Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I read that comic someone linked; was Welt only in that comic? It appears to take place before Honkai 3rd since Himeko is a college student, but Welt leaves their universe at the end so I'm not sure how he'd be present in the game (unless it's a different version of Welt).

Also, the "power levels" at play here confuse me. Welt is a Herrscher, which is basically like a god? Or maybe the Trailblazer and others on the Express are of a similar level due to things being on a universal scale?

Edit: I feel like it's harder to come by artifact XP in this than in Genshin. Maybe it will feel different once I start feeling more comfortable turning 3*s into XP (which should be soon-ish), since that's where I get most in Genshin. It's reached a point where I need to focus on artifacts to make my party stronger.

The comic flashes back and forth between the past and like 10 years after Honkai Impact, Welt is somewhat important to the main game. I mean, he's in a similar "badass old mentor" role as in Star Rail, but that makes him like the third most important man.

Welt was a Herrscher, which comes with godlike powers, but there was some special technobabble stuff going on with Reason that allowed it to be passed along, Welt was the second and he passed it to Bronya. He might still have some of it's power, it's unclear, but he also has a magic scifi artifact with gravity powers that explains what we see from him in Star Rail pretty well too. (Actually I wonder if him mentoring a Bronya will ever have any relevance with the two separate Bronyas we have running around.)

Still, he is probably nowhere near Herrscher level now.
(Personally I'd headcanon him a bit below the other Trailblazers in terms of raw power, but that's mostly because I enjoy the "largely depowered but makes up for it with experience" trope. He's been dealing with scifi bullshit for like 50 years at least!)

--edit

Sam Sanskrit posted:

This is a weirdly hard topic to research (search engines are useless these days and fandom wikis are a plague) but no I’m pretty sure that comic is post Honkai 3rd impact. I am just gonna start playing that drat thing so I can tell what is going on. Welt is definitely around for the main events of 3rd impact in any case.

At least for Star Rail, you really don't need to. Welt and probably Void Archives eventually are pretty much the only links bigger than "I recognize that person kind of" without getting pretty :tinfoil:

That said, from around the point where the plot picks up you don't need to (and frequently cannot) use gacha characters for the main story, most of the daily grind stuff can be clicked through, and if you like melodramatic anime scifi that's basically magic with technobabble and gets up it's own rear end with philosophy and convolution sometimes, and also magic scifi lesbians, I'd say it's a very good one of those. There is significantly more "I feel like that was probably explained somewhere and I'm missing specifics" than Star Rail, though, if that's an issue for you. (It's slop, but it's good slop and I loving love it.) :getin:
--edit2
Oh also as long as I'm giving scifi anime slop warnings for HI3, the horniness levels start at "Our protagonist is 17, is introduced rear end first, and wears a skin tight outfit with a boob window, goes up a little from there, settles down to Genshin/Star Rail levels about when the plot picks up, and then near the end starts giving every newly introduced adult woman giant anime boobs. So that's another "your tolerance / taste may vary" thing.

Captain France fucked around with this message at 10:09 on May 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Is there a credit somewhere for the Japanese voice of the unnamed Garden of Recollection lady you talk to to go to the Forgotten Hall? She sounds incredibly familiar for some reason.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

DontMindMe posted:

What 5* should I pick out of Welt, Himeko, Gerpard, Clara, and Yanqing?

Been mostly using Fire MC, E2 Seele, Bronya, and Bailu.

Edit: I'm leaning towards Gerpard to replace Fire MC, or Clara (whose 5* light cone I have)

Clara Clara Clara

Kale
May 14, 2010

I think Jingliu's going to be the character/design that just does it for me in the first batch. There's something about petite build contrasting with a lethal, serious, elegant and iron-willed deadly warrior demeanor that hits that particular spot and I was getting that vibe before from leaked splash art and even more after that trailer yesterday. Her glower power is pretty on point as well. :lol:

Eimi posted:

Welcome to Hoyoverse. The world is canonically saved in Honkai Impact because Kiana is gay as poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1sd5CzR504

Top 10 Anime Disaster Lesbian Goddess Power Battles

Kale fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 11, 2023

Kale
May 14, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I read that comic someone linked; was Welt only in that comic? It appears to take place before Honkai 3rd since Himeko is a college student, but Welt leaves their universe at the end so I'm not sure how he'd be present in the game (unless it's a different version of Welt).

