Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Gripweed posted:

All the gay guys in that movie look tired.

CPL593H posted:

You try furiously dancing all goddamn night in a windowless smoke filled night club.

Twice. They showed up at a club one night, told everyone "if you want to be in our movie, show up here again tomorrow dressed exactly like this."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

https://twitter.com/kibblesmith/status/1657493495131803649?s=46&t=Eph69498B1QxDhhh3gTqIg

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CPL593H posted:

That scene in Cruising where Powers Booth explains hanky code is cinematic perfection.

I learned about that code watching Killer Condom.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Is there a The Matrix thread that I could resurrect here? I was just talking with some friends and coworkers about how much that movie loving rocks and thinking about it afterwards, there are one or two exchanges between characters about which I'm curious. Both in the sense of their in-world meaning, and in the narrative sense. Namely, the police at the beginning of the movie:

These cops immediately seem to not get along with the Agents; their ranking officer is defiant and independent ("we sent them up already, they're bringing her down now", "don't give me that juris-my-dick-tion crap", etc.) towards the Agents. They're also (maybe the same actor) simply blown the gently caress away when Trinity and Smith hop across rooftops, as the above GIF shows.

It's established later that these people are unwitting participants in the system of the Matrix. I'm not really sure what I'm getting at here (drunkposting is not allowed) but I find this sort of story development really cool, that we only find out later that these guys may or may not have been free-willed men who just decided to become pigs in a world rife with hackers, where you'd think the system would make those crimes of paramount importance, so they're visibly, humanly, astounded to see superhuman feats by the Hackers and Agents just the same.

It's never even really made clear in the first movie what degree people plugged in to the system even have 'humanity', I guess. We're all trying to break free, just some harder than others?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Originally Will Smith was pursued to play Neo

A subtext that got lost with the casting of Keanu Reeves was that most of the people in Zion were black. They had more reason to be dissatisfied with the status quo and to seek the possibility of life outside the system

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Baron von Eevl posted:

They really shot themselves in the foot when they had a charismatic and capable actor playing a villain that was easily redeemable and sympathetic, even mostly right, and insisting on killing him off at the end of the first movie.

somehow Killmonger returned

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Mister Speaker posted:

Is there a The Matrix thread that I could resurrect here? I was just talking with some friends and coworkers about how much that movie loving rocks and thinking about it afterwards, there are one or two exchanges between characters about which I'm curious. Both in the sense of their in-world meaning, and in the narrative sense. Namely, the police at the beginning of the movie:

These cops immediately seem to not get along with the Agents; their ranking officer is defiant and independent ("we sent them up already, they're bringing her down now", "don't give me that juris-my-dick-tion crap", etc.) towards the Agents. They're also (maybe the same actor) simply blown the gently caress away when Trinity and Smith hop across rooftops, as the above GIF shows.

It's established later that these people are unwitting participants in the system of the Matrix. I'm not really sure what I'm getting at here (drunkposting is not allowed) but I find this sort of story development really cool, that we only find out later that these guys may or may not have been free-willed men who just decided to become pigs in a world rife with hackers, where you'd think the system would make those crimes of paramount importance, so they're visibly, humanly, astounded to see superhuman feats by the Hackers and Agents just the same.

It's never even really made clear in the first movie what degree people plugged in to the system even have 'humanity', I guess. We're all trying to break free, just some harder than others?

they're kapos OP

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Shinji Higuchi, after whom Shinji Ikari is named and who co-directed Shin Godzilla and directed Shin Ultraman, was director of special effects on Gamera: The Guardian of the Universe.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Gaius Marius posted:

Nobody in Thirty years is going to be watching Marvel movies. They're so disposable their entire cultural impact will be as if a quarter of the US just got blasted with the Men in Black memory eraser for a decade of cinema. They might as well have never existed

Unfortunately, though, the arc of film history bends towards critics and film nerds rehabilitating all the crap they watched when they were little and hadn't learned any critical thinking skills yet. Just look at the number of intelligent, well-versed critics who'll argue all day on Michael Bay's behalf, or for the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. In ten or twenty years, there'll be glowing critical retrospectives about the highlights of the MCU, and complaints about how Hollywood just doesn't make them like Thor Love and Thunder anymore. It'll all be very stupid, but it'll happen.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Black Lighter posted:

Unfortunately, though, the arc of film history bends towards critics and film nerds rehabilitating all the crap they watched when they were little and hadn't learned any critical thinking skills yet. Just look at the number of intelligent, well-versed critics who'll argue all day on Michael Bay's behalf, or for the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. In ten or twenty years, there'll be glowing critical retrospectives about the highlights of the MCU, and complaints about how Hollywood just doesn't make them like Thor Love and Thunder anymore. It'll all be very stupid, but it'll happen.

