Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Amechwarrior posted:

You mean like if you swapped out a MG with a SL in the LCT json when would it actually take effect?

When you launch the mission the game generates the OPFOR from a few lists and let's say your locust is pulled, then it loads in the info from the jsons. The game cares not for illegal configs (within a certain limit) as far as I can remember. So you could probably have a 8 PPC HBK-4P showing up in OPFOR and when you load it in the lab it would then flag it as over tonnage.

It's been a while, but that's what I remember happening.

Gwaihir posted:

They're all predefined in the base game. There are mods that dynamically account for changes, generally with extra armor or larger engines.

Thank you both. Yeah, I meant if I adjusted equipment to weigh less or take up fewer slots, whether the AI would then add more stuff to their mechs since they would have more space. Sounds like the answer is no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

GD_American posted:

The dumbest thing I did was not buy 4 of them.

My arty crew is a Teppo, a Long Tom, and a Heavy Mortar Carrier.

Long-term plan is to ally with Davion to get a Paladin to replace the Long Tom
https://www.bta3062.com/index.php?title=Paladin_(Vehicle)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I have a teppo, heavy mortar carrier, lrm carrier mk2, and either another of those or a ballista

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I've got an urbantank with a mortar

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I've got two Teppos, a heavy mortar carrier, and the 4th slot rotates a Schiltron (2x Arrow IV) or a heavy LRM carrier.

I've tried screwing around with Mobile HQs, and while I enjoy getting off the occasional strafing run or well-placed Thunderbolt 20 turret, they're generally too slow for me to use. Most of the tanks are useless, although I've dinked around with Schreks.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
heavy mortar carrier is MVP when you need something dead/debilitated *right now*

GD_American posted:

I've tried screwing around with Mobile HQs, and while I enjoy getting off the occasional strafing run or well-placed Thunderbolt 20 turret, they're generally too slow for me to use. Most of the tanks are useless, although I've dinked around with Schreks.

they are a super, super cool idea but they have to compete with big artillery pieces unfortunately

same with like the armor repair mobile field base or the AMS boat

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I think making them able to call in support and move in the same turn would fix 70% of the problem.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

GD_American posted:

I've got two Teppos, a heavy mortar carrier, and the 4th slot rotates a Schiltron (2x Arrow IV) or a heavy LRM carrier.

what do you use for a lance loadout when you have so much tonnage tied up in fire support? clan mediums?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Captain Foo posted:

what do you use for a lance loadout when you have so much tonnage tied up in fire support? clan mediums?

I'm not GD_American, but I tend to run a similarly heavy fire support lance and yeah my 'mech element is mostly mediums and heavies. I've always found assault mechs in BTA to be too slow and vulnerable and generally favor fast 'mech elements that can get into position rapidly rather than slowly slogging through incoming fire, and I've only gotten more sure of that as new mechanics like clan BA and sanctuary weapons have made standing and slugging it out even more suicidal. I'll typically never run a single 'mech that can't sprint at least 8 hexes, which disqualifies everything over 80 tons automatically(before MASC gets involved).

A Wraith with a couple of LVSPLs jumping 13 hexes into something's back arc and lancing the rear torso will kill most things objectively faster than a Dire Wolf throwing 50 tons of weapons at its front.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I have a Wraith and a Viper in that speed slot so far, but i'm working my way over to the galactic north clans to work some stuff out there. My killiest mechs so far have been leaning on MRMs, and I just picked up some VMRMs and need to refit. The Wraith is fast but a bit underwhelming on the jump though i don't have 15 sorties yet on a pilot. How many IJJs do you load it up with?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

I have a Wraith and a Viper in that speed slot so far, but i'm working my way over to the galactic north clans to work some stuff out there. My killiest mechs so far have been leaning on MRMs, and I just picked up some VMRMs and need to refit. The Wraith is fast but a bit underwhelming on the jump though i don't have 15 sorties yet on a pilot. How many IJJs do you load it up with?

