Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Snooze Cruise posted:

the three killers thing isn't done in that much of a proud of itself "subverison!" way. and the actual moment with two ghostfaces on screen feels way more subversive. also the movie has the fun bit of kirby preemptively calling them losers when she is like "at least roman did it by himself."

non problematic ghost dad rules, sorry dork!

Your spoiled part is why that works, even if the total reveal is a fart. Just having a point where there's no possible way protagonists could screw it up and having antagonists break every movie's rules to get an advantage again is why it worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
Did the movie ever confirm if Dermot Mulroney himself did any of the killings, one way or the other?

Going by the Charles Manson case he'd still counts as a murderer in the eyes of the law regardless, but I think we're to understand that he's the mastermind/accomplice and there were still two ghostfaces as usual.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Did the movie ever confirm if Dermot Mulroney himself did any of the killings, one way or the other?

Going by the Charles Manson case he'd still counts as a murderer in the eyes of the law regardless, but I think we're to understand that he's the mastermind/accomplice and there were still two ghostfaces as usual.

It seems like its him in the beginning? The "who gives poo poo about movies" line feels like something he would say more than his kids.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
The ghostface that racks a shotgun in the bodega is more than likely that person

between that, the mention of a dead kid, (which had more complexity that was cut out according to the director) and the roomie resembling the actor who played richie in the last movie this was the first scream where it was somewhat obvious early on.. the sister swerve not so much, just based on the absolute suspension of disbelief required for that body swap explanation to even work in the slighest

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 5, 2023

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I had Dermot Mulroney ID'd as one of the killers almost immediately because for one thing I don't think you cast him just to be a random cop, but then also his character felt like it was very similar to Patrick Dempsey's character from Scream 3 and I figured that they wouldn't repeat that exact same red herring

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
The biggest contrivance for me, in a movie that required you to just nod and go "sure why not"; no one in NYC keeps a loving extension ladder in their apartment.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I thought it was obs because they're not gonna let an old guy live and survive for the next movie

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

The biggest contrivance for me, in a movie that required you to just nod and go "sure why not"; no one in NYC keeps a loving extension ladder in their apartment.

What if he's the building handyman?

The biggest contrivance for me was the size of the protagonist's apt, there's no way they could afford that place.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

ruddiger posted:

What if he's the building handyman?

The biggest contrivance for me was the size of the protagonist's apt, there's no way they could afford that place.

There are very few 1-2 floor residential buildings in this city, so the extension ladder is fairly useless here. I have comically high ceilings that make replacing lightbulbs a pain in the rear end, and it's A-frame ladders all the way. Stored somewhere in the building cuz no one wants that taking up space.

That dude pulling out an extension ladder from next to the window was straight-up cartoonish if you thought about it, but it's scream

While I'm on this, this movie could have actually been shot in NYC. Montreal for NYC is pretty lame. It's also not 1970 so there are no train cars where all the lights come in and out, it's all lovely fluorescent tubing slowly being replaced by LEDs. For some reason I actually thought they shot this here, given how hard they push the NYC setting on all the advertising..and it really doesn't register at all other than that one subway sequence.

e: it's such a goofy detail too..like if the dude had used a folded 12 step A-frame ladder instead, it serves the exact same story purpose..but it's not as dramatic on screen since that wouldn't be flimsy and wobbly like the extension ladder..i can bet you 100% this was an actual conversation the on set dresser or props master had

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 5, 2023

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Not that it affected my enjoyment of the movie, but I couldn't help but notice that the very first scene was set in a giant alley in NYC, a city with virtually zero alleys.

I don't usually try to solve movies and didn't really suspect anyone in Scream 6, although I clocked both killers in Scream 5 the second they appeared on screen, they both just read as cuckoo.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Human Tornada posted:

Not that it affected my enjoyment of the movie, but I couldn't help but notice that the very first scene was set in a giant alley in NYC, a city with virtually zero alleys.

