Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Sakurazuka posted:

Finished it finally decent game. I never quite got why Dagan was so obsessed with Tanalorr though, I assumed we'd find out there was something up with it eventually but you just kinda go there and beat the final boss and that's it. I feel like Kata was a bit too okay with hanging out with the people that killed her dad too.
To be completely fair, they make a point of not only asking him for a peaceful surrender, but doing it with her present. So she sees that her dad's the one who chooses combat to the death despite being offered better options, and he also directly endangers her while he's lashing out and Merrin makes the save.

I'm sure she'll have more complicated feelings about it next game, but in the short term, I can understand how she's processing "sorry honey, Daddy really wants to murder everyone" as "okay, Dad needed putting down".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

jabro posted:

just wait for the next game where Cal is training Kata and she turns against him.

It'll be because she got tired of all the corny dadjokes about Kata doing katas

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Finished it finally decent game. I never quite got why Dagan was so obsessed with Tanalorr though

Little Saint James

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Nancy posted:

I'm guessing heroic sacrifice in the 3rd game

I hope this isn't the case, if it turns out BD-1 is the busted-up little guy that helps build Mando's fighter in BoBF my heart might break in two :cry:

Take him with you instead of that little green imp!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

CapnAndy posted:

To be completely fair, they make a point of not only asking him for a peaceful surrender, but doing it with her present. So she sees that her dad's the one who chooses combat to the death despite being offered better options, and he also directly endangers her while he's lashing out and Merrin makes the save.

I'm sure she'll have more complicated feelings about it next game, but in the short term, I can understand how she's processing "sorry honey, Daddy really wants to murder everyone" as "okay, Dad needed putting down".

The kid was already portrayed as really perceptive (and probably force sensitive too) so she probably already had an inkling that her father was on a path to nowhere good.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

There's a post-game conversation where Merrin says that at some point Kata will ask about her father, and to be prepared for that conversation. She's still processing everything.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Lord Hydronium posted:

There's a post-game conversation where Merrin says that at some point Kata will ask about her father, and to be prepared for that conversation. She's still processing everything.

I think the main issue with this situation is that Bode is beaten and grounded, then Cal double taps him. Cal has a clear look on his face like poo poo why did I do that.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Well I got to the observatory fight and the game is back to being ol crashy mccrasherson, fantastic. Guess I'll wait for the next patch to finish it...?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

JBP posted:

I think the main issue with this situation is that Bode is beaten and grounded, then Cal double taps him. Cal has a clear look on his face like poo poo why did I do that.

Cal kills a lot of people in this game. A lot of major characters too, and there is a massive difference between how he behaves before, during, and after when he kills Bode vs. anyone else. With the 7th Sister, Rayvis, Dagan, etc. Cal is serene before, during, and after the battles. He doesn't want to kill but he understands that sometimes lethal force is necessary.

On the other hand, he wanted to kill Bode. Even without the blindly obvious EMBRACE YOUR DARKNESS!!! moment, his reaction afterward is very much "oh poo poo, I just murdered a guy." Cal understands that his motivations and state of mind were different from anything seen in the game.

jabro posted:

just wait for the next game where Cal is training Kata and she turns against him.

I don't know if they have time for this. It's currently 9 BBY in this game, and Kata looks like she's... maybe eight at the oldest? That means she's fifteen or sixteen at most in the next game, assuming they don't set it post-Yavin. That seems a bit young for a villain arc.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 11, 2023

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

JBP posted:

To be fair that was right after Bode faked surrendering and then tried to kill Merrin. Cal couldn’t risk him still being alive and trying it again.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 11, 2023

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah ______Bode did nothing but show he was a liar who could not be trusted, especially after spitting on a final chance to get what he wanted without further violence.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

RatHat posted:

To be fair that was right after Bode faked surrendering and then tried to kill Merrin. Cal couldn’t risk him still being alive and trying it again.

It wasn't that he killed Bode; it's that he wanted Bode dead. The dude had to die, no question but Cal's emotional state and intentions were different from other times he's killed.

Edit: however much we think that should or shouldn't matter, the Star Wars universe has a pretty clear track record of that mattering a whole lot.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Skippy McPants posted:

It wasn't that he killed Bode; it's that he wanted Bode dead. The dude had to die, no question but Cal's emotional state and intentions were different from other times he's killed.

Edit: however much we think that should or shouldn't matter, the Star Wars universe has a pretty clear track record of that mattering a whole lot.