I usually find 8 IJJs to be the sweet spot for ridiculous movement and not sucking up the entire internal structure of the 'mech. Nimble Jumper is a real gamechanger when you unlock it. Tank the engine size as much as possible - the goal with IJJ builds is that you move solely by jumping.

MRMs are a great "kill" weapon. My last career had a missile Barghest with TSM and a bunch of kick actuators that ran at 10 hexes and mounted 50 vMRM tubes.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kanos posted:

I usually find 8 IJJs to be the sweet spot for ridiculous movement and not sucking up the entire internal structure of the 'mech. Nimble Jumper is a real gamechanger when you unlock it. Tank the engine size as much as possible - the goal with IJJ builds is that you move solely by jumping.

MRMs are a great "kill" weapon. My last career had a missile Barghest with TSM and a bunch of kick actuators that ran at 10 hexes and mounted 50 vMRM tubes.

i have a crusader and an orion with 60 tubes each; the crusader has srm2 with acid and the orion has an additional srm6 and i threw iNarc on there (obviously apollo'd up)

Gotta rebuild the Wraith with the engine trick!

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Amechwarrior posted:

The game cares not for illegal configs (within a certain limit) as far as I can remember.

In the base game I'm pretty sure either the Star League Crab or Black Knight has more heat sinks in its legs than it has slots.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

I don't like Clan mediums because melee is essentially off the table, and the Omnis can't use a defense gyro so you're capped at lower evasion.

I have a Phoenix Hawk LAM for a spotter, that's practically unarmed (one heavy medium laser) but evasion tanked to the max and with C3I.
I run 1-2 direct fire assault Mechs, usually boating either Large X-Pulse Lasers or RAC-5s.

Past that, I have a grab bag of lights-mediums that I fart around with, usually with the gimmick actuators. I turned a Chameleon into a roided up punchbot, a Fox that's a DFA king, and a Shadow Hawk II that can kick the shins off of a planet. I've got a few fast backstabby Urbies (a 300 XXL engine and a few heavy lasers make fantastic use of their 360 degree firing arc and narrow profile).

When I feel like it I run a few Monsters with arty (1 dual Long Tom, 1 dual Sniper/dual Arrow IV), but fielding half your unit as artillery turns the game boring.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
the following are probably the most important robbits in my company:

Dire Wolf with two ERLL and two HAG40s -- delete button from long range
Berserker with heavy armor plating, a small shield, TSM/Supercharger/400XL, two snubs and two CSPLS -- 7 EVA, over 2000 armor, can 1v1 the most dangerous enemy mech
Hero Firestarter (Ember) with stealth armor and 7 SXPLs -- monstrous backstabber
Goliath from the Kringles Killers event -- just two CERPPCs but six clan AMS invalidates missiles, which are a problem in larger battles when you have so many opfor mechs with LRMs taking potshots at you
Ostscout -- just one HML but loaded to the gills with infotech and a strafing run suite. Since it has such high evasion and initiative you can have it go last safely, drop the strafing run, and then go back up to 9 EVA at the start of the next turn
Rakshasha with two MRM30/Apollo -- the missiles never end

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Kanos posted:

MRM's and ERML's also share the same range bands. so an upgraded SRM / ML Brawler. once you get over MRM40 it's gravy baby

I think I had an Atlas with MRM40, ERML's and UAC/20. you get to watch a pretty light show and mechs go boom

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

MRM's and ERML's also share the same range bands. so an upgraded SRM / ML Brawler. once you get over MRM40 it's gravy baby

I think I had an Atlas with MRM40, ERML's and UAC/20. you get to watch a pretty light show and mechs go boom

Are you sure that wasn't your own mech overheating?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

OddObserver posted:

Are you sure that wasn't your own mech overheating?

Yang's cool with it. he really likes watching the replays on holovid nights

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Heat Mechs don't seem as fun as they did in early BTA. Few years ago I used to run a Crusader 4L just loaded to the gills with SRM Infernos and flamers. Now I've noticed that even my full time heat-makers don't shut down enemy Mechs as drastically as they used to.

