Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Prayer group, I finally made the coffee liqueur recipe you shared. It’s good!

:letsgo: :letsgo: :letsgo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

You can also use it in replacement of green, although it will be very strong with a 1:1 ratio. Better off doing half.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Alucard posted:

As far as household items to get gin from, bathtubs are usually better.

Made a Negroni Bianco the other day with Lillet Blanc, Suze, and Tanqueray. Was pretty tasty, but should probably be a Negroni Giallo.

Swapped out the gin for redemption rye tonight and I think I like it better. Presentation is a little less appealing though. Since I'm not sure this has an official name I present without further ado the UTI:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Crosspost from the AUG thread:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I would pay precisely zero dollars for that old fashioned.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Apparently Giffard Banane Du Brasil is another one of those spirits that Michigan can't get in stock for some reason, but I came across a random liquor store that had a few bottles left and picked one up. This stuff is definitely the best tasting Banana liqueur I've had, although we don't have Tempus Fugit Creme De Banane in our state. I'll probably pick a bottle of that up next time I see it.

They also had Giffard's Carribean Pineapple, which I haven't seen in many stores - I was thinking about picking up a bottle of that to add it to my tiki bar.

They even had green chartreuse for $120 a bottle :cry:

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 11, 2023

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Alucard posted:

Swapped out the gin for redemption rye tonight and I think I like it better. Presentation is a little less appealing though. Since I'm not sure this has an official name I present without further ado the UTI:

I just love the colors coming from that stuff so much, but I tried both of these, and a suze and tonic, and yeah I think it's gonna end up at the very back of the cabinet to be pulled out as a curiousity now and again.

It's weird because I do like gentian as a part of other liquors; I'm not sure why I'm feeling so consistently underwhelmed by Suze

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Put my coffee liqueur to use last night in this recipe from Regarding Cocktails:

Excellent stuff. Probably my favorite dessert cocktail that I’ve made. In place of the simple syrup, I used a cinnamon bark vanilla syrup that I made for Zombies, and it came out really nice.

Dry shaking tip: I’ve found that using a milk frothing wand, the type that you can get on Amazon for $10, provides easier and more consistent results than a dry shake. I was worried it wouldn’t be able to handle an egg yolk, but it was fine here.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I was at Attaboy a few weeks ago, and they made me a mezcal cafe con leche flip. One of the best drinks I've ever had, but it's definitely a "once every few months" kind of thing

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Corb3t posted:

This stuff is definitely the best tasting Banana liqueur I've had, although we don't have Tempus Fugit Creme De Banane in our state. I'll probably pick a bottle of that up next time I see it.
It tastes like puréed overripe cavendish bananas. Absolutely incredible.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

1. Do bartenders normally put like 8 dashes of ango in an Old Fashioned?
2. Why would you take an already chilled glass, ice it, then toss the ice instead of just pouring the drink into it fresh from from the freezer?
3. Was he spraying it with absinthe to make it into a quasi-Improved Whiskey Cocktail, or was that citrus oil that could have been just expressed from a peel?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

MF'er takes long enough faffing about I could walk to the next bar and get a proper one there.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hey you can't deny the science of spraying a mist of absinthe past and around a thin stream of whiskey that you're pouring from one glass to another

Like yeah drink mixing is some% just showmanship and BS but cmon. Especially for something called an "old fashioned", lol it's just like they did it back in the olde Bowery

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Strange Matter posted:

1. Do bartenders normally put like 8 dashes of ango in an Old Fashioned?
2. Why would you take an already chilled glass, ice it, then toss the ice instead of just pouring the drink into it fresh from from the freezer?
3. Was he spraying it with absinthe to make it into a quasi-Improved Whiskey Cocktail, or was that citrus oil that could have been just expressed from a peel?