Michael Bay’s movies are all extremely good, and kids shouldn’t watch any of them.

I think you’ve got a blinkered perspective, because nobody talks about the actual trash from their childhoods.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Michael Bay’s movies are all extremely good

I generally like Bay's stuff, but The Island, Revenge of the Fallen, Age of Extinction and 6 Underground range from boring to outright terrible.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

The MCU has, for better or worse, standardized part of an art form into a very specific type of consumable product. In the same way that McDonalds standardized what a fast food cheeseburger 'should' look like, and how Disney itself became the template of what an amusement park 'should' be, the MCU movies now represent how an action movie with faux-clever dialogue 'should' be assembled. There's a certain comfortable familiarity in a McDonalds cheeseburger that appeals to a large percentage of the population; you eat it when you don't want something particularly challenging, or new, or different, you just want the familiar thing with the stuff that you like. The MCU movies work the same way for a similar percentage of people. It doesn't matter that you're not getting the best ingredients, or a novel presentation, or a particularly high degree of quality -- you're getting good enough, and it's a taste you've liked before, so there's no incentive to produce anything else. And in the same way that McDonalds is talked about as a part of 'Americana', the MCU movies will be treated the same way as part of the American film canon. You can produce hundreds, maybe even thousands of better American movies made in the last two decades, but for every one person you're going to convince to watch something uniquely American like The Last Black Man in San Francisco, you're still going to get twenty others who would rather watch Iron Man 2 again. :shrug:

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Timby posted:

I generally like Bay's stuff, but The Island, Revenge of the Fallen, Age of Extinction and 6 Underground range from boring to outright terrible.

Yeah, this. Like, I tend not to like Bay's stuff, but I think he's also made good movies and I think even some of his bad or mediocre ones have something interesting in there to keep the experience from being completely worthless. But when critics and film nerds try to rehabilitate the stuff they grew up with, there's no room in for a perspective like that, or even one that's generally positive but admits some flaws. The argument has to be a blanket statement like 'all of his movies are extremely good', or something sweeping and ridiculous like that. And the same thing will happen to the MCU, the Star Wars sequels and every other reasonably popular movie people rail against now.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pain & Gain is incredibly funny if you're into bodybuilding.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It's just incredibly funny

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Mister Speaker posted:

Is there a The Matrix thread that I could resurrect here?..

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3896717&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

This is the latest matrix thread I believe. Unless you just meant thread as a topic of conversation here.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Black Lighter posted:

But when critics and film nerds try to rehabilitate the stuff they grew up with, there's no room in for a perspective like that, or even one that's generally positive but admits some flaws.

Maybe the solution is to not give a poo poo about random critics think.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Black Lighter posted:

I think you're over-estimating the power that bad critics have. Even good ones who can stand the test of time aren't really all that influential outside of movie nerd circles.

If a particular critic is doing a genuine re-evaluation then the "final" judgement isn't guaranteed to be approval. And if they make a solid or interesting argument for something then that's cool and good!

Most critics are bad at criticism, true. But if they just repeat the same white noise then that they said now, it will look less convincing not more.

I'd be interested in people trying to defend the pirate movies! I've read enough attempts to defend the MCU to be pretty confident it's estimation can only go down amongst movie fans if not general audiences, but I'd still be willing to check out a serious argument in their defense.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I can see defenses of Curse of the Black Pearl as a “they don’t make em like they used to” movie, just a huge budget, wildly-scoped blockbuster that actually plays within that scope and doesn’t ever get too self-silly about its stakes. Now the other two in that trilogy, I won’t defend, and I didn’t bother past those.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Rehabiliting the MCU will probably be more akin to rehabilitating Denver the Last Dinosaur than, say, the prequels.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

porfiria posted:

Rehabiliting the MCU will probably be more akin to rehabilitating Denver the Last Dinosaur than, say, the prequels.

