Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
The nice thing about this waiting-for-content downtime is that it's leveling time. My Serval just hit 60, Pela and Natasha are next, and then it's rounding out relics and deciding if I want to bring March, Dan or Qingque up to 50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think Cocolia's probably the character who felt most like her Impact version to me of anyone so far. Himeko would be up there if she was a drunk.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Meowywitch posted:

No that's not the problem, the problem is the Stellaron corrupted her and only Seele, Bronya, and us know this.

It's more complex than "the Stellaron corrupted her" - it didn't shoot mind control rays into her brain, because if it could do that to her it would have done it to one of the earlier Guardians. It simply broke down her guard and convinced her that human resistance was hopeless. Cocolia made a conscious decision to give in and go "gently caress it, abandon humanity and embrace nihilism". There was agency there, as evidenced by Cocolia repeatedly trying to convince Bronya to come along with her to nihilism town.

WRT Serval, the Stellaron didn't force Cocolia to betray Serval and destroy their relationship, she did that on her own.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
cocolia sucks, serval owns and can do better, gepard is good for helping his big sis get over her lovely ex

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cocolia was a paranoid, controlling person put into a position of power over a small, dying civilization, and then the magic space rock made it worse

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I think Cocolia's probably the character who felt most like her Impact version to me of anyone so far. Himeko would be up there if she was a drunk.

Himeko is essentially who she would have been without the nefarious plans of her rear end in a top hat father. She only picked up drinking to counter the fact that thanks to Honkai exposure she was hosed anyway.

Kanos posted:

It's more complex than "the Stellaron corrupted her" - it didn't shoot mind control rays into her brain, because if it could do that to her it would have done it to one of the earlier Guardians. It simply broke down her guard and convinced her that human resistance was hopeless. Cocolia made a conscious decision to give in and go "gently caress it, abandon humanity and embrace nihilism". There was agency there, as evidenced by Cocolia repeatedly trying to convince Bronya to come along with her to nihilism town.

WRT Serval, the Stellaron didn't force Cocolia to betray Serval and destroy their relationship, she did that on her own.

It's similar to Herrscher corruption, but not as forceful. "You can't change the malice in human hearts.You can't change this ugly world. We are all failures, humans are all failures." Given Aeons are beings of imaginary energy I doubt they would've made the similarities that blatant unless they wanted us to draw that conclusion.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

As in when written with Chinese characters? Weird, don't think I've ever seen that the couple of times that I've been in Singapore.

Ah, misread it - when romanising it there is really up to each individual (or rather how their parents spell their names on the birth cert).

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Ibblebibble posted:

I cut EN Clara some slack because apparently it's literally her first VA job. Same with Dan Heng.

Huh really? That's neat, good for them.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

YES bread posted:

cocolia sucks, serval owns and can do better, gepard is good for helping his big sis get over her lovely ex

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I think what makes Cocolia/Serval tragic is that on the surface they seem like a great couple, a couple of go-getters that will do anything for success. It's just Cocolia ended up (as always) doing anything to meet her goals and Serval very much knows when to put the brakes on and knows not to hurt people. I think that's part of why her character arc starts with her wanting to leave but upon realizing that Cocolia was very much different from her and that protecting and helping people is something Serval very much wants to do she decides to stay and also is able to move. Also breaking an ex's guitar is just bad rear end

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

the best part of roguelike modes is getting massively owned

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Just get the randomizer dice like I did to un-own yourself. It's that simple.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Just get the randomizer dice like I did to un-own yourself. It's that simple.

Or the couple events that let you discard Curios.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Eimi posted:

Himeko is essentially who she would have been without the nefarious plans of her rear end in a top hat father. She only picked up drinking to counter the fact that thanks to Honkai exposure she was hosed anyway.

Taking away everyone's damage and smoothing out everything that made them interesting as characters in HI3 is making me kind of dislike the references more than I appreciate them.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I mean we barely know anything about Star Rail's Himeko. She probably has better hidden damage.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Well, we know she's a crazy/obsessed person who fixed up a dead space god's magic train in order to follow in their footsteps.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
The train made her do it, she's fine.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I mean they'd be creatively bankrupt to reuse those HI3 characters wholesale so i'd hope they have new and improved hidden damage

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyCOxxBkPTI

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Taking away everyone's damage and smoothing out everything that made them interesting as characters in HI3 is making me kind of dislike the references more than I appreciate them.

Also Welt's trauma is around the fact that Himeko was his student and he was the one who killed her father and set her on the path to becoming a Valkyrie. If anyone's giving a final lesson in this game, it'll be Welt.

I like that they are including the EN subs on the JP youtube page instead of me having to hunt down a fan subber.

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

"Leaf to e4, bingo, got it kid?"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't know anything about Honkai but Himeko seems like a mysterious hot lady who is always perhaps a little too calm and confident and also has an exploding chainsaw suitcase and a satellite laser grid.

So she seems pretty rad.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Kinda funny that the paid version of the battle pass gives you purple materials you can't use until EL4, when that's still like a week away at minimum.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

FractalSandwich posted:

Kinda funny that the paid version of the battle pass gives you purple materials you can't use until EL4, when that's still like a week away at minimum.

If you whale hard enough, you can be EL4 now (do not to do this it's insane)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't know anything about Honkai but Himeko seems like a mysterious hot lady who is always perhaps a little too calm and confident and also has an exploding chainsaw suitcase and a satellite laser grid.

So she seems pretty rad.

HI3 Himeko is extremely cool and extremely dead

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

:rip:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dmvNGxYPCU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Now that I've got Clara all traced out I wonder if I should invest more in supports or try to get a 5* set of the physical damage relic set, or start farming stuff for the EL4 bump.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Traces seem a little less powerful than leveling talents in Genshin, and it seems like we'll need a whole pile of mini-boss drops to ascend anyone.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I love the focus on xiangqi, it's a really cool game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kafka at level 50 isnt too bad honestly, at least if you bring march along and freeze spam her to death.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

There are two kinds of bosses, those with high freeze resistance, and those without.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the blesssing that forces ice weakness is also really nice, since im not 100% sure on this but i think the freeze from an ice break is guaranteed (and if its not, it has a really high application rate)

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I might be misremembering but doesn't that wear off after like 3 turns so if you're fighting a boss it won't help the hard phases?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Qwertycoatl posted:

I might be misremembering but doesn't that wear off after like 3 turns so if you're fighting a boss it won't help the hard phases?

There's a curio, I think, that forces it at fight start. There's also a rememberance blessing that basically lets you keep it up the whole fight.

quote:

After a character uses their Ultimate, there is a 70% base chance to apply Ice Weakness to a random enemy who has no Ice Weakness for 2 turns.

If it triggers again while the ice weakness is still up it refreshes it, and it can trigger again if it wears off.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
IIRC the upgrade on that one is only changing "a random enemy" to "a random enemy without Ice Weakness", so it's really good at base level and not really worth upgrading.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jabor posted:

IIRC the upgrade on that one is only changing "a random enemy" to "a random enemy without Ice Weakness", so it's really good at base level and not really worth upgrading.
it could be useful if a boss that isnt ice weak constantly summons adds that are, i guess

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm pretty sure the final boss of world 6 is just completely immune to freeze no matter the source. Which, y'know, makes sense, but it's kinda funny that she just completely no-sells an entire blessing set.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
If a boss constantly summons adds you want to be using Hunt resonances to wipe them on entry, though.

Something like World 6 where a boss summons a mini-boss as a companion is a better example. ...If, yeah, it wasn't totally immune to Freeze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I mean, freezing adds also instantly kills them in practice. Only Abundance doesn't have a button that instantly murders adds.