Yeah he wasn't like "I'm sorry it has come to this, misguided but once noble opponent". He's like blam blam gently caress you, then goes hmm I shouldn't have acted out like this.

Which tbh will come up with the kid who will remember that part of the encounter. It doesn't have to be the end of the relationship or anything, but they're going to have to deal with him blasting Bode to death.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Bode tried to shoot him too but his blaster malfunctioned. He was, at every point, a duplicitous piece of poo poo that Cal had previously considered his best friend up to that point. His previous friend group were all killed because of him. And he tried to kill his girlfriend and was responsible for the only remaining Jedi Cal knows dying. Putting one more in him is pretty justified.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

TK-42-1 posted:

Bode tried to shoot him too but his blaster malfunctioned. He was, at every point, a duplicitous piece of poo poo that Cal had previously considered his best friend up to that point. His previous friend group were all killed because of him. And he tried to kill his girlfriend and was responsible for the only remaining Jedi Cal knows dying. Putting one more in him is pretty justified.

Fo sho, but again, it's not about what Bode deserved. It's about what Cal was feeling while he dished it out.

With every big other kill Cal makes, the game pauses on a very deliberate beat to show his reaction. For everyone except Bode, Cal is tranquil. He had to kill, but he didn't want to. With Bode, he had to kill, and he wanted to.

Like, this is the bedrock of the monochromatic morality that is Star Wars, right? The game lingers on it to the point that I'd say it's impossible to miss.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 11, 2023

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The fact that we’re talking about this just shows this is the best star wars thing in a long time. If they keep doing poo poo like this and Andor I think the franchise will continue for a long time. Mando et al is good and hits that kind of campy serial beat but there’s so much room for nuanced great stories in here.

Game is so good. It’s a real shame the technical bugs kind of took some of the luster off it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Hopefully it’ll get polished up and become a weird delayed modern classic like Arkham Knight

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Also on the topic of the ending there's a very different feel to shooting someone dead than dueling them to the end with a lightsaber. Like even though there may have been no other options Bode's gun was disabled and he was laid out, then Cal shoots him dead like a cowboy lmao

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Kesper North posted:

The pc patch is out and for some reason it's taking literally all day to install, despite being only 4.3gb in actual "size" wtfh

just "patching" took an hour, and now it's on the "install" phase, and well

what the hell??

At one point, mine showed 2 b/s for over 30 minutes estimating 148,621 hours, 52 minutes, and 3 seconds to completion

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Fortunately, they'll have computers powerful enough to reliably run the game by 2040

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Skippy McPants posted:

Fo sho, but again, it's not about what Bode deserved. It's about what Cal was feeling while he dished it out.

With every big other kill Cal makes, the game pauses on a very deliberate beat to show his reaction. For everyone except Bode, Cal is tranquil. He had to kill, but he didn't want to. With Bode, he had to kill, and he wanted to.

Like, this is the bedrock of the monochromatic morality that is Star Wars, right? The game lingers on it to the point that I'd say it's impossible to miss.

And they make you go Dark Side like two minutes beforehand too, with no sign that Cal has at all snapped out of it when he pulls the trigger. It is absolutely not a righteous kill.

God I really really hope they don’t have Cal go dark and/or die, Tanalorr is a perfect reason for why he hasn’t popped up in any other media yet, just have him show up all “hey Rey, wanna see the hidden planet with a Jedi temple and a population of Force-sensitives we hid from the Empire? Seems like something you could use, ps this is my Nightsister wife, we’ve spent the last few decades theorycrafting some really interesting perspectives on the Force”

Dogen posted:

Hopefully it’ll get polished up and become a weird delayed modern classic like Arkham Knight
Did they patch needing to use the goddamn car and shoot stupid tanks out of Arkham Knight or something, I got the game for free and I’ve never been able to beat it because STOP IT WITH THE loving SHOOTCAR STOP MAKING ME USE IT I WANT TO BE BATMAN

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CapnAndy posted:

And they make you go Dark Side like two minutes beforehand too, with no sign that Cal has at all snapped out of it when he pulls the trigger. It is absolutely not a righteous kill.

God I really really hope they don’t have Cal go dark and/or die, Tanalorr is a perfect reason for why he hasn’t popped up in any other media yet, just have him show up all “hey Rey, wanna see the hidden planet with a Jedi temple and a population of Force-sensitives we hid from the Empire? Seems like something you could use, ps this is my Nightsister wife, we’ve spent the last few decades theorycrafting some really interesting perspectives on the Force”

For the fate of Cal I think they should Finish the next game with Tanalorr being sealed away from the Empire. Do the classic Vader marching away and getting the door slammed at the last moment, but with no way to get in or out.

