Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Seattle is getting warmed up for a counter punch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

And even if they don't Seattle can still count a series win in that arena before the Wild's last one, so it's not so bad.

Edit: Two, actually.

DOOMocrat fucked around with this message at 06:58 on May 10, 2023

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Pungry posted:

Will we ever know what goaltender interference is? No. The answer is no.

https://twitter.com/EmeraldCityHky/status/1656156223170039814?t=FQa1dmmPX7XYI6Yyoo52TQ&s=19

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Please account for the obvious bias of being a fan of the other team here, but the decision made was; did the initial contact by Benn interfere with the stop, it was ruled no. Was there a plausible argument the second contact was initiated by the push off of the Seattle defender, they ruled yes. So, call on the ice stands.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I mean to me the call was pretty obvious, McCann and the Kraken are just being babies about it because that's what some teams do in the playoffs (see Wild; Minnesota)

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1656134759171407872

There are several arguments for why this isn't goalie interference:

1. The initial contact where Benn bumped into Grubauer was fairly marginal, and Grubauer did that weird little hop across the crease on his own volition.. I have a hard time imagining anyone arguing that Benn's rubbing up against Grubauer and then moving his stick into position to try and tip the puck on the expected shot caused Grubauer to fly through the air like that. If someone believed that Grubauer was trying to "sell" the contact more than actually being interfered with that would be enough to uphold the goal.

2. Grubauer had several seconds to re-set himself and face the shot free from any interference from Benn. This would also be enough to uphold the goal - at the point he gets re-set anything that happened before is irrelevant based on the rules.

3. The subsequent contact around the time of the shot occurs well outside the crease as Benn is shoved towards Grubauer, and Benn makes a pretty reasonable effort to jump away from Grubauer and avoid contact. Grubauer appears to actually initiate the contact inasmuch as the contact would not have happened with Benn's trajectory if Grubauer had not moved his glove forward in front of his body. The location of the contact (probably a foot outside the crease), Benn being shoved towards Grubauer by Soucy, and the goaltender initiating the contact outside of the crease all cut against this being considered goaltender interference.

Like.. this was nowhere near an actual controversial GI call in my opinion, of which I have seen more than a few.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
If that's called interference on the ice there is zero controversy, nobody bats an eye. People twisting themselves in knots after it goes to review. He literally gets knocked out of the crease and never makes it back into the crease before the goal goes in!
He hopped awkwardly but that's under not overselling. He should have just fallen down, that would have actually forced them to call it.
The announcer is there calling that gru initiating contact is pure gaslighting. Of course he puts his arm out to brace against the guy running into him.
Absolutely bananas 2 goal swing on that call that Dallas probably didn't even need to win. But the game should have been a lot closer.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

He went further right than he was pushed to draw the call and got bit. I'm not even saying Grubauer shouldn't have done that. The second Benn felt Soucy tap him he went further into a screen because he's got a decade plus of being a poo poo like that. I don't think anyone's being gaslit, I think he gambled and lost.

It can cost you a game; it cost the Stars a 2nd round match up with St. Louis in some respects. But at the time given the shot and shot attempt advantage, I don't think this cost Seattle much in this particular game.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Grubauer’s little hop was hilarious. He had plenty of time to get back into the crease. Benn got shoved into him right before the puck went in.

Seems pretty clear that it wasn’t interference that caused Grubauer to let that one through.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 13:04 on May 10, 2023

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Lol that's absolutely not interference. He resets himself after the initial contact and soucy pushes Benn who at the very least looks like he's trying to avoid grubauer.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That’s a flop and should have been 3 goals.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fawning deference posted:

Should've gone with Blackwood

Stop it. But they should have stayed with Schmid.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Starsfan posted:

I mean to me the call was pretty obvious, McCann and the Kraken are just being babies about it because that's what some teams do in the playoffs (see Wild; Minnesota)

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1656134759171407872

1. Gru puts the glove out and 'initiates contact'
2. Contact is outside the blue paint
3. Gru throwing himself hilariously trying to buy the call isn't because of the 'contact'
4. Gru has time to reset and 'play the position' prior to the shot.