I don't usually try to solve movies and didn't really suspect anyone in Scream 6, although I clocked both killers in Scream 5 the second they appeared on screen, they both just read as cuckoo.

we do have one iconic one that literally everyone shoots in:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortlandt_Alley

lotta foot traffic though and I don't think I've ever been on a shoot where we were allowed to close it off while shooting

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I thought the ladder scene was fun and tense, even if it was never touched on that Mindy's girlfriend was trying to cross the alley with a gaping stomach wound but we've walked that sort of thing off in horror movies for a while now so it's fine.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

I had Dermot Mulroney ID'd as one of the killers almost immediately because for one thing I don't think you cast him just to be a random cop, but then also his character felt like it was very similar to Patrick Dempsey's character from Scream 3 and I figured that they wouldn't repeat that exact same red herring

I called it at the shrine. Only a cop can get all that poo poo together from so many crime scenes. I had been counting throughout the movie how many killers there were. I knew it was two at least until the finale surprised me.

Liked the movie. Agree that it's comfort food and will never top Wes work because Wes was a loving master. The constant need for everything to top the next or "live" up to it is the underlying thread in all these movies. It's impossible to do. The directors did a great job and I can tell they get it.

1>4>2>3>6>5. I like them all though.

I need to rewatch 2 and 3. Haven't seen them since release.

RBX fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 6, 2023

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

zer0spunk posted:

... between that, the mention of a dead kid, (which had more complexity that was cut out according to the director)

Got a link or anything? All I can find is stuff about the mom getting murdered by the younger son because she didn't go along with the dad's murder plot, unless that's what you're referring to

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Friend posted:

Got a link or anything? All I can find is stuff about the mom getting murdered by the younger son because she didn't go along with the dad's murder plot, unless that's what you're referring to

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/scream-6-spoilers-explained-directors-neve-campbell-stu-1235548929/

Were there any Kirby scenes that didn’t make the final cut?

Gillett: There was a brief interaction between her and Bailey in the murder wall scene when they’re standing in front of the whiteboard. Bailey kind of repeats what Quinn told Tara earlier, that his son died, he moved to the city to be close to his daughter, his wife left him because she couldn’t look at him anymore because he reminded her of their dead son. We were steering too into Bailey being a suspect. And it was real estate that was being used to repeat information the audience already had.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 6, 2023

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

From that interview:

Well let’s talk about the decision to have (spoiler redacted) killers —

Gillett: Maybe (spoiler redacted)! Sam!

I don't think it's hit them how much this whole "maybe Sam will become a psycho killer just like her dad!" is just NOT landing at all. I'm fine with it as a quirky character beat for her, but not once have I ever been convinced she's actually gonna go there. If they ever pull that trigger they're going to have to do a lot more work to convince me and not have it come off obnoxious and stupid.

I'm intrigued that Samara Weaving was filmed talking to the Ghostface voice the whole time and they altered it entirely in post through ADR. I wonder how they got that to work without changing any of her lines?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
it cracks me up how nervous they were according to that interview to do the upfront mask reveal opening sequence thing because it's so different than what these movies do and they thought the audience would hate it or whatever

meanwhile, that was the most interesting part to me before it went right back to formula..I want a weird rear end scream...give me that one nightmare on elm street that went full meta but..ya know..good this time

they've become this real routine whodunnit with ever-increasing goofy reveals and even the slasher bits are getting extra dumb. stabbing characters 50 times and they live is just..huh

I don't think it's hit them how much this whole "maybe Sam will become a psycho killer just like her dad!" is just NOT landing at all. I'm fine with it as a quirky character beat for her, but not once have I ever been convinced she's actually gonna go there. If they ever pull that trigger they're going to have to do a lot more work to convince me and not have it come off obnoxious and stupid.

yeah. this is totally where they are trying to go, and as i said before tyler durden skeet is just seriously awful all around. you're right that there's no real way to make this work without it being really stupid, but I think they'll continue to have her spiral a little more in each new outing until we get there. it's like if breaking bad were done by 14 year olds

e2: the other thing that i liked in that interview was the full support of neve saying no to doing it for what they offered her. that was also one of the few things i liked in the film, the fact that they give her a nice nod instead of some petty line about how she's addicted to meth now or something. i'm glad they left it alone

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 7, 2023

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

meanwhile, that was the most interesting part to me before it went right back to formula..I want a weird rear end scream...give me that one nightmare on elm street that went full meta but..ya know..good this time

That was Scream 1.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

"I really hate all these things the Scream series does and is about... welp time to watch the 6th one"

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Darko posted:

That was Scream 1.

