Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I love and still get DVDs all the time

https://twitter.com/letterboxd/status/1656720306268930069?s=20

This looks awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
New-quality DVDs are fine, apart from the menus and subtitles which always look low-res and lovely.

I try to get blu ray or better, but that's mainly because of limited shelf space.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Chris James 2 posted:

I love and still get DVDs all the time

https://twitter.com/letterboxd/status/1656720306268930069?s=20

This looks awesome

gently caress this looks cool

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm getting a 4K TV soon, so I should probably know if there's a specific Ultra HD Blu-ray player to get.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

fralbjabar posted:

So long as the client you're using with plex is able to direct stream the file then there will be no difference. With a file from a blu-ray this should be basically any client, support for uhd files is much spottier and rife with bizarre compatibility issues (Xbox plex client forcing transcode from 3840x2160 to 3840x2160 because the resolution exceeds the maximum supported resolution of 3840x2160 kind of bizarre)

That's frustrating since I'm using PS5 plex and it might do similar. I'll have to check the server next time I'm using it to see if it's direct streaming or xcoding it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Xbox’s Plex app is total garbage, I regularly have issues with playback on the same network. Lots of random stuttering that I don’t get with the mobile apps or even the app on my Samsung tv.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Edward Mass posted:

I'm getting a 4K TV soon, so I should probably know if there's a specific Ultra HD Blu-ray player to get.

pwn posted:

The X700M is also wonderful and much less. And for a few dollars more, get one that's been modded to play all regions of Blu-rays and DVDs.

https://www.220-electronics.com/2017-bf-bluray/sony-ubp-x700-region-free-4k-uhd-blu-ray-player.html

Got one for my mum earlier this Summer and she's had no problems. You can also find the 800 on their site, I decided against it because my mum didn't need Dolby Atmos and that was almost $100 more.

https://www.220-electronics.com/region-free-blu-ray-players/sony-ubp-x800m2-region-free-4k-uhd-blu-ray-player-multi-region.html

Protip: Leave the tab open in your browser for a day and come back periodically and a coupon code may well pop up. I had gotten one that took $30 off (dollars, NOT percent.)

I still need to get one myself, it appears that my old faithful multi-region Blu-ray player has finally died. The PS3 is Region A locked and I got a stack of Indicators to watch.

But yes that is a great player. 220 is a very reputable site. They mod these which is why it costs more than on Amazon.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

jiffypop45 posted:

This might be something that has been answered before but it wasn't in the sticky and this thread moves surprisingly quickly.

I recently started collecting physical media but, for tv shows I usually rip it raw and plex it. However for movies which I care a lot more about quality. I wanted to know, is there a difference between watching the physical media vs a raw rip that's streamed with regards to quality?

It's better to have a huge pile of stuff everywhere instead of one small thing that holds all the same stuff and doesn't take up any space.

That is a big thing that takes up a lot of space but not as much space as a huge pile of stuff that's just all over the place.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Just checked one of my raw rips. Sad time on boats. Seems to be an issue on the PS5 as well, I can only imagine that given the lack of maturity of support for 4k things it's going to be even worse for that. Guess until I upgrade to a 5.1 system with receiver and dedicated BRD player in lieu of my soundbar/sub and PS5 I'll be depending on physical media to get the best quality to my 4k tv.

Seems to be doing the same thing on my partner's older Roku as well on a different 1080p TV. So it doesn't look like I have anything in the house that can directly stream rips.

jiffypop45 fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 11, 2023

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

CPL593H posted:

It's better to have a huge pile of stuff everywhere instead of one small thing that holds all the same stuff and doesn't take up any space.

Spoken like a true collector of vinyls

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I, Butthole posted:

Spoken like a true collector of vinyls

I own like 200 records. This isn't the venn diagram I ever wanted to be part of. :ohdear:

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I have an x700 and I like it but it does have a freeze on layer change for certain movies if that is something that’s gonna bother you.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I don't know if there's a difference between the OG and the X700M, but the X700 has hella macroblocking on some Dolby Vision discs and it apparently depends on the TV.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1656753538108649493?s=20

loving finally! It’s been like 2 years since it was announced. Let’s go! Day 1 purchase.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

BLOCKED

jiffypop45 posted:

I own like 200 records. This isn't the venn diagram I ever wanted to be part of. :ohdear:

Oh you sweet summer child.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Cries in puny 12tb collection

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

jiffypop45 posted:

Just checked one of my raw rips. Sad time on boats. Seems to be an issue on the PS5 as well, I can only imagine that given the lack of maturity of support for 4k things it's going to be even worse for that. Guess until I upgrade to a 5.1 system with receiver and dedicated BRD player in lieu of my soundbar/sub and PS5 I'll be depending on physical media to get the best quality to my 4k tv.

