Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

we stay silly :3c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

its so easy to crack open the deck i might shell out for the hall effect sensors too

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

alexandriao posted:

its so easy to crack open the deck i might shell out for the hall effect sensors too

The type 2 should be out soon and those are going to be a breeze to install definitely recommend upgrading for them.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Invalid Validation posted:

Are there any cool deck mods I can do? There’s no way to put a better battery in it at this point is there?

Not really that I know of. Just use a battery pack if you want more life.

Mods I think could be neat:
SSD upgrade
Hall effect sticks from Gulikit
back plate and the rear button swap (different size/profile)
skins?

People are doing all sorts of stuff, there's tons of dumb products and poo poo you can buy for it depending on what you're looking for.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

trizzNPH posted:

Anyone been able to stabilize Death Stranding DC's erratic frame dips w/ a particular proton build/swapfile fuckery/etc.?

You're running the Steam version I assume? Guess I won't bother trying the Epic one, if yours has problems that's got more.

Chin Strap posted:

A call for anyone that has a cool controller config for a game that is above and beyond like "remap these two buttons to also be L4 and R4": Please share yours to community configs. It is a big help to those after you, even if you don't spend a lot of time polishing the description (although anything in the description about the logic helps like "Left Pad: Radial for main sub menus. Right Pad: Mouse with slight gyro for precise point and click" would be amazing)

It's hard unless you really try. I couldn't get to the old menu to save a config yesterday. I even posted here on how to get to that, but I've forgotten. It should be way easier to name and export a config from the regular steam input menu in gaming mode.

I've made forays into the gamers with physical disabilities forums because I thought they'd have a better handle on all this, and maybe a database with controller profiles that meet certain needs. As far as I can tell there is no curated collection of controller profiles for any purpose. Steam Input is a fantastic system but it needs just a tiny little bit more support in a few ways.

I posted before about getting Konsole in gaming mode. I just tried it and it opens a tiny unusable window. Is there a way to autodetect resolution and fill screen when launching in gaming mode? You also can't win+arrow or alt-f to mess with the window, is there a hotkey to allow such input, like shift allows ctrl-C as copy, which also reboots my Deck btw. If I could launch fullscreen and disable the software keyboard, which comes up when I don't want it and is glitchy, that would be wonderful. Anybody know?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Mescal posted:

I posted before about getting Konsole in gaming mode. I just tried it and it opens a tiny unusable window. Is there a way to autodetect resolution and fill screen when launching in gaming mode?

Properties > Game Resolution > Native / whatever size you want

Mescal posted:

You also can't win+arrow or alt-f to mess with the window, is there a hotkey to allow such input, like shift allows ctrl-C as copy, which also reboots my Deck btw. If I could launch fullscreen and disable the software keyboard, which comes up when I don't want it and is glitchy, that would be wonderful. Anybody know?

Control-C is not Copy within Konsole, it's "End running task". You might like to check out the handbook :) https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/konsole/konsole/index.html

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

alexandriao posted:

Control-C is not Copy within Konsole, it's "End running task".

they crazy for this one

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

alexandriao posted:

Control-C is not Copy within Konsole, it's "End running task".

I know. That's why I said "shift allows ctrl-C as copy." But thanks for your info, and my answer for the goofy keyboard is to disable steam overlay for the app (In Properties -> General) if you're doing the same thing I'm doing. No use for the overlay anyhow.

edit: I spoke too soon. Not seeing disable overlay in properties-general yet for konsole. Only reference to overlay on this site is no-browser but there's no no-overlay listed. no-browser should work for the purposes of Konsole in gaming mode, though.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

they crazy for this one

Pretty sure SIGINT got here first.

Mescal fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 10, 2023

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

ROMs on a Samba / SMB share of the home NAS instead of the SD card.

Mount it normally:
code:
sudo mount -t cifs //serverIP/share /home/deck/FolderThatExists --verbose -o user=TheUsername
Prompts for a password, then works great. Back to Gaming Mode, RetroArch can open them just fine. No noticeable difference loading a SNES game and my home network wireless sucks. Linux purists probably cringe at the mount point but idc.