nah, go even more 4th wall break, get weird with it

TheKingslayer posted:

"I really hate all these things the Scream series does and is about... welp time to watch the 6th one"

You'd be surprised how far the goodwill of one good movie can go. Plus, Scream (1996) is on my shelf, none of the rest of them have made it past a single watch. I also love the irony of someone with a GOT username giving me poo poo for hatewatching

e: I'd even argue these movies forgot what the series does and is about. The first scream is a clever commentary on all of the popular horror tropes that lead up to it in the context of the era it came out in. By scream 6, it's reduced to a cutesy back and forth between hayden and jasmin for all of 3 minutes.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 7, 2023

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Never watched the show because I read the books :shrug:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

nah, go even more 4th wall break, get weird with it

Funny Games

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

ruddiger posted:

Funny Games

Funny Games + Scream is just Better Watch Out (which I liked)

I'll play along though..what exactly did scream 6 bring to the overall "meta commentary" of this series? they realize they are in a franchise, and thus get the plot armor of known characters in franchise films? eh. Even the redditor thing from 5 was better than that and I thought that was super lame

This movie almost feels like a stab sequel they'd show on a TV somewhere in the earlier films, full circle to the stuff they were making fun of the first time

e: they really nailed the feel of a dimension/miramax horror sequel..it's up to you to decide if that's a positive or minus though

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 7, 2023

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
or just fully lean into it and give me ghostface: in space already...jason x was at least a watchable kinda dumb

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think it's pretty obvious that they don't have much of anything to say.

Or if they do, they aren't willing to go there because it'd destroy anything meaningful about the reality of their film series.

It's also really hard to square away the evil ghost dad stuff with the film commentary, which to me is a pretty good indicator of how far these films have drifted from being Scream films. They're more like films set in the Scream universe.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

zer0spunk posted:

or just fully lean into it and give me ghostface: in space already...jason x was at least a watchable kinda dumb

Jason went to New York before he went to space.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Open Source Idiom posted:

evil ghost dad stuff

it is kinda depressing that the best way they could think of to link the legacy characters to this new bunch was..that. for..what exactly? so she ends up a ghostface by sequel fifteen or whatever?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There’s a fun irony in having Billy’s daughter and her half-sister being best friends with Randy’s niece and nephew.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

ruddiger posted:

There’s a fun irony in having Billy’s daughter and her half-sister being best friends with Randy’s niece and nephew.

Don't give them ironic murder ideas for scream 13: summer of sam

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

zer0spunk posted:

e: I'd even argue these movies forgot what the series does and is about. The first scream is a clever commentary on all of the popular horror tropes that lead up to it in the context of the era it came out in. By scream 6, it's reduced to a cutesy back and forth between hayden and jasmin for all of 3 minutes.

Something to remember is that nu-Scream treats Scream the way Scream treated horror movies. Scream 5 is about toxic fans who insist on keeping Scream going in exactly the formula they want in perpetuity, and don't care if they actually kill the heart and soul of the series in the process. In Scream 6 the family of one of those toxic fans tries to blame Scream for making him an obsessed fan and ultimately destroying his life, but it is in fact they, the family, who ruined his life for being lovely enablers.

The theme to both is "Please stop making Scream movies." This has actually always been one of the themes going all the way back to the original.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Something to remember is that nu-Scream treats Scream the way Scream treated horror movies. Scream 5 is about toxic fans who insist on keeping Scream going in exactly the formula they want in perpetuity, and don't care if they actually kill the heart and soul of the series in the process. In Scream 6 the family of one of those toxic fans tries to blame Scream for making him an obsessed fan and ultimately destroying his life, but it is in fact they, the family, who ruined his life for being lovely enablers.

The theme to both is "Please stop making Scream movies." This has actually always been one of the themes going all the way back to the original.

I dunno, this seems like a pretty bad argument. Isn't it just the literary equivalent of stop hitting yourself?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
of all the criticisms you can make of 5 and 6... they don't have anything to say is one of the most baffling

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Open Source Idiom posted:

I dunno, this seems like a pretty bad argument. Isn't it just the literary equivalent of stop hitting yourself?

I don't think it's an explicit argument - I'm sure nobody in Radio Silence is ready to just refuse the paycheck of a new Scream movie on principle. It's more a meta point of view of the characters.