Seems pretty straight forward to me. Don't flail so much idk.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1656282855507472384

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

DancingMachine posted:

If that's called interference on the ice there is zero controversy, nobody bats an eye. People twisting themselves in knots after it goes to review. He literally gets knocked out of the crease and never makes it back into the crease before the goal goes in!
He hopped awkwardly but that's under not overselling. He should have just fallen down, that would have actually forced them to call it.
The announcer is there calling that gru initiating contact is pure gaslighting. Of course he puts his arm out to brace against the guy running into him.
Absolutely bananas 2 goal swing on that call that Dallas probably didn't even need to win. But the game should have been a lot closer.

lol just because you think someone said a wrong thing does not make it gaslighting

I like Grubby but that hop was an incredibly dumb way to sell a call. You've got to do the full Igor turtle on your back move. Maybe rip off your mask on the way down and knock the goal of the moorings for flavor.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

DancingMachine posted:

I disagree with literally every sentence here. If the goal doesn't go in it should be 2 for embellishment.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
IDK if the other Devils fans here are going to agree with me but the playoffs has kinda make me think that Bratt is expendable, especially if they need that money to sign Meier. He seems to really impact these games a lot more.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

mcmagic posted:

IDK if the other Devils fans here are going to agree with me but the playoffs has kinda make me think that Bratt is expendable, especially if they need that money to sign Meier. He seems to really impact these games a lot more.

You sure that's not small sample size? In the first round, seemed like mostly devils fans were prodding Meier wondering when he was going to do something?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I don't think the Devils need to choose. They have tons of cap room this offseason and then the cap will jump a bunch after next season.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

tarbrush posted:

You sure that's not small sample size? In the first round, seemed like mostly devils fans were prodding Meier wondering when he was going to do something?

He played really good in the first series and had some pretty bad puck luck.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I don't think the Devils need to choose. They have tons of cap room this offseason and then the cap will jump a bunch after next season.

I guess I'm just questioning if Bratt is actually worth 8-9MM.....

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

tarbrush posted:

Timo was and is getting shots but just not scoring.

Bratt you notice getting zone entries with speed sometimes, but not much else otherwise.

They do also have 2.8 and 4.8% shooting percentages in the playoffs respectively which is not trivial, but that's how it goes sometimes I guess.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Eh it's panicking to say Bratt might.not be worth it just because he hasn't been that effective in his first playoff series ever. He is an elite two way winger and those don't just grow on trees. If they can extend Bratt and Meier to $8.5-9m contracts, they should.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

They have Hughes on a steal of a contract now sign and keep as much talent as possible. If you trade Bratt or let him walk youare worse full stop. The cap isn't an issue for them.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

They have Hughes on a steal of a contract now sign and keep as much talent as possible. If you trade Bratt or let him walk youare worse full stop. The cap isn't an issue for them.

Hischier is also on a huge steal of a contract.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Considering pretty much no forward for the Devils has even matched their regular season output this playoffs, it's probably not fair to single out any one guy. They just seem like a young team learning the hard way that the playoffs are a different beast from November games. They'll be better next year.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
If New Jersey gets a league average goalie in the next 2-4 years they’re winning the cup lol.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Duckman2008 posted:

If New Jersey gets a league average goalie in the next 2-4 years they’re winning the cup lol.

Think they'll try and make a play for Hellebuyck?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

ThinkTank posted:

Considering pretty much no forward for the Devils has even matched their regular season output this playoffs, it's probably not fair to single out any one guy. They just seem like a young team learning the hard way that the playoffs are a different beast from November games. They'll be better next year.

Exactly this.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Mr. Fish posted:

Think they'll try and make a play for Hellebuyck?

No, they don't have $10m.of cap space to spend on him after signing Bratt and Meier.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Duckman2008 posted:

We have this lightly scratched Robin Lehner?

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

mcmagic posted:

if I had to choose I'd take Meier, but they don't have to choose

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Someone is going to gamble on Jarry....

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Bratt has been fine.

https://twitter.com/CJTDevil/status/1654916055431618561/photo/1

You sign them both and continue to build the bottom 6 depth and integrate Luke/Nemec.

