Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
When Worf gets to DS9 Sisko is like “sorry about the Enterprise” and in a later scene O’Brien is like “don’t worry I’m sure they’re building a new Enterprise soon” and Worf is like “it won’t be as cool” and I don’t think if you missed Generations that you wouldn’t be able to figure out that the Enterprise was destroyed.

Also, Generations doesn’t have anything to do with Worf. He gets promoted in Generations but they call him Lt Cmdr in Way of the Warrior so that information gets communicated right away in DS9 and that’s the only thing remotely about Worf in the movie and that holodeck promotion scene isn’t even really about him, it’s about Data realizing he wants emotions and serves as a party backdrop for Picard to get the bad news that Robert and darling René burned to death horribly. The only thing Worf does for the movie is deliver lines like “the Romulans we’re looking for trilithium” and “a probe got launched” and “the probe will take this long” and “launching photon torpedos” and “our shields are holding” which is definitely Worf stuff but it’s not stuff about Worf.

I think there are some TNG episodes that if you haven’t seen them would give you a deeper understanding of who Worf is and what he’s about going into DS9 but there’s nothing in Generations you need to see to understand Way of the Warrior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Watching Way of the Warrior but not Generations: “Kinda weird how Worf hasn’t mentioned what Lursa and B’Etor are doing these days…”

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I may be in the minority here but I actually prefer Data without emotions.

He's a lot more cute that way

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Barry Foster posted:

He's a lot more cute that way

avoids the whole "data is having emotions about not having emotions" thing

just as long as all the interactions with spot are the same I'm happy

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
An android clearly having the capability for emotions but not being fully aware of how or when they’ll present themselves just feels like it has so much more story potential than the same android having to be told when someone is joking or being sarcastic for 5 seasons. IMO it also cheapens Data’s entire quest to be human if he gets his emotions instantly from a hardware update versus developing them naturally over time.

But then again, Data as-is is obviously a super popular character so what do I know? :shrug:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

jeeves posted:

I’m pretty sure it’s because they wanted a Spock 2.0. Which is crazy because Seven because a “Data but HAWT” for Voyager.

Eh, Seven is a bit different in the sense that she was ripped from her only (evil) culture and is trying to navigate that and what it means for her. Data's quest was to be come human, Spock was to deny his humanity, Seven is more I don't know what I am but will forge my own path.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Data's quest was to be come human

And he accomplished it in episode 2!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

An android clearly having the capability for emotions but not being fully aware of how or when they’ll present themselves just feels like it has so much more story potential than the same android having to be told when someone is joking or being sarcastic for 5 seasons. IMO it also cheapens Data’s entire quest to be human if he gets his emotions instantly from a hardware update versus developing them naturally over time.

But then again, Data as-is is obviously a super popular character so what do I know? :shrug:

Data always had emotions and was constantly developing them over time. Very hacky they kept trying to shortcut it by doing chips and lore merging and vs like that.

I think Isaac from Orville did the whole emotionless being becomes emotional. Isaac did it just using logic and principles and it was satisfying.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Late to the Universal Translator discussion, but there's a great bit in Margaret Wander Bonnano's "Probe" where Kirk is making friendly chat with a Roman captain at a diplomatic mixer when the Romulan ambassador (who is a jackass) starts making a scene across the room. The Romulan captain excuses himself from the conversation to go handle the guy before he fucks up the talks, and Kirk says "By all means. Nobody likes a party pooper."

The Romulan captain laughs uproariously, and only then does it occur to Kirk to wonder how the UT would render a phrase like "party pooper" in an alien language.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Late to the Universal Translator discussion, but there's a great bit in Margaret Wander Bonnano's "Probe" where Kirk is making friendly chat with a Roman captain at a diplomatic mixer when the Romulan ambassador (who is a jackass) starts making a scene across the room. The Romulan captain excuses himself from the conversation to go handle the guy before he fucks up the talks, and Kirk says "By all means. Nobody likes a party pooper."

The Romulan captain laughs uproariously, and only then does it occur to Kirk to wonder how the UT would render a phrase like "party pooper" in an alien language.

Party shitter.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Only a veruul would expel a gala from their anus

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

He who shitteth in the ale bowl is without honor.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

So they just... Never defecate alone?

I must admit, it unsettles me: as a Romulan I value my privacy... but one does get lonesome in the lavatory chamber

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I miss the era before continuity got abused into nerd slop, odo pulling out a padd and owning worf with all the times the enterprise got taken over on his watch was a once in a lifetime event

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Tighclops posted:

I miss the era before continuity got abused into nerd slop, odo pulling out a padd and owning worf with all the times the enterprise got taken over on his watch was a once in a lifetime event
In my headcanon, Odo has a padd with a list of the embarrassing failures of every single member of the command staff to hand. Not just as a data file; literally an individual padd he replicated and keeps ready in a drawer for when he needs it.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Payndz posted:

In my headcanon, Odo has a padd with a list of the embarrassing failures of every single member of the command staff to hand. Not just as a data file; literally an individual padd he replicated and keeps ready in a drawer for when he needs it.

