Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

Wow, the first player to have his career shortened by carpel tunnel

fortnite ruins the team yet again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Some rumblings that Columbus may hire a coach this week.

https://twitter.com/CBJcenter/status/1657742302473777153?t=n10DZJZOJecsxE8jI4d-VA&s=19

Jesus Christ, if they just go with Pascal Vincent and call it a day, I'm probably done.

I would be glad if Vincent made me eat crow, but rookie coaches never tend to work out with this team.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Koopa Kid posted:

Great post boxc but I find it hard to figure out what the diagrams relate to because every time I read the text around them all I see is “The Leafs are so hosed” repeated 200 times??

One of our teams is probably gonna pay him like $15 million on his next deal. Hopefully he gets surgery or something before then!

ThinkTank posted:

That was a really great writeup boxc and thank you Jhet for the follow up. I'm not a player so I can't put into words the mechanics he has, but that sums it up. He's just the best modern style shooter we've seen. He doesn't need to pull it out to his strong side to shoot, he can keep it very close to his body and still get the same accuracy and velocity. If that's a technique that's being widely taught I imagine his effectiveness will wane as time goes on and players enter the league who use it as well and goalies/systems adapt to account for it. Right now I think a lot of it is "wait what you can't shoot from that part of your stride how did he do that?" To use an example I can think of, he can fire a wrist shot from the hash marks with the same mechanics you'd use to chip a puck in from right by the net. It just does not look like a wristshot of any power should be possible when you fire it like that. Like if a pitcher went through the motions to throw a curveball but when it came out of his hand it resulted in a 100mph fastball down the middle.

Yeah, it'll definitely be something people get accustomed to, but it'll take a few years. You can see it in that toe-drag highlight video. Like, this is just bad junior-level defending:

You won't even really see that from like Tony D in the NHL, even. Pretty much any NHL-level player would get a Grade-A opportunity off of that. The stick is nowhere the puck. But this one:

...that's actually not bad. The defender's stick is exactly where most guys would end up on a toe-drag-and-shoot. But Bedard's top hand is like right near his ear, so he's able to shoot with his stick near vertical and the puck basically below his whole body. Normally you would shoot about 30 feet over the net if you tried that, but he's able to turn his wrists over so quickly that he ends up in an extremely pronounced pronation in the course of his shot:

...which not only helps with keeping the puck down, but it disguises the location of the shot a bit since it's late in the shooting motion (again, Kessel does this really well sometimes by looking top right corner and just pronating his stick to shoot lower left pad, like a Magic Johnson no look pass), and it helps with the speed of the shot since it's the last little "snap" motion of it.

That first goal won't really happen in the NHL. The second goal will happen, at least for a while, at least until it's Because It's The Cup time.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

It used to be wild watching Matthews shoot cause he could get shots off from any hand/stick position. Now he seems so slow.

Also Chicago should be fine if they don't hire Peter Chiarelli to trade all their assets to accelerate a fool proof rebuild cause you need Milan Lucic and Griffin Reinhart and stick them in a 5 year hole.

But Chicago should hire Peter Chiarelli or Scott Howson.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Jim Benning would be acceptable. Or Brian Burke.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
The Rise and Fall of Auston Matthews and the Spiders from Toronto.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

jeremy roenick deserves a shot at running a team imo and what better way to start that part of his journey than by returning to chicago

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
Chuck Fletcher for Chicago. He's not the GM they need, but he's the one they deserve.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

fawning deference posted:

There are still a lot of players who have grown up rooting for the Blackhawks, and a lot of players who do think it's cool to wear an O6 sweater.

Even without that particular appeal, Chicago is a big popular fun sports city, it's not hard to see why players might want to sign there more than most places especially if they are successful.

It's funny to think Bedard was in like, kindergarten when the Hawks got their first title in year 3 of the Kane/Toews era

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mr. Fish posted:

Chuck Fletcher for Chicago. He's not the GM they need, but he's the one they deserve.

The irony being the last time(s) Minnesota made the 2nd round, Fletcher was the GM and they lost those 2nd round series to the Chicago Blackhawks. That made it 3 in a row they lost to Chicago from 12-13 to 14-15.

Fletcher for Chicago.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Great posts about shooting techniques, cheers

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

One of our teams is probably gonna pay him like $15 million on his next deal. Hopefully he gets surgery or something before then!

Fun fact: in the handshake line Auston’s right wrist was wrapped, the wrist he had surgery on back in 20-21 was his left. Also the recovery time for that surgery was only 6 weeks, so if it was a similar issue in his right side you’d imagine he would have had that treated in the off-season or even early/mid season to be healthy in time for this year’s playoffs, but he didn’t.

So it stands to reason that whatever’s bothering his other wrist is somehow less treatable or has worse outcomes for intervention than his previous injury, which he did more or less recover fully from. Doesn’t cast doubt about his career moving forward at all!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I've been speaking to Gordie Howe's family and they tell me that the problem is they keep trying to transplant Datsyuk's ankle tendons into Matthews' wrist, so maybe just stop doing that?

