Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im so confused

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I've been trying this and it works....but it clearly doesn't work if you're underleveled with those units.

I think all I'm getting out of this chart is that there's really a huge number of possible character combinations for SU that are viable because it's the blessings and resonance that matter more than the characters you bring.

My winning run of SU6 didn't use any of those - I ran FireMC/Bailu/Serval/Hook and was Hunt focused with a couple lucky dips into other blessings - notably one that increased break efficiency, so that I was lowering stagger bars faster, and one that delayed enemies a bit extra on break. Everything else was geared towards feeding me energy, turns, or other resources when I killed things or broke bars. It wasn't the fastest clear in the world, but it was ludicrously stable with Cocolia never managing more than one turn before I could break her again. The entire fight buckled under my complete control of the action economy thanks to her continuously summoning weak adds I could mulch for hunt bonuses.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
People like to say that games like these are a marathon, not a sprint. Spending roll currency on stamina is usually the domain of those with more money than sense.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
As a devotee of Suze Orman I have complete and total contempt for those that would spend 90 cents worth of spacy zenny in such a foolish and unegalitarian fashion.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I think the randomness of SU is not really charming enough for me, so I am just going slower and actually raising/gearing characters to hopefully reduce how cracked my blessing RNG needs to be.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

IIRC my su5 first clear was Clara/Nat/Dan/Tingyun + Abundance and my su6 was Clara/Nat/Fireblazer/Serval + Hunt so yeah, team building for SU is more about bringing a break and getting good blessings than raw character numbers really.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

If i don’t have at least six blessings of my path before the first boss I often just reset and start over

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

UHD posted:

If i don’t have at least six blessings of my path before the first boss I often just reset and start over
I'm pretty sure the game is rigged to never give you Hunt blessings on the first three floors if you pick Hunt as your path.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

My first SU6 clear was Seele/Serval/Natasha/Asta based around one shotting her spears with the hunt resonance. My actual characters barely did more than charge it.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I want a sampo :( stop giving me hooks gdi

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Good for you

Then I learned you can't get the 10th buff until you do this poo poo

Just farm lower level simulations if you really want to unlock some parts of the tree. You can like farm simul 1 super fast if that's bugging you

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm only interested in foxian girls

I don't think I broke Svarog at all but it was funny to see Welt's skill hit for like 10k total and Sushang just go hog wild getting turns constantly

Eldsluft
Dec 22, 2021

"Ingenio stat sine morte decus."
Abundance is good for SU5 because otherwise you may see a very high stack of atk buff on Kafka. I played with Memory once and got 30 stack (which means 300% atk, yeah).
For SU6 the best solution without Hook / Seele is in fact Destruction. You literally won't die even if you fail to stop Cocolia from using her ultimate move. If you are confident in your dps though, Hunt will be better.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I've beaten every SU boss I've done up through 4-2 with Hunt, including SU5 without a cleanse in my party. Hunt speed is just so goddamned strong and the resonance is an atomic blast.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Meanwhile I've beaten SU4-2 with every path because I've been using it to grind the unlocks.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
This might be harder to notice on a phone, but playing on a PC it's very obvious that the view of Belobog out the big window at the front of the hotel is a janky 2D impostor. The big domed building on the left and the stairs down to the cable car are both visible as expected:

...but Qlipoth Fort is mysteriously missing from the skyline:

No idea what that's about. It is present in the fake reflections in the windows of other buildings outside, though!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Endorph posted:

im so confused

I think it's a sunk cost thing where on some level they probably realize they hosed up, but there's no getting all that currency back so all they can do at this point is rationalize it.

Tarezax posted:

People like to say that games like these are a marathon, not a sprint. Spending roll currency on stamina is usually the domain of those with more money than sense.

I always just partially assumed that the "convert roll currency to stamina" option only existed for people like content creators who need to gear up characters super fast (plus as a trap to get people to spend more money, of course, but the game doesn't even pretend that's a reasonable idea).

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

I always just partially assumed that the "convert roll currency to stamina" option only existed for people like content creators who need to gear up characters super fast (plus as a trap to get people to spend more money, of course, but the game doesn't even pretend that's a reasonable idea).

it's the true whale option because in any gacha with a pity you know exactly how much you may have to spend per character and anything more than that goes to stamina refreshes

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

The roster is so small and character drops are so uncommon compared to other gachas Ive played. Every pull you can get is important and there isn't an objective argument for spending jade on anything other than pulling towards a character that you expect to require pity. It's just too hard to get pulls. It simply isn't objecrively worth trading some of them to try to push content.

That being said, people can feel free to be inefficient if efficiency is boring or they don't care about future gains. I just wouldn't want people to read justifications for bad spending and think "maybe it is okay for me to be a bit impatient, as a treat" because you are going to gently caress your future self.

