Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i did look up the ending on youtube after finding out i just couldn't actually progress to the ending and it's insanely funny how the game just ends with you finding the singer, silka, you've spent the last five hours looking for and then she's like "no you can't take me out of here. you see i'm a singer robot and the automata of the old city activated to drag me back here. if you want to save the world you have to press that button and turn me off. it's ok i've accepted my fate." and then keiji presses the button and walks out and silka's songwriter just loving says "i guess silka got to be in the place she belonged in the end..."

yeah bitch. that's right. you belong, being dead in the weird depressing ruined old city far away from your only friend. you do not deserve to live life among others and be happy. the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is it at all concerning that Nintendo's page for front mission 2 still hasn't updated to allow pre ordering almost a month from release?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kingtheninja posted:

Is it at all concerning that Nintendo's page for front mission 2 still hasn't updated to allow pre ordering almost a month from release?

Square-Enix is the publisher, so not really. I can't even remember if Front Mission 1 Remake was ever up for pre-order.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

I said come in! posted:

Square-Enix is the publisher, so not really. I can't even remember if Front Mission 1 Remake was ever up for pre-order.

I think you could preload it close to release but my memory is failing me.

In any case I think it took a while before you could actually purchase the game tho.

Also the official discord just mentioned they started shipping physical copies so

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 10, 2023

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kingtheninja posted:

Nah there's a lot of games that come out on time that you can't preorder.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Srice posted:

Nah there's a lot of games that come out on time that you can't preorder.

Well poo poo, my birthday discount ends at the end of May and I was hoping to use it on that. Ah well.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Colonel posted:

i did look up the ending on youtube after finding out i just couldn't actually progress to the ending and it's insanely funny how the game just ends with you finding the singer, silka, you've spent the last five hours looking for and then she's like "no you can't take me out of here. you see i'm a singer robot and the automata of the old city activated to drag me back here. if you want to save the world you have to press that button and turn me off. it's ok i've accepted my fate." and then keiji presses the button and walks out and silka's songwriter just loving says "i guess silka got to be in the place she belonged in the end..."

yeah bitch. that's right. you belong, being dead in the weird depressing ruined old city far away from your only friend. you do not deserve to live life among others and be happy. the end

Love* when people completely botch this narrative concept. Definitely not skipping this game now.

*Do not love

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
have fun, playing the single worst roguelike i've ever experienced. make sure to speedrun to the first tower after you rescue lili because if you don't get the first fragment of song you are permanently hosed and jb is racing you to them like a psychopath (note: reaching towers requires you to get hint drops that are pure rng)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
fox junction is exactly the kind of kusoge you can only get from genuinely passionate developers who do not realize how utterly insane their ideas are. it looks beautiful and has great music and every aspect of its design is constructed purely to crush your soul by making you run through the same environments 3000 times like you're playing lsd dream emulator with awful combat. you cant even enjoy the atmosphere that much cause the enemies are so annoying to deal with and you constantly have to pause to manage your inventory and whenever you pause it stops the music to make you listen to the worst menu theme ever

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oh its a roguelike? Oh no, no never thank you.

After having looked at the footage I think I can brew up a ResetEra post where I claim Sony Santa Monica got the inspiration to offset the character from the camera from this game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
decided to check out a bit of the first jinguuji saburou game kazushige nojima wrote and the first thing that happens in it is jinguuji saburou has a nightmare about his friend murdering him with a poisoned cigarette and then he wakes up holding a half-empty bottle of sake

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
immediately after this he passes out from a hangover in the passenger seat of his assistant's car and she gets so pissed off at him over it she starts blasting heavy metal to wake him up. this game owns

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

How’s the gameplay?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBNghoYO5Yw

you know what? neat, i appreciate the exact budget this looks like it has

I said come in! posted:

They aren't the publisher, Forever Entertainment is, SE's name is barely on the FM remakes at all

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Jay Rust posted:

How’s the gameplay?

it's a famicom adventure game so about what you expect. you pick options on a menu to interact with stuff. it seems easier than the first two games, Shinjuku Central Square Murder Case and Yokohama Serial Murder Case, since those were known for having a time limit system where every action you perform uses up a bit of time on the clock. from what i can tell this famicom disc duology, The Dangerous Pair, doesn't have anything like that, according to wikipedia they retired that from here until the seventh game. you do have a dedicated button for taking a smoke though

he also wrote the fourth game, While Killing Time, so if i ever give these games a deeper look i'll definitely give all his entries a look.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 11, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
shout out to how awesome the boxart for all these old jinguuji saburo games is though, every one of these is gorgeous

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
will admit though that before looking at the actual kanji on the title i thought "mikan no report" was about some mysterious case related to mikan oranges. and not. 未完

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The Colonel posted:

shout out to how awesome the boxart for all these old jinguuji saburo games is though, every one of these is gorgeous

Those are amazing, and gives me big Tex Murphy vibes

I mean, mostly cause they're sort of future noir-y, but that's definitely not a bad thing for me

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
detective adventure games.... yay!!!!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

detective adventure games.... yay!!!!

