Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

T-Bone posted:

I don't see any point in bringing back Graves with how well Bahl has played. If they don't think Nemec is ready they need to find someone on the right side though. I don't see Severson coming back. He's going to get paid and he has basically said he wants to play more (and he deserves to, he's not a 3rd pair d-man). He'll get his 5m-6m+ and a top 4 slot from someone.

Personally I'd try to sign a cheap RH plug who isn't a complete disaster on a short term deal and give Nemec every chance to win the job.

Yup, agreed. Smith is still signed through next year. So basically with Graves/Severson walking, the D is something like:

Hamilton-Siegenthaler
Marino-Hughes
Bahl-Nemec
Smith

I kinda think that's fine, I doubt Nemec won't be ready by the start of the season to plug a hole in the defense at least in sheltered minutes.

It's interesting though, NJ has a TON of RFA's coming up and some other choices to make on UFA's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fawning deference posted:

To say they can't win in the playoffs with Bratt because his very first playoff season as a young player hasn't been great is kind of absurd though. Bratt is a player that doesn't become available often in the league considering his age, skillset, and ability to also play very good defensively. He's a player you don't think twice about locking up while your window to win has just opened.

Same with Meier. Players like him are few and far between in the league. He's 26 and brings a lot of elements that the team desperately needs.

There is some daylight between "they can't win the playoffs with Bratt" and "they could better use a 8-9MM contract slot in the top 6"... no?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

mcmagic posted:

There is some daylight between "they can't win the playoffs with Bratt" and "they could better use a 8-9MM contract slot in the top 6"... no?

How could they better use it? The UFA pool is a train wreck and they'd need to give up an enormous amount of future assets to trade for a player like him. Bratt is 24 and an elite two-way winger. What more could you spend that money on?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

How could they better use it? The UFA pool is a train wreck and they'd need to give up an enormous amount of future assets to trade for a player like him. Bratt is 24 and an elite two-way winger. What more could you spend that money on?

We have no idea which players are going to become available in the next few years though. And the devils have the ammo to go get literally anyone who does.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

mcmagic posted:

We have no idea which players are going to become available in the next few years though. And the devils have the ammo to go get literally anyone who does.

"We have no idea". Exactly. Maybe nobody even close to Bratt becomes available via UFA and now you're 3 or 4 years into your winning window.

What are the odds a player like him becomes available who's 24 years old? It doesn't make sense to just hope and see when you already have the player you would be waiting for imo.

FootballFreak2
Jan 8, 2023

It was interference, but now it is what it is, the kraken have been playing against the refs all playoffs long, and it hasn't stopped them yet.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I am worried about the face of Miro Heiskanen

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

FootballFreak2 posted:

It was interference, but now it is what it is, the kraken have been playing against the refs all playoffs long, and it hasn't stopped them yet.

It wasn't lol. Grubs throwing himself around like Ronaldo under a light breeze. I'd even think if that was called no goal it's more likely it's flipped to a goal than remains no goal. That's how little interference occurred.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Maybe if Grub hadn't been flopping around he'd had more time to get squared up to the shot

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

"We have no idea". Exactly. Maybe nobody even close to Bratt becomes available via UFA and now you're 3 or 4 years into your winning window.

What are the odds a player like him becomes available who's 24 years old? It doesn't make sense to just hope and see when you already have the player you would be waiting for imo.

And if a player better than Bratt does become available, then the whole league is bidding for them. There's only around a dozen potential UFAs in 2024 or 2025 in that range and they'll all be older than Bratt. His contract will not be without risk, but you don't want to be placing your Cup hopes on like, trying to get Marner in two years.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

I am worried about the face of Miro Heiskanen

I'm a little surprised given the appearance and location that he didn't break something in his face.

That poo poo with Grubauer wasn't GI, but it sure did look like it live. The skate clip is what I though might get it overturned, but there was enough time in between that he got reset. I didn't really like that they evened it up when Grubauer took the stick to the face from Hintz, but that's the only one that stands out where Sutherland and Hanson were just passengers. None of that boils up like that without the high stick to the goalie's face, so you give the extra 2 to the team starting things. Otherwise, I really appreciated Kelly Sutherland telling off the Dallas bench after he let someone change on an icing for an equipment issue.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Follow-throughs on shot attempts aren't high sticks.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
N: https://twitter.com/GoldenKnights/status/1656348503633960960

V: ruh roh

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It would be nice if every game in the playoffs wasn't a blowout. This is honestly the dullest playoffs I can remember.

