Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm not as sure about the "can largely be attributed to" there, since it was the most profitable (half) year that Gundam ever had even before Witch was ever released beyond the preview episode. In fact, the model kit sales were "only" 400 million yen better for the back half (with Witch kits) than they were in the front half (without), and kits made up less than half of Gundam's sales worldwide.

Numbers are all there in black and white. Witch seems to have boosted Gunpla sales even more than Bandai expected back in January, and HG Aerial is a crazy success, but the whole brand was overperforming dramatically.

I'm kind of curious where the bulk of the IP sales come from, honestly. I suspect that gacha games make up a bigger chunk of the cash than is healthy (Dragon Ball making much more than Gundam in total while selling far less merch encourages that theory) but even the detailed data doesn't go that deep into the weeds.
Okay, I genuinely don't mean to be rude, and I don't want you to take this in a weird way, but why do you only do this when G-Witch is involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

Okay, I genuinely don't mean to be rude, and I don't want you to take this in a weird way, but why do you only do this when G-Witch is involved.

Because it’s the currently running Gundam show?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

idk its just weird that literally anytime someone says 'g-witch is pretty successful' the graphs have to get busted out. i dont remember that happening with any other airing gundam show except in the context of like, broader series-wise financial discussions

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Also like the graphs and numbers support it as being successful too!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Endorph posted:

idk its just weird that literally anytime someone says 'g-witch is pretty successful' the graphs have to get busted out. i dont remember that happening with any other airing gundam show except in the context of like, broader series-wise financial discussions

I feel like there's one or two very specific reasons most people are weird about G-Witch online

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If y’all are accusing Chiasaur of something just come right out and say it

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
They like to use numbers when talking about things. :toughguy:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

chiasaur has busted out the viewership numbers and kit sales for basically every series when the subject of its popularity was ever discussed in the general Gundam thread, IIRC.

And that's a subject that keeps coming up here since, well, G-Witch is the most viewed series in about 20 years, its kit sales have been record-breaking and the franchise is making more bank than ever before.

That's the generous reading, at least.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Chiasaur is the guy from Roman Triumphs, whispering "remember you are mortal"

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

There’s also a weird thing going on where he goes out of his way to either spin or interpret stats that are either ambiguous or straight up positive as negative which frankly implies that something weird is going on beyond just a guy who wants to present the numbers and keep us all honest.

Sam Sanskrit fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 11, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Was chiasaur around for IBO, the last gundam show? I didn't watch that as it aired so idk

But yeah chiasaur busting out the numbers is not new for chiasaur in any conversation from my limited experience, but it does seem to come up with gwitch more often than other topics. presumably because gwitch gets talked about much more as a currently airing show so there's more opportunities.

Also I think it pretty inarguably was colored early on by his dislike for the show but I don't think it's because of the implication that he's homophobic, personally.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ninjewtsu posted:

Was chiasaur around for IBO, the last gundam show? I didn't watch that as it aired so idk

I don't know, and I don't recall whether the discussion used graphs at the time but there was definitely questioning of ratings numbers, home media sales, Gunpla sales etc for both IBO and G-Reco; here and online generally. I'm pretty sure there was some for AGE and Build Fighters as the first of that new style of show that leaned more into the toyetics of Gundam too.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

If y’all are accusing Chiasaur of something just come right out and say it

He's a misogynist weirdo and posts bad

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i'm not sure i've gotten that sense from any of chiasaur's posts aside from a weird agenda against gwitch that has like 80% vanished since the end of s1

maybe i'm not sensitive enough to the topic but also i certainly hope there's more to it than disliking gwitch when it came out

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Endorph posted:

I work in data analytics/analysis, and the devil really is in the details. People do have a tendency of projecting what they want to see in the data onto data without doing the necessary QA/QC to ensure that what you are seeing is, indeed, an effect of [what you want to see] being the case.

It's frustrating because, as a publicly-facing financial document, it really is light on the details needed to be able to tease out what's causing the rise in profitability of the Gundam IP. Just under half of the profit can be explained by toys and hobby (i.e., Gunpla) with where the rest of the profit is coming from being extremely nebulous. If one is thinking gacha might be involved, it is worth noting that digital network content/home video is still exceedingly profitable for BamCo, and it is worth noting that video games are only slightly less profitable a full fiscal year after Elden Ring dropped on the world.

Regardless - has there been a steady upward trend in profitability for Gundam? Absolutely. Is G-Witch a part of that? For certain. Can it all be entirely explained by the debut of G-Witch? ...Not really. We'd need to see a lot more in order to make a conclusive statement like that.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

LuiCypher posted:

Regardless - has there been a steady upward trend in profitability?