I mean the one he had for Worf was already on his desk and ready to go, like he was just waiting for the right moment to use it

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
He started a search the moment he heard Worf was coming to the station

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"Computer, begin search: Worf gently caress ups."

code:
16,224 entries found

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 14, 2023

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Timby posted:

The destruction of the Enterprise is brought up multiple times in the episode.

Oh right, then they rebuild it with the 3 nacelles from all good things, got it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Payndz posted:

Bashir
-Loves piss
-Is probably a bottom

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

FlamingLiberal posted:

Bashir
-Loves piss
-Is probablydefinitely a bottom

ftfy

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Angry_Ed posted:

I mean the one he had for Worf was already on his desk and ready to go, like he was just waiting for the right moment to use it

He probably saw Worf coming on the security monitors and pulled it out, just in case.

That moment dovetails neatly with something another comment reminded me of. On the Orville, Isaac has no natural sense of humor, so he's asking people to teach him. Gordon introduces him to practical jokes, and then gets completely owned in a prank war. The scene where Gordon hopped onto the bridge, howling mad, made me laugh just thinking about it. But that scene works because it's something the character would naturally do. An outraged Gordon would make confronting his tormentor a priority above, y'know, an immediate trip to sick bay. Odo would absolutely have files on everyone, especially the newly arrived former security officer of the fleet flagship. An emotionless robot just learning about humor would absolutely cross an implicit line of behavior.

Both scenes have a nice dose of absurdity to them, which helps their humor value. Odo has a PADD ready to go, dedicated to listing Worf's failures. In a setting with Star Trek/Orville medical technology, stealing someone's leg for a prank is certainly possible, but definitely absurd. The physical humor of hm falling out of bed magnifies the effect.

For those who haven't seen it, that's S1E5 of The Orville.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Data always had emotions and was constantly developing them over time. Very hacky they kept trying to shortcut it by doing chips and lore merging and vs like that.

Yeah, episodes like The Most Toys were great bits of Data very clearly developing his emotions but not knowing it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Ya'all know that PADDs aren't like, single use and he just had that file somewhere on his sharepoint right?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah but he doesn't even have to load the file he just pulls it out and starts reading.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

CainFortea posted:

Ya'all know that PADDs aren't like, single use and he just had that file somewhere on his sharepoint right?

Star Trek takes place in a timeline where the technology for tabs was lost during WW3

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

MikeJF posted:

Yeah but he doesn't even have to load the file he just pulls it out and starts reading.

Yeah he had that poo poo ready to go, like prepared in advance.

I'm pretty sure he had it on him ever since seeing Worf's name on an incoming passenger manifest.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

"Computer, begin search: Worf gently caress ups."

code:
16,224 entries found

"Hrmph... computer, filter out entries pertaining to Alexander Rozhenko."

code:
17 entries found.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Tighclops posted:

Star Trek takes place in a timeline where the technology for tabs was lost during WW3

Since the war broke out in the 90s, Windows was cut off before it reached its peak, and the postapocalyptic world had to go back to Unix when they had to start developing future computer technology, no multiple windows, no tabbing. Mice never get used, just buttons and keyboards, until the mass-adoption of voice controls for non-experts.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, episodes like The Most Toys were great bits of Data very clearly developing his emotions but not knowing it.

The ending of that episode is so good. Everything from Data deciding this fucker needs to die up to the scene with Rubinek in the brig is mwah

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tighclops posted:

Do you know how many windows I have open in the background so I don't forget? If I had a replicator I would absolutely have 15 padds strewn across my desk.

I do love the subtle improvement lower decks has made where the desktop screens are just large PADDs that you can pull out.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Twist: the padd Odo picked up wasn't even on, he memorized that poo poo.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

davidspackage posted:

Twist: the padd Odo picked up wasn't even on, he just guessed and word has enough fuckups that it is impossible to miss

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Or he had the list memorized, and used the padd as a prop because it would twist the knife.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Odo 100% would have rehearsed that interaction in the weeks before Worf’s transfer just to make absolutely sure he knew the precise inflections and emphases needed to really drive Worf nuts.

The PADD was for Worf’s benefit incase he demanded to be shown the actual list.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Odo 100% would have rehearsed that interaction in the weeks before Worf’s transfer just to make absolutely sure he knew the precise inflections and emphases needed to really drive Worf nuts.

The PADD was for Worf’s benefit incase he demanded to be shown the actual list.

Odo is one of those "have a plan to kill everyone you meet" people, only it's "have a pre-made dossier of embarrassing incidents and dark secrets to humiliate everyone you meet with". He's pulled this poo poo on the entire station's senior staff, including Sisko.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

He got one incident in with Sisko and gave up under the withering glare.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Now is that just Odo, or is that how all Cardassian offices work?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
goddamn beverley's scottish sex ghost episode is so insane, a representation of scotland straight out of garth marhenghi's "darkplace" mashed into a mills and boone "romance"

thank gently caress for lower decks coming right after it, rip ensign sito you deserved more plot than that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

DesperateDan posted:

goddamn beverley's scottish sex ghost episode is so insane, a representation of scotland straight out of garth marhenghi's "darkplace" mashed into a mills and boone "romance"