Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's called Metaverse and it's being made to promote a real life metaverse, you fuckin' tell me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

that's hosed up

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Tsukasa Shiba rolling in his grave. 😔

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

haypliss posted:

Tsukasa Shiba rolling in his grave. 😔

Which would be much more dramatic if he was dead.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Napoleon Nelson posted:

The Core Gundam was also based on RX-78 2.
which is weird because every time i look at it it just looks like the base AGE-1 to me

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

which is weird because every time i look at it it just looks like the base AGE-1 to me

Which is heavily derived from the RX-78. Looking at the Core next to the AGE, they've got some commonalities (grey leg section, green on chest) but the Age's defining features are absent. The Core has a RX-78 style red piece at the base of the horns, the green bit isn't in the center of the chest to draw focus alongside the vents, and there's no racing spoiler, which is kind of the defining feature of the AGE-1.

I guess it's more a function thing than an aesthetic one. The Core and the AGE were both built around expansion packs to a greater degree than even the Strike or the Impulse, so that common point draws attention more than the finer details.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it might also be rerise's artstyle, the more like, blocky proportions to everything

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

That looks like an unholy love child of the Lupus and the Beal with a Kimaris-esque Lance and a paintscheme making it look a bit Sinanju :stare: :woop:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/Deve_Dy/status/1656166225985282048?t=XpglET80x4pG77BRvT5YPQ&s=19

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Napoleon Nelson posted:

The Core Gundam was also based on RX-78 2.

oh that barely counts, there wasn't a scrap of the original kit left by the time he'd finished building the Core Gundam

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

tsob posted:

Should your problem not be with Mirai and/or the writing around her in that case?

Yeah, as much as I dislike Sleggar, I really dislike the writers for how they constructed a scenario where a woman falls in love with a man who hits her. For me, that’s the biggest character misstep in the series.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

that's funny, but here's a comparison i found fairly intriguing:

https://twitter.com/Deve_Dy/status/1656170794089578496

EDIT: what the hell do i have to do to get this to embed

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ninjewtsu posted:

that's funny, but here's a comparison i found fairly intriguin:

https://twitter.com/Deve_Dy/status/1656170794089578496?t=ETM0GOKnNw1UvR86Sl3Ugg&s=19

EDIT: what the hell do i have to do to get this to embed

Don't trust blond haired jerks in suits.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It looks like Crunchyroll has added Zeta to their catalog.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

who cares if they dont have the original op

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/180223/status/1656317482402209793?t=17HGE2fX0wWzX4yjr68onw&s=19

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Stairmaster posted:

who cares if they dont have the original op

I care. I believe in the sign of Zeta even if Neil Sedaka's lawyers don't.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

This was the intention of the post. Comma should've been used

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Arc Hammer posted:

Are Funimation and Crunchyroll gonna actually merge anytime soon?

Was watching Zeta on Funi and a few months ago it looked like they were almost cleanly splitting the Gundam content between the two platforms

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's a process because rights have to be renegotiated I think.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I'm one of those crazy people who actually prefers Zeta with the orchestral opening.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I don't like OP1 that much but it's the principle of the thing, I guess. Though I think if you want the best visual quality you're stuck with the version that lacks the original OP/EDs anyway, even going :filez:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Arc Hammer posted:

i don't have crunchyroll so somebody tell me if they have the original OP/ED

Bloody Pom posted:

I'm one of those crazy people who actually prefers Zeta with the orchestral opening.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I like the orchestral, but Z Toki Wo Koete is an all time banger.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

TenementFunster posted:

i don't have crunchyroll so somebody tell me if they have the original OP/ED

I don't think any release in the last couple decades period has had the original

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Bloody Pom posted:

:respek: same

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i do too but that's because 1. it's what i'm used to and 2. Mobile Suits is such a banger song

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't think any release in the last couple decades period has had the original
Western releases, sure, but the zeta OPs and ED have on spotify since 2020, so i was hoping Crunchyroll would do the needful here

