Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

MikeJF posted:

That was also the idea with the segmented saucer on the lower left, that modules could be swapped.

That concept also had variable geometry warp drive by sliding the nacelles along the pylons they were mounted to. This was years before voyager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Boxturret posted:

Is there a specific point in TNG where DS9 starts or do you just start alternating episodes at the start of season 6?

DS9 starts soon after Chain of Command (TNG 6x11-6x12) and some things about how it starts are consequences of that episode.

Also, there's a DS9 2-parter in season 2, eps 20 and 21, you want to watch that between TNG 7x20 and 7x24.

And watch the first TNG movie before you start DS9 season 4.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 12, 2023

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Der Kyhe posted:

Picard had a very, very stern speech with the AI that runs the translator.

Data did call French (paraphrasing) "an obscure idiot language for dipshits"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MikeJF posted:

That was also the idea with the segmented saucer on the lower left, that modules could be swapped.
Ah yes, the Little Caesar class

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I watched TNG/DS9/VOY first run and I used to really hate Voyager but I did a rewatch of Voyager a few years back with much lower expectations and really enjoyed the show. And I think a lot of my initial feelings about Voyager were influenced by things like Non Sequitur (VOY) airing right before Way of the Warrior (DS9) and Nemesis (VOY) airing right before A Time to Stand (DS9). So I'm expecting an airdate rewatch to be interesting.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Going to watch Wrongs Darker Than Death or Night followed by an episode where Tom Paris is bored with doing his job and is building a Camaro on the holodeck.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Going to follow up In the Pale Moonlight with an episode where Chakotay almost gets a girlfriend.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Voyager is extremely "mid"

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
The problem with Voyager is they only remembered their (honestly pretty banger) series premise once every 5 or 6 episodes.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I think Voyager has some really good episodes and not every episode of DS9 is great but it's absolutely crazy that they were airing an episode where Harry gets trapped in his Beowulf holonovel on the same day as Improbable Cause.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
The episode where brain dead Chakotay uses a medicine wheel to save the ship aired on the same day as The Die is Cast.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I think Voyager has some really good episodes and not every episode of DS9 is great but it's absolutely crazy that they were airing an episode where Harry gets trapped in his Beowulf holonovel on the same day as Improbable Cause.

"YOU BLEW UP YOUR OWN SHOP, GARAK!"

God I love Rene in that episode.

The scene with the poisoner is great simple suspense too.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nessus posted:

It's a flying groady piece of warm poo poo, but it does the job if you're really desperate.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

nine-gear crow posted:

It's a flying groady piece of warm poo poo, but it does the job if you're really desperate.
It's an effective counter to the Romulan P'pajon at least

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

That's a bit mean to Harry Kim.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Nessus posted:

It's an effective counter to the Romulan P'pajon at least

Which was itself a direct response to a Klingon project:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgxWqLoafBo

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
The new Master Replicas collection just opened a bit ago. Picked me up the Titan from Lower Decks but they also have a few other cool items like The Cage Enterprise, K7, and the original Stargazer. They also had the very early enterprise with the circular engines but it's already sold out

masterreplicas.com/en-us

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

zoux posted:

But how does the translator know not to translate merde!?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKWvTlLMB-Y

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Nessus posted:

"Separate the saucer saucer"

Lead ship would be the USS dominos. Gets to your star system in 30 hours or it's free

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
when I watched voyager and enterprise I used episode guides to thin things down then got hosed off cause different guides said different things and I felt I missed out on stuff I might have liked

so I decided to do all the trek in vague order of release (well maybe not TOS animated yet), analyse it and make my own rough guide, and while I'm only just closing in on the end of TNG season 7 so far I must talk about trekke-

- having previously not watched any TOS beyond fragments of episodes and a film or two, I was genuinely surprised at just how loving good the good episodes were, "city on the edge of forever" and "the conscience of the king" come to mind but there were at least half a dozen absolutely cracking episodes.