And hope Schmid is the real deal in the future + continue to search far and wide for any edge in net.

Carolina certainly deserves to be winning this series but the Devils are getting historically bad goaltending, that's the main thing management should be taking away from this. Vanecek is a -7.6 in 4 games! Like he has been almost as bad as Shesterkin was good in 3 less games, incredible.

e: Vanecek is -13.6 career GSAA over like 7 career playoff games, absolute insanity. Even Meltdown mode MAF can't touch those numbers.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 10, 2023

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Vitek has been flat out bad. It's amusing the take away from the Devils one win was that giving up 4 was worth rewarding him with another start and not 'good thing we scored 8 because wow we still gave up 4'.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Schmid has shown he can win a playoff round. Rangers exposed him in Game 5, he came back and shut them out twice. He was good in this round Game 1 but he was left out to dry. Game 2 he got rattled and Ruff wrongly went with Vanecek instead of letting Schmid get through it.

I think the real problem has been Vanecek, and had Schmid been in net yesterday, the game may have gone differently imo.

fawning deference fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 10, 2023

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Also I kind of want them to let Graves walk but re-sign Severson. I know they can't afford him but man, the skating on the back end with Severson-Hughes full-time. You'd have Marino and Siegenthaler as your shutdown guys, Dougie of course, and Bahl has good promise. You can give Nemec reps too. I think that D wouldn't miss a beat.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It's really between him and all the other forwards who might become available in the next few years who you can give 8-9MM to though. They might be able to get someone in the top 6 who sets them up better to win in the playoffs.

fawning deference posted:

Schmid has shown he can win a playoff round. Rangers exposed him in Game 5, he came back and shut them out twice. He was good in this round Game 1 but he was left out to dry. Game 2 he got rattled and Ruff wrongly went with Vanecek instead of letting Schmid get through it.

I think the real problem has been Vanecek, and had Schmid been in net yesterday, the game may have gone differently imo.

I would be mildly surprised if they don't run back Vanecek and Schmid next season.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I don't see any point in bringing back Graves with how well Bahl has played. If they don't think Nemec is ready they need to find someone on the right side though. I don't see Severson coming back. He's going to get paid and he has basically said he wants to play more (and he deserves to, he's not a 3rd pair d-man). He'll get his 5m-6m+ and a top 4 slot from someone.

Personally I'd try to sign a cheap RH plug who isn't a complete disaster on a short term deal and give Nemec every chance to win the job.

But considering the Devils are like, playing playoff hockey: I have no idea what Ruff does in goal or with the lineup tomorrow. It's going to be Blackwood or Schmid but who knows which. Graves gets back in I'd assume, probably with 7D?

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 10, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

T-Bone posted:

I don't see any point in bringing back Graves with how well Bahl has played. If they don't think Nemec is ready they need to find someone on the right side though. I don't see Severson coming back. He's going to get paid and he has basically said he wants to play more (and he deserves to, he's not a 3rd pair d-man). He'll get his 5m-6m+ and a top 4 slot from someone.

Personally I'd try to sign a cheap RH plug who isn't a complete disaster on a short term deal and give Nemec every chance to win the job.

Yeah it makes no sense to lock up Graves or Severson longterm with all these young Dmen they have a steady stream of. Bahl is going to be pretty much as good as Graves next year for like 1/8 the cost.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

tarbrush posted:

We have this lightly scratched Robin Lehner?

We will even throw some free snakes into the trade I'm told!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

mcmagic posted:

It's really between him and all the other forwards who might become available in the next few years who you can give 8-9MM to though. They might be able to get someone in the top 6 who sets them up better to win in the playoffs.

To say they can't win in the playoffs with Bratt because his very first playoff season as a young player hasn't been great is kind of absurd though. Bratt is a player that doesn't become available often in the league considering his age, skillset, and ability to also play very good defensively. He's a player you don't think twice about locking up while your window to win has just opened.

Same with Meier. Players like him are few and far between in the league. He's 26 and brings a lot of elements that the team desperately needs.