Seems to be doing the same thing on my partner's older Roku as well on a different 1080p TV. So it doesn't look like I have anything in the house that can directly stream rips.

For 1080 i just let plex transcode whatever it wants, but if i want direct stream from 4k's i use AppleTV with Infuse (Hardwired gigabit networking)

It's the only thing that seem to work satisfactorily for 4k, plex ends up choking like 10-20 minutes into any film. Not sure if that's the plex server side or my client plex app appletv side, but infuse works flawlessly where plex barfs on 4k for me.

1080 though? Flawless in plex

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

I've been wanting a setup like that for a while, so I can do raw rips of all my discs - couple of quick questions please: how many films and TV shows does that hold in total, what are you playing it back through, and how noisy is it?

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Carpet posted:

I've been wanting a setup like that for a while, so I can do raw rips of all my discs - couple of quick questions please: how many films and TV shows does that hold in total, what are you playing it back through, and how noisy is it?

Total capacity can be extrapolated by just dividing the numbers below by the TBs used, then multiplying by the total space in that first screenshot

Volume 1 - Movies:
~3000 Blu Ray rips + a small handful of DVD rips that aren't out on BR, less than 100.
(68.4 TB)

Volume 2 - TV Shows, 4K Movies
~100 4K rips
(5.89 TB)
??? TV Shows
(8.22 TB)

Volume 1 is the main library of movies (blu + DVD rares)
Volume 2 is TV + 4K movies (separate library since they can't go thru plex)

Playback is thru AppleTVs using Plex for 1080 or less, and Infuse for 4k (direct stream via gigabit hardline networking)

The drive arrays are in my office, i can't hear them sitting at my desk. My hearing isn't 100% though. Still it's rather quiet. I'd prolly just check the specs for whatever nas enclosure you're looking at.

Sniep fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 12, 2023

pwn
May 27, 2004

Carpet posted:

Back of the napkin, if a UHD h265 file is 50-100 gb, that means 10-20 or more per TB. So whatever times 10 is the absolute minimum but more likely times 20.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

pwn posted:

Back of the napkin, if a UHD h265 file is 50-100 gb, that means 10-20 or more per TB. So whatever times 10 is the absolute minimum but more likely times 20.

Front of the napkin:

code:
James@JamesStorage:/tmp$ ll /volume1/Movies > /tmp/out1
James@JamesStorage:/tmp$ cat out1 |awk '$5 >= 8000000000' >out2
James@JamesStorage:/tmp$ cat out2 |wc -l && cat out2 |awk -F" " '{total += $5} END {print total/NR/1024/1024/1024}'
James@JamesStorage:/tmp$ ll /volume2/Movies\ 4K/ > /tmp/out1
James@JamesStorage:/tmp$ cat out1 |awk '$5 >= 8000000000' >out2
James@JamesStorage:/tmp$ cat out2 |wc -l && cat out2 |awk -F" " '{total += $5} END {print total/NR/1024/1024/1024}'
In my sample size of 2,933 Blu Ray movie direct rips, they average 23.7982 GB, and of 102 4K UltraHD rips, average 59.1736 GB

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Sniep posted:

For 1080 i just let plex transcode whatever it wants, but if i want direct stream from 4k's i use AppleTV with Infuse (Hardwired gigabit networking)

It's the only thing that seem to work satisfactorily for 4k, plex ends up choking like 10-20 minutes into any film. Not sure if that's the plex server side or my client plex app appletv side, but infuse works flawlessly where plex barfs on 4k for me.

1080 though? Flawless in plex

Internet in various places tells me if I want maximum compatibility for direct streaming I have to use an Nvidia shield and I don't care enough to have to switch every time I want to plex and am happy to just deal with this.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

jiffypop45 posted:

Internet in various places tells me if I want maximum compatibility for direct streaming I have to use an Nvidia shield and I don't care enough to have to switch every time I want to plex and am happy to just deal with this.

I do not think that is correct information anymore.

the apple tv 4k is fully compat with dolby vision, atmos, all the goodies. Plex just struggles i think because of my plex server not being beefy enough. Infuse is just straight pipe thru (without having to relay thru my plex server) and does all the goodies with my LG 77" C2 OLED tv.

