Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
https://twitter.com/YanzhongHuang/status/1656980818626002944?t=J6oCVhYeecjiDhwb8ed2LA&s=19

This is the third time they've run this story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
wow china had years of excess savings also?!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

The Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) is an independent, nonpartisan membership organization, think tank, and publisher dedicated to being a resource for its members, government officials, business executives, journalists, educators and students, civic and religious leaders, and other interested citizens in order to help them better understand the world and the foreign policy choices facing the United States and other countries. Founded in 1921, CFR takes no institutional positions on matters of policy.

Press X to doubt.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

Koirhor posted:

wow china had years of excess savings also?!

two daily affirmations:

- the consumers have excess savings

- the banking system is real, strong, and my friend

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

biceps crimes posted:

it's Elizabeth Holmes

You mean Liz Holmes, who is rebranding herself as a mom. Will it work?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

low prices

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the problem with "people would have had excess savings throughout COVID" is that even if people were doing whatever severity and grade of lockdown you think they were doing in your mind's eye, not having COVID just means redirecting your spending towards something else

that would be true everywhere, but especially China, where having suppressed COVID for a long as it did meant that people lived relatively free lives

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
every dollar I would of spent on gas/lunch/bars has gone into my house for the past 3 1/2 years

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Ideally nobody would have any savings and 100% of your wages would go back into the economy to make number happier.

If you have an emergency it's okay. Number doesn't mind. Just make up your quota next week plus your missed hours this week, plus late penalties. Plus interest.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Don't leave number unhappy though. That's how you get langoliers.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

At what point do we get to the cool part where I can pledge service to Uther Pendragon as the empire collapses?

Watching the system break down while the media and political class plod along unchanging is exhausting.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

At what point do we get to the cool part where I can pledge service to Uther Pendragon as the empire collapses?

Watching the system break down while the media and political class plod along unchanging is exhausting.

You know you'll get stuck in service to the Ford dynasty

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
people have excess savings, excess balances on their credit cards, excess credit score that could further be exploited

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

How's the economy doing?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Raccooon posted:

How's the economy doing?

perfect, just like it’s always been

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Raccooon posted:

How's the economy doing?

the one for the working class or the one for the rich?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
All economies are beautiful

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

:wrong:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Paradoxish posted:

finally, some real inclusiveness in cspam

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

china's financial system RUINED in 1d4 months

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

thank you for your service lpzie

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Koirhor posted:

every dollar I would of spent on gas/lunch/bars has gone into my house for the past 3 1/2 years

Yep, and now I have a sweet home entertainment setup so I don't need to go to theaters anymore and a much improved suite of cooking equipment and knowledge so I don't need to go out to eat and wait a second

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Yo just curious am I the only one who plays "guess the shrike post" lol

I feel like my success average is pretty high, like 60-70%

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Taima posted:

A better game is making posts that you know will attract shrike like a kind of bat signal

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

DancingShade posted:

Honestly once you go down the traditional South African biltong rabbit hole you'll never want another type of snack food.

Give me biltong, give me drywors, give me jerky or give me death. It won't be my death though. I've eaten enough meat to make sure of that.

Won't make you fat either if you're burning all that energy through exercise.

ah yes, biltong, exactly what a caribou carcass smells and tastes like if left out in the sun for a week

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Taima posted:

recently they seem to be equal combinations of stories about how him and his 40 year old friends who never need to ever work again, and then remembering nobody gives a gently caress about that and trying to smooth things out with topical news

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

biltong ftw

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Taima posted:

the name.is right there. It's not very difficult

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Raccooon posted:

How's the economy doing?

the preacher man says it's the end of time. he says that america's rivers are going dry. the interest is up. stock market's down.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ghostse.cx posted:

Sometimes I feel like I'm insane with everyone gushing over ChatGPT and it's ilk lately. It's just mashing poo poo together into something that appears coherent, there's no thought or experience behind it.

The business world runs on the minimum viable product, and if you get costs low enough trash tier quality might not matter.

Also every single business dreams of replacing every single person with anything that's cheaper.

ChatGPT being objectively poo poo won't keep capitalism from widespread adoption of it because the sudden saving that quarter could be big.

I think it's hilarious, can't wait to watch it happen.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

the prospect of AI (along with price-gouging energy & consumer essential corps) seems to be what's keeping Number on life support

FT posted:

SocGen is now arguing that even those estimates underplay the impact.

The French bank’s analysts find that without the gains of stocks that are possible AI winners, the S&P 500 would now be down 2 per cent this year, rather than up 8 per cent.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

AI is also a big mystery box right now, just like "blockchain" was a few years ago. Everyone can say they're making an AI product. Everyone can say that AI is going to revolutionize their business model. No one who's listening (or even the people who are saying those things) have any idea what any of it means, so it's all very exciting.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

webcams for christ posted:

the prospect of AI (along with price-gouging energy & consumer essential corps) seems to be what's keeping Number on life support

good thesis:

https://twitter.com/lopezlinette/status/1655610926710521856

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

That's not remotely the same thing as the Mechanical Turk poo poo certain people have decided is happening

one of the stranger mandela effects that I've seen a lot on SA and twitter is this idea that Amazon mechanical turk was marketed as a 100% computer-powered AI tool and amazon was later caught in a lie when people found out that it was just people in bangladesh getting paid pennies per hour

it was always marketed as humans getting paid pennies! that's why it was called Mechanical Turk. it would have been very strange for Amazon to call their fake AI "mechanical turk" when the original mechanical turk was a fake AI powered by humans

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Vox Nihilli is criticizing other posters who he accuses of believing that LLMs work like Amazon Mechanical Turk, i.e. powered by underpaid humans

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
yeah, i'm not calling out Vox Nihili, just commenting on a strange misconception i often see

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

That is super loving weird since back in the day SA even had threads about how to abuse MT for mad monies ($10/hr)

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
choosing a random post via the search function, for instance (sorry azuth0667, not trying to pick on you):

Azuth0667 posted:

Wasn't mechanical turk called AI until people discovered they were paying people sub minimum wage to cold call and do data entry?

i guess it goes to show the level of distrust people have in amazon

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Aglet56 posted:

one of the stranger mandela effects that I've seen a lot on SA and twitter is this idea that Amazon mechanical turk was marketed as a 100% computer-powered AI tool and amazon was later caught in a lie when people found out that it was just people in bangladesh getting paid pennies per hour

it was always marketed as humans getting paid pennies! that's why it was called Mechanical Turk. it would have been very strange for Amazon to call their fake AI "mechanical turk" when the original mechanical turk was a fake AI powered by humans

I haven't seen this at all, ever.

Are you sure you didn't Mandela effect yourself?

How many layers does this go

Am I real

Edit: oh God I'm not apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
There doesn't have to be an underpaid dude sitting under the AI box manipulating it like a puppet for SV to be wildly overstating what its current capabilities are

And for the attendant grifters to start frantically stamping "AI POWERED" on everything in sight or for dipshit C-suite mutants to start trying to crowbar it into everything with approximately zero understanding of what it can do or where it really should be applied

Add a dash of the promise of deleting necessary manhours and Tech's desperation to find The Next Thing before the boiler explodes and you've got a real Bullshit Hype Gumbo going

It's a little different than like NFTs or something because AI stuff isn't top to bottom bullshit and will stick around but the current climate is one of like desperation to sell everyone on AI as soon as possible