Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

zoux posted:

If you had to say how these things worked "irl", how do you envision it? You got Picard speaking French and Riker speaking English and Troi speaking Betazoid and somehow the UTs in their commbadges are both cancelling out the sound from their mouths while replaying it through a speaker on the badge, is how it seems like it must work. But then, what about lip flap? Is living in 24c. Federation like living in a badly dubbed 1970s kung fu movie?

Miniature holographic fields covering their mouths to reflect the translated languages.

Although that might explain why Troi sounded more like Marina Sirtis than Troi in Picard Season 3 - she changed the default voice on her translator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Honestly, that's not as far fetched as it sounds.

Google just showed off auto video lip sync as well as tonal matching for translations just yesterday. They are even calling it universal translator.

https://www.xda-developers.com/universal-translator-ai-videos/

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

zoux posted:

That reminds me, how does the universal translator know when you are intending to speak in a different language when a character goes "My people have a saying" and not translate that. Does the universal translator have a dramatic license detector?

The same way it knows when an English speaker intends to include the listener or not when saying "we're going to 10 forward" to someone who has the inclusive/exclusive distinction. Or how it just inserts where the speaker got his information (personal experience/secondary source/deduction) in case the listener has that in their language.
Also the same way it manages to translate all double entendres in a way that makes sense.

I guess if it really was to work, it would probably just skip the recipient's ears and insert the coded information straight into their brain. Still weird, but at least it doesn't have to invent information that's not part of the message.

Obviously, the real reason is "very well, thank you" because there's only so many stories you can tell where not speaking the same language adds to it.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Universal translator keeps saying Nova-class starships "don't go" :xd:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I watched Voyager Endgame yesterday for the first time in years, and jeez Louise it ends even more abruptly than I remember. I think there are literally 90 seconds of screentime with them back at Earth before the end credits roll.

One thing always confused me - how did they end up inside the Borg sphere? The editing is just really confusing and makes no sense.

Another thing I've thought of recently is the CGI in Enterprise - I'm not sure if it's art direction or lighting or whatever but it seems often worse than DS9 and Voyager, which hold up reasonably well for 90s TV.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

CPColin posted:

Universal translator keeps saying Nova-class starships "don't go" :xd:

There should be a Lemon-class starship.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
What's up with the Nova class-- I feel like it being so tiny is conducive to so many nerds online having fantasies about it?

It's the ship that I see the most like fan man floor / deck plans of.

... not like I scour the internet for fan made deck plans of Trek starships every so often...

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Its named after the squadron.

USS Locarno is the lead ship.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

jeeves posted:

What's up with the Nova class-- I feel like it being so tiny is conducive to so many nerds online having fantasies about it?

It's the ship that I see the most like fan man floor / deck plans of.

... not like I scour the internet for fan made deck plans of Trek starships every so often...

It's the replacement for the Galaxy as a primary exploration ship, and it's got some issues with the official blueprints from a quick look at the memory alpha page. so that means there's lore nerds who want to make a fixed version, and people who have one in STO/fanfiction/tabletop RPGs also making their own copies. it kind of just hit perfectly to be the ship everyone wants to make their own version of.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Arivia posted:

It's the replacement for the Galaxy as a primary exploration ship, and it's got some issues with the official blueprints from a quick look at the memory alpha page. so that means there's lore nerds who want to make a fixed version, and people who have one in STO/fanfiction/tabletop RPGs also making their own copies. it kind of just hit perfectly to be the ship everyone wants to make their own version of.

It was also almost the Defiant.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

It's the replacement for the Galaxy as a primary exploration ship,

Wait what, I thought it was the replacement for the Oberth

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tighclops posted:

Wait what, I thought it was the replacement for the Oberth

from M-A: "According to Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual, the Nova-class is the successor of the Galaxy-class starship as the next primary explorer ship of Starfleet. Four different concept designs were presented on pages 177 and 178. The direction the actual Nova-class eventually followed was the down-sized ship with less internal volume that allowed each ship to be refitted for specific mission types and an angular-curvilinear shape designed to allow an enhanced utilization of warp energy."

(other sources may disagree)

ah yep, a couple paragraphs later: "According to the Star Trek: Starship Spotter, the Nova-class became the replacement to the Oberth-class as a research and science ship. The ship was equipped with only two cargo management units and two shuttlecraft. The phaser arrays were classified as type X, the same as the Galaxy and Intrepid-class phasers. The ship had a mass of 110,000 metric tons."