For example. Saying "I have plenty of time to build up more pulls before the next character I want" is the kind of thing that sounds like it could make sense to a newbie but is objectively just a rationalization for poor resource management.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
That's all true, but it's also possible that you simply won't be playing by then, in which case do whatever the heck you want with your imaginary money.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

drat seele still too squishy

I guess the answer is just to tank and spank it, how boring

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

For sure, the #1 thing is to Have Fun and that means spending resources in whatever way maximizes that for you.

I'm finally caught up with the thread and almost done with the main story. I like this game a lot. I really appreciate that the roster of F2P chars is sufficient to clear all current content so you don't feel like you're wasting resources building them. I have several gripes but they are almost all related to inherent problems with GAAS/monetization.

Has anyone on a guide website/reddit mathed out all the various expected returns from different activities? I like to think of things in terms of effort vs reward. If killing all the respawning enemies and smashing destructibles every day is only 5% of your weekly income of materials I'll skip it, but 20% makes doing that attractive. If no one's done that yet, it's time for another episode of "English major tries to use excel and screws up for hours"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm guessing SU 5 and 6 require finishing the current main quest? I'm part-way through the space China stuff and don't have them yet, so I assume that's the case. I'll try to finish it later today since I want to try them (SU3-2 and SU4-2 are still a bit too hard - my DPS just isn't high enough and the final boss got to his rage mechanic).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

I'm guessing SU 5 and 6 require finishing the current main quest? I'm part-way through the space China stuff and don't have them yet, so I assume that's the case. I'll try to finish it later today since I want to try them (SU3-2 and SU4-2 are still a bit too hard - my DPS just isn't high enough and the final boss got to his rage mechanic).

SU5 has you fight a boss from Xianzhou, so probably. SU6 is a Belobog boss but you need to beat SU5 to get SU6.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

big cummers ONLY posted:

For sure, the #1 thing is to Have Fun and that means spending resources in whatever way maximizes that for you.

I'm finally caught up with the thread and almost done with the main story. I like this game a lot. I really appreciate that the roster of F2P chars is sufficient to clear all current content so you don't feel like you're wasting resources building them. I have several gripes but they are almost all related to inherent problems with GAAS/monetization.

Has anyone on a guide website/reddit mathed out all the various expected returns from different activities? I like to think of things in terms of effort vs reward. If killing all the respawning enemies and smashing destructibles every day is only 5% of your weekly income of materials I'll skip it, but 20% makes doing that attractive. If no one's done that yet, it's time for another episode of "English major tries to use excel and screws up for hours"

So like Genshin, you require mob drops to level up talents and characters and weapons. Those drops will always be useful (until you're done leveling people) so stock piling reserves will always be good. It's not necessary to stress about it, but killing them will probably be your main source of mats. I do it daily for all of Jarillo and Herta and it doesn't take too long, and since there's gently caress else to do right now, it gives me something to do. Destructables are a tiny pittance and only worth it if you're crafting so I don't bother.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I do wonder if crafting consumables will ever be a thing that matters in Star Rail, given that you're not really allowed to do it in any content that you might care about doing it in.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

i only use them for the weekly boss limited ones like +25 fire or whatever for the corresponding best element since those actually can take more than a minute

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Eimi posted:

So like Genshin, you require mob drops to level up talents and characters and weapons. Those drops will always be useful (until you're done leveling people) so stock piling reserves will always be good. It's not necessary to stress about it, but killing them will probably be your main source of mats. I do it daily for all of Jarillo and Herta and it doesn't take too long, and since there's gently caress else to do right now, it gives me something to do. Destructables are a tiny pittance and only worth it if you're crafting so I don't bother.

I agree it will always be good to have more, I'm saying I enjoy looking at the nitty-gritty and seeing exactly how much of X resource income is generated by Y source. Whether X is worth Y can fluctuate based on real life stuff or the draw of other games and probably varies a bunch from person to person, so I want to see those numbers. I wanna see em bad enough that I'll do it myself if I have to, but since I was about 12, any undertaking involving math or data collection inevitably results in dozens of mistakes and false starts along the way

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Kanos posted:

I do wonder if crafting consumables will ever be a thing that matters in Star Rail, given that you're not really allowed to do it in any content that you might care about doing it in.
There are a few times the rez items have saved me an annoying walk back from a warp point. Hard to imagine they'll ever amount to much more than that, unless those one-time "powerful enemy" encounters start getting really crazy later on.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

kind of sucks that 90% is like heal your party when the healing from the warp pts before fights are so high and you never really run out

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

big cummers ONLY posted:

I agree it will always be good to have more, I'm saying I enjoy looking at the nitty-gritty and seeing exactly how much of X resource income is generated by Y source. Whether X is worth Y can fluctuate based on real life stuff or the draw of other games and probably varies a bunch from person to person, so I want to see those numbers. I wanna see em bad enough that I'll do it myself if I have to, but since I was about 12, any undertaking involving math or data collection inevitably results in dozens of mistakes and false starts along the way
There isn't really another source for those specific items. You can get a few from assignments and miniboss drops in Sim Universe, but if you need a large number of them, reclearing dungeons is your only real option, so there's very little to compare it to.

