Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Who do you think was the 24th century version of Glenn Greenwald writing profiles and articles trying to normalize Gul Dukat all the time?

The android-ist first officer that Data had to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

swickles posted:

I am now picturing a remake of Enterprise but with Sterling Archer as captain.
"Do you want Tribbles? Because this is how you get Tribbles, Cyril!"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Eighties ZomCom posted:

TOS Klingons go really heavy on the fake tan.

HD really shows how inconsistent the Kingon make-up is. Some episodes like Day of the Dove, they're so thick with boot polish they're shining. But in Tribbles, it looks like they forgot.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I too feel the Romulans never got their due, but I also kind of think that's a good thing. I hated that they made secrecy a cultural trait. Just absolutely stupid. The Obsidian Order is also good at espionage but Cardassians aren't defined as sneaky. They leaned too much into just secrecy and never really grappled with the fact that Romulans should've been humans+. They are Vulcans without inhibitions so they should be grappling with their emotions in other ways than suppression, and the TOS portrayals hit that more than later.

I do like the Tal Shiar and how in TNG we experience them loving with the Federation constantly, but makes sense because they are constantly dealing with the spy agency. It just should've been a small part of a larger whole, even if you wanted to go with the Tal Shiar secretly running society....just like the Obsidian Order.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Romulans are very weird to me because as a recent Trekkie convert I knew about Romulans, Klingons and Vulcans and was expecting a whole lot more development than there is. I was also sort of thrown off by how much Vulcan lore wasn’t filled in much until Enterprise.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Eimi posted:

I too feel the Romulans never got their due, but I also kind of think that's a good thing. I hated that they made secrecy a cultural trait. Just absolutely stupid. The Obsidian Order is also good at espionage but Cardassians aren't defined as sneaky. They leaned too much into just secrecy and never really grappled with the fact that Romulans should've been humans+. They are Vulcans without inhibitions so they should be grappling with their emotions in other ways than suppression, and the TOS portrayals hit that more than later.

I didn't mind it because it makes sense when you have a secret police running rampant protecting an authoritarian regime. Kind of like East Germany, if you have 10 friends in a room, there's a strong likelihood one of them is a voluntary secret police informant and another is a coerced secret police informant so yeah, you would just be inherently very secretive because there's so few people you can really trust.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Trixie Hardcore posted:

yeah it's brown face

I mean, if anything they got browner in TNG. But they didn't embody any brown-associated stereotypes, so like... It's bordering on uncomfortable but it ultimately just seems coincidental that they chose that color.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Also the main Klingon guy was black, so maybe they kinda worked backwards from that? I don't really see anything problematic in the TNG Klingon makeup, except maybe the women's clothing being a bit too chainmail bikini.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

From what I read, they worked forwards from the fact that they were already darkening actors' skin with the Klingon makeup (which sometimes they did it more than others, and it can even get hard to tell skintone with Star Trek's early screwy color TV technology). So later on, getting black actors to play Klingons made things easier for the makeup team. It can get pretty striking when you see some of the in and out of makeup. I think that's part of why Gowron's eyes stand out so much even.

Which there might be some interesting question in there about what it means if different real-world races provide different foundations for alien makeup. With aliens with more unnatural skintones like the Cardassians, you often don't really notice the race of the actor underneath, so there can be black actors playing Cardassians with little comment, but when black actors got hired to play makeup-light races that had previously been only white, like Vulcans, there's sometimes outcry at the difference.

Aside from the whole weird question of the Klingons, I don't think there's ever been a primarily-"black" makeup-light alien race in Star Trek like how so many other alien races are primarily depicted as white, like with Bajorans or Romulans.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
There’s the guys in Code of Honor. Probably best not to revisit that though

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

skasion posted:

I didn't realize until my rewatch that was the third loving episode of that show, after the terrible pilot and the terrible TOS ripoff episode. TNG wouldn't have had a chance in the internet era.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

zoux posted:

I didn't realize until my rewatch that was the third loving episode of that show, after the terrible pilot and the terrible TOS ripoff episode. TNG wouldn't have had a chance in the internet era.

Also written by the same person who wrote Stargate SG-1's third episode, which is woof

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

BonHair posted:

Also the main Klingon guy was black, so maybe they kinda worked backwards from that? I don't really see anything problematic in the TNG Klingon makeup, except maybe the women's clothing being a bit too chainmail bikini.
I recall they use a similar style in ST3 but I agree that having the primary Klingon character in the series played by a black man complicates a racial reading of the tone. They might have wanted to avoid implying that there was a racial hierarchy for the Klingons since Worf is a discommended outsider for so long.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think the only mixed race couples (by the actors ethnicities I mean) involve Klingons. Every other character played by a black character that has a wife or husband has one that corresponds to the actor's race. Tuvok has a black Vulcan wife, Sisko marries the only other black character on the show that isn't his son.