Unless I unpeel some canned sunshine on them from across the map.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I'm not going to lie, I feel as though it's very gamey to move ammo away from the part of the 'mech where the weapon is. I just don't understand how in the fictional universe, ammo in a leg can get fed up to a missile launcher in an arm, or vice versa. So many moving parts in the way of that for a clean ammo feed. I think in my next run I'm going to put ammo in the same section that the weapon is in.

Is it way more dangerous? Yeah, but it just feels right. And if I can blow up an AI Warhammer with a few hits to its center torso, maybe the AI deserves a similar chance.

The problem with this is it just makes energy weapons even more dominant. If the mech doesn't have case its dead, if it does it's massively crippled (or with an XL engine also dead). Especially for the player who is risking a lot more every mission, why would I bring ammo using weapons if I had to put the ammo somewhere it was guaranteed to do something catastrophic when the AI eventually (inevitably) gets lucky?

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

It does seem rather unbalanced and poorly thought out game-design wise. Energy weapons don't have any batteries or coils that could also get critically hit and do collateral damage? No that's a solved problem for lasers and plasma but if you want to die you can load up on ammo that self-explodes.

Give me the phone number for the early 1980s game designers, I have a complaint. Good move with hexagons though.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
In MW5 I had ammo explosion events even in energy only mechs.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Which energy weapons? If you're using a mod that adds them, plasma weapons need ammo and can explode. Chemical lasers also use explosive ammo. I think things like PPC capacitors can also explode but I've never used them in MW5 so I'm not sure.

palindrome posted:

It does seem rather unbalanced and poorly thought out game-design wise. Energy weapons don't have any batteries or coils that could also get critically hit and do collateral damage? No that's a solved problem for lasers and plasma but if you want to die you can load up on ammo that self-explodes.

Give me the phone number for the early 1980s game designers, I have a complaint. Good move with hexagons though.

There's probably an interesting trade off where high heat can cause heatsinks to explode if they get hit, but you'd probably have to drop heat from ammo weapons more than they currently are to get any sort of reasonable parity.

Generally I think there are honestly enough ways for mechs to suddenly cease to exist, and removing moving ammo to less dangerous areas is making them too vulnerable for a small amount of realism.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Oh I was just talking about lasers and PPCs, I assumed one of the P's was Probably for Plasma. It's fine and I'm just poking fun, but the good old medium laser does seem extremely good and reliable in a setting where horrible things can go wrong and you're rolling handfuls of d6 dice. Better move that ammo to the big toe of each mech and add a weightless but convoluted belt-feed system next to the super sinew myomer tendons. I do love mechwarrior though, it's good dumb fun and doesn't have to explain itself to anybody.

e: now I know it actually stands for particle projector cannon™ hell yeah

palindrome fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 10, 2023

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

the tyranny of the mlas is serious thing in battletech combat design

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

give the mlas a chance to be crit or explode heatsinks or something in the next version

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

GD_American posted:

Heat Mechs don't seem as fun as they did in early BTA. Few years ago I used to run a Crusader 4L just loaded to the gills with SRM Infernos and flamers. Now I've noticed that even my full time heat-makers don't shut down enemy Mechs as drastically as they used to.

Unless I unpeel some canned sunshine on them from across the map.

Your problem is trying to boat infernos. Infernos basically don't inflict significant heat damage anymore. You want one(1) inferno launcher to light the hex they're in on fire, but the rest of your loadout needs to be flamers(preferably heavy flamers) or plasma cannons. Sanctuary also has a couple of weird weapons that help out.

Optimal cooker 'mechs are fast mediums with tons of support hardpoints for flamer spam and one missile hardpoint; the Hazard is basically the platonic ideal of a cooker 'mech, though Stormcrows work very well too.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

palindrome posted:

Oh I was just talking about lasers and PPCs, I assumed one of the P's was Probably for Plasma.

Particle Projection Cannon.

It's an ion cannon / atom railgun. The lightning associated with it is canonically it tearing a massive hole through the atmosphere and releasing a gently caress-ton of static electricity. In space, PPCs are invisible.

