Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

wasn't that guys whole schtick minting spacs?

here's a short summary i found online from a few days ago:

quote:

Virgin Galactic Holdings SPCE was originally IPOA. Since its first trade in 2019, the space plane company stock is down 70%, opening May 2 at about $3.50/share. A sister company, Virgin Orbit, has collapsed, and Galactic is still conducting pre-revenue tests.

OpenDoor Technologies OPEN was originally IPOB. It was formed as an online real estate marketplace. Since its first trade in late 2020 it’s down 94%, after a failed effort at flipping the houses it was listing. It recently cut 22% of its workforce and opened May 2 at $1.39/share.

Clover Health CLOV was originally IPOC. The company, which offers Medicare Advantage plans, is down 95% since it came public in early 2021. Its last trade was at 75 cents per share. While I have praised Clover Assistant, its tablet-based telehealth service, I called it dead money a year ago. The company has not been profitable, and recently laid off 10% of its workers.

Social Capital Hedosophia IV (NASDAQ:IPOD) never found a merger partner and Chamath gave up on it last September. The same fate came to Social Capital Hedosophia VI (NASDAQ:IPOF) and the rest of Chamath’s alphabet soup.

SoFi Technologies SOFI was originally IPOE. Since coming public in June 2021, it’s down 70%.

However, this may be the most successful of Chamath’s SPACs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

in the old stock thread, I mentioned buying puts on $open way back in march 2021. more recently I made money on $sofi puts. felt good to get some profits off off that grifter, my only regret is not buying more puts on anything he touched

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

pmchem posted:

in the old stock thread, I mentioned buying puts on $open way back in march 2021. more recently I made money on $sofi puts. felt good to get some profits off off that grifter, my only regret is not buying more puts on anything he touched

I still think of your posts when I read about SoFi :3:

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Chamath SPACs were generally great as long as you didn't hold the resulting companies long term

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Splinter posted:

Chamath SPACs were generally great as long as you didn't hold the resulting companies long term

Yes, I either made money or broke even on Chamath's crap because I always sold pre-merger, as I always preached in my SPAC thread. :rip:

ARTPUP
Jun 7, 2013

Bought another 2868 shares of Mereo BioPharma (MREO) @ $1.15/share today. Tossing my chips at the roulette table...

Finished the book "American Made" by Farah Stockman, telling the story of three workers at a US bearing factory who lose their jobs as the company closes and ships to Mexico. Quite good. Wonder why your bearings don't last as long as they used to? Here's your answer. Amazing how a company (Link-Belt) can screw things up so quickly and now that knowledge is gone for good.

Hindenburg research sent a shot across the bow of Carl Icahn's Icahn Enterprises (IEP) with it's latest report. Boom! Sent them a message regarding Vinco Ventures (BBIG) so fingers crossed...

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

FistEnergy posted:

Yes, I either made money or broke even on Chamath's crap because I always sold pre-merger, as I always preached in my SPAC thread. :rip:

Did FINRA or the FTC ever close the spac loophole, or is it simply too decrepit a strategy now

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Seagate STX seems like a nice beaten down stock to have in the portfolio if I'm betting that tech rides back some in the future, though I'm unsure if we're at a good entry point yet. If you look at the last two years as Pandemic_Bubble.jpeg that should be ignored, then maybe the price is still too high.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Everyone and their mom makes ssd/solid state... Stuff. Most (all?) of this tech stops storing information if turned off for more than a year (numbers vary wildly) but seems useful for consumer stuff or servers that are in regular use, or at least on

Seagate's economic moat is they make old school rotational hard drives, used by almost nobody but archival types and cloud providers, is a pretty flat growth market and just waiting for someone to develop a more durable flash memory so they can die

With this information in hand, what makes you think this dying industry is a growth market? I'm having trouble which I dislike more as an investment vehicle: Intel or Seagate

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Seagate is gonna sell an assload of those 30TB drives to cloud providers. It's all about how many terabytes you can fit in a square foot.

Also, you might not feel great about this, but a lot of drives are going to governments. All that video footage goes on hard drives. Surveillance is one of the main verticals. Just have to dodge more monster fines for violating sanctions.

They are also very committed to running the company as a cash machine. That dividend seems pretty firm. And at some point they want to make the jump into SSD. You're right that long term prospects for mechanical hard drives aren't great. They do have a small share in kioxia. Getting the timing right to increase position is going to be very tough.

People still use tape btw!

Dr. Jim Sadler
Jan 6, 2006

No, the fact that -you- don't wanna wear a thong is because you're still afraid of 9/11!

ARTPUP posted:

Bought another 2868 shares of Mereo BioPharma (MREO) @ $1.15/share today. Tossing my chips at the roulette table...