Also just loving simple. I don't need my drink to be gritty, just dose the sugar properly.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
also I like Four Roses rather a lot but all that showmanship to validate charging probably $20 for $2 worth of bourbon is mildly infuriating.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The ghost of 2009 has risen to haunt us.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Strange Matter posted:

also I like Four Roses rather a lot but all that showmanship to validate charging probably $20 for $2 worth of bourbon is mildly infuriating.

Maybe it's some kind of deal where you get a discount if you sit through the whole thing

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Is it okay to punch your bartender?

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Only if they go *tsk tsk tsk*

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Yea I was going to post that but beat me too it. I think the bitters napkin is maybe the worst part but lots to choose from.

Anybody mix with lemon verbana? Planted one from the farmers market. Probably could muddle, garnish, sugar-oleo-infuse, or quick booze infuse. Thinking of ideas.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I would pay precisely zero dollars for that old fashioned.

He should owe the customer money

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

A parallel universe where Mestre Da Pizza became some bullshit bartender.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I just ran out of Plymouth Gin. I now need a new bottle of gin and am debating sticking with Plymouth which was fine or to get something else. I don't use gin much at all, mainly in tiki drinks.

I've considered Roku, the Botanist, Beefeater and Tanqueray. But I don't really know the differences.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Roku is heavy on yuzu and cherry blossom, much like I like to say about Hendricks it’s gin for people who don’t like gin

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 14, 2023

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Ok. 1 down. Thanks.

Oh yeah...and 7 monkeys or whatever it is called. But I suspect that is a bit $$ for mixing.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I really enjoyed Citadelle myself, and I'm sad that I ran out.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Tanq is my favorite of those, mainly because it's pretty simple and pared down. It's flavor is juniper, then some Angelica and baking spice on the back end. In tiki for me it means I can get a gin flavor that doesn't get lost even with a bunch of different ingredients added. I've found some more subtle gins get washed out.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Waltzing Along posted:

I just ran out of Plymouth Gin. I now need a new bottle of gin and am debating sticking with Plymouth which was fine or to get something else. I don't use gin much at all, mainly in tiki drinks.

I've considered Roku, the Botanist, Beefeater and Tanqueray. But I don't really know the differences.

Since it sounds like you're just looking for an occasional mixing gin I'd go Tanqueray, for the reasons Carillon said.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Tanqueray and Beefeater are both great mixing gins. The one I have at any given moment depends on which one is on sale by the handle.

Both make a fine Saturn.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I like Bombay Dry for mixing. Beefeater and Tanq are also fine for that, I just like Bombay a bit more. St. George and Anchor Junipero are good up-market juniper-forward gins, Hendricks is quite tasty for something more delicate and floral.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I just keep Gordon's on hand and it fills in every blank.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Seconding Citadelle , it's probably the best combo of delicious and cheap I've had as far as gins go

There really is just something about Plymouth though :swoon:

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Beefeater is my favorite value gin. I'll spend $40 on rums I'm putting into weak Tiki drinks but balk at $30 bottles of gin for standing up nearly alone in a martini since Beefeater does the job so nicely.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I cannot stand Citadelle. Someone mentioned it tasting like aspartame and now it's all I can taste from it.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

prayer group posted:

I cannot stand Citadelle. Someone mentioned it tasting like aspartame and now it's all I can taste from it.

:agreed: And it's more expensive than Beefeater!

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Beef, Tang and Bombay red are some of the best values on the shelf but a 50/50 with Fords and an absinthe rinse is a really easy going martini.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I just keep Gordon's on hand and it fills in every blank.

Used to be for me too, but now it's more expensive than Beefeater generally. But yes, Gordon's is a perfectly good gin - it carries His Majesty's warrant, after all.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Used to be for me too, but now it's more expensive than Beefeater generally. But yes, Gordon's is a perfectly good gin - it carries His Majesty's warrant, after all.

How? Gordon's is literally half the price of Beefeater here in PENNSYLVANIA.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I've actually never tried Beefeater, I'm almost out of Tanq maybe I'll give that a try next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fair warning, it doesn't taste like beef