To get it to map the drive on startup, first add a line to /etc/fstab. This may be slightly different depending on your server or NAS - I did not have to specify Samba version.
code:
//serverIP/share    /home/deck/FolderThatExists       cifs    uid=0,credentials=/home/deck/.SMBcreds,iocharset=utf8,noperm 0 0
.SMBcreds contains
code:
user=TheUsername
password=ThePassword
domain=TheDomain
Try sudo mount -a to see if it works. SteamOS will try to mount it before the wifi connects, which is no good. To fix that I did these two commands, and I'm not sure which was correct:
code:
systemctl enable systemd-networkd-wait-online.service
systemctl enable NetworkManager-wait-online.service
Works perfectly, but seems to have added a couple seconds to cold boot time. SMB is my favorite way to ferry files to the Deck now that mounting is automatic. I would not use this for ISOs or Steam game installs, and I'll have to see how N64 ROMs are. I don't use Steam ROM manager, but I suppose you could point it at the folder after mounted or use a symlink.
My home NAS is not exposed to the internet, so I still keep a folder of curated ROMs on the Deck for travel. I have been trying to get a free-tier Oracle Cloud instance since November for a global ROM repository, but they are always booked solid and you have to use a script to mash the create instance button. I give it another try every couple weeks but it hasn't worked for me yet :rant:

Now to see if the next system update wipes /etc/fstab...

Edit: thanks!

lordfrikk posted:

Putting Samba shares to your /etc/fstab will make the Deck hang on boot if the shares are unavailable for whatever reason. See https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Fstab#External_devices for more info.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 12, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Got my replacement for the spicy deck today. I will say, they got that RMA turned around quick.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Got my replacement for the spicy deck today. I will say, they got that RMA turned around quick.

in all seriousness Im glad that you or a loved one didnt get injured

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."

Suburban Dad posted:

Not really that I know of. Just use a battery pack if you want more life.

Mods I think could be neat:
SSD upgrade
Hall effect sticks from Gulikit
back plate and the rear button swap (different size/profile)
skins?

People are doing all sorts of stuff, there's tons of dumb products and poo poo you can buy for it depending on what you're looking for.

I just really want quieter cooling. Playing anything demanding on the deck in bed is loud enough that I feel self conscious next to my partner.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Beve Stuscemi posted:

how many hours was it :laugh:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

negativeneil posted:

I just really want quieter cooling. Playing anything demanding on the deck in bed is loud enough that I feel self conscious next to my partner.

my fan is pretty silent and i dont notice it, maybe it's an issue with the fan being clogged or yours isnt seated on the ball bearings properly?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

alexandriao posted:

how many hours was it :laugh:

I didn’t count because they were communicative through the whole rma and set expectations of when things would happen.

Simple subtraction isn’t that hard though, should you ever find yourself in a situation where you need it.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
Maybe? I don't notice it unless I'm playing something that maxes out the GPU. It's about as loud as my MacBook fan, it's just that my face is inches away from it in bed. That said, there's no vibration I can feel from the deck so I'm assuming it's seated properly. In environments with ambient noise, it's not a problem.

The way I've counterbalanced for now is by optimizing my Sunshine/Moonlight setup so the deck is not actually doing any work. Better performance with no real noticeable drop in quality. It's pretty magical.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The pro move is to have tinnitus so bad you have to sleep with some sort of white noise anyway

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Need white noise so you don't hear your veins pumping blegh. I never want to be anywhere so quiet I can hear my own blood move.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
It's funny, I grew up in a really quiet suburb where it was super quiet at night. I moved to a city for college and it was LOUD all the time. Couldn't sleep at all at first because of how loud it was. After 5 years in the city I moved back home for a bit and the silence was nightmarish. I had to have a radio going in order to sleep

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

alexandriao posted:

I am waiting for the solder-free version they're coming out with soon.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

History Comes Inside! posted:

The pro move is to have tinnitus so bad you don’t really hear the fan noise anyway

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I tried No Man's Sky on the deck last night and yeah the fan really gets going!

Plays fantastic though, just don't know all the buttons yet.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I had gotten a battery pack that has a clip you attach to the back of the steam deck, it has enough watts to charge the deck while it's running.

Unfortunately I think the magnet it uses to attach the battery to the clip fucks with the fan, so having it conveniently stuck to the back of the deck might screw up performance if the fan can't spin. Otherwise it would be the perfect battery peripheral-more than doubling your battery life and allowing you to carry the whole thing together as one chonky Boi.

