Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mile'ionaha posted:

You couldn't kick him to death in that time?

Debilitating a lone enemy and inviting them to a boot party while the other mechs are swatting Battle Armor is how most of my (very early) BTA fights are going.

Buying an LRM Carrier Mk2 is a game changer.

I tend to just ragequit missions in RT early game if I see BA after spending 39 rounds with my lance and a support lance in a giant circle around some BS ECM'd BA squad. At no point did I have more than a 0.9% hit chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

GD_American posted:

I've got a few salvage Hazards I haven't really played with yet. I'll poke around there.

I remember trying an all-plasma cannon Dire Wolf build for duels and it just led to this hilariously long 40 round duel until I ran out of ammo, I kept shutting him down but he'd never blow up.

It's been a while, but I know BTA has seriously nerfed heat damage in one or two releases in the past couple years. I can see why, it was stunningly good for a loooong time. Inferno Arrow IVs were just LOLOLOLOLOL.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If this is nerfed I would love/hate to see what it was like before. The inferno sniper ammo on the Teppo is hilarious on the right maps. Oh look, the enemy failed a 110% check to restart their mech again.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Hearing heat has been nerfed is kind of crazy, I’ve got an omni firestarter that’s been doing horrible, horrible things to mechs and if I can find another plasma gun anywhere in the galaxy I’ll have 2 :getin:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Oh heat damage used to 100% be the way to go. With that 4L Crusader and a pilot who could multi-target, I could silence the guns of 2 of the enemy's strongest Mechs instantly, killing them within 2-4 turns without help.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

It’s still good just a bit more situational

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
BTA has had a few wildly skewed metas over the years. Heat was at one point basically the ultimate strategy that would not only obliterate every enemy opfor but also feed you infinite free mechs because it was way, way easier to cook pilots to death and infernos were way stronger.

My favorite bullshit meta was the Reign of the Machine Gun God Kings, where machine guns were unquestionably the strongest weapons in the game and the #1 optimal way to kill mechs was to breach their armor in any location and then rake them with a bunch of MGs because 3-4 MGs firing on max ROF(which used to be 6 shots for normal MGs!) were virtually 100% guaranteed to crit and obliterate every single item in an open location. Opening CT on an enemy 'mech was guaranteed engine death which also gave you immense amounts of complete mechs as salvage.

We also had the artillery meta, where artillery was substantially more accurate and damaging than it is now so it was really trivial to just bombard assault lances to death from across the map.

I think the BTA team did a really good job of tweaking all of these things so they're still really good and powerful if you lean into them but they're not so dominant that they make every other loadout/strategy look like poo poo.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

When they launched battle armor, it was so vastly overpowered that running within 3 hexes of a Clan Mech was courting instant death. Elementals would leapfrog onto you the very next phase and core your poo poo.

And Golems? Woof. Death dealing.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I’ve only recently started playing so i guess i was in the tail end of ba meta but i Never really got to experience it. I think right now broadly missiles are really loving strong, but lots of things are Good

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Layered AMS is enough of a need that yeah, missiles are pretty good

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
cannot recommend bringing at least one AMS boat and sprinkling AMS throughout your company whenever you have a few spare tons. preventing the damage is obviously good, but stopping LRM boats from knocking people out of evasion or knocking them down is A+++++

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Bring Teppos and you don't even have to sweat that. Just put the AMS on overload first thing first turn.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

now buy another

I find LRM carriers are too slow to fit into my force early game and by the time its speed isn't an issue there's better artillery options.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
LRM carriers and artillery don't really serve the same fire support purpose. Artillery tanks are mostly for laying down a huge area of relatively unfocused, moderate damage. LRM carriers are for pointing at one guy and saying that you want him dead.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Kanos posted:

LRM carriers and artillery don't really serve the same fire support purpose. Artillery tanks are mostly for laying down a huge area of relatively unfocused, moderate damage. LRM carriers are for pointing at one guy and saying that you want him dead.

Heavy Mortar Carriers do both

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Heavy Mortar Carriers are also the best minelayers in the game.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

GD_American posted:

Heavy Mortar Carriers are also the best minelayers in the game.

have you found mines to be useful? It just feels like it's better to blow through the opfor rather than place them, save for rare circumstances

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Pattonesque posted:

have you found mines to be useful? It just feels like it's better to blow through the opfor rather than place them, save for rare circumstances

It can sometimes make the ai do dumb things but usually i find it a bit gimmicky

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Pattonesque posted:

They're a bit cheesy because the AI doesn't know how to handle them and essentially turtles up in a minefield.

I only really use them to mine an enemy LZ or chokepoint, and only with the HMC. Once I was about to lose a "destroy convoy" mission so I seeded some mines in front of the tank about to make it away and stopped him in his tracks.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit:
You can effectively hide BattleMechs from scout fighters with a few camo tarps so something about them is hard to detect.

It's the Minovsky particles, obviously.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
That's the joke, yeah.

I think the entire cast of Gundam died on Misery.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Carcer posted:

I find LRM carriers are too slow to fit into my force early game and by the time its speed isn't an issue there's better artillery options.