It's also more broadly true that most things in the game only have one real repeatable way to get them.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 14, 2023

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

FractalSandwich posted:

There isn't really another source for those specific items. You can get a few from assignments and miniboss drops in Sim Universe, but if you need a large number of them, reclearing dungeons is your only real option, so there's very little to compare it to.

Are you referring to ascension materials, or something else? The ascension materials have Calyxs, right? Which, you don't want to spend stamina when you can get something for free, sure, but I would like to compare them all the same. It sounds like this will be my project today :v:

E: to be completely clear since it seems my intent was unclear, I want to be able to compare the amounts for _any_ resource that has _any_ amount of multiple sources. I'm interested in seeing the differences. I'm not solely interested in what's best - my goal isn't just optimization, but holistic game knowledge

big cummers ONLY fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 14, 2023

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Think I've plateaued on Forgotten Hall. I feel like I need a true Ice or Lightning DPS (rather than March and Pela for Ice, and Serval is kind of getting there but is more of an AoE secondary) to get the third star on 13, second on 14 or clear 15.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

i bought the battle pass + daily jade pass and I'll use the daily jade for a single refresh. Since a lot of the 4* stars in this game are generally v good i focused on these 9 that I had to level up while I wait for the new banner to drop.

I see sampo on the lower end of most tier lists but with the right blessings he is an absolute monster in SU for me. I've seen 20-30k DOT hits once an enemy turn comes up when I have him in the squad. Also extremely funny to me that his english VA does this weird "Hee-Hee" when he uses his technique lol

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Ytlaya posted:

I think it's a sunk cost thing where on some level they probably realize they hosed up, but there's no getting all that currency back so all they can do at this point is rationalize it.

Yeah if you spend the 50 jade/day for a month your account is hosed, you’ll never get those 10 rolls back

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

padijun posted:

Yeah if you spend the 50 jade/day for a month your account is hosed, you’ll never get those 10 rolls back

My interpretation is that they were spending pretty much all the jade they had, since they were doing so with the intent of leveling up their characters as much as possible. It's obviously not a big deal if you're only spending a little (though it's still kind of pointless).

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

at the small cast and low limits concentrating on your 4-6 mains its..dundundun about two or so 10 rolls? oh noo

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ghosthotel posted:

i bought the battle pass + daily jade pass and I'll use the daily jade for a single refresh. Since a lot of the 4* stars in this game are generally v good i focused on these 9 that I had to level up while I wait for the new banner to drop.

I see sampo on the lower end of most tier lists but with the right blessings he is an absolute monster in SU for me. I've seen 20-30k DOT hits once an enemy turn comes up when I have him in the squad. Also extremely funny to me that his english VA does this weird "Hee-Hee" when he uses his technique lol

Almost all of the tier lists are geared towards people pushing bleeding edge Memory of Chaos stuff, since that's the current sweaty tryhard endgame. SU is a very relaxed environment comparatively and literally anything can work as long as it's properly leveled/geared, and specific blessing RNG can skew some characters incredibly hard - Clara with full elation blessings is several orders of magnitude more powerful than Clara with none, for example.

Sampo is an interesting case because in the currently accepted "hypercarry + backup band to do stuff 25 levels above my group" MoC metagame he's without a home, but outside of that paradigm he's quite good; it'll be interesting to see what effect Kafka's release has on him.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 14, 2023

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

big cummers ONLY posted:

Are you referring to ascension materials, or something else? The ascension materials have Calyxs, right? Which, you don't want to spend stamina when you can get something for free, sure, but I would like to compare them all the same. It sounds like this will be my project today :v:

E: to be completely clear since it seems my intent was unclear, I want to be able to compare the amounts for _any_ resource that has _any_ amount of multiple sources. I'm interested in seeing the differences. I'm not solely interested in what's best - my goal isn't just optimization, but holistic game knowledge

So you can get relic xp/credits for doing SU runs and not using stamina but there is supposedly a weekly cap on that which is 100 elites, so 34 clears? I'm pretty sure it would go below your nominal 5% threshold and not really worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Sampo does kind of suffer because he doesn't feel great until you hit just one enemy left and his skill stops doing no damage to a bunch of things and focuses. I also have to imagine Kafka will help out with that issue since he's the best source of the wind dot.