:pseudo:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

PoptartsNinja posted:

Particle Projection Cannon.

It's an ion cannon / atom railgun. The lightning associated with it is canonically it tearing a massive hole through the atmosphere and releasing a gently caress-ton of static electricity. In space, PPCs are invisible.

:pseudo:

Do they work as well without the atmospheric effects?

I'm guessing not, but they have longer range?

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

yeah I think we'll need some modifiers for atmospheric density, it's not fair that heat dissipates poorly in a vacuum AND the PPC doesn't work more efficiently. what the hell am I even fighting on this moon for?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Kesper North posted:

Do they work as well without the atmospheric effects?

They function normally, the atmospheric effects aren't really part of what they're doing. You're basically shooting a few (thousand) atoms at near lightspeed so PPCs are just as dangerous in space.

All weapons in space have much longer ranges, and AeroSpace units have much longer ranges than 'Mechs even in an atmosphere. They're just limited to their short range bracket when making strafing / strike attacks against ground targets. Against other airborne targets they can hit things well beyond visual range.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 08:00 on May 10, 2023

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
How does that work with what is effectively a line of sight weapon?

Is "visual range" way shorter than the horizon?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm exaggerating a little but they can effectively hit things their pilot can't see (due to size and the speeds involved). "They can shoot things they can detect" is much less impressive.

Each ground hex is 30 meters across in Tabletop BattleTech, and very few weapons are able to strike beyond 21 hexes or 630 meters. Each in-atmosphere AeroSpace hex is 1 kilometer, and AeroSpace fighter extreme range extends out to 25 hexes (25 km). Each space hex is 18km giving most extreme range weapons an effective range (for some definitions of the word "effective" given the huge range penalty) of 450 km. Anything beyond that gets discounted as the travel times give the opponent so much time to evade that even an unpiloted dropship's computer would evade the shot automatically.

AeroSpace fighters have to engage 'Mechs visually in order to attack them, which is why I'm a big supporter of the "battlemechs have incredibly powerful ecm by default, which is why their engagement ranges are so short" while AeroSpace units are comparatively much harder to hide due to their drive flares.

Edit:
You can effectively hide BattleMechs from scout fighters with a few camo tarps so something about them is hard to detect.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 10, 2023

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Considering that modern military parlance doesn't start calling things "beyond visual range" until it can effectively engage beyond 37km, it might just be that the battletech universe overall has rather awful sensor technology.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Kanos posted:

Optimal cooker 'mechs are fast mediums with tons of support hardpoints for flamer spam and one missile hardpoint; the Hazard is basically the platonic ideal of a cooker 'mech, though Stormcrows work very well too.

I've got a few salvage Hazards I haven't really played with yet. I'll poke around there.

I remember trying an all-plasma cannon Dire Wolf build for duels and it just led to this hilariously long 40 round duel until I ran out of ammo, I kept shutting him down but he'd never blow up.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

GD_American posted:

I've got a few salvage Hazards I haven't really played with yet. I'll poke around there.

I remember trying an all-plasma cannon Dire Wolf build for duels and it just led to this hilariously long 40 round duel until I ran out of ammo, I kept shutting him down but he'd never blow up.

Killing mechs that don't have ammo bins with pure heat damage is an excruciatingly long and laborious process.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kanos posted:

Killing mechs that don't have ammo bins with pure heat damage is an excruciatingly long and laborious process.

And cooking lovely avatars to death with a firestarter is hilarious

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Yeah generally heat is for making the enemy shoot less, not actually a kill method. It's like EMP in other games, its a defensive weapon more than something used for damage.

It is incredibly fun to cook an enemy to death, though.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

GD_American posted:

You couldn't kick him to death in that time?

Debilitating a lone enemy and inviting them to a boot party while the other mechs are swatting Battle Armor is how most of my (very early) BTA fights are going.

Buying an LRM Carrier Mk2 is a game changer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mile'ionaha posted:

Buying an LRM Carrier Mk2 is a game changer.

now buy another