- this was sadly balanced by a lot of very mediocre stuff and some absolute misogynistic poo poo, especially later on when there were a handful of sets and even fewer storylines

- holy gently caress the fifth film was really loving bad I stole popcorn from one of my kids just so I could throw it at the tv and boo loudly, thank gently caress I could watch 6 right after to wash away the stain

- I always had the second season of TNG as a great improvement in my head, but 1+2 become very close in average point score if I ignore the two best episodes from S2 in the calculation, S3 onwards scores generally higher then it gets a bit drifty again around S6

- bit more respect this time around for sirtis's acting, its more she just got a lot of poo poo writing that rarely gave her any agency

- even for '87 or '88 im shocked the tng racist episode made it to air, somehow worse than the loving tos racist one imo

- mr homn is great, coulda done with three times as much mr homn, minimum

- season 1 data seemed a lot more human like than the next few seasons of data

- i'm so fuckin' pumped for ds9 I might make myself do voyager first so I have something to keep looking forward to

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

wesleywillis posted:

"Separate the saucer saucer"

Lead ship would be the USS dominos. Gets to your star system in 30 hours or it's free

The launch of "USS Left Meatballs" causes the admiralty to stop the public outreach of naming the new ships.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DesperateDan posted:

- season 1 data seemed a lot more human like than the next few seasons of data
He definitely emotes a lot in Season 1 before someone realized that this kind of flies in the face of his whole deal as he's not supposed to have emotions

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
None warp core with left saucer

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

CPColin posted:

None warp core with left saucer

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Der Kyhe posted:

The launch of "USS Left Meatballs" causes the admiralty to stop the public outreach of naming the new ships.

Spacey McSpaceFace

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

He definitely emotes a lot in Season 1 before someone realized that this kind of flies in the face of his whole deal as he's not supposed to have emotions

For the best, I'd say because Season 1 Data with emotions acted like a loving serial killer a lot of the time.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The older I get the more I appreciate S1 Data and wish the rest of the show had that version of him instead of what we got.

I mean. S1 Data literally FUCKS

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Dr. Soong: builds his android sons to be fully functional, fully versed in multiple techniques, a wide variety of pleasuring

Also Dr. Soong: makes that a default feature while hiding dreams behind an EXP gate

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Thanks, for some reason all my googling was just getting like...star date comparisons and other unhelpful things.

MikeJF posted:

And watch the first TNG movie before you start DS9 season 4.

This seems like a trap though:hmmyes:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Boxturret posted:

This seems like a trap though:hmmyes:

It's not. There's a fair amount of dialogue in DS9's season 4 premiere that won't make any sense if you haven't seen Generations.

(And Generations is, if anything, beautifully photographed and scored. The movie may make no sense, but aesthetically it's gorgeous.)

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Timby posted:

It's not. There's a fair amount of dialogue in DS9's season 4 premiere that won't make any sense if you haven't seen Generations.

(And Generations is, if anything, beautifully photographed and scored. The movie may make no sense, but aesthetically it's gorgeous.)

It really does have one of the greatest Star Trek scores. Dennis McCarthy knocked it out of the park.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I've seen Generations enough, for some reason I always caught the TNG movies when they were on TV but never the TOS ones.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Data isn’t said to not be able to feel emotions until season 3, ‘Offspring’ maybe. Season one he’s clearly emotive, s2 there’s dialog to the effect that he experiences emotions differently or can’t feel certain ones. Season three he cannot feel emotion at all. Spiners performance tracks all that though

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

Data isn’t said to not be able to feel emotions until season 3, ‘Offspring’ maybe. Season one he’s clearly emotive, s2 there’s dialog to the effect that he experiences emotions differently or can’t feel certain ones. Season three he cannot feel emotion at all. Spiners performance tracks all that though

The emotion chip is introduced in Brothers, which is early season 4.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Season 1/2 Data is a far more interesting character than what came later. I never understood why they seemed to make a very conscious change to how he was written and performed.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I’m pretty sure it’s because they wanted a Spock 2.0. Which is crazy because Seven because a “Data but HAWT” for Voyager.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Timby posted:

I’m going to be honest I’ve seen Generations multiple times and I don’t remember anything in it that is essential viewing for DS9.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Season 1/2 Data is a far more interesting character than what came later. I never understood why they seemed to make a very conscious change to how he was written and performed.

I may be in the minority here but I actually prefer Data without emotions.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Isn’t the extent of the Generations reference just a fairly offhand remark about the Enterprise when Worf shows up? Hardly mandatory viewing

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

holefoods posted:

Isn’t the extent of the Generations reference just a fairly offhand remark about the Enterprise when Worf shows up? Hardly mandatory viewing

The destruction of the Enterprise is brought up multiple times in the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Timby posted:

The destruction of the Enterprise is brought up multiple times in the episode.

Watching The Way of the Warrior when it first aired in 1995 was absolutely insane. The TV shows actually acknowledging the movies as a thing that was concurrently happening instead of ancient history was revolutionary, especially in helping to cement Star Trek is an ongoing interconnected universe.