I’m with you at the roulette table. Though I only have 2600 shares total. Holding on for buyout or bust.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

Did FINRA or the FTC ever close the spac loophole, or is it simply too decrepit a strategy now

they changed a few rules to tighten up reporting and forward looking for statement requirements, but they didn't really shut it down. The deactivation of the money printer and several years of failed SPACs and doomed deSPACs basically took care of the issue naturally. Legitimate companies just aren't interested anymore unless they're in desperate financial straits.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Femtosecond posted:

Seagate STX seems like a nice beaten down stock to have in the portfolio if I'm betting that tech rides back some in the future, though I'm unsure if we're at a good entry point yet. If you look at the last two years as Pandemic_Bubble.jpeg that should be ignored, then maybe the price is still too high.

yikes

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Hadlock posted:

With this information in hand, what makes you think this dying industry is a growth market? I'm having trouble which I dislike more as an investment vehicle: Intel or Seagate

Tech companies and startups have been shaken by this blip of spiking interest rates but ultimately nothing fundamental has changed. The growth in the future will still come from the tech industry and the growth of cloud services. Ultimately this means that those doing well in providing the services to the cloud service providers should continue to do well at some point in the future. The question is timing.

But yea I see you in that it seems inevitable that eventually SSD drives should take over everything. Seagate you should probably be prepared for that!

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 9, 2023

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Yeeppppp

Everyone who was in growth mode, building out new data centres and buying hard drives slammed things into reverse.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Yah, that's the 300 million settlement for violating sanctions on Huawei. Hopefully a one time charge, although they are inextricably linked with china, so if things continue to go south there....

They should at least shitcan the CFO for that.

quote:

Romano told investors that he didn’t “see any particular restriction for us in terms of being able to continue to ship to Huawei or any other customers in China,” even as the company’s two main competitors in hard-drive sales ceased all trade with Huawei.

After that, Seagate signed a three-year deal with Huawei, selling approximately 7.4 million hard-disk drives without a government license to the Chinese company. In the deal, Huawei dubbed Seagate as its primary supplier (pdf), with the contact saying the the company would be given a “priority basis over other Huawei suppliers.”

Baddog
May 12, 2001
The bigger thing for me is the constant hire/fire cycles STX goes through. All the younger people and new projects get shitcanned every time they go into "protect the margins at all costs" mode, and the hatches get battened down to just "make hard drives, sell hard drives".

Maybe more for the corporate thread, but I had a call with a vendor where I outlined the initiative I was working on, and he just started laughing. "You're like the 3rd or 4th guy who has tried to get this done, good luck with that!" (and I did not succeed, lol).

They are really loving good at trimming the fat though, hah.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
A several-levels-below-the-top R&D engineer at Intel is in our wine club and is literally telling people to quit their jobs there, sell all their stock, GTFO, etc

Anecdotal as hell, but yeesh. I know a big concern with Intel is that they don't have any irons in the fire and she is incredibly bearish on their future tech

drk
Jan 16, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

A several-levels-below-the-top R&D engineer at Intel is in our wine club and is literally telling people to quit their jobs there, sell all their stock, GTFO, etc

Anecdotal as hell, but yeesh. I know a big concern with Intel is that they don't have any irons in the fire and she is incredibly bearish on their future tech

(disclaimer: INTC bagholder)

I assume that's at least partially anger about the salary/bonus cuts? Especially if she didn't quit herself.

The alternative is real close to material non-public information. Intel is quarter after quarter publicly positioning themselves as having a lot of irons in the fire - most notably reclaiming process leadership and opening up fabs to third parties.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

drk posted:

(disclaimer: INTC bagholder)

I assume that's at least partially anger about the salary/bonus cuts? Especially if she didn't quit herself.

The alternative is real close to material non-public information. Intel is quarter after quarter publicly positioning themselves as having a lot of irons in the fire - most notably reclaiming process leadership and opening up fabs to third parties.

The real shocker is that Chris's uncle works at Nintendo!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Residency Evil posted:

The real shocker is that Chris's uncle works at Nintendo!

Nintendo is very far away and they don't hire Skeletons

Intel's Geographical Location And Near Surroundings is only a quick shaft away!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Not gonna lie squinted real hard at that only to be disappointed Nintendo of America is not on the NW quadrant of Portland

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Nintendo is very far away and they don't hire Skeletons

Intel's Geographical Location And Near Surroundings is only a quick shaft away!

Couldn't afford LO, huh?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Oscar Wild posted:

Couldn't afford LO, huh?

I’m pretty sure intel has some employees of color so for obvious reasons they can operate within city limits.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Hey my GMDA. is about to erupt looks like imminent BO or partnership

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

cirus posted:

Hey my GMDA. is about to erupt looks like imminent BO or partnership

A goon pharma stock pick, what could go wrong.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
speaking of goon pharma, NDRA is stair stepping down perfectly. Down about 25% just this week.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

FistEnergy posted:

speaking of goon pharma, NDRA is stair stepping down perfectly. Down about 25% just this week.

