Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/superbentendo/status/1657061678565949447?s=46&t=Mu6ngisnZlTkezPxh7sqCQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

Holy Jesus!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Played a few hours last night and for some reason it's not quite grabbing me yet. Still not off the newbie plateau, though, but I feel like I'm really struggling with the controls. A big one isn't even specific to the game -- on every other console ever, the bottom button means OK and the right button means Cancel, but Nintendo decided they could just reverse it for no reason so I'm constantly fumbling with stuff because I'm trained to hit the OK button when I want to cancel something. And I dunno, Y button for swinging doesn't feel good, and I still haven't figured out how to do the little side-hop or backflip when you lock onto an enemy, so combat feels really mushy. Even when locked on and walking to the side, X seems to do a hop straight up for some reason, and then makes you come to a complete stop when you land.

Gonna jump back in pretty soon, see if it clicks with me eventually. Was a bit disappointed last night, though -- I played after work until it was time to feed the dog and cat, and then I figured I might as well make my own dinner too, and then meh, I ended up not turning the Switch back on and just watched TV and played some more League of Legends ARAMs like a degenerate.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
It’s a little unwieldy at times which I was kind of expecting from the previews but overall with only a little bit of progress made I’m pretty into it. A few other thoughts under tags, first couple objectives after the tutorial area only.

The purah pad being plugged into the tower by a giant aux cord is hilarious. The shiekah towers were cool but I definitely like these better.

Both times I’ve used ascend on the surface I found myself wondering if it was possible to get back down without dying. Didn’t have the paraglider yet so I kept diving back down and splattering on the ground.

The big wyvern guys look cool , was surprised a single arrow is all it takes to kill them though.

Don’t love how you activate a power whenever you select a different one from the wheel.

I can already tell I am going to be really awful at the shrines in this one. It’s fun but I am super bad at puzzling out how things fit together best.

Skeleton guy limbs carry a surprisingly high attack power when fused. They still break fast tho

Was not expecting the “mummy” to talk

Anyway the game rules, overly involved controls aside

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Phenotype posted:

Played a few hours last night and for some reason it's not quite grabbing me yet. Still not off the newbie plateau, though, but I feel like I'm really struggling with the controls. A big one isn't even specific to the game -- on every other console ever, the bottom button means OK and the right button means Cancel, but Nintendo decided they could just reverse it for no reason so I'm constantly fumbling with stuff because I'm trained to hit the OK button when I want to cancel something. And I dunno, Y button for swinging doesn't feel good, and I still haven't figured out how to do the little side-hop or backflip when you lock onto an enemy, so combat feels really mushy. Even when locked on and walking to the side, X seems to do a hop straight up for some reason, and then makes you come to a complete stop when you land.

Gonna jump back in pretty soon, see if it clicks with me eventually. Was a bit disappointed last night, though -- I played after work until it was time to feed the dog and cat, and then I figured I might as well make my own dinner too, and then meh, I ended up not turning the Switch back on and just watched TV and played some more League of Legends ARAMs like a degenerate.

Finish the tutorial andget your paraglider then see how it is. I wasn't feeling the tutorial island either.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Phenotype posted:

On Nintendo the right button has been confirm and the bottom button cancel since 1991. On Playstation the bottom button was cancel and right button was confirm... in Japan. This didn't change all the way to PS4. Only Sony America swapped it and made X confirm and O cancel. They are the backwards one.

Nintendo did not flip it, Nintendo's has always been correct.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Oh my god the music in Rito Village

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I've found control things but they're either already lying around (not had one dispensed) and they don't seem to offer full control, only a tiny bit of L/R.

My only gripe with the construction system is the control module is only steering and everything fires up the moment to take control. It would've been nice to at least have an on/off toggle while in the control seat.

If not an action button for the cannons/hydrant/flamethrowers

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

On Nintendo the right button has been confirm and the bottom button cancel since 1991. On Playstation the bottom button was cancel and right button was confirm... in Japan. This didn't change all the way to PS4. Only Sony America swapped it and made X confirm and O cancel. They are the backwards one.

Nintendo did not flip it, Nintendo's has always been correct.

Hah, as I was typing the post I wondered if this wasn't the case, simply because Nintendo's been in the business for a million years. At any rate, incredibly frustrating that everyone isn't on a universal standard because it's super confusing for my fingers!

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My only gripe with the construction system is the control module is only steering and everything fires up the moment to take control. It would've been nice to at least have an on/off toggle while in the control seat.

If not an action button for the cannons/hydrant/flamethrowers

The weird part is at one point they do let you activate the cannons/hydrant/flamethrowers with the L and R button. Why couldn't they use that for vehicles? It's not like those buttons are doing anything when you're locked into the steering wheel.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Don't like the new system for power selection. Just because I switched to a new power doesn't mean I want to use it now, I just want to have it selected when I do want to use it.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

Don't like the new system for power selection. Just because I switched to a new power doesn't mean I want to use it now, I just want to have it selected when I do want to use it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is really annoyed by this. I guess I need to stop selecting the power I want to use in preparation for that thing 100 yards away.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Beyond the obvious, I think the biggest change from BOTW is the density of things to do. There’s literally a POI every 50 feet. I’ve already completed one regional quest and haven’t even found Hestu yet. I feel there’s 3 major quests all vying for my attention plus the side quests. That’s not a complaint.

Everything I’ve done so far has been awesome. Most of the shrines have been intuitive and Ive been pleasantly surprised by the enemy diversity.

I am still shocked that there hasn’t been a throwaway line about what happened to all the sheikah tech. A mention of vah medoh has literally been it. Maybe I’ve gone the wrong way or haven’t talked to the right people yet.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CJ posted:

iirc there is something to talk to there, it belnds in with the ground. If not try talking to the statue again.