Cal and Kata go on some adventures/training, then Cal saves the people of Koboh from the empire's assault and moves everyone to Tanalorr. They fend off the empire in a final stand and seal the door (after overcoming the dark side with help from his friends) mirroring Bode's dream but with other people there to talk to.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Hulk Krogan posted:

It's weird. When you get that upgrade, it tells you that zapping robots from out of combat speeds up hacking, or something like that. It definitely doesn't say that lobbing a taser at them instantly mind controls them, but that's what it does.

Not sure if the text is wrong or if the instant hack is a bug.

it also doesn't actually do anything immediately because the hacked droids only actually turn when you alert them so it's pretty drat confusing when you're launching darts at one and they just keep walking on their patrol

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

Fortunately, they'll have computers powerful enough to reliably run the game by 2040

Whatever issues this game has don't appear to even be addressed by better hardware.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Whatever issues this game has don't appear to even be addressed by better hardware.

[reaches the top of the observatory, looks down and sees the droidekka i hacked half an hour and a hundred vertical meters ago still desperately trying to roll to my side across a gap]

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Working as intended

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Did they do a patch over the last four days? I've been away for work and now the game won't load on ps5 lol.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
There was a patch released on Tuesday. They fixed the HDR at least, but I've been hearing the performance got even worse.

FrontRowSeat
Jul 14, 2006

I would often visit the local duck pond to contemplate life and consider which duck looked the most delicious.
Latest patch seems to have had a pretty significant improvement on my performance on PC, though I only had a little while to test it out last night. My FPS improved by about 20-30 on average, and I was able to switch back to higher settings again, after having lowered them before to get a decent frame rate.

FrontRowSeat fucked around with this message at 11:37 on May 11, 2023

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

CapnAndy posted:

what

why did the game never tell me I could do that??

It kinda does. "The dart makes droids easier to hack by BD-1." So I thought, 'cool, if you dart them in combat, you only need to get them down to half strength or something.'

Nope. Just dart them before combat, and they're permanently hacked. This is how I cleared out that outpost up in the mountains; dart the security droids, and let them do most of the work. They're pretty strong.

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 13:40 on May 11, 2023

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Kesper North posted:

It'll be because she got tired of all the corny dadjokes about Kata doing katas

My daughter's name? Kata. This is 'The Way.'

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
this new patch is been erxtremely cool and good if you like constant crashes every couple of minutes

Dogen
May 5, 2002

ephex posted:

this new patch is been erxtremely cool and good if you like constant crashes every couple of minutes

Yeah it definitely seems more crashy on pc to me, I was running fine before with a few tweaks to settings.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Reverse for me, no crashes and better performance.

Love that patch RNG.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Bode tried to hurt BD-1. He’s lucky all he got was a double tap from Cal. He deserves at a minimum a brick to the skull like that Imp that kicks over B2EMO in Andor

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Just rolled credit, poo poo was bomb, up there with Jedi outcast for me. I wish I had found more of the bounty hunters but overall I feel like I got my moneys worth at 32 hours

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Just rolled credit, poo poo was bomb, up there with Jedi outcast for me. I wish I had found more of the bounty hunters but overall I feel like I got my moneys worth at 32 hours
I wish there was a better loop than "murk a bounty hunter, travel all the way back to Pyloon's to get a waypoint for the next one, immediately travel off again". Like, you'd find clues on their bodies, or something.

I did kill all the bounty hunters, because I saw Boba Fett's name in the credits and was like "wait what the gently caress I gotta see where this goes, now". It's pretty neat but a lot of them are pushovers, especially if you do them in the postgame.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

CapnAndy posted:

I wish there was a better loop than "murk a bounty hunter, travel all the way back to Pyloon's to get a waypoint for the next one, immediately travel off again". Like, you'd find clues on their bodies, or something.

I did kill all the bounty hunters, because I saw Boba Fett's name in the credits and was like "wait what the gently caress I gotta see where this goes, now". It's pretty neat but a lot of them are pushovers, especially if you do them in the postgame.

A lot of them are literally pushovers if you fight them near a cliff.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

CapnAndy posted:

What happens with Boba Fett, is he just the last bounty hunter fight or something? I may or may not have forgotten to ever go back and follow up on the bounty hunter questline...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah. Holotable's there for a reason.