Those fatty livers aren’t going to scan themselves

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

wynott dunn posted:

Those fatty livers aren’t going to scan themselves

Also NDRA stock crashing is making my liver less fatty. This is their downfall!

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Raised the stakes a little bit and got another 10% off of $GME today. :yotj:

Hypothesis was that at the end of every May since the squeeze a few years ago, it has a big green jump. So I figured it'd happen again... but since it only went up to 10% over the past week and coincidentally I got in at the bottom, I figured I should just take the win and go home instead of let it sit there and find out the hard way whether it'll happen again. Maybe everybody else was also expecting the same thing, so instead of profiting off the actual thing I'm just profiting off everyone else expecting it.

Will keep slowly raising the stakes until I get burned and cry

That's my post thanks for reading

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
even meme stocks must bow to the unassailable wisdom that is "sell in may and go away"

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

even meme stocks must bow to the unassailable wisdom that is "sell in may and go away"
I've never really heard a reasonable sounding explanation why stocks tend to dip in the summer. I have noticed the pattern though.

and googling the phrase yields like 20 straight variations of "Why experts say you shouldn't sell in May", which makes me think the rule must in fact be true.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Selling in May was advice from some investing almanac back in the day, spread around as accepted wisdom, and the law of averages has seen fit to alternately prove/disprove depending on the year.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Subvisual Haze posted:

I've never really heard a reasonable sounding explanation why stocks tend to dip in the summer. I have noticed the pattern though.

and googling the phrase yields like 20 straight variations of "Why experts say you shouldn't sell in May", which makes me think the rule must in fact be true.

oh sorry, i was joking. "sell in may and go away" is meaningless, and i was making fun of it and meme stocks in general

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

oh sorry, i was joking. "sell in may and go away" is meaningless, and i was making fun of it and meme stocks in general

It kinda cracks me up regardless, because hindsight bias will tell you whether you were *checks dice* magically correct this time around.

That aside, KRE (regional bank etf) and thus regional banks appear to be taking a giant nosedive, which is not a great sign going forward for the economy at the moment.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I think the matt levine thesis on that is going to play out, it's so easy to jump banks to chase better deposit interest rates now that banks that aren't top 10 nationwide players structurally can't maintain a stable enough deposit base to continue existing

look for a fuckton of mergers the only game left in banking is a race to become too big for retail depositors to have a place to flee

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 11, 2023

Baddog
May 12, 2001

shame on an IGA posted:

look for a fuckton of mergers the only game left in banking is a race to become too big for retail depositors to have a place to flee

This was so predictable by prolonging the panic here. Should buy some JPM here even though it feels dumb to be buying a bank near its all time highs during a "banking crisis". But its really only a banking crisis for everyone smaller than them.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I apologize to agronox for the semi-offtopic post but discord is making GBS threads itself at the moment. life imitates art. unless the movie clip was based on this guy?

https://archive.ph/sn4CZ

"Back then, Zhao was a second grader at what he describes as a middling public school in Beijing when his class received two coveted tickets to take a test to enter a prestigious math olympiad."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoYC_8cutb0

for actual content, $TSN had a dead cat bounce green day after absolutely failing at earnings for the second quarter in a row as a drunk nepotism-based CFO is not digging big chicken out of its inflationary mess. but perhaps, just perhaps, today's title 42 expiry will lead to upside surprises in margins due to not-priced-in stabilization of labor costs later in '23? something to revisit in a quarter or three.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

shame on an IGA posted:

I think the matt levine thesis on that is going to play out, it's so easy to jump banks to chase better deposit interest rates now that banks that aren't top 10 nationwide players structurally can't maintain a stable enough deposit base to continue existing

It’s interesting because the NY Fed has some research out that small banks (sub $5 billion in assets) didn’t see the same deposit flight as regionals and super regionals did following SVB.

https://libertystreeteconomics.newyorkfed.org/2023/05/bank-funding-during-the-current-monetary-policy-tightening-cycle/

Longer term there are definitely funding pressures on smaller institutions. A lot of those institutions will probably get absorbed or parted out over time. There isn’t really a ton of appetite for bank M&A activity at the moment though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

tumblr hype man posted:

A lot of those institutions will probably get absorbed or parted out over time. There isn’t really a ton of appetite for bank M&A activity at the moment though.

I can assure you the large bank appetize for M&A is endless. Banks would take anyone they can in a merger if government doesn't stop them. JPM was basically paid to take FRC. The only reason JPM doesn't buy more banks is because government won't let em.

Often they'll buy entire units of a bank instead of the entire bank so that it's not all merged. My wife is handling one of these as she does these m&a's and is saddened by the likelihood that she's going to be ultra, ultra busy with new m&a's because of all this bank failure.