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I'm no expert, but maybe they should have shut down Matthews for a bit if he was playing through a wrist injury all year. The Leafs were pretty much locked into A2 since the All-Star break, and its not like they've ever cared about putting a quality product on the ice.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Here is the same thing as earlier but from the OHL. Its a McDavid Comparison.
pre:
Connor McDavid	2.55
Marco Rossi	2.14
Mitch Marner	2.00
Dylan Strome	1.90
Matthew Tkachuk	1.88
Quinton Byfield	1.82
Cole Perfetti	1.82
Andrei Svech	1.64
Sam Bennett	1.60
Shane Wright	1.49
Nick Suzuki	1.48
Jack Quinn	1.44
Mich Dal Colle	1.42
Max Domi	1.36
Sean Monahan	1.34
Alex Nylander	1.32
Tyson Foerster	1.29
Kerby Rychel	1.28
Logan Brown	1.25
Owen Tippett	1.25
Gabriel Vilardi	1.24
Brendan Perlini	1.22
Nick Ritchie	1.21
So Bedard is actually further ahead of his peers than McDavid was of his.

Not sure what the deal with Rossi is and why his scoring doesn't translate to the NHL.

Dylan Strome played with McDavid that year, so his numbers are skewed. He did play about 30 games without him and his ppg were 1.6 or so.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

It's possible the surgery is only x% successful cause wrists are complicated and its safer to just play through the pain and rehab. Surgery isn't a magic bullet.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mr. Kite posted:

Not sure what the deal with Rossi is and why his scoring doesn't translate to the NHL.

He is a decent prospect putting up a ppg in the AHL, but his major issue was he got an incredibly severe case of covid in 2020 that kept him out of training for almost a full year.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I'm no expert, but maybe they should have shut down Matthews for a bit if he was playing through a wrist injury all year. The Leafs were pretty much locked into A2 since the All-Star break, and its not like they've ever cared about putting a quality product on the ice.

The Leafs treatment of injuries overall has been maddening for years, but it’s not like they don’t consult doctors or think about the long term. There’s kinds of injuries that won’t get better with rest/time but also won’t get worse with further use, he did get time off a couple times during the season and obviously didn’t improve in any lasting way.

The ‘21 surgery was notable because it happened late enough in the off-season that Matthews had to miss the start of the season even though he’d had the injury since early spring, he was clearly hoping to not have a procedure and waited too long.

I’m hoping/betting that it’s the same thing this time but with a much longer recovery time, he hoped that he’d heal up in the summer, didn’t, and by then he’d miss too much of the season or potentially all of it if he went under the knife.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

It's possible the surgery is only x% successful cause wrists are complicated and its safer to just play through the pain and rehab. Surgery isn't a magic bullet.

This is the worst-case scenario (for teams, obviously) imo, cause it basically means he’s like this forever and his greatest talent is just gone. It’s been a full off-season and over a calendar year since this injury occurred, he’s had as much time as any active NHLer can have to work it out and hasn’t.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Koopa Kid posted:

Fun fact: in the handshake line Auston’s right wrist was wrapped, the wrist he had surgery on back in 20-21 was his left. Also the recovery time for that surgery was only 6 weeks, so if it was a similar issue in his right side you’d imagine he would have had that treated in the off-season or even early/mid season to be healthy in time for this year’s playoffs, but he didn’t.

So it stands to reason that whatever’s bothering his other wrist is somehow less treatable or has worse outcomes for intervention than his previous injury, which he did more or less recover fully from. Doesn’t cast doubt about his career moving forward at all!

It's not an enviable position. I woke up the day after a game in high school and my wrist was "clicking" every time I rotated it and felt weird. The grip on my pinky and ring finger on my left hand felt weak. I didn't remember getting slashed too bad, but the doctor hypothesized that it might have been a delayed reaction, or maybe I had it and then slept on it wrong, or who even knows. It didn't get better at all, so they gave me a little removable cast to attempt to immobilize it. I got an MRI on it and X-Rays, but the doc basically said that there's nothing that popped out, and it's really hard because wrist X-Rays and MRIs look like this:

because there's so many bones and ligaments and all kinds of poo poo in that area that it's hard to pinpoint exactly what is wrong. Even just all those bones getting dislodged can cause poo poo. So their best guess was that it was an ulnar nerve thing:

...and to immobilize it as much as possible and wear the wrist thing during the rest of the season. I went back at some point for a follow-up later because it felt like I didn't have as strong grip strength, but it turns out I did--I just can't feel it that much in that pinky and ring finger. Thankfully, I'm a lefty in hockey so so it wasn't my top-hand, so I just compensate by taping my stick up with a lot of tacky poo poo to help me "feel" the grip since then. In baseball, I was a switch hitter but basically exclusively went lefty after that because it didn't feel like I could grip the bat well as a righty. It felt like I had to just "trust" that I was gripping it as much as I thought.

