Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

They're popular with the "soy" subspecies of Gay. Dreadful creatures...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I still enjoyed ME when I did the remaster but out of every dead genre I think "RTWP based on D&D" is the one I'm most glad is dead

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's not dead though. Undead, maybe.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

RTWP is the most fail poo poo ever. I hate it. WoTR was good in spite of it and because I could do turn based for encounters that mattered.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Clarste posted:

It's not dead though. Undead, maybe.

it's like, at least at "space sim" levels of dead

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I think BW is pretty popular with gay video game players. Probably precisely because they were willing to do this poo poo pretty early on in the Western AAA scene and risk the wrath of Fox News and poo poo.
aargghghhHGHGHGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Having beaten Deadfire several times, I can never go back to the original Baldur's Gates. 2nd Edition was simply the worst and those games accurately adapted flaw of the ruleset.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the only thing worse than nikkolasking having opinions on final fantasy is them having opinions on gay rep in video games

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Having beaten Deadfire several times, I can never go back to the original Baldur's Gates. 2nd Edition was simply the worst and those games accurately adapted flaw of the ruleset.

so goddamn bad. i wouldnt accuse like, Fallout 2 of having great combat but at least its combat that was designed for a video game and its so much nicer to play than BG these days

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Deadfire is extremely good. One of my favorite CRPGs ever, which is why I am so god drat impatient for Avowed.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I'm anti pathfinder as an actual tabletop game but between that and the upcoming rogue trader game I'm glad we are getting new game stuff that uses something other dnd systems

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Endorph posted:

the only thing worse than nikkolasking having opinions on final fantasy is them having opinions on gay rep in video games

I'm just gonna listen to the gay man who wrote DA and all the other LGBT fans I've met over the years instead of, you know, you.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Real time with pause was always a stupid rear end loving dodge to try to go "Look! Our games aren't lame old TURN BASED, they're PULSE POUNDING ACTION" when every single one of them was just doing standard turn based stuff like hit/damage rolls under the hood while unpaused, and once the player leveled to a sufficient point - typically mid-late BG1 or from the very beginning of BG2 - you ended up having to pause constantly to navigate the incredibly cumbersome UI to continually cast your bazillion spells on potentially multiple party members.

One of Dragon Age Origins's key gameplay advertisements was having an extremely robust programmable party AI that would do what you wanted to in combat using a shockingly elaborate series of if > then statements, which in retrospect is a really hilariously rear end-backwards way of trying to sidestep the weaknesses of RTWP without just making the damned game turn based.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think it was all kind of compounded by D&D 2e being a) bad, and b) really really unsuited for video games

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think it was all kind of compounded by D&D 2e being a) bad, and b) really really unsuited for video games

Unfortunately, subsequent RTWP games that weren't on D&D 2e also had very similar problems, though they at least had better UX.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm just gonna listen to the gay man who wrote DA and all the other LGBT fans I've met over the years instead of, you know, you.
buddy what do you think i am

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the thing that always got me about gay poo poo in bioware games is how it got *worse* as it went on because they became far more self-conscious about it

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
In my circles everyone is gay AND they all hate Bioware. But I think that's mostly just correlation and not causation, since hating Bioware is just kinda fun for all sexualities.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

*joe biden voice* if you hate dragon age inquisition, you aint gay

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There are three options for male protagonists and one option for female protagonists. All of these romances are for the opposite sex only and all come with racial restrictions.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

the 'gay rep' in both ME and DA were like...really bad. It took until the third entry for both games to have real gay stuff in general, and while I think Inquisition's gay rep was..not terrible (outside sera lol) it still didn't feel all that good or praise worthy.

The transguy in Iron Bull's merc group is prob the only interesting LGBT thing Bioware did and he's a side character without any depth

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the trans dude in inquisition isnt bad but at the same time hes the most illustrative of bioware's approach to that stuff because your only dialog options with him are to either ignore it or to ask him to explain the concept to you slowly like you're a very stupid child

felt very much like something written by and for people who werent part of that group but wanting praise from that group lol

like imagine if there had been a dialog option to cut off his explanation with 'oh yeah, dont worry, i get it, winkwink' or smth and you both share a lil nod. like that wouldve actually been kinda innovative.. instead it feels a bit very special episode-y

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i think there are a lot of gay people who probably do like bioware games. i think all sorts of people can have good or bad taste.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
some of it in da1 was like, fine? nothing that blew my socks off but it lacked the sense of self-consciousness that so many big budget games have, especially in the last decade or so

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

so goddamn bad. i wouldnt accuse like, Fallout 2 of having great combat but at least its combat that was designed for a video game and its so much nicer to play than BG these days

i watched a video on fo2 that made me appreciate like, the idea of what it does even if i dont enjoy playing it that much. it's nice that it it has a more defined pace than rtwp and does a better job creating weird dynamic stories that can play out just because you're getting to see how each step of the fight escalates into a dozen bystanders getting blown up

NikkolasKing posted:

insane thing to say to a person

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
FO2 is just intuitive despite having all sorts of stats, I think. Nothing about translating dnd2e to a video game is intuitive

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there are trans people who like tell me why. does that mean i, personally, have to give tell me why credit and call it a meaningful piece of trans art that has pushed forward social progress and took risks in existing? i'd rather get stabbed by my own child whose inner magic voice power malfunctioned to make them think i was transphobic and fall into an icy lake

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"drat critics used to really hate handheld rpgs" is an old topic but lol goddamn

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

there are trans people who like tell me why. does that mean i, personally, have to give tell me why credit and call it a meaningful piece of trans art that has pushed forward social progress and took risks in existing? i'd rather get stabbed by my own child whose inner magic voice power malfunctioned to make them think i was transphobic and fall into an icy lake

sorry, personally, im going to trust actual lgbt people over 'you' *makes noise of disguist*

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think it's more that western audiences really did not wrap their head around roguelikes yet.

"dude wtf you lose all your progress when you die"

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Maybe the game is bad

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nah the pokemon mystery dungeon games own, that one especially

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

mycot posted:

I think it's more that western audiences really did not wrap their head around roguelikes yet.

thank goodness for rogue legacy

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Critics loved the golden sun games, at least.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also in fairness it was a "enhanced" rerelease of an already existing game a la Pokemon Emerald but it was funny to see

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
marvel's golden suns

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i think RTWP's strengths come through when the encounters are designed around it. RTWP is significantly better at large-scale fights with a lot of simple enemies to carve through and a small number of more intelligent and tactical ones.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

i think RTWP's strengths come through when the encounters are designed around it. RTWP is significantly better at large-scale fights with a lot of simple enemies to carve through and a small number of more intelligent and tactical ones.

Yeah, Siège of Dragonspear (the “recent” non-BioWare expansion to baldur’s gate) does some really good impressive stuff with large scale battles (sieges and stuff) and it rules

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf that can also go awry. neverwinter nights 2 loved 'setpiece' battles that were just 50 orcs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

choopercabra
Aug 8, 2006
RTWP is great in Total War, every RTS should have it.