Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Thrash 101 should read like this...

Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Exodus - Bonded by Blood
Kreator - Pleasure to Kill
Slayer - Reign In Blood
Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
Anthrax - Among the Living
Testament - The Legacy
Overkill - Under the Influence
Sepultura - Beneath the Remains
Megadeth - Rust In Peace

RIP bookends an era as the last GREAT thrash album!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Saying this when Epidemic of Violence came out two years later...

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Exodus - Bonded by Blood
Slayer - Reign In Blood
Testament - The Legacy
Megadeth - Rust In Peace

I would switch out for arise over Beneath, personally. Got drat I love that record.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
That list suffers from an inexplicable lack of Artillery - By Inheritance.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

BurningBeard posted:

I would switch out for arise over Beneath, personally. Got drat I love that record.

the opening riff to arise is one of the best guitar riffs ever

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Exodus - Bonded by Blood
Slayer - Reign In Blood
Testament - The Legacy
Megadeth - Rust In Peace

Epidemic of Violence came out two years later though.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
RIP just isn't that fast for the majority of it. For Thrash, it's fairly mid-tempo for the majority of it.

Holy Wars - Thrashy (loving awesome too), which then gets Sabbathy...
Hanger 18 - Thrashy at the end? The first half of the song is kinda just metal...
Take No Prisoners - Thrashy
5 Magics - Has a Thrashy bit? Otherwise just metal...
Poison Was The Cure - Thrashy after a 1 minute long intro in barely a 3 minute song
Lucretia - Fun riff, but not thrashy
Tornado of Souls - Would've been an amazing Dio song 'cos he would've written better lyrics.
Dawn Patrol - lol
Polaris - Who cares?

Take No Prisoners is the only song that's thrashy for the whole thing. Everything else kinda goes into standard Metal tempos. Plus aside from Dave's voice (which I still hate) it doesn't exactly have a super aggressive sound either.

I mean compared to Master of Puppets?

Battery - Arguably the greatest Thrash Metal song written.
Master of Puppets - Thrashy aside from a middle interlude
Thing That Should Not Be - Sabbathy
Sanitarium - Ballad, but thrashy at the end?
Disposable Heroes - Thrashy as gently caress
Leper Messiah - Sabbathy
Orion - Not Thrashy but too awesome to care (albiet with some semi-thrashy moments)
Damage Inc - Thrashy as gently caress.

Half of MOP is pretty much straight-out thrash.

...And better.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

A lot of bad takes itt

Gonna listen to RIP on the way to work tonight.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

H13 posted:

RIP just isn't that fast for the majority of it. For Thrash, it's fairly mid-tempo for the majority of it.

Hanger 18 - Thrashy at the end? The first half of the song is kinda just metal...
Poison Was The Cure - Thrashy after a 1 minute long intro in barely a 3 minute song
Tornado of Souls - Would've been an amazing Dio song 'cos he would've written better lyrics.
Dawn Patrol - lol
Polaris - Who cares?

Take No Prisoners is the only song that's thrashy for the whole thing. Everything else kinda goes into standard Metal tempos. Plus aside from Dave's voice (which I still hate) it doesn't exactly have a super aggressive sound either.

Leper Messiah - Sabbathy
Orion - Not Thrashy but too awesome to care (albiet with some semi-thrashy moments)

...And better.
Ill have what youre smoking

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Battery is better than Holy Wars okay folks we can wrap up the thread H13 has spoken

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

that is such a deeply strange way to rate albums

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

First, Rust in Peace is better than any Metallica album, just straight up. Second, the best thrash song ever written is Overkill's Deny the Cross.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

all of you are wrong the best thrash is chance era skeletonwitch

source: revealed to me in a dream

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
What's the thread's opinion on Lorna Shore ? I, personally, don't quite stomach them. As a bad opinion as that is ... I'm sticking to it. And that MOP is definitely better than RIP, but holy gently caress both of those are top of the pop albums. Oh, and I prefer Kreator's Coma of Souls to Pleasure to Kill , though Gods of Violence has some very good bits as well.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Kvlt! posted:

i do not agree but unlike some of the others this is a thrash hot take i can get behind

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

H13 posted:

Dawn Patrol - lol
Polaris - Who cares?

Leper Messiah - Sabbathy

...And better.

shut the gently caress up Lars

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

We can all agree that it is extremely lol that Mustain got kicked from Metallica, said "Screw you I'll make my own Metallica with blackjack and hookers" and let that grudge fuel a couple decades of great to good records.

The power of spite!

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Volguus posted:

What's the thread's opinion on Lorna Shore ? I, personally, don't quite stomach them. As a bad opinion as that is ... I'm sticking to it.

That is not a bad opinion. There's a couple of defenders here but I think most of this thread regulars aren't big on Deathcore in general. Personally, I can't stand them at all and I really hate how deathcore has hosed up the Slam/Brutal Death scene as a whole.

