Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

I think the if student loans are restarted it will be an incredible rug pull and transfer of wealth.

I wonder if the Dems will go for it or let the republicans handle that one in 2025.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I will be severely hosed because I now make slightly too much money to qualify for IBR, wholly support myself and my partner and since COVID my living situation has changed and my rent has tripled. Very cool.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

holefoods posted:

I will be severely hosed because I now make slightly too much money to qualify for IBR, wholly support myself and my partner and since COVID my living situation has changed and my rent has tripled. Very cool.

Sorry mate. That poo poo sucks. Wish I could give you $50,000.

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man

In Training posted:

I wonder if the Dems will go for it or let the republicans handle that one in 2025.

The dems will 100 percent do the unforced error.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

anime was right posted:

in america i believe the large scale adoption of them was in response to the cold war lol. gotta beat the commies, but you, the individual, must bear the burden

the current crisis is because tuition costs have steadily and significantly increased over 40 years while wages stayed completely flat. it kind of mirrors everything else in the economy

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

webcams for christ posted:

good to see yet more evidence that student debt payments are bad for the velocity of money in an economy

They take money away from the working class, rapidly. Hows that velocity for ya

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

the bitcoin of weed posted:

the current crisis is because tuition costs have steadily and significantly increased over 40 years while wages stayed completely flat. it kind of mirrors everything else in the economy

My understanding is that this is also largely driven by state ed dept subsidies of tuition basically freefalling since the mid 80s.

I know at my own uni its laughably still the "public state school" and the state only kicks in about 8% of the total tuition costs now.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

biceps crimes posted:

will never get over "student loans" being a concept that is real

anyone have a good link to read regarding student loan history in the US?

wait until you discover school lunch debt op :capitalism:

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Danann posted:

wait until you discover school lunch debt op :capitalism:

https://www.wlwt.com/article/cps-community-diploma-students-high-school-graduation/43881013

Cincinnati Public Schools forced folks in the city to throw money into a collection jar topped off by Joe Burrow so kids in the graduating class would be allowed to get their diplomas. Just holding kids' futures hostage for a little coin (and naturally they only go as specific to say that the money was for "event and participation fees."

loving demon evil.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

i have a poo poo ton of student loan debt and i absolutely bought a house because a mortgage would be cheaper than rent.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Xaris posted:

so what are some examples of shrinkflation that everyone has been noticing?

ive been one of the bigger trader joes proponents but they're undergoing subflation, or substitute inflation. almost all their frozen meat products are loving gnarly now, like orange chicken, pepperoni pizza, etc, while also costing a buck extra. highly recommend sticking to vegan/vegetarian diet there.

costco has, of course, been removing the more bulk budget-friendly options and replacing them with vastly smaller single-item foofoo 'organic' stuff for 2x the price

some fun ones ive found:

(was 20lbs)

(BIGGER IS BETTER, wait...)

(used to be 24 lol)

man, not even 1-penny frozen high fructose corn syrup sticks are safe. things must be dire in america if hfcs+water is too expensive

tfw sale price means you spend more, good strategy, most americans are too dumb to notice

mar 2020 poo poo paper shortages never ended, smdh

Extremely high-quality Doomsday Economics post. Thank you, Xaris.

This is just embarrassingly blatant gouging. Grounds for summary execution.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Delta-Wye posted:

do you think communists experience shrinkflation? or do you think they just change the prices when necessary like civilized folk

https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson/status/1174871396855382016

lol jesus that date i forgot how quickly that aged.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Banks: "Ya know, a mortgage would be cheaper than rent for you now."

Also banks: "We will not give you a mortgage."

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

Extremely high-quality Doomsday Economics post. Thank you, Xaris.

This is just embarrassingly blatant gouging. Grounds for summary execution.
i'm trying to improve the weekend thread and get it somewhat back on track.

but yeah the gum one was hands down my favorite. maybe tied with pringles. like it's a loving tiny piece of gum, come on, you really gotta reduce it from 10 to 9???

I don't often buy cereal (as i am no longer a child and sugary slop is terrible), but the last time i did recently for nostalgia it was hilarious how little there is in a box these days and how much a box costs. that one UK cereal photo is apt. I wish i had more before-times pictures: it's surprisingly really really hard to find before-times photos of consumer poo poo these days, thank u google

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Xaris posted:

mar 2020 poo poo paper shortages never ended, smdh
i noticed this a couple weeks ago and thought i was losing my mind. i didn't have an older roll to compare. sure enough

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Xaris posted:

some fun ones ive found:

the soviet union would had simply had a shortage, the power of the market!