Also, the "power levels" at play here confuse me. Welt is a Herrscher, which is basically like a god? Or maybe the Trailblazer and others on the Express are of a similar level due to things being on a universal scale?

Edit: I feel like it's harder to come by artifact XP in this than in Genshin. Maybe it will feel different once I start feeling more comfortable turning 3*s into XP (which should be soon-ish), since that's where I get most in Genshin. It's reached a point where I need to focus on artifacts to make my party stronger.

Herrschrr's are kind of like gods/dominants of a concept or element yeah. One of them alone is enough to essentially end the human race and possibly the planet and kind of treated like it's own natural disaster whenever one shows up in a story and that immediately requires top priority to handle. One alone soloed the continent of Australia before being taken out in the previous era of Honkai Impact 3rd, another which is basically the ultimate virus took out most of what remained of humanity at the time by both infecting humans in the last shelter and hacking into and launching a bunch of nukes at the remaining human cities. In the current era at one point Raiden Mei loses her poo poo after seeing Kiana get badly injured and despite having no real combat experience at the time yet besides some kendo lessons, it takes essentially everything Himeko and her unit has to just hold her off and the only thing that kind of saves the city and everyone there is Kiana waking up and asking her get a grip and stop the rampage. After that Mei considers her powers so dangerous she asks to have a device implanted in her that will stop her heart if her Honkai levels cross a certain awakening threshold again. Eventually the main characters learn to work side by side with and tame their dormant Herrscher since most of the time they're just retaliating against human aggression and perhaps not entirely malevolent as evidenced by the existence of characters like Elysia.

A couple other examples of Herscherr power scaling is that during the 2nd eruption one that was essentially just a little girl before awakening takes humanity to the brink once more and even starts tossing chunks of moon rock at the surface and is only finally "beaten" by a gently caress ton of Honkai bombs launched at her position.
There tends to be a pattern involving Herscherr's where they're either beaten or tamed, but it comes at a cost so heavy that it tends to be a pyrrhic victory at best.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm the unstoppable Herrschrr of ultimate destruction. Woe to you all.

(slips on banana peel, falls down stairs, breaks neck)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Kale posted:

Herrschrr's are kind of like gods/dominants of a concept or element yeah. One of them alone is enough to essentially end the human race and possibly the planet and kind of treated like it's own natural disaster whenever one shows up in a story and that immediately requires top priority to handle. One alone soloed the continent of Australia before being taken out in the previous era of Honkai Impact 3rd, another which is basically the ultimate virus took out most of what remained of humanity at the time by both infecting humans in the last shelter and hacking into and launching a bunch of nukes at the remaining human cities. In the current era at one point Raiden Mei loses her poo poo after seeing Kiana get badly injured and despite having no real combat experience at the time yet besides some kendo lessons, it takes essentially everything Himeko and her unit has to just hold her off and the only thing that kind of saves the city and everyone there is Kiana waking up and asking her get a grip and stop the rampage. After that Mei considers her powers so dangerous she asks to have a device implanted in her that will stop her heart if her Honkai levels cross a certain awakening threshold again. Eventually the main characters learn to work side by side with and tame their dormant Herrscher since most of the time they're just retaliating against human aggression and perhaps not entirely malevolent as evidenced by the existence of characters like Elysia.

A couple other examples of Herscherr power scaling is that during the 2nd eruption one that was essentially just a little girl before awakening takes humanity to the brink once more and even starts tossing chunks of moon rock at the surface and is only finally "beaten" by a gently caress ton of Honkai bombs launched at her position.
There tends to be a pattern involving Herscherr's where they're either beaten or tamed, but it comes at a cost so heavy that it tends to be a pyrrhic victory at best.

Sounds like roughly the equivalent of a Stellaron in this story then. Can possibly wipe out a planet if left alone, but modern interstellar civilizations are used to dealing with them without too much trouble. More of an annoyance than anything, and not really something anyone cares about when they have bigger threats to deal with.

Edit: Something you send a few kids to deal with on their first day at work, just to get them used to it.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 11, 2023

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

In particular a detail I liked is that in the previous era humanity won every single battle, but lost the war. Humanity defeated every herrscher, but was still wiped out aside from the handful of people who had to sleep in cryopods while the surface of the Earth was made livable again over the next 50,000 years.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

Sounds like roughly the equivalent of a Stellaron in this story then. Can possibly wipe out a planet if left alone, but modern interstellar civilizations are used to dealing with them without too much trouble. More of an annoyance than anything, and not really something anyone cares about when they have bigger threats to deal with.