It always seemed kind of hosed up that they (probably correctly) assumed that audiences would have less of a problem with a white woman dating a Klingon than they would a black human.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

zoux posted:

I think the only mixed race couples (by the actors ethnicities I mean) involve Klingons. Every other character played by a black character that has a wife or husband has one that corresponds to the actor's race. Tuvok has a black Vulcan wife, Sisko marries the only other black character on the show that isn't his son.

It always seemed kind of hosed up that they (probably correctly) assumed that audiences would have less of a problem with a white woman dating a Klingon than they would a black human.

And keeping with TV tradition Harry Kim, an Asian, dates no one.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The 90s Klingon “fashion” goes back to the redesign in TMP, though I can’t think of a female version of it until the bodybuilder lieutenant Klaa is simping after in Final Frontier. The Lursa and Betor look is basically that, but with cleavage window. Only a couple years apart irl.

By contrast Chris Lloyd’s disposable mistress in Search for Spock is wearing like an evening gown.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

swickles posted:

He got space herpes from that one lady

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

zoux posted:

O'Brien :colbert:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

skasion posted:

I was never really sure if they were aliens or just another human colony that split off before the Federation was formed. They don't have any prosthetics.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

I was never really sure if they were aliens or just another human colony that split off before the Federation was formed. They don't have any prosthetics.

Previous starfleet expedition accidentally left behind a collection of Rudyard Kipling poems.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

swickles posted:

he's got a friends-with-benefits set up with the Delaney sisters

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

He also gets like 3 wives when he develops the spots.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

They were lizardman in the first draft.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like (outside of the first draft) they fit the TOS sorta mold like most of the series 1 TNG stuff
It's just other humans on weird planets.

See also the guys that wanted to sentence wesley to death

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Taear posted:

They should have tried harder.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'll confess that the only parts of Code of Honor that actually bother me are the handspikeball weapon and the jungle gym combat arena.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Sash! posted:

I'll confess that the only parts of Code of Honor that actually bother me are the handspikeball weapon and the jungle gym combat arena.

The aesthetics of it are the most racist part, it’s a pretty bland episode otherwise.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I was already complaining about this stupid looking open jacket style that Picard has going on in Season 5. Now, all of the sudden he's just walking around with the bottom of it zippered but not actually zipped all the way up? Like, the little part that's zippered at the bottom is just hanging there while the rest is open exposing his nondescript gray t shirt. Disgraceful.

He's wearing it kinda like this but with the zipper even a bit lower down.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 10, 2023

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Taear posted:

They weren't human.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Full TNG HD restoration with all instances of Picard's suede jacket replaced with the jacket from Drive

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Basebf555 posted:

I was already complaining about this stupid looking open jacket style that Picard has going on in Season 5. Now, all of the sudden he's just walking around with the bottom of it zippered but not actually zipped all the way up? Like, the little part that's zippered at the bottom is just hanging there while the rest is open exposing his nondescript gray t shirt. Disgraceful.

100% with you on this, might as well put on jogging pants and big white sneakers underneath.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

It was the early 90s, okay? I mean, it was* the late 2360s, but that's like the space early 90s.

*(it will be the late 2360s? it will have been the late 2360s? it was will be being have been the late 2360s?)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

bennyfactor posted:

*(it will be the late 2360s? it will have been the late 2360s? it was will be being have been the late 2360s?)

wioll haven be

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

skasion posted:

The 90s Klingon “fashion” goes back to the redesign in TMP, though I can’t think of a female version of it until the bodybuilder lieutenant Klaa is simping after in Final Frontier. The Lursa and Betor look is basically that, but with cleavage window. Only a couple years apart irl.

By contrast Chris Lloyd’s disposable mistress in Search for Spock is wearing like an evening gown.

I always dug Azetbur's chainmail shoulderpads in Undiscovered Country.

Fighting Trousers fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 10, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That Klingon dinner scene is such a banger

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
brb making a batch of blue spaghetti

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

zoux posted:

That Klingon dinner scene is such a banger

Sure, if you like non-sequitur dialogue and everyone acting out of character.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Earth, Hitler, 1933 posted:

Sure, if you like non-sequitur dialogue and everyone acting out of character.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I always thought they should have done more with the idea of non-Federation human colonies. They pop up now and then, but it'd be neat if there was a rival human nation of some size out there. Would have made more sense than the Maquis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I always thought the Maquis made sense. They're exactly the sort of people who would leave post scarcity paradise to go be dirt farmers on some untamed planet. The weird part was why Starfleet officers defected in droves to them.