Ah drat I missed it the first time around. Thanks for the heads up.

Oh. Oh holy poo poo. What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Also they had to know how many people they were sending to horny jail with Purah's new design, didn't they.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
so ore deposits apparently no longer refresh with blood moons

I will be forever broke

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sock The Great posted:

Enjoying the game so far. However, it's a bit peculiar that some of the shrines are accessible before obtaining the necessary tools to solve them, specifically the Tsutsu-um shrine. Which I believe is impossible without the paraglider. This is not something we experienced in Breath of the Wild, so it's a bit of a departure from the norm.

I'd have to go and look but I doubt it's the only way

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Oxxidation posted:

so ore deposits apparently no longer refresh with blood moons

I will be forever broke

I don't think they ever did, they refresh after a certain amount of time. Same for anything else you gather.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Republicans posted:

I don't think they ever did, they refresh after a certain amount of time. Same for anything else you gather.

iirc in BOTW it was "if you're not in the area it has a 1% chance per minute to respawn" for most materials. There is a ridiculously detailed explanation here https://www.reddit.com/r/Breath_of_the_Wild/comments/abo02v/mechanic_breakdown_object_respawns_materials/. The same subreddit has a bunch of detailed explanations for other BOTW mechanics, and while I'm sure it's not identical to TOTK I bet the underlying mechanics are similar based on my own preliminary testing.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh wow, but that makes sense. Last night I found some area with liek a dozen golden apple trees and did a shrine and came back out and the apples all respawned

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I've got one of the first wave Link amiibos on my shelf and so I thought I'd try scanning it. I did it just outside of the stables when I first discovered the place.. and got EPONA, baby!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I'm off the starter zone. I died there about five times to my old foe fall damage and once to freezing water when I swung an axe through the middle of the raft I built.

No deaths to enemies so far.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Asking any goons who followed the chasm beneath where Hyrule Castle stood: Is the D___ K____ A____ part of the main quest? I warped out after dying trying to tackle that

im pretty it’s the start of the final boss

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Dying hundreds of times is my choice

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

I haven't found a single Hylia statue to trade my orbs at. Sitting on like twenty of them with four hearts.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

I haven't found a single Hylia statue to trade my orbs at. Sitting on like twenty of them with four hearts.

There is one in the emergency shelter, in the ground, of the camp center map.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
Aw, your friend and you got separated? That's soooo sad. Go find him yourself, you little bastard.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Fish Appreciator posted:

The Internet is gonna thirst over Purah so hard, which is a shame when her assistant is objectively cuter.

This game is chock full of cuties and beefcakes without sacrificing all the other little weirdos hanging around. I ran into the adorable Paya again in Kakariko and then she introduces to me to her buddy Tauro and oh boy, that's a design.

https://i.imgur.com/Ner335S.mp4

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Updog Scully posted:

Aw, your friend and you got separated? That's soooo sad. Go find him yourself, you little bastard.

"I'm too tired to move"

"Boy sure would be a shame if someone glued 40 rockets to you"

"What do you know I can walk again!"

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Folks probably already know this, but just in case you're like me and found yourself frustrated by X being the jump button and assuming Nintendo wouldn't let you gently caress with controls: In the options menu, you can toggle a switch to make B the jump button and X dash. Probably a game-changer for me in melee combat because I have stupid thumbs.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Toaster Beef posted:

Folks probably already know this, but just in case you're like me and found yourself frustrated by X being the jump button and assuming Nintendo wouldn't let you gently caress with controls: In the options menu, you can toggle a switch to make B the jump button and X dash. Probably a game-changer for me in melee combat because I have stupid thumbs.

X makes sense for jump because X is up on the gamepad. Jump goes up. :colbert:

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I constantly press the right thumbstick on my pro controller and bring up the drat viewfinder thing.

I wish that only came up when you double press

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Any small hint on how I start the progress of getting the last ability on the wheel? Or should I wait till it happens naturally? I followed the main quest now and ended up finishing the northwest main quest line.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

SpaceAceJase posted:

I constantly press the right thumbstick on my pro controller and bring up the drat viewfinder thing.

I wish that only came up when you double press

I keep doing it in combat, thinking it's lock on.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

ymgve posted:

Any small hint on how I start the progress of getting the last ability on the wheel? Or should I wait till it happens naturally? I followed the main quest now and ended up finishing the northwest main quest line.

Do the follow up quest for Josha.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

After getting the camera I just realized that I can warp all the way back to the starter island in the sky :v:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I need to upgrade some armour but I can't find low level monster parts I need anymore lol

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

CJ posted:

Do the follow up quest for Josha.

Ah, NOW she has a quest for me. I wonder if that's gated by progress or time, because last I checked there was no quest.

Unrelated, I wish it was possible to fill out the compendium without storing pictures in the album. Just give me the entry, I'm gonna delete it anyway later!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

MokBa posted:

This game is very good and I have played it for like 15 hours already and feel like I'm still in the very beginning.

Accidentally ended up in the Depths day before yesterday (not the most likely entrance you're guided towards, either), and just spent a few hours liberating tree roots and bringing light to the darkness... and another two trying to make a hovering platform to take my tamed Stalnox back to the surface with me :v:

It didn't work; too heavy. :negative:

The Depths is kind of what i always wanted the Nether/End in Minecraft to feel like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I have a Zelda question. I have never played a Zelda game. I'm curious about whether I'd have fun. I suck at platformers, and in general I suck at reflex-based games. How good at combat do you have to be to enjoy this version of Zelda?