is the game that inspired Kurvitz after all.

However, it's definitely not a disco experience. The Nameless One is possibly the most important being in Planescape, everyone that matters in the story is personally implicated because of him, etc. It's very much a power fantasy game, it just has 200.000 more words to buffer that feel.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Planescape is a lot more interesting. Combats horrible though

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Planescape is a lot more interesting. Combats horrible though

(oh yeah if you are going Torment for the hack and slash just play Baldur's Gate 2 instead)

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
They’re spiritually similar in that they are departures from the way we were conditioned to experience RPGs. Planescape rules but mechanically, story wise, etc. I think Disco tops it in every category. At the time PST was revelatory and today it is still an excellently written and addicting game that I highly recommend you avoid spoilers for

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Planescape: Torment is a little like Disco Elysium in that the most forthrightly evil options are so horrifying, and so believably written, that I simply cannot choose them

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The main thing I like about Disco is its sense of scale. You're not saving the world, you're just solving a murder in a spit of land nobody cares about.

Torment, by contrast, is much more of a world-saving adventure, and it gets too much for me.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

tbf harry is also a preternaturally skilled detective who has the genius loci of the city speak directly to him in a transcendent spiritual experience and makes an unbelievable world first discovery.

not that this hurts disco elysium at all, it's just that I think the push and pull between, on the one hand, the idea that history is a result of powerful forces and mass movements and on the other hand, close attention to the idea and dignity and sometimes myth of the individual, is one of the really interesting things about the game. harry lives in a world where great man theory is both spiritual and historical truth and that colors the whole game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

An immortal Costeau; the damage would be on a scale to grand to comprehend.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I shudder to think what Practical Harry would be like

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Planescape Torment posted:

What can change the nature of a man?

Tequila Sunset posted:

SPEED

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

i am a moron posted:

They’re spiritually similar in that they are departures from the way we were conditioned to experience RPGs. Planescape rules but mechanically, story wise, etc. I think Disco tops it in every category. At the time PST was revelatory and today it is still an excellently written and addicting game that I highly recommend you avoid spoilers for

DE is superior to Planescape by virtue of actually supporting several different playstyles and character types. Planescape pretty much requires you to play a Mage with maxed out Int and Wis or you will be missing out on 2/3 of the story. The options to play as a Thief or Fighter are cruel lies put there to fool you (they don't even give you any Fighter armor. The best armor in the game is protection rings that can only be worn by mages!).

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Yea that was stupid. I beat the game as a fighter, was like what the gently caress is everyone talking about, and didn’t realize until months later you have to go high INT/WIS. But the second playthrough was still cool af cause half my problem was as a 13 year old or however old I was with 0 exposure to DnD I rolled nothing but fighters ever anyways

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

:golfclap:

Although depending on your play through "regret" is also a powerful motivator for HDB

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Planescape: Torment walked so that DE could fly

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Philippe posted:

The main thing I like about Disco is its sense of scale. You're not saving the world, you're just solving a murder in a spit of land nobody cares about.

Torment, by contrast, is much more of a world-saving adventure, and it gets too much for me.

I get what you're saying in terms of scale, and it's absolutely true because you do travel through multiple planes, but you're not really saving the world in Planescape. I suppose you can see it that way from a particular angle but from start to finish your objective is very much a personal one.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

AceOfFlames posted:

I shudder to think what Practical Harry would be like

Evrart is Practical Harry, the Deserter is Paranoid Harry

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

i am a moron posted:

Yea that was stupid. I beat the game as a fighter, was like what the gently caress is everyone talking about, and didn’t realize until months later you have to go high INT/WIS. But the second playthrough was still cool af cause half my problem was as a 13 year old or however old I was with 0 exposure to DnD I rolled nothing but fighters ever anyways

This is also how I played everything at that age. It's funny I was hooked on Baldur's Gate and NWN but never knew about Planescape until recently.

At least I instinctively knew I'd need those stats if the game is anything like DE so that's good

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

i am a moron posted:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/64381/dialogs-stats-checks-analysis

The sad thing is that physical attributes do unlock a bunch of original dialogue options, albeit not as many as intellectual ones, but you only get to see them if you are playing the game wrong. "Dialogue" in Planescape is more like little CYOA stories, so you will occasionally get the opportunity to perform feats of athletics to solve problems.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I found the combat in Planescape to be so horrid that I never even finished the game, despite liking the story and wanting to know what happened next. I got stuck in some sewer dungeon... or some dungeon immediately post a sewer dungeon... I don't remember the details, some place after Curst or later on in Curst? But I couldn't get back out of, realized I wasn't up for another slog, put the game down and just... never picked it back up, because I knew what was waiting for me. If you excised 90% of the combat from the game it would be so much better.

And I mostly enjoyed the Baldur's Gate games! Planescape just felt horrible.

(Also I don't think I would have tolerated the Baldur's Gate games if not for the built-in multiplayer, I've literally never finished one playing solo)

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 17, 2023

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

planescape was one of my favourite games as a kid and disco is one of my favourite games as an adult, the scope blows DE out of the water and the quests are extraordinarily well-written.
as mentioned, you are cheating yourself if you’re not playing high int/wis/cha, and every locale that’s not sigil is a little half-baked, but it was the first game to teach me that the medium is capable of deep, compelling, and philosophical narratives

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Yeah combat is Bad but these days I guess you can just throw on Story Mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

sebzilla posted:

Yeah combat is Bad but these days I guess you can just throw on Story Mode.
I gifted the Enhanced edition to someone during... one of the past few steam sales, whenever. They really hated the gameplay. Review somewhere in steam gifting thread, I guess.