People will probably limit their efforts to the stuff leading up to and including Infinity War/Endgame and not give a poo poo about what comes after. History repeating.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

porfiria posted:

OK I know you guys hate the MCU but it is genuinely unhinged to compare the franchise which completely dominated the box office for a decade and changed how blockbuster movies are made to an unpopular cartoon that ran for two seasons.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I liked Denver when I was a kid :(

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, he's my friend... and so much more :wink:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's going to be more like the death of the Western than anything else. The MCU will collapse and people who grew up with them will remain nostalgic for them, but general audiences will move on. Something else will reign, and the superhero genre will have auteurs occasionally play in the sandbox to try a new revisionist twist on them for the next 50 years.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Mister Speaker posted:

Lower and middle class people who side with massive controlling entities against the best interests of their own class is how cops work in real life too.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I think you’ve got a blinkered perspective, because nobody talks about the actual trash from their childhoods.

As someone who goes to two different comic book stores every week I'm going to strongly disagree with you here. These guys absolutely will not shut the gently caress up about it if anything.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Ambulance was great too!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

feedmyleg posted:

It's going to be more like the death of the Western than anything else. The MCU will collapse and people who grew up with them will remain nostalgic for them, but general audiences will move on. Something else will reign, and the superhero genre will have auteurs occasionally play in the sandbox to try a new revisionist twist on them for the next 50 years.

I think this is probably the better comparison. But we already have had plenty of "revisionist" super hero stories already, Hancock came out two loving months after Iron Man.

The real wild card is going to be the fact that major companies base so much of their worth on these characters. Disney can't just stop making Marvel movies for a couple decades, they need to be generating value from that IP.
We're seeing it with Star Wars right now. Dialing back, putting out some cheap TV shows for the hardcore fans to keep that fanbase active and consuming, but holding off for a few years until a "New Star Wars movie" would be a big thing again for mainstream audiences, would be best for the franchise. Exactly what happened after the original trilogy and the prequel trilogy. But Disney can't do that, they spent too much loving money on the Star Wars brand. So they keep announcing the production of a new movie or trilogy, but then it's never heard from again because they don't actually know what to do with it. They have to make something.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'm sure Disney is not ignorant to the fact that no matter how successful these things are they come with an expiration date. When the Marvel and etc properties are no longer generating big returns they'll just absorb some other media company to milk a different cash cow. They're very good at it.

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot
I’m not sure where it was — it might’ve been on The Big Picture podcast or possibly this very forum!! — but I saw someone suggest that the lasting cultural impact of the MCU might end up being similar to those star-studded 70s disaster movies like The Towering Inferno. They were really huge at the time and still have name recognition but nobody really watches or cares about them anymore. And I don’t feel like they have the continuing legacy or fecundity that westerns still do.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Lobster Henry posted:

I’m not sure where it was — it might’ve been on The Big Picture podcast or possibly this very forum!! — but I saw someone suggest that the lasting cultural impact of the MCU might end up being similar to those star-studded 70s disaster movies like The Towering Inferno. They were really huge at the time and still have name recognition but nobody really watches or cares about them anymore. And I don’t feel like they have the continuing legacy or fecundity that westerns still do.

You have to remember that we're looking at westerns through the lens of time. So for every Wild Bunch or Stagecoach or The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly there are dozens of disposable films that absolutely no one remembers. Those things might have made money in the 50s and 60s but the world moved on without them. It's like those youtube comments on music videos that are like "Music now is so bad, not like when I was a kid." but take any given classic album and look at what charted alongside that and you'll see a long list of poo poo you've never heard of or that collects dust in your local thrift store.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Towering Inferno didn't have a multibillion dollar operation working to make sure you never forgot about it ever.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The short version of what I'm saying is that when art becomes a business of course there's going to be an awful lot of it that's disposable. That's how it's always been and will be. I would just like it if maybe they put some movies for adults on a couple of those screens they use for Action Figure of the Month: The Movie.

Mantis42 posted:

The Towering Inferno didn't have a multibillion dollar operation working to make sure you never forgot about it ever.

It did have that ride at Universal Studios where the truck slid through the floor and exploded.

(That is my entire frame of reference for that movie.)

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 14, 2023

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Adorno and Horkheimer in 1947 posted:

Culture today is infecting everything with sameness. Film, radio, and magazines form a system. Each branch of culture is unanimous within itself and all are unanimous together. Even the aesthetic manifestations of political opposites proclaim the same inflexible rhythm...All mass culture under monopoly is identical... Films and radio no longer need to present themselves as art. The truth that they are nothing but business is used as an ideology to legitimize the trash they intentionally produce.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

This movie I’m watching has so many upsetting anuses.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Gripweed posted:

The Holy Mountain is a pretty wild movie.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

How did you get the fabled Butthole Cut

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gripweed posted:

Turn on ur monitor

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Now Adorno, tell us how you feel about jazz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Timby posted:

The Island and 6 Underground are two of my favourites!