I'm trying to save up for a Teppo, but like all good mercenary companies I'm barely making ends meet. What are some good tips for $$$?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mile'ionaha posted:

I'm trying to save up for a Teppo, but like all good mercenary companies I'm barely making ends meet. What are some good tips for $$$?

Salvage mechs and sell them on planets where you have good reputation

That’s it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

There’s sort of a curve to the game where you struggle to break even; you start breaking through when you can get killy enough to run multiple missions at once without having to make major repair breaks

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

Salvage mechs and sell them on planets where you have good reputation

That’s it

Can you only sell mechs on certain planets? Or are you just supposed to liquidate them from within the mechlab? I did that to a 40T mech and only got 300k

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mile'ionaha posted:

Can you only sell mechs on certain planets? Or are you just supposed to liquidate them from within the mechlab? I did that to a 40T mech and only got 300k

Build them then store them, then you can sell them

Don’t scrap anything unless you are about to lose the game mid-flight

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

In vanilla on the default settings you can pretty much scrap everything and still make gorillions of dollars.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
yeah focusing on money in contracts is good at first to build up a bit of a buffer but once you start getting a lot of random parts you can salvage/assemble/store/sell like, three mechs per mission

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

If you're playing mods you might get significantly less though, roguetech has something like a 90% cut to the selling cost by default.

It's not too bad though if you run an occasional money contract here and there.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Roguetech I've found that I end up balancing money versus salvage on contracts a lot. Repair costs are very high and the default selling cost is so low.

I also find that I end up taking my 5 pieces to make mechs, then immediately scrapping them often because the sales cost is always lower than the repair cost. I sometimes sell the individual pieces of the mech, but right now I'm mostly constrained on finding actual gear to put on my mechs, so assembling -> scrapping gives me the gear that was on the mech I pieced back together.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

ro5s posted:

Hearing heat has been nerfed is kind of crazy, I’ve got an omni firestarter that’s been doing horrible, horrible things to mechs and if I can find another plasma gun anywhere in the galaxy I’ll have 2 :getin:

I'm curious what your setup is with a plasma gun. I've got an omni firestarter that's iirc 4 heavy flamers + 4 regular flamers that's very good at cooking things. I just remembered Its got bloodhound probe + angel ecm which I'd probably have to drop to be able to fit anything without stripping so much armor it'd evaporate when looked at as its already fairly fragile.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Chainclaw posted:

Roguetech I've found that I end up balancing money versus salvage on contracts a lot. Repair costs are very high and the default selling cost is so low.

I also find that I end up taking my 5 pieces to make mechs, then immediately scrapping them often because the sales cost is always lower than the repair cost. I sometimes sell the individual pieces of the mech, but right now I'm mostly constrained on finding actual gear to put on my mechs, so assembling -> scrapping gives me the gear that was on the mech I pieced back together.

I quite like the balance it has, because it makes salvage usually give less money than taking money itself does, so it's not a complete no-brainer which one to go for.

That said I do play on generous/generous (+50% money and salvage) but it's not such a large bonus and with that I feel like money is quite easy to come by, especially later on. I only really do it so I don't have to run as many contracts and it doesn't change the salvage/money balance mechanic since both get boosted.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Private Speech posted:

I quite like the balance it has, because it makes salvage usually give less money than taking money itself does, so it's not a complete no-brainer which one to go for.

That said I do play on generous/generous (+50% money and salvage) but it's not such a large bonus and with that I feel like money is quite easy to come by, especially later on. I only really do it so I don't have to run as many contracts and it doesn't change the salvage/money balance mechanic since both get boosted.

I do like that it's not a simple clearcut decision, and I'm constantly balancing when I need more money versus going for salvage and hoping to get some useful gear. The lack of gear availability in shops also means that I sometimes end up taking low c-bill value gear out of my three selectable salvage slots, because of things like "I can't use this Clan LRM-15 without Clan LRM ammo, and this is the first time I've seen Clan LRM ammo in 10 drops"

The pacing on the default settings is too glacial, though, so I think you're right bumping it up a bit from default. Having to get 5 parts to re-construct a mech/vehicle, then wait 30+ days for it to repair is painful. Especially because often the good stuff breaks, so I end up needing to spend another 3 million cbills putting a clan XL engine back in or something.

I can't imagine playing this mod without liberal save scumming. Right now I'll usually go 20+ missions before getting a new mech, and then another 10+ missions to get the money to repair and outfit that mech, and then another 5 drops because I don't want to just spin the in-game timer for 60 days while the mech repairs, because my monthly cbill bill is nearly 3 million.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Yeah I also play with 3 parts per mech.

Maybe it's cheating, though I hear that if you play on the online map the faction store is much better, since it's made out of other players drops. But then you can't lower difficulty.