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

from M-A: "According to Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual, the Nova-class is the successor of the Galaxy-class starship as the next primary explorer ship of Starfleet. Four different concept designs were presented on pages 177 and 178. The direction the actual Nova-class eventually followed was the down-sized ship with less internal volume that allowed each ship to be refitted for specific mission types and an angular-curvilinear shape designed to allow an enhanced utilization of warp energy."

ah yep, a couple paragraphs later: "According to the Star Trek: Starship Spotter, the Nova-class became the replacement to the Oberth-class as a research and science ship. The ship was equipped with only two cargo management units and two shuttlecraft. The phaser arrays were classified as type X, the same as the Galaxy and Intrepid-class phasers. The ship had a mass of 110,000 metric tons."

Oh yeah I remember that bit from the tech manual now, seems weird that their big Explorer class ship would go from being a flying city to a little Putt-Putt machine like the Nova though

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think you could make the case that in the TNG era, the federation was at peace and focused on its mission of exploration, so the flagship was a big exploration ship. Then as TNG goes on and VOY/DS9 startup we see a resurgence of threats from the Borg and Dominion and others, so it becomes more militaristic, and the flagship is more of a fighter than an explorer. Starfleet is still exploring, but not as many resources are devoted to it. So whereas in the past they'd send a Galaxy class full of scientists on a mission and explore/chart/measure the crap out of a new system, maybe now they have to send a smaller Nova class to do a less thorough job.

Or the editors made a mistake and said Galaxy when they meant Oberth.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Arivia posted:

They just used the name for a different thing. The eventual Nova is definitely not intended to be a Galaxy successor.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Considering how in PIC S1 the Soong colony was hidden away in a badly explored sector right next to a major fleet base considering how quickly they got there, there could be a position for Nova-class small exploration ship that just scans and checks the nearby uncharted systems and fills the gaps in the star charts.

If it encounters anything more dangerous than some random idiots launching probes to nearby planets while aiming nuclear weapons at itself, it can run away or throw a distress beacon and get the big boys called in.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Der Kyhe posted:

Considering how in PIC S1 the Soong colony was hidden away in a badly explored sector right next to a major fleet base considering how quickly they got there, there could be a position for Nova-class small exploration ship that just scans and checks the nearby uncharted systems and fills the gaps in the star charts.

I think the more likely occurrence is that those ships in the Picard season 1 finale traveled at the speed of plot, rather than anything more carefully considered.

Other great examples: in Star Trek 09, the Enterprise arrives at the Narada about 15 seconds after the rest of the fleet, which is already in ruin.

And Into Darkness, why, Kronos is a mere 2 minute jaunt away!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Warp speed has always been plot dependent. If they can't get somewhere in time, it's for plot reasons not physics reasons.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There's meant to have been a new generation of warp tech in Picard that's much faster, that's why all the ships except the Enterprise-D use the blue lines warp tunnel and get around in barely any time but the old engines on the D use the TNG style star streaks.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

zoux posted:

The whole thing makes no sense of course but it's much better than spending 90% of every episode on translation issues.

If you had to say how these things worked "irl", how do you envision it? You got Picard speaking French and Riker speaking English and Troi speaking Betazoid and somehow the UTs in their commbadges are both cancelling out the sound from their mouths while replaying it through a speaker on the badge, is how it seems like it must work. But then, what about lip flap? Is living in 24c. Federation like living in a badly dubbed 1970s kung fu movie?

Universal translators are in comm badges? I thought they were installed in their heads, is that just Ferengi? UT in the comm badge seems like it would lead to problems considering how often people aren't wearing them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ferengi generally have them in their ear canals. Starfleet has them in the badges.

But yeah everyone on the bridge and working on the ship is usually speaking Federation Standard, aka future English. Picard slips into French occasionally to get a swear past the censors.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 12, 2023

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I feel like I'm now going to start noticing every time someone doesn't have a comm badge on

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Ferengi generally have them in their ear canals. Starfleet has them in the badges.

But yeah everyone on the bridge and working on the ship is usually speaking Federation Standard. Picard slips into French occasionally to get a swear past the censors.

