Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Nuclearmonkee posted:

People really really want a technological god we can pray to and throw our problems at.

Traditional gods don't seem to answer prayers in obvious ways, but the technological gestalt godhead could hear and answer your prayers.

Please fix climate change, followed by a confidently wrong response because it's been fed data by fallible humans and garbage in>garbage out.

"If only we had some kind of way to collect all the relevant scientific data about climate change, and analyze it intelligently to guide our policy. Yeah, that would be the ticket. That's clearly what's setting us back"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Trabisnikof posted:

are there any legal cases against the text to speech, speech to text, or text gen models? there are lawsuits against copilot, but since github scraped from content on their own service, that seems unlikely to shut copilot down.

and the other thing is unlike crypto, using cached content is completely viable for these companies as soon as they want to start cutting costs. it doesn't need to regenerate "politely inform the user that their insurance claims have been denied" every single time someone calls.

All the LLMs seem to have some sort of case and a number of jurisdictions are starting to demand openness on the training corpus, more are to come. These outfits are burning redic amounts of money and run on willful misunderstandings of some exceptions of copyright law, and the outputs are a mess if you want to protect them, let alone how messy the copyright on how they were made is.

StratGoatCom has issued a correction as of 20:14 on May 11, 2023

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

quote:

Managers,

I know you are reading about this change at the same time as your teams, and so I want to acknowledge that the SLT decided it was important that everyone learn about it from Satya first, and with the context he provided.
That said, I want to communicate with you now and ensure we answer your questions, so you have plenty of time to prepare for rewards.

As Satya mentioned, last year we invested substantially in rewards including doubling our merit budget to provide salary increases and increasing stock for L67 and below by at least 25%. These investments resulted in higher salaries, and higher stock ranges for employees. While we are maintaining these changes for employees going into FV24, there are some material changes for this year.

Salary:

While we will not be increasing salaries for full-time salaried employees, we are funding increases for hourly employees. Please reference the FV23 Budget Updates portion of the Manager Rewards FAQ for more details on these distinctions, and additional resources to support your discussions.

Funding Stock And Bonus This Year:

We are funding stock and bonus this year for all who are eligible, which is a substantial investment across the company.

However, as Satya noted, given the more conservative funding this year, fewer employees will be able to receive exceptional rewards, and more will need to be at the middle of the range. The distribution of rewards will vary by team, but all up, our budget does not support the same distribution as last year.

The middle of the impact slider represents successful impact. Please note that successful impact assumes an employee has consistently delivered against all expectations, likely exceeding some, and consistently met Microsoft cultural expectations and values. Successful impact is intended to convey a very strong message of value and appreciation for a job well done.

This year, we have provided additional descriptors in the tool to support your recommendations. You can learn more here. Managers will receive a mail from the Managers@Microsoft alias on May 15th once the tool is open.
message.

As managers, it is important that you own rewards messages to your team. That said, as an SLT, we wanted to provide context for everyone in the company that a more conservative budget requires harder rewards tradeoffs. You will need to decide when your rewards message should include a change in performance message, and when your rewards message needs to refer to Satya's more conservative budget

Promotion Budgets This Year:

We are maintaining promotion budgets this year to continue to support career development and advancement. Please continue to post open roles as they are available and take your time to ensure these opportunities go to the best qualified.

Next Steps:

Please join one of the manager practice sessions that are available to you through May 26th, During those sessions, you'll have an opportunity to practice determining impact and recommend rewards based on the descriptors in the tool. In the meantime, you can also check out the Manager Rewards FAQs that have been updated for today's announcement, reach out to AskHR with questions and feel free to share these FAQs with your team members, You can also refer to the manager mail from April 18th that has other helpful links and guidance to all resources.

On behalf of the SLT, I want to thank you deeply, We are so very grateful for you, and your role as a manager. Please continue to model-coach-care as you have done so well for so many years. Thank you.

Thank you for navigating a more conservative rewards budget coupled with recent workforce reductions and a challenging and dynamic environment this year. We know this is difficult yet remain confident that if we manage this short-term necessity, we will secure our long-term future as we are well positioned to drive a major platform shift in this new era of Al.

With gratitude,

Kathleen

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Morbus posted:

"If only we had some kind of way to collect all the relevant scientific data about climate change, and analyze it intelligently to guide our policy. Yeah, that would be the ticket. That's clearly what's setting us back"

*the AI does exactly that, and says we need to move away from fossil fuels and other forms of excessive consumption*

Oh wow they made this dang AI woke too wtf!

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i've said this before but they're gonna make an AI to "solve" climate change that will give them answer after answer they don't want until it finally arrives on "kill all the poor people" and then act like they had no choice because the AI said so.

McKinney better watch out then. or is being Richie Rich’s friends the point?