Edit: Something you send a few kids to deal with on their first day at work, just to get them used to it.
Well if one of those kids is a Stellaron themself, that must give them at least even odds, right?

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrLEhla4S-Q
Actual loving achievement in a video game. When i first saw this achievement screecapped somewhere I figured it had to be a photoshop but nope. And there's people that insist that Mihoyo is steering away from any sort of otaku kink sex appeal stuff in their games. :lol:

Eimi posted:

In particular a detail I liked is that in the previous era humanity won every single battle, but lost the war. Humanity defeated every herrscher, but was still wiped out aside from the handful of people who had to sleep in cryopods while the surface of the Earth was made livable again over the next 50,000 years.

Yeah cause despite it all the Herrscher of the Finality was unbeatable until 50K years later when Kiana came along and apparently tamed/became it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I mean, you're not a Stellaron, the Stellaron has been sealed inside you and is not currently active. That's kind of what they find fascinating about you, but not too fascinating, just kinda of like "weird. cool." Something I enjoy about the story so far is the implication that March and Dan Heng (and Himeko and Welt) are just as special as the MC, we just haven't learned their deals yet. And there have been even more passengers on the Astral Express who have come and gone.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Kale posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrLEhla4S-Q
Actual loving achievement in a video game. When i first saw this achievement screecapped somewhere I figured it had to be a photoshop but nope. And there's people that insist that Mihoyo is steering away from any sort of otaku kink sex appeal stuff in their games. :lol:

I don't think anyone worth listening to has said anything like this..Is this a reddit thing or something...?

Kale
May 14, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't think anyone worth listening to has said anything like this..Is this a reddit thing or something...?

I'd label it as kind of a shitpost at this point cause it just plain doesnt check out under any sort of test. I think it goes back to when the CCP forced them to change some Mondstadt character designs in Genshin after some citizens group filed a complaint resulting in Mona and Rosaria getting their costumes altered and Jean and Amber getting cleavage covered up and there was this idea out there that it would severely impact how Mihoyo handled character designs from now on. This is of course before various characters like Yelan, Shinobu, Dehya, Candace Nilou etc came out mind you and its news to me regarding Honkai Star Rail and even some of Honkai Impact 3rds recent designs.

Ultimately they just moved their headquarters to Singapore, complied in China and just made their original costumes alternates for the global version in a utilitarian sort of approach. Generally the way it actually works is that these games like Honkai/Genshin/Azur Lane etc. come up with a design or concept for global and then work backwards from there if forced by the CCP to comply with a regulation and that becomes the China version, not the other way around, but that doesn't make for a good all encompassing censorship panic narrative.

So far it doesn't seem like the CCP is on Star Rails rear end at all yet if they ever will be. It seems like some group has to complain first and then they can go "hey see look we're doing stuff" like once or twice and then they stop giving a poo poo about some gacha game corrupting the youth or whatever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it did visibly impact a couple character designs going forward. not in major ways but dehya and shenhe received some mild adjustments.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 days!)

the daily mission kind of sucks, it doesn't even give any trailblaze experience

@ lv39 2600/4000 atm

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The daily missions are essentially 260 trailblaze exp since it gives 100 daily activity points.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Endorph posted:

it did visibly impact a couple character designs going forward. not in major ways but dehya and shenhe received some mild adjustments.

Right I forgot about the belly button thing that would probably be difficult to render in model form anyway.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

game always gives you enough daily activities you dont have to do the mission to cap out on the daily grind thing, though. personally ive never bothered with it

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

other daily activity pts can be done like instantly without even thinking about it most days, do one crux/pick a support/do 3 weakness break/use two techiques

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I haven't had any repeat dailies yet so I'm doing them just because they're more quests to do in this world. When they presumably start repeating, that'll make doing other stuff more tempting.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The daily quests are usually talking to like two NPCs and can generally be done in under two minutes anyway.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The daily missions are essentially 260 trailblaze exp since it gives 100 daily activity points.

It gives 200 points, so double that.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Some of them are pretty weird. Why exactly am I being a hired stalker? Oh because I want my daily rewards.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The best one is the one that makes you do maths problems.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Wow, that was even easier than World 3 Difficulty 2.