But how does the translator know not to translate merde!?!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

zoux posted:

It's the one language it can't recognise.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

zoux posted:

Picard had a very, very stern speech with the AI that runs the translator.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MikeJF posted:

But yeah everyone on the bridge and working on the ship is usually speaking Federation Standard, aka future English. Picard slips into French occasionally to get a swear past the censors.

Discovery also showed it being in the old flip communicators, which was actually kind of cool.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Is there a specific point in TNG where DS9 starts or do you just start alternating episodes at the start of season 6?

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
What about people who aren't in StarFleet? I don't think I ever see regular Federation citizens wearing comm badges. Where are their universal translators?

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
If I were in the Federation I would drop the gold-pressed latinum to get one of the ear universal translators because even if I had a comm badge I know I'd just forget it constantly.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Trixie Hardcore posted:

What about people who aren't in StarFleet? I don't think I ever see regular Federation citizens wearing comm badges. Where are their universal translators?
I assume you'd have a bangle or an earpiece or something if you're in a position to need it. If you're only speaking to people with no common language through the computer, the computer can do it. The computer can probably automatically dub or sub your Tellarite animes.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Nvm

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Boxturret posted:

Is there a specific point in TNG where DS9 starts or do you just start alternating episodes at the start of season 6?

I think it depends on how you want to watch them. I’m just about to start a watch by airdate and that has Emissary right after Chain of Command pt 2
http://startreklist.blogspot.com/2011/04/list-of-all-star-trek-episodes-sorted_05.html

I also found several chronological watch lists while looking for that.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Boxturret posted:

https://startrekviewingguide.com/ has all the TNG, DS9 and VOY episodes listed in in-setting chronological order; in the real world, DS9 started between S6E11 and S6E12, then DS9's S2 episodes were six days after TNG S7's

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Comm Pins are apparently common; Picard had a Picard family crest one and Rios had a La Sirena one. They're a lot smaller than Starfleet badges, probably have less features. You can just replicate them in any shape, Rios popped out some spares for Picard and crew. I bet a bunch of people just have them as rings or bracelets or nipple piercings or whatever they want.

And Dahj carried a larger communicator that was her comm but could also pop out a holo-interface.

Trixie Hardcore posted:

If I were in the Federation I would drop the gold-pressed latinum to get one of the ear universal translators because even if I had a comm badge I know I'd just forget it constantly.

You can probably just walk up to the nearest public replicator and get a new commpin instantly when you forget, but I'm sure you can get one in your ear for free if you want.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 12, 2023

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Don't think too much about the universal translators. That way lies madness. The TNG tech manual stuff said it was in the badges, and but then Quark et. al. don't wear badges, so they had to come up with the workaround that it's something hidden in their ears. In TOS it was a standalone device that looked like a lightsaber.

Presumably "modern" Trek environments have it bundled in every computer speaker everywhere so whenever anyone's on a starship or similar they don't need to have their badge on.

Arivia posted:

Yeah the tech manual Nova-class designs don't have much in common with the eventual Nova, and are clearly just something some concept artist threw together real quick as alternate starships without much thought behind the concept. Apparently one of the Galaxy-class successors was going to be a tug.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I do like the newer shows/films playing with the translator a little. Like the one Disco episode with the sphere, or the aforementioned one where Burnham uses her comm to translate to the Klingons, or in SNW when the comm officer has to tell Pike that 'Shepherd' is just how the UT is processing what the aliens call themselves. Or in Beyond, with the lady Edison sends to lure the Enterprise in.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The idea of the tug was that they would dock on modules for missions as needed, so you'd have the Astronomy module, the Cultural Studies module, etc. I assume there would also be war modules for when it's time to ride historic.

I guess the in-universe stuff makes it make sense that they've not been very experimental with shipbuilding lately.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh got this illustration hosed me up so bad when I was a kid, what is that last design, is it 100 links long like a giant space centipede

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nessus posted:

The idea of the tug was that they would dock on modules for missions as needed, so you'd have the Astronomy module, the Cultural Studies module, etc. I assume there would also be war modules for when it's time to ride historic.

That was also the idea with the segmented saucer on the lower left, that modules could be swapped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Boxturret posted:

There are guides available if you want exact broadcast order or in-universe chronological order, but honestly it doesn't matter that much. There are a few crossovers and cameo appearances, but each show is doing its own independent thing. There's no back-and-forth storyline that you'd need to worry about getting in the correct order.

So follow a guide, or alternate shows, or do a coin flip every time, or whatever you feel like. It'll be fine.