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Pushed button, got kettle drums and brass. That answer your question?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Arc Hammer posted:

the orchestra was just the tools.
yeah, they're british, so

haypliss posted:

This is still a case where they'd have to do extra licensing work, because the 2016 English release of Zeta did not have the original songs.
the year 2019 occurred after the year 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

TenementFunster posted:

Richie Kotzen isn't british tho.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-X4gQ0o1Wg

I think he got some Char on his Quattro, however.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
stop trolling me

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

TenementFunster posted:

stop trolling me

Let the English flow through you.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

NikkolasKing posted:

Also just wanna share another orchestrated Gundam song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXOZHLPULxU
hell yeah lets share our Weird Gundam Remixes instead of pretending that Ritchie Kotzen is real
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hBpMEzwBE0

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, there's andrew wk instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui31veapkcs

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e8zUqP8yu4

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I miss the Barzam video since it became unlisted.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i knew one of you jokers was gonna pull this poo poo on me

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

I miss the Barzam video since it became unlisted.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/431443427817685002/1081865880000020551/barzam.mp4

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Beautiful

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hell yeah

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

TenementFunster posted:

the year 2019 occurred after the year 2016

Yes...? The point being they are using a Zeta release from before whatever song licensing you're talking about, so CR would have to do extra work to include those songs that were not a part of the existing release, which they are just slapping up on their site. I wouldn't ever hold my breath for them to do something like that when minimal cost/effort is the other option.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldwcWT-oWVM

best version of char ga kuru

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Endorph posted:

Sales and ratings data stuff is interesting on a trivia level and it's always been kind of present, there used to be a bunch of sites tracking ratings and media sales in years past that have eventually faded away, but it gets kind of weird when people start taking it entirely too seriously.

Someone just recently said something along the lines of "why would they bother making more Gundam Seed related stuff when it sold badly". Really?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Some half-remembered thing I seem to recall reading in an article once is that Seed moved a lot more character-based merch at the time than usual for a Gundam show even if it didn't move tons of gunpla.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think there can be perfectly valid reasons to dislike G Witch without assuming that a person is homophobic or misogynistic and they're just pointing to sales and receipts as justification for being mad that a girl is the protagonist.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

This rocks

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Arc Hammer posted:

I think there can be perfectly valid reasons to dislike G Witch without assuming that a person is homophobic or misogynistic and they're just pointing to sales and receipts as justification for being mad that a girl is the protagonist.

Sales data and such is also interesting to consider just because it can give some indication of how the success or failure of a given show could impact things going forward for the franchise broadly. The more of a sales juggernaut G-Witch is, the greater the chance the next show has more prominent female characters, more explicitly/normalized homosexual characters etc. for example. It could also influence whether the franchise tells more stories about self aware mobile suits, corporate warfare over national warfare and so on too. I don't know how much that's likely to be the case based solely on one data point, but someone with a more informed perspective could probably make a better estimation. The home media seemed to be doing pretty well by current standards too, if I recall.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Well, if you assume that someone's a misogynist, you don't have to actually think about their arguments. It makes life much easier.

I was here for IBO, but the data was trickier to get at. Having week-to-week for G-Witch, in addition to having found sources for wider trends and cross series data means I post about it more.

I'll admit that my disappointment with the show makes me follow the data more closely and look into the details more, mind. It has episodes like Shall We Gundam and What They Wish For that seem like, that's it, the show has some ground under its feet, it's going to get rolling and be really solid, and then it doesn't follow through, and that makes it more frustrating to watch than much worse shows like Kyoukai Senki. Hate comes from love and that, and the times Witch almost makes me love it have the counterweight fall harder.

(And, you know. Some of it is stylistic preference. Ichiro Okouchi has a tendency away from naturalism that works for me in shows like Lupin, but it clashes with the setting's attempts at realism in a way that distracts me from the plot.)

But, and this is petty as all hell, the main reason I keep bringing up the numbers is how I see them abused when I don't. I try to find data, and I even try to give some airtime to data that doesn't fit my narrative. (For example, bringing up the spike in Gunpla sales over Bandai's expectations in the post that started this whole damned tangent, and how those were almost assuredly Witch kits selling very well). Meanwhile, when I don't get involved, I find people claiming that Witch is the most watched Gundam series since SEED, despite live numbers that don't even chart on Video Research any more, and youtube numbers that still haven't matched the first episode of SD Gundam World Heroes. (That's not even much of an insult, to be clear. SD Gundam World Heroes just has an absurdly popular premier on Gundam Info. I don't understand it either.) It makes me feel like I should point aggressively at the bad numbers, just to provide some counterweight. (Especially when the same numbers that people are claiming make Witch a hit are worse than numbers some of the same people used to claim IBO was a flop.)

Again, Witch is a success. Divers had much worse ratings and sold fewer kits, and it still was a big enough hit for Bandai to make a sequel. But it's not the hit that I see people claiming, either, and acting like the only reason someone could doubt it is ulterior motives just makes me think less of the people making those claims.

(gently caress's sake, I saw people acting like Bandai planned to do a recap only five episodes in. I love Nier and 86, but that doesn't mean I have to pretend their massive production delays were some 12D masterstroke. Sometimes good productions stumble. No harm in admitting it.)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I don't know that "G-Witch isn't doing numbers on youtube" is really much of a meaningful point, considering that youtube isn't the primary streaming release point for a substantial part of the world. In the US gundaminfo still hasn't even started releasing season 2.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

I don't know that "G-Witch isn't doing numbers on youtube" is really much of a meaningful point, considering that youtube isn't the primary streaming release point for a substantial part of the world. In the US gundaminfo still hasn't even started releasing season 2.

Fair enough. I just didn't want to get into trying to figure out what Crunchyroll numbers meant for overseas discussion, so I stuck to the youtube numbers as something easy to find and concrete for a quick point of comparison.

I mostly just wanted to talk about how weirdly high SD Gundam World Heroes's views were, if I'm honest. It still confuses me, and I didn't want to be alone in that just because I'm nearly alone in watching that thing through to its conclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I think, maybe, we shouldn't instantly jump to "This person is misogynist" as an explanation for something.