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/joe_cosgrove/status/1655672029142556672

Someone's gotten themselves a naaassstygram. :commissar:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

i do not miss this poo poo, hell it's been 3 years since I lost my corporate job and fuuuuck this is still so goddamn triggering lol

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

StratGoatCom posted:

All the LLMs seem to have some sort of cass a number of jurisdictions are starting to demand openness on the training corpus, more are to come. These outfits are burning redic amounts of money and run on willful misunderstandings of some exceptions of copyright law, and the outputs are a mess if you want to protect them, let alone how messy the copyright on how they were made is.

im just not as optimistic that all will actually be enough to stop "AI" from making the world worse for employees and consumers. because on paper it will shift costs from bad categories (labor) to good categories (service costs) and that's all that will matter.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Trabisnikof posted:

im just not as optimistic that all will actually be enough to stop "AI" from making the world worse for employees and consumers. because on paper it will shift costs from bad categories (labor) to good categories (service costs) and that's all that will matter.

Oh, I'm pretty sure it's gonna gently caress up a lot of things, but not from a legit perspective. When this bubble goes up, there's gonna be a lot of toys left lying around for bad actors.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

euphronius posted:

didn’t it come out this week that ai is completely dependent on labor categorizing info for it

hasn't this been obvious to everyone since reCAPTCHA launched?

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

also this article from The Verge is a reasonably good summary of all of the regulatory and copyright challenges that enterprise-scale generative models will face

Morbus
May 18, 2004

euphronius posted:

didn’t it come out this week that ai is completely dependent on labor categorizing info for it

People sometimes bring this up regarding "reinforcement learning by human feedback" or RLHF, especially as it pertains to OpenAI's models. It's partially true in some cases but for the most part it's a factoid repeated by people who don't really know what they are talking about, see also: just about every hot take on AI.

Imo it's kind of a moot point because the work involved in RLHF (or producing a LLM in general) is miniscule compared to the crystallized labor of all the books, articles, artwork, etc. that go into training it, and the bigger issue is that companies are taking that fruits of that labor--which were produced under exploitative conditions in the first place--and using it to "cheaply" replace labor in the near term regardless of how well it works or what the longer term ramifications of that are.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

It's just a billion in the hole, I'm sure she can get that back easy.

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1656749336598835208?t=GOwKYGX4mrdv7nj5gwJQ5g&s=19

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

it’s grimes

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I hope it's Laura Loomer

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
it's ARKK Cathy

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I doubt it's going to be anyone with even a scrap of business or tech legitimacy. It's going to be something far dumber, like Loomer or Elno doing the one joke: "I now identify as female. :smuggo:".

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the yahoo lady

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I mean also just LLMs often just give wrong or ridiculous answers especially if you give them leading questions. You can’t really train an AI to have a nuanced understanding of something beyond the key words it is picking up and throwing together (as well as always try to be as fortune teller vague as possible).

Usually it is good for a paragraph, maybe 2 is it gets lucky

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

spacemang_spliff posted:

basically any combination of alcohol, citrus, sugar is going to be good, maybe add something slightly bitter

This. This!!!!

Although with lime I prefer tequila or rum.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Jel Shaker posted:

the yahoo lady

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Whoever gave him a handy most recently.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

it's Elizabeth Holmes

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Jel Shaker posted:

the yahoo lady

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Sokani posted:

Whoever gave him a handy most recently.

the proud owner of a new horse

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
AI training model: Pressing the sandwich button is against the training data (we told it social programs are off limits) so I guess it's the violence button then.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

ChatGPT is the new twitter CEO

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

its grimes

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

she does have a blue check!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Jel Shaker posted:

the yahoo lady

huhahuhuhuhahahuh

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Jel Shaker posted:

the yahoo lady

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

is there a good long form youtube video some calm nerd made about how AI is bullshit that I can watch?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Egg Moron posted:

is there a good long form youtube video some calm nerd made about how AI is bullshit that I can watch?

i, robot starring will smith
detroit: become human by david cage

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

about that

https://twitter.com/bloombergasia/status/1656740722651942914

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
I thought AI turned out to be just global south tech workers propping up a glorified chat bot… The media thought this would matter then they realized that CEO’s didn’t care and it was full steam ahead for AI regardless.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

it's HRC

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Hillary
Rodham
Catturd

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Nodelphi posted:

I thought AI turned out to be just global south tech workers propping up a glorified chat bot… The media thought this would matter then they realized that CEO’s didn’t care and it was full steam ahead for AI regardless.

It's that, and stuffing bills down the toilet and massive copyright violations and copyfraud. this is a fragile bubble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nodelphi posted:

I thought AI turned out to be just global south tech workers propping up a glorified chat bot…

No, that was never remotely a thing. Some people read a headline and got confused.

For one thing the AI responses would be way more accurate if that were the case