I really like the case that comes with the steam deck, but I do wish there was a little hole in the back so you could charge the deck while it's in the case itself. It would be cool to have a bespoke case+charger all built together too.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

negativeneil posted:

Turn down the TDP.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Is genshin impact a good stream deck game? I don't know how much of a pita it might be too get running and I don't know if it has his controller support

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

pretty sure it's windows only so a substantia PITA

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah but it’s also like the number one anime titty game so it probably had a dedicated team of creeps working round the clock to get it running on the deck and now works flawlessly

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

https://www.steamdeckgaming.net/post/how-to-play-genshin-impact-on-steam-deck-steam-os

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Heran Bago posted:

ROMs on a Samba / SMB share of the home NAS instead of the SD card.

Mount it normally:
code:
sudo mount -t cifs //serverIP/share /home/deck/FolderThatExists --verbose -o user=TheUsername
Prompts for a password, then works great. Back to Gaming Mode, RetroArch can open them just fine. No noticeable difference loading a SNES game and my home network wireless sucks. Linux purists probably cringe at the mount point but idc.

To get it to map the drive on startup, first add a line to /etc/fstab. This may be slightly different depending on your server or NAS - I did not have to specify Samba version.
code:
//serverIP/share    /home/deck/FolderThatExists       cifs    uid=0,credentials=/home/deck/.SMBcreds,iocharset=utf8,noperm 0 0
.SMBcreds contains
code:
user=TheUsername
password=ThePassword
domain=TheDomain
Try sudo mount -a to see if it works. SteamOS will try to mount it before the wifi connects, which is no good. To fix that I did these two commands, and I'm not sure which was correct:
code:
systemctl enable systemd-networkd-wait-online.service
systemctl enable NetworkManager-wait-online.service
Works perfectly, but seems to have added a couple seconds to cold boot time. SMB is my favorite way to ferry files to the Deck now that mounting is automatic. I would not use this for ISOs or Steam game installs, and I'll have to see how N64 ROMs are. I don't use Steam ROM manager, but I suppose you could point it at the folder after mounted or use a symlink.
My home NAS is not exposed to the internet, so I still keep a folder of curated ROMs on the Deck for travel. I have been trying to get a free-tier Oracle Cloud instance since November for a global ROM repository, but they are always booked solid and you have to use a script to mash the create instance button. I give it another try every couple weeks but it hasn't worked for me yet :rant:

Now to see if the next system update wipes /etc/fstab...

Putting Samba shares to your /etc/fstab will make the Deck hang on boot if the shares are unavailable for whatever reason. See https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Fstab#External_devices for more info.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/05/the-asus-rog-ally-runs-windows-eats-battery-and-needs-time-to-cook/

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sounds poo poo

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Gaben gives, Gaben does not take away. Competition, inferior. Deck, superior.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The thing from the company thats currently blowing up AMD processors and then denying warranties is poo poo, who knew? :iiam:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

We crammed a much more power hungry set of hardware into a device with the same size battery as the Deck and are now shocked that it has worse battery life. Also this line is very funny.

quote:

The Ally offers a frame rate limiter in its Command Center, though I had intermittent success at getting it to work.
So the software also doesn't work, truly a Windows handheld.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1656666441075286018

???? slapping an ugly ROG nameplate on an xbox elite controller and selling it for portables

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m gonna try this later but I fully expect it to break with the next update. That’s a common thing I’ve read happens.

I still pre ordered it but it sounds like all the same issues the other windows handhelds have lol

njsykora posted:

We crammed a much more power hungry set of hardware into a device with the same size battery as the Deck and are now shocked that it has worse battery life. Also this line is very funny.

Actually it looked like it got a bit better battery life his graphs were poo poo though. Of course it got like 60 min at 30 watts but at 15W it looks like it beats the deck.

I’m gonna wait for some better testing though.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 11, 2023

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its probably fine if you're okay with only playing games that already have all the controller support you need, and you mostly play it plugged in. But then you're probably also buying it to replace an Aya Neo or a GPD or something. I bet those companies are loving pissed though.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

About what I expected (although those real world benchmarks are really disappointing). It's honestly really disappointing that other manufacturers can't seem to get this right, but here's to hoping someone else will eventually come around with a decent handheld with functional trackpads and less of an obsession with numbers.

Seems like a good competitor for the other niche PC handhelds at least.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Put SteamOS on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
"Republic of Gamers"