With Samsonov and Brossoit going out, after tonight the only goalies to start every game in the playoffs so far, halfway through the second round, are Oettinger, Grubauer, and Skinner. And Skinner probably isn't gonna make it to the end of this round either.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Schmid has shown he can win a playoff round. Rangers exposed him in Game 5, he came back and shut them out twice. He was good in this round Game 1 but he was left out to dry. Game 2 he got rattled and Ruff wrongly went with Vanecek instead of letting Schmid get through it.

I think the real problem has been Vanecek, and had Schmid been in net yesterday, the game may have gone differently imo.

I say this with zero snark, I'm over what happened, but I wouldn't use that Rangers performance vs Schmid as a benchmark at all. They repeatedly get wrecked by rookie goalies for some reason. I'm not saying Schmid is bad (his neckbeard is) but yeah take the 1st round with a grain of salt.

I'd absolutely ride with him over V and Blackwood though.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Matt Zerella posted:

I say this with zero snark, I'm over what happened, but I wouldn't use that Rangers performance vs Schmid as a benchmark at all. They repeatedly get wrecked by rookie goalies for some reason. I'm not saying Schmid is bad (his neckbeard is) but yeah take the 1st round with a grain of salt.

I'd absolutely ride with him over V and Blackwood though.

That is fair, but Schmid was really good and poised all year, so I still think he seems like he is good enough to win a playoff series with.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

lol

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

:discourse:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Not keeping Bratt would be incredibly stupid for New Jersey. He is 24 and has back to back 73 point seasons. You're getting an older, more expensive, sidegrade at best from the upcoming UFA crops.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DOOMocrat posted:

Follow-throughs on shot attempts aren't high sticks.

Oh I see they called it slashing instead on the game report, it was announced at the time as high sticking in the rink. Either way, you don't even that one up when you have 9 guys in a scrum because of it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/amandacstein/status/1656367228521156609

lol Lindy with the same train of thought as I was having today

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

I know it's a joke and all but they do get paid extra for playoffs, right?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Escape Goat posted:

I know it's a joke and all but they do get paid extra for playoffs, right?

No. It's pure revenue for the owners. Unless they have performance bonuses related to the playoffs I guess.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah iirc only players on ELCs and 35+ contracts can theoretically have bonuses, and I think the ELC ones are pretty restrictive. So unless you’re old as heck and negotiated playoff compensation into your deal you play the most lucrative games of the season for free.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Players get paid in playoff shares. The further you get more they get. Teams knocked out first round get like 15k per player. Teams at the end get closer to 200k per player.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

There's a playoff prize pool written into the CBA. It's set at a total of $21m for this season. The amount available in increases the further a team gets in the playoffs. Last year cup winning players got about $210,000 each while players of teams that lost in the first round got about $15,000 each. So they aren't getting their full salaries but they're still compensated for their time.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Also I think they write down the names of the winners somewhere I’m not 100% sure.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Think of the exposure you are getting for your career though! :D

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
dark lol that Matthew Knies got maybe one NHL paycheck and then got a major concussion plus like 6k extra dollars

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

abuse culture. posted:

dark lol that Matthew Knies got maybe one NHL paycheck and then got a major concussion plus like 6k extra dollars

Welcome to the NHL! It sucks here.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I had no clue why this was posted in the NHL thread and I had to double-check where I was, and then it clicked after a minute. I had to look up the area code (or whatever it's called in Canada) to figure out who/what team it was talking about and it all made sense.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Sent it to my meme group chat. One of the leafs fans was like "gently caress I'd fire the poo poo out of someone for being that lovely if I was paying them that much loving money!"

:allears:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lmao chyron: matthews, marner, nylander, tavares 4 points combined (4a)

Sweet fuckin poo poo

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It would be super loving funny if the Leafs had a "The Leafs and Dubas have mutually agreed to part ways" press release ready for the second intermission.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's not necessary since Dubas is a pending UFA anyway.

But you may not have heard, the Leafs won the Stanley Cup when they beat the Lightning. Dubas and Keefe will be back baby

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's not necessary since Dubas is a pending UFA anyway.

At the end of the game.

They still have roughly 5 hours to fire him and save face.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

If New Jersey gets a league average goalie in the next 2-4 years they’re winning the cup lol.

it's basically this. It could definitely not happen because of goalie voodoo and they are legitimately tiny as a team, but they would be insane not to lock up Meier/Bratt for 8-9m. I'm not sure there's going to be a better use of that money. if they go out and get a Tom Wilson instead that would be...risky.

they should be a coinflip with Carolina to win the division and slightly favored over the Rangers for at least the next 2-3 years, and I'd put all 3 teams as threats to win the Cup. Having a bunch of shots at it with young guys in their prime on good contracts as the cap goes up only increases their chances of getting lucky one year.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
And a hearty welcome to this thread to Leafs fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Is the parade tomorrow?