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd like Crunchyroll to do cool things too but I'd never count on it or even hope for it because that way lies disappointment

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You underestimate how loving difficult the record industry can be regarding copyright

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh I don't underestimate it one bit. I might want things but they're impossible to get legally with how hosed up copyright is.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Bloody Pom posted:

:same:

I actually like the original OP song just fine, but I think the orchestral one fits the imagery better.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What about an orchestral version of the original OP performed by London Symphony Orchestra?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q47RlaJJgnw

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I like the second Zeta OP so much more than the 1st OP so I'm skipping the 1st OP in my rewatch. I forgot just how frequently Kamille gets slapped in the first 4 episodes too.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I'm not as sure about the "can largely be attributed to" there, since it was the most profitable (half) year that Gundam ever had even before Witch was ever released beyond the preview episode. In fact, the model kit sales were "only" 400 million yen better for the back half (with Witch kits) than they were in the front half (without), and kits made up less than half of Gundam's sales worldwide.

Numbers are all there in black and white. Witch seems to have boosted Gunpla sales even more than Bandai expected back in January, and HG Aerial is a crazy success, but the whole brand was overperforming dramatically.

I'm kind of curious where the bulk of the IP sales come from, honestly. I suspect that gacha games make up a bigger chunk of the cash than is healthy (Dragon Ball making much more than Gundam in total while selling far less merch encourages that theory) but even the detailed data doesn't go that deep into the weeds.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Waffleman_ posted:

You underestimate how loving difficult the record industry can be regarding copyright
there is no rights dispute anymore, like there was in 2008 with the Bandai US DVD boxset. the OPs and ED have been licensed in the United States since at least 2019 by Sunrise Music, who is owned by Bandai-Namco. the original OPs/ED were missing from the earlier US releases as they didn't have an official US licensee due to all three songs being tied up with Neil Sedaka's label/estate [e: wait what the gently caress Neil Sedaka is still alive?]. today, all Crunchyroll has to do is write Bandai-Namco a slightly larger check, as Bandai-Namco subsidiaries now own the US rights to the series as well as all the music that appears in the show

would somebody with CR Premium just click this link and free me from this prison of unknowing?

Arc Hammer posted:

What about an orchestral version of the original OP performed by London Symphony Orchestra?
leave it to the perfidious "british" to commit this absolute affront to Mami Ayukawa Appreciators across the globe

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 08:12 on May 11, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

TenementFunster posted:

leave it to the perfidious "british" to commit this absolute affront to Mami Ayukawa Appreciators across the globe

I think you'll find its good actually and Toshihiko Sahashi was the composer so the orchestra was just the tools.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I like the second Zeta OP so much more than the 1st OP so I'm skipping the 1st OP in my rewatch. I forgot just how frequently Kamille gets slapped in the first 4 episodes too.

Second OP is one of the best OPs in Gundam history, IMO. First one is catchy enough but nothing special.

Also just wanna share another orchestrated Gundam song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXOZHLPULxU
[video type=""]On the opposite end, I've fallen in love with these video game remixes of these Wing songs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLnG_mwD_ac

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 12:38 on May 11, 2023

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

TenementFunster posted:

there is no rights dispute anymore, like there was in 2008 with the Bandai US DVD boxset. the OPs and ED have been licensed in the United States since at least 2019 by Sunrise Music, who is owned by Bandai-Namco. the original OPs/ED were missing from the earlier US releases as they didn't have an official US licensee due to all three songs being tied up with Neil Sedaka's label/estate [e: wait what the gently caress Neil Sedaka is still alive?]. today, all Crunchyroll has to do is write Bandai-Namco a slightly larger check, as Bandai-Namco subsidiaries now own the US rights to the series as well as all the music that appears in the show

would somebody with CR Premium just click this link and free me from this prison of unknowing?

This is still a case where they'd have to do extra licensing work, because the 2016 English release of Zeta did not have the original songs. Understandably, CR only bothered to work out rights to stream that existing version as-is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
They also don't have the song in SRW still so clearly there are some additional hurdles