I don't recall what it was that the shield used to do that was unique/better, but i dont think it's been the preferred one in a while.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Boywhiz88 posted:

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1656753538108649493?s=20

loving finally! It’s been like 2 years since it was announced. Let’s go! Day 1 purchase.

Has this movie been spoofed or something? I know nothing about it but the name feels super familiar to me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Oh drat I'm pleasantly surprised that To Live and Die in L.A. is actually getting released in July, I thought it was gonna be indefinitely delayed. Didn't we hear that Friedkin was giving them poo poo about it for some reason?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kingtheninja posted:

Has this movie been spoofed or something? I know nothing about it but the name feels super familiar to me.

Are you confusing it with Once Upon a Time in Hollywood or Live and Let Die or something?

To Live and Die in LA is one of the most essential '80s movies ever made, it's a stone-cold classic.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Maybe "Born in East L.A" the comedy with Cheech Marin.

pwn
May 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/yuri_librarian/status/1656732343250591744

Just in case.

Ghostse.cx
May 5, 2023

by Games Forum

TheMopeSquad posted:

Maybe "Born in East L.A" the comedy with Cheech Marin.

4k when?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The hierarchy of power in the Dark Universe is about to change.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1657056789404217347

e:
My 4x8TB storage is ~90% full, should I start planning for expansion, or I can ignore DSM warnings for now?

ringu0 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 12, 2023

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

ringu0 posted:

My 4x8TB storage is ~90% full, should I start planning for expansion, or I can ignore DSM warnings for now?

Uh, are you planning on adding content?

There's an unavoidable brick wall when you upgrade your pool size if you were going to swap disks from 8tbs to 14/16tbs ... just the parity striping process to rebuild the array each disk at a time takes forever - can take over a day per disk. So factor that in if you're going to have an emergency "oh crap time to grow this array immediately"

When i grew my main storage array from 8x8tbs to 8x14tbs it took me about 2 weeks to complete it.

Or, if your NAS supports it, just throw on an expansion unit, but that's not on all of them.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I have no problem grabbing a full image or remux that I would have made myself in handbrake anyway but on a much faster internet connection than my ripping drive I/O. If that's ethically grey, paint me like an elephant cuz that poo poo is way more convenient when populating a NAS then wasting time doing what has already been done

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Personally I think one of the benefits of physical media is that I don't have to worry about hard drive space.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Gripweed posted:

Personally I think one of the benefits of physical media is that I don't have to worry about hard drive space.

100% valid.

I just can't get over the convenience. I set out to emulate the Kaleidescape experience on the cheap and this is it for me.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Sniep posted:

Uh, are you planning on adding content?

There's an unavoidable brick wall when you upgrade your pool size if you were going to swap disks from 8tbs to 14/16tbs ... just the parity striping process to rebuild the array each disk at a time takes forever - can take over a day per disk. So factor that in if you're going to have an emergency "oh crap time to grow this array immediately"

When i grew my main storage array from 8x8tbs to 8x14tbs it took me about 2 weeks to complete it.

Or, if your NAS supports it, just throw on an expansion unit, but that's not on all of them.

Yeah, eventually, so I guess that's the answer to my question, too. Thanks, I haven't considered an expansion unit. I was thinking of just buying another one.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Sniep posted:

100% valid.

I just can't get over the convenience. I set out to emulate the Kaleidescape experience on the cheap and this is it for me.

Yeah i prefer discs but there are a few instances where ripping would be nice, mainly in TV. Like I would rather watch these old cartoons as a group rather than all one show at once.

And getting up to switch discs between each show is no bueno

Or recreating that classic NBC Thursday night lineup, again, without switching discs

I do love having these on disc, it's a good backup (I don't lose all my movies and TV shows and music if I drop them).

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

There was an episode from the original run of Family Guy called "To Live & Die in Dixie" if that's what you're thinking of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostse.cx
May 5, 2023

by Games Forum

pwn posted:

Yeah i prefer discs but there are a few instances where ripping would be nice, mainly in TV. Like I would rather watch these old cartoons as a group rather than all one show at once.

And getting up to switch discs between each show is no bueno

Or recreating that classic NBC Thursday night lineup, again, without switching discs

I do love having these on disc, it's a good backup (I don't lose all my movies and TV shows and music if I drop them).

:same:

Even switching between shows on streaming services is inconvenient.

Some years ago I used to dream of being able to put all my TV DVDs on a server, so that I could watch a playlist of shows rather than a block of a single show.

Now I'm just too lazy to do it.