To this day, even though the clicking in my wrist seems to have stopped, it still feels like I have a worse grip. Maybe that's legit nerve damage, maybe that's psychological, but the thing I'd worry about with Auston is that he's spending so much time compensating for it and it's so long that it's been hosed up that he might not psychologically recover from it. Or maybe there's not much that can be done with surgery without potential further injury. Or maybe he bites the bullet, does some surgery, takes time off, and it's a placebo thing enough for him that he regains his confidence.

Hands/wrists are just so weird. I have a goose-neck deformity on my ring finger on the other side from a baseball injury that never fully healed, but I've never really noticed that at all from a grip perspective. So who knows!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Koopa Kid posted:

The ‘21 surgery was notable because it happened late enough in the off-season that Matthews had to miss the start of the season even though he’d had the injury since early spring, he was clearly hoping to not have a procedure and waited too long.

Players hate getting surgery right at the beginning of the offseason and spending their only 3 months off rehabbing from it. Especially if it means you can't play golf, which IIRC Matthews is really into even by pro athlete standards.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

He is a decent prospect putting up a ppg in the AHL, but his major issue was he got an incredibly severe case of covid in 2020 that kept him out of training for almost a full year.

Sounds like a recipe for someone taking a flyer on him after Minnesota gets fed up and people being surprised when he does well

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Very informative but yet again, all I can see is “The Leafs are so hosed” over and over again, maybe worth getting your keyboard checked out :v:

Eric the Mauve posted:

Players hate getting surgery right at the beginning of the offseason and spending their only 3 months off rehabbing from it. Especially if it means you can't play golf, which IIRC Matthews is really into even by pro athlete standards.

It’d be pretty funny (and fitting) if Matthews’ wrist being hosed had absolutely no impact on his golf game while making him bad in the playoffs, but I imagine there’s a happy medium in there somewhere and seems like guys elect for surgery at any/all times of year generally speaking.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

ThinkTank posted:

Any underlying conditions that could cause a fit 20yo to have a severe case of Covid?

Also, when looking up those stats, I noticed something odd.
In the 18/19 season, Rossi had 1.23 ppg and Quinn had 0.52 ppg.
In the 19/20 season, Rossi had 2.14 ppg and Quinn had 1.44 ppg.

So Rossi had a jump of 74% and Quinn had a jump of 177%. Any particular reason for those jumps, especially Quinn? I assume more playing time but those are huge jumps.

Also, why are the 67's called the "67's" with the apostrophe? What do they possess?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Koopa Kid posted:

Very informative but yet again, all I can see is “The Leafs are so hosed” over and over again, maybe worth getting your keyboard checked out :v:

Lol

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mr. Kite posted:

Any underlying conditions that could cause a fit 20yo to have a severe case of Covid?

Not that I'm aware of but it was pre vaccines and some folks just got unlucky with how badly it hit them.

quote:

So Rossi had a jump of 74% and Quinn had a jump of 177%. Any particular reason for those jumps, especially Quinn? I assume more playing time but those are huge jumps.

Nothing more than you would expect from a good prospect with higher end NHL potential. That's a pretty standard progression for a D/D+1 growth and generally what you want to see. Wyatt Johnston went from 30pts in 53 games to 124 in 68. The CHL is very seniority driven (as the 20 year olds will generally not have a career after that) so so much of scoring is opportunity. Good scouts are looking for those players that have talent but aren't getting the ice time.

There's also a law of diminishing returns. A guy who goes from 40pts to 80pts is seeing 100% growth. A guy who goes from 80pts to 120pts is seeing just 50% growth but they are 40pts apart in scoring both years.

quote:

Also, why are the 67's called the "67's" with the apostrophe? What do they possess?

No reason that I'm aware of. It's short for 1967s which is when they entered the OHL and Canada's centennial. So it should really be '67s I guess.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mr. Kite posted:

Also, when looking up those stats, I noticed something odd.
In the 18/19 season, Rossi had 1.23 ppg and Quinn had 0.52 ppg.
In the 19/20 season, Rossi had 2.14 ppg and Quinn had 1.44 ppg.

Rossi had issues with myocarditis from Covid, and the Austrian doctors let him play at the juniors with it which likely exacerbated it. So he took a year to even get close to where he’d been before it, and another few months before showing development again.

My theory is he hasn’t put on the muscle mass like he might have without the year off, and just physically wasn’t there yet to play top minutes in the NHL. So instead they played Sam Steel on the top line because he’s physically large enough to play against the top defenders. When he’s come up he’s just been pushed around where he can use his skating to beat guys in the AHL still.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

The only good issue of a Sun newspaper

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
the sex shop ad at the bottom of the page is the (pink)cherry on top

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Nightmare scenario: after failing once more to advance meaningfully past the second round, McDavid demands a trade ....to Chicago.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
McDavid needs to be traded to a winner where he can create his own legacy, the