This but unironically, I absolutely love detective games

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
claiming me... the OP of the mystery and detective thread... would be ironic in writing that post... the gall!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

claiming me... the OP of the mystery and detective thread... would be ironic in writing that post... the gall!

I didn't realize! I'm glad we can agree that mystery and detective games rule :hai:

also can I get a link to it :shobon:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

The Colonel posted:

i'm one of the three Jake Hunter DS fans and i wish this series would get translated more

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I played that prequel thing they did and it wasn't great tbh

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I only played the first DS compilation (and enjoyed it a lot) but I've had Golden Jazz installed for years and never booted it lol

on the other hand "This is Yulia Marks, my assistant. She's fluent in six languages, incredibly perceptive and FILLED WITH DELICIOUS NOUGAT" lives on in my head forever

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I didn't realize! I'm glad we can agree that mystery and detective games rule :hai:

also can I get a link to it :shobon:

sure thing detective 🫡

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lol base Fuga 2 + deluxe upgrade pack is cheaper than just buying the Deluxe version on PSN here.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sakurazuka posted:

I played that prequel thing they did and it wasn't great tbh

the series seems like it kinda fell off in recent years, it's changed hands a few times and the data east era kinda had a flair to it that the workjam games on ps2 and ds did an okay job maintaining but under arcsys the past few years it just seems like it got really cheap and janky. daedalus came out after prism of eyes and then following prism of eyes they did... this really weird insanely long episodic thing? that i cant tell if it was a sequel or just, individual digital releases of every chapter of prism of eyes. and now it's been dead for three years since then

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 14:45 on May 11, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I hope everyone is enjoying the highly-anticipated sequel that drops today: Fuga: Melodies of Steel 2

(i'm playing it, it's more Fuga, if you liked Fuga I'm guessing you'll like this)

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

The Colonel posted:

Oh hey Jinguji Saburo, I love this series. Been playing through the PS1 games recently which I picked up a while back. I'm currently on the 3rd(?) case in Tomoshibi ga Kienu ma ni which revolves around investigating a small-scale handgun smuggling ring in Shinjuku. When you live in a hellscape where mass shootings happen on a daily basis, it feels kind of unreal to play a plotline where police and yakuza alike are flipping the gently caress out over a handful of guns being somewhere on their turf.

Also Saburo is gonna die of lung cancer before he hits 40. I love how the "light up a cig" command which appears everywhere is the equivalent of "give me a hint/what should I do next."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I hope everyone is enjoying the highly-anticipated sequel that drops today: Fuga: Melodies of Steel 2

(i'm playing it, it's more Fuga, if you liked Fuga I'm guessing you'll like this)

Seens even more depressing so far!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i've been wantign to replay the silver case but i think i might save that for after i've played some contemporary detective stuff like jinguuji saburo so i can get a deeper context for how weird it is how that game starts off as a vaguely normal detective adventure game before it goes off the rails

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I always thought it was a shame that detective/mystery games didn't seem to take off outside Japan the same way back in the day.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
half of the untranslated japanese adventure games in existence are eroge. but what nobody will tell you, is that 1/4 of the untranslated japanese adventure games are detective mysteries. some of them are also eroge

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What's the crossover like?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

mysteriously horny I have to imagine

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sakurazuka posted:

sometimes they get to do kind of neat stuff but i'm not gonna lie it was a little insane when mikagura shoujo tanteidan went from a set of stylish ps1 games about girls solving mysteries to having an erotic pc game and an ova where the cover is just them with no clothes on

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
poirot eroge

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Live a Live: Probably the one thing nobody likes is the combat. it's too fragile and the last chapter is a complete grind having too much of it. If a character gets knocked out on a tile with an elemental effect then they are already dead with no way to revive them. The turn-based tactic hybrid combat really doesn't work beyond the surface level. Whats the point of action bars if the enemy's always max out in tandem anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The Colonel posted:

half of the untranslated japanese adventure games in existence are eroge. but what nobody will tell you, is that 1/4 of the untranslated japanese adventure games are detective mysteries. some of them are also eroge

Does Eve/Adam count for both?