IDK I'm just having fun. I find as I get older and have less time and energy for games I stopped caring about difficulty as much, especially the progression kind (as opposed to difficult fights, which I get via planet difficulty whenever I want). I'm just in it to smash robbits together and watch the explosions.

e: I currently have something like 16 mostly heavy and assault mechs and 30 vehicles+BA, about 50-100 hours in.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 12, 2023

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I very highly suggest playing max generosity on salvage/cash and no more than 4 parts per mech assembly in the big mods, but that's just my preference towards tactical vs strategic difficulty +desire to COLLECT ALL THE MECHS.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BTA: slug MGs are really good but I don't know where they show up other than on Kisos

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I kind of liked the slower progression because a problem I had with Mechwarrior 5, BTA, baseline Battletech, etc, was it felt like I was getting a full line of "good poo poo" mechs way too fast, and I didn't get a chance to spend time using weird low and mid tier mechs because they were the bets I had.

That's also why I haven't changed the settings to make it a little easier, or to make it so I can assemble at 4 parts instead of 5.

I just got an Atlas III the other day, which felt way more of a big deal to get my second Assault mech, as opposed to other flavors of Mechwarrior/Battletech where they seem to come much earlier.

I also like that Roguetech's got such a deep weapon and gear catalog from another power scaling perspective. A 30 ton mech full of ilclan or later era stuff just destroys a 90 ton primitive era mech. So instead of just slapping the heaviest mechs I can into my drops, I'm balancing out the gear. It also means that I can sometimes get a much better upgrade by slapping later era gear onto a mech I already have, over salvaging a new mech.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

LtSmash posted:

I'm curious what your setup is with a plasma gun. I've got an omni firestarter that's iirc 4 heavy flamers + 4 regular flamers that's very good at cooking things. I just remembered Its got bloodhound probe + angel ecm which I'd probably have to drop to be able to fit anything without stripping so much armor it'd evaporate when looked at as its already fairly fragile.

The 2 built in flamers, 2 more flamers added, a plasma rifle with 20 shots (this is probably excessive, I've just been lazy about swapping it for another flamer). I typically keep it jumping/sprinting for lots of evasion so I can reserve it late in the turn to charge up to a good target - something that's activated and ideally built up heat from shooting at me. Give it a roasting and then when the turn refreshes fire at it again to dump even more heat before it's got a chance to activate. I use an ace pilot with it so I can double tap like that and then jump away to keep evasion up. A lot of the time I'll put the firestarter on a hostile mech just to try and stop it from shooting me too much while I take out it's friends and end up making the ammo explode before I get around to killing it with the rest of my lance.

E: I might as well throw this in, what order to weapons fire in from the weapon list in BTA: top to bottom or bottom to top? I saw a tooltip for it once so I know it's a thing but can't find that written down anywhere

ro5s fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 12, 2023

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

my IJJ mechs are now running way too hot I assume I need to swap down some lasers for another heat sink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Chainclaw posted:

I kind of liked the slower progression because a problem I had with Mechwarrior 5, BTA, baseline Battletech, etc, was it felt like I was getting a full line of "good poo poo" mechs way too fast, and I didn't get a chance to spend time using weird low and mid tier mechs because they were the bets I had.

That's also why I haven't changed the settings to make it a little easier, or to make it so I can assemble at 4 parts instead of 5.

I just got an Atlas III the other day, which felt way more of a big deal to get my second Assault mech, as opposed to other flavors of Mechwarrior/Battletech where they seem to come much earlier.

I also like that Roguetech's got such a deep weapon and gear catalog from another power scaling perspective. A 30 ton mech full of ilclan or later era stuff just destroys a 90 ton primitive era mech. So instead of just slapping the heaviest mechs I can into my drops, I'm balancing out the gear. It also means that I can sometimes get a much better upgrade by slapping later era gear onto a mech I already have, over salvaging a new mech.

I'm playing mw5 not battletech, but I feel sorta similarly about playing it p heavily modded at the start of the clan invasion. I'm using a bunch of the YAML mods and have an equipment progression that'll continue for many in game years. I salvaged a clan Jenner iic with pulse quirks and 6 clan small pulses early on and have upgraded the pulses to t4 along with some of the internals (stealth armor!!) and it's still extremely effective in 300 ton+ missions. I'll bring three fire support heavy/assault mechs with long range ballistic heavy loadouts and use lance commands to have them focus on the mechs with sufficient short range weaponry to threaten my Jenner, then scurry around at knife range blasting people in the back. Any older mech variant will go down in 2 or fewer blasts if I get the entire volley on one rear armor spot. I've also got a Hellcat that's similar, though more a mid range skirmisher, and the Archer Agincourt loaded up with ASRMs and they're all just super fun mechs to play with.

The default number of parts to assemble a mech was 6 iirc, and at first I dropped it to 3. But after a few missions at the start of the career I put it back up to 5 pieces and I'm much happier with that in the end. I can still get mechs online fast enough that it's not frustrating and I only need 3 matching parts with 2 others, but it's slowed down my progression enough that I still only have one 100 tonner and when I get to put together the next one (hopefully a blood asp!!! One piece away from that and two pieces away from an Atlas) it's gonna feel really great. I think if I were a bit better at just choosing to run 215 ton missions sometimes, or if one of my mods let those weight missions spawn at higher difficulties then maybe I'd not need to slow down the progression for myself. I should look and see if there is a mod that does that.