I love just how absurd full Preservation can get. 60k crit resonance blasts? Sure! :getin:

E: Also that one Nihility blessing was the "every time you apply a DoT, the target takes 4/6% more damage up to 4/5 times" one. Because Sampo is your buddy. :yayclod:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Not too bad, Hunt resonance bullshit is fun. Even got the achievement for landing the final blow on Cocolia with Serval.

What I find really weird is that bosses with unique themes... don't have those themes playing in SU. I wanna hear Kafka's theme again dammit!

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Some of them are pretty weird. Why exactly am I being a hired stalker? Oh because I want my daily rewards.

There are several dailies where I feel like the worst social worker. Help this woman learn to make small talk, and eventually turn her into a cliché spewing robot. Help this insufferable man make a friend by taking increasingly creepy pictures of him to show off.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

I mean, you're not a Stellaron, the Stellaron has been sealed inside you and is not currently active. That's kind of what they find fascinating about you, but not too fascinating, just kinda of like "weird. cool." Something I enjoy about the story so far is the implication that March and Dan Heng (and Himeko and Welt) are just as special as the MC, we just haven't learned their deals yet. And there have been even more passengers on the Astral Express who have come and gone.
I guess I misinterpreted the prologue the first time I saw it, then. Because what I thought happened there was that Kafka shoved the Stellaron into an empty shell to contain it, and it's the Stellaron that has a mysterious history with her, and its consciousness that you play as.

Rewatching it now, I guess it kinda does seem more like the vessel is some former associate of hers or something, yeah. Even though Silver Wolf does seem to just... create you, on the spot.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Earlier we saw Silver Wolf teleporting an enemy to some arbitrary location in space, so she can probably just pull anything out of thin air at a moment's notice? That said, when I first saw the scene I didn't really consider that stellarons might have awareness at all, but I guess later we see one whispering to Cocolia.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah I thought she created this empty shell (the player) to hold the stelleron, that holds some significant purpose to kafka

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I sometimes do the daily quest vs getting the daily points through the other means, but I wonder if there is any long term benefit, since they seem to advance a small story. Is it purely background story fluff, or at some point is there a reward beyond the 5000 credits for completing some of the story lines? I have completed a bunch of story lines without reward, so I assume it is the former. Once got stuck looking for some NPC to question in the big Herta atrium room and realized that none of the dailies are worth the potential to take 5+ minutes.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 11, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah I thought she created this empty shell (the player) to hold the stelleron, that holds some significant purpose to kafka

I guess the part of that that seems weird to me is why would a Stellaron Hunter who has already dealt with this particular one let it end up gathering dust in some scientist's museum of useless artifacts? Although I suppose the universal answer they can give is "because fate told them to."

Edit: To be completely honest, I also took "do you remember me?" to be referring to some kind of time travel because all the other memories it flashes through real quick are of things that happen later in the story. Like, it shows bits of Bellabog, etc.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 11, 2023

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

the daily mission usually takes like 3 minutes for 200 training points, i cant imagine why someone would skip it

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

beat World4, was a bit nervous since I ended up grabbing some spider eggs and got hit with a curio that increased my highest atk character by 50%, but every turn, reduce HP by 20%.

But managed to keep the constant hp drain under control.
run was a hunt+elation combo where I got the ultimates count as followup and was getting like 25k off each of Yanqing's ultimate

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Zokari posted:

the daily mission usually takes like 3 minutes for 200 training points, i cant imagine why someone would skip it

because I can also just take a photo or consume trash which is faster

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Stellaron's seem similar to a Herrscher Core, and I don't think they would've made so many obvious parallels in the first big boss fight if they didn't want us to think along those lines.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I personally am in camp MC is the stellaron, so kafka knows that, mostly because in broadstrokes that's how kiana was and it's a honkai game

BearPlayingGuitar
Nov 30, 2011

Managed to get this done ! Went by pretty smoothly once I switched out bronya for Fire trailblazer for the boss fight.

Otherwise I’ve been running hyper carry Seele with bronya instead of the MC.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Gamerofthegame posted:

I personally am in camp MC is the stellaron

Me too. I just did a sidequest last night, where your MC can remark that they were born on Herta's space station and the person you're talking to doesn't believe you. That sort of lead me to believe that Kafka made you out of the stellaron at the beginning of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zokari posted:

you only need 500, its not infinite. there's no point in doing it unless the other options somehow take longer, which they almost never do.