Like in the trailer for the next Indiana Jones they have Jonathan Rhys-Davies all like, "I miss the adventure, Indy!" and when you think about it Indy should be all "You mean when we got repeatedly captured by Nazis, thrown in snake pits, dragged by trucks, and almost got our faces melted off by the Ark of the Covenant? What are you, a masochist?"

In Scream it's made plain that it sucks to be a character in a Scream movie and on some level it's a little messed up how we keep putting them through the ringer for our amusement. One of my favorites is the end of Scream 2 when Sidney is surrounded by all kinds of happy ending mise en scene bullshit but she herself is clearly not in a happy mood at all.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
If they ever wrap up Scream, it better be with a full-on New Nightmare style piece of metafiction where the characters kill the screenwriters who keep putting their lives through hell

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

of all the criticisms you can make of 5 and 6... they don't have anything to say is one of the most baffling

Nahh. I don't think these films make solid, consistent arguments.

e.g. Scream (2022) is attempting to make some sort of argument about toxic fandom and their expectations of / demands for formula. I read it as a condemnation of their attitude, with their deaths being, you know, a symbolic rejection of their arguments. Scream films shouldn't be formulaic. But both the fifth and sixth films are incredibly formulaic, so the point the fifth film makes is essentially moot.

The most radical thing the sixth film does, the opening, doesn't really pay off in any meaningful way. It's a red herring. It seemingly promises a different kind of film, one where we watch the series from the killer's perspective, but then the regular Scream style film reasserts itself 13 minutes in.

In being a series of opening death fake outs, it's essentially a straight version of the parody the fourth film opens with, which that film used to indicate what the series might look like if it ended up eating itself. So, in my eyes at least, the seemingly radical opening to the sixth film not only isn't particularly radical, but it's also something of an own goal.

Beyond this, the sixth film also draws on some ideas about modern franchise films, most obviously explained during Mindy's big The Rules speech, but those points just seem wrong to me -- and aren't really bourne out in the film itself. Which I could see maybe being the point of the thing except that the script makes such a big deal about Mindy doubting her ability to read film trends and then ultimately being validated. Also it would render the film incredibly ironic, and, i dunno, see the thread title.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I'm getting nonstop ads for Scream VI now that it's on Paramount+ and Barrera is in none of them. I get that Ortega is a big deal and Cox is Cox but Barrera's the main character and she is no where to be found.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

She’s not very good in both movies honestly. I’m not trying to be mean. It could be the directors fault. She’s better in 6 especially towards the end but yeah. Ortega was the stand out

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

They gave her nothing to really work with other than vague "mental issues".

They even gave her the exact same ending as the last one so who knows if it's even going anywhere or gonna be dropped. (like it should've been dropped in this one)

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

mutantIke posted:

If they ever wrap up Scream, it better be with a full-on New Nightmare style piece of metafiction where the characters kill the screenwriters who keep putting their lives through hell

Melissa Barrera as Melissa Barrera, losing her poo poo after one too many tweets making GBS threads on her acting decides to wear the Ghostface mask and start killing cast and crew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

CelticPredator posted:

She’s not very good in both movies honestly. I’m not trying to be mean. It could be the directors fault. She’s better in 6 especially towards the end but yeah. Ortega was the stand out

Melissa Barrera did a good job in VI but she was absolutely poor in Scream V. It didn’t help that Ortega had barely anything to work with in that movie and still managed to act circles around her. When VI was announced I was so convinced they were gonna cut their losses with her.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more I think Barrera was doomed from the get go. In Scream 5, she just gave a poor performance, which was heightened by the fact her costar outshined her in every scene she was in, sharing the final girl spot, plus Neve Campbell was back and she is beloved, so she had to crush it out of the gate and unfortunately didn't.

Then she does redeem herself in 6 with a stronger performance, but fans were a little salty about Neve Campbell not being in it. And then her costar blew the gently caress up and became a megastar before the movie came out, and everyone is talking about her, and she's hosting SNL opening weekend and being lead guest on the Tonight Show while Barrera is the third guest on a tuesday on Seth Myers.

A bad first impression and Hollywood timing. She never stood a chance.

(For what it's worth, Radio Silence likes working with her and they're doing a movie right now, so maybe she'll be ok regardless.)

fart blood fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 27, 2023