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Xaris posted:

so what are some examples of shrinkflation that everyone has been noticing?

ive been one of the bigger trader joes proponents but they're undergoing subflation, or substitute inflation. almost all their frozen meat products are loving gnarly now, like orange chicken, pepperoni pizza, etc, while also costing a buck extra. highly recommend sticking to vegan/vegetarian diet there.

costco has, of course, been removing the more bulk budget-friendly options and replacing them with vastly smaller single-item foofoo 'organic' stuff for 2x the price

some fun ones ive found:

Is that supposed to be a whopper?! Wtf

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

getting 18 year olds to go into 100k debt

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

let them fix cake

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Some more fun shrinkflations:

mcdonalds chicken nuggets... chicken disks

chipotle burrito, now with less food poisoning

shrinkflation masquerading as QA problems

same loads! less weight. and people are still going to fill up to the line

need more fiber

same number of crackers on the box, but thinner. smart

cereal seems to be the most egregiously lol because they often have old stock right there. imo americans shouldn't eat cereal so really, nestle/kellogs/etc is doing americans a big favor by giving them 50% less for +50% price.

drat a 2x4 is smaller than my dick now.

lol i dont even have words for this. rube-goldberg machination to hide how small it is lol

taking away 50 ml but giving you back +25ml! wow! what a deal. b u y

Xaris has issued a correction as of 22:05 on May 14, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Ebola Roulette posted:

Is that supposed to be a whopper?! Wtf
i think so? ill go back and check, maybe it was a whopper jr but lol that its smaller than a fry

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

bold, i like it

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Xaris posted:

lol i dont even have words for this. rube-goldberg machination to hide how small it is lol

taking away 50 ml but giving you back +25ml! wow! what a deal. b u y

lol

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

the toblerone is egregious to me because it feels like an entirely new shape

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Xaris posted:

Some more fun shrinkflations:

lol holy gently caress

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Justin Tyme posted:

Not really important/sort of :goonsay: but the "chip bags are half-full!" thing was always a misconception. They're half-full by design because they need air in there to prevent damaging the chips. If you had a bag totally full of chips and filled a bunch of crates with them in semi trucks they'd all be dust when they arrived at the store. You're paying by weight, not volume.

Nope, it's mostly about presenting a product that looks big to the consumer. The size of the bag is a marketing driven decision. They sell 100% full bags of chips at warehouse/bulk stores and it works just fine.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
gonna have to goonsay the 2x4 one. they’ve been that size since 1964 when the sizes were standardized.

now you can still get lovely lumber, but for the most part the size will be correct.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Xaris posted:

You know how the Saudis threatened to execute lightbulb CEOS if they manufactured bulbs that wouldn't last a lifetime?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
2x4 has been a nominal measure for years though i assume at some point they were actually 2" by 4"

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

SpaceCadetBob posted:

gonna have to goonsay the 2x4 one. they’ve been that size since 1964 when the sizes were standardized.

now you can still get lovely lumber, but for the most part the size will be correct.
fair enough. but yeah quality is bad.

e: 2x4 is nominal standard size when cut, but it can shrink to various actual size depending on moisture content though can't it? so if lumber is shittier and wetter, it'll shrink more even if nominal size is the same

Xaris has issued a correction as of 22:48 on May 14, 2023

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Wasn't there something about how lumber is a lot less dense these days?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yeah we used up all the old growth

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Grapplejack posted:

i can't remember the last time I saw full shelves in the US lol

fuuuuuuuck

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
alright last post from me for the weekend before markets open. i'll need to consider other weekend content

lol just blatantly lying on the weight of meat now. technically illegal but hahahahaha this is america bitch

breyers changed from "ice cream" to "frozen desert treat" a few years ago and is total dogshit terrible, the worst ice cream frozen dairy treat ever.

engineering bottles to look taller ftw

shrinkflation masquerading as QA issues

now 30% less calories per package!!

$9 for a 6" subway sandwhich of gristle and floor meat. anyone still eating subway deserves their overpriced gristle slop

gatorade now 28 oz from 32 oz for +15% more. hell yeah

i was gunna make a snarky comment that notice how most shrinkflation is mass-produced consumer junk walmart food slop??? but it's really also just everything so i can't even make that comment.

not even scotts rear end-sandpaper chafer-supreme is safe

now with 15% more water. cant even trust the same jar anymore smdh

pillsbury toaster strudels so small they cant even fit in a toaster anymore and get lost like a sock in a dryer

bankers dozen

Xaris has issued a correction as of 22:51 on May 14, 2023

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

like a decade ago yea

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Xaris posted:

bankers dozen

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Well, I'm both mad and hungry now.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Xaris posted:

bankers dozen

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

genericnick posted:

Well, I'm both mad and hungry now.

i was hungry but then i saw the subway one and i lost my appetite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Xaris posted:

breyers changed from "ice cream" to "frozen desert treat" a few years ago and is total dogshit terrible, the worst ice cream frozen dairy treat ever.

ahahah is that what happened, makes sense now.