Lencho fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 10, 2023

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

...I mean yeah it's pretty high up there.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Volguus posted:

What's the thread's opinion on Lorna Shore ? I, personally, don't quite stomach them. As a bad opinion as that is ... I'm sticking to it. And that MOP is definitely better than RIP, but holy gently caress both of those are top of the pop albums. Oh, and I prefer Kreator's Coma of Souls to Pleasure to Kill , though Gods of Violence has some very good bits as well.

Lorna Snore, Lorna Chore, Lorna Bore, Lorna Ignore etc. etc.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Volguus posted:

lorna shore feels like zoomer anaal nathrakh

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

I feel like this thread used to poo poo on Skeletonwitch a lot but yeah, they were loving awesome back then, on record and live.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Needs and thrash metal, whatever. Brutal death and slam is far cooler. Organectomy is stupidly brutal and great live. Waiting for Devourment now.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Skeletonwitch destroyed opening for 3 Inches of Blood, rip that band. I don't have any thrash hot takes but I thought All Shall Perish was a really good band that got unfairly lumped in with their deathcore contemporaries.

Of course I'll tolerate a little of that type of poo poo if it feels like it's doing something different so mileage may vary.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Volguus posted:

What's the thread's opinion on Lorna Shore ? I, personally, don't quite stomach them. As a bad opinion as that is ... I'm sticking to it.

Your opinion is allowed. I, on the other hand, like them a lot. Although deathcore has never been my thing before.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Spanish Manlove posted:

this is selling me on listening to lorna shore

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Southern Cassowary posted:

this is selling me on listening to lorna shore

I guess I'm just a sucker for huge epic choirs in my metal; I enjoyed it 20-25 years ago when Therion and bands like Tristania were doing it; I'm enjoying it now when these deathcore kids are doing it.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I'm a big fan of Lorna Shore though I totally get why people would get turned off. The mix is so over the top that it can be a bit much at times. I like em though even though I find deathcore in general pretty samey - at least Lorna Shore seem to be doing something a bit different.

Will Ramos is an extremely good vocalist also

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

Will Ramos is an extremely good vocalist also

Also it's kind of funny how he's basically got the personality of a golden retriever whenever he's not doing the channeling-Satan thing.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
the only deathcore band i've enjoyed in recent years has been Shadow of Intent but their most recent album wasn't great so i'm a little worried. Reclaimer is an alltimer for the genre though IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb7pCpI180k

e: the part immediately after the interlude/spoken word thing in the middle is incredible imo

hopterque fucked around with this message at 11:33 on May 11, 2023

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Spanish Manlove posted:

Lol.

They suck but if they get kids into extreme / silly metal then cool

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Deathcore is like slam and synthwave for me where I like the tippy top of the genre but find it gets very stale very fast. Like most slam bands for me are fairly pleasant listening but I've forgotten the songs halfway through an album. I tend to prefer bands that are doing something a little bit different with it.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

MikeCrotch posted:

Deathcore is like slam and synthwave for me where I like the tippy top of the genre but find it gets very stale very fast. Like most slam bands for me are fairly pleasant listening but I've forgotten the songs halfway through an album. I tend to prefer bands that are doing something a little bit different with it.

Ditto. For better or worse it's a vital area getting a lot of bands taking swings. On a long enough timeline someone will hit on something unique or interesting. Not very unique or interesting is this, which I rather enjoyed despite that.

https://youtu.be/TT6LLEkt9D8

Lol at this video calling it tech death though. I'm not one for genre quibbling but that does not accurately describe it at all.

Who else is doing poo poo like this?

https://youtu.be/yshzL4Hf-Wc

That album is so loving wild to me and I know nothing is going to measure up to it but if there are other bands that are at least messing around in that zone I'd be interested in checking them out.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

speaking of swings in deathcore: have you heard dragoncorpse, who are combining deathcore and power metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei_xY1kz5WI

i don't know if i actually like this - think it has kind of an oil and water problem where the genre mix isn't really coherent - but it's definitely trying to do something

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Not listening but it should be illegal to make that genre combination imo.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Southern Cassowary posted:

speaking of swings in deathcore: have you heard dragoncorpse, who are combining deathcore and power metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei_xY1kz5WI

i don't know if i actually like this - think it has kind of an oil and water problem where the genre mix isn't really coherent - but it's definitely trying to do something

i congratulate them on reinventing symphonic death metal

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

i congratulate them on reinventing symphonic death metal

yeah but it's worse cause it has all the deathcore songwriting tropes in it

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So the new Sacred Outcry album is now available, and it's some real goddamn good poo poo even aside from Daniel Heiman still sounding like a golden loving god:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-77sho-yjfU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

Deathcore is like slam and synthwave for me where I like the tippy top of the genre but find it gets very stale very fast.

Same, but all of existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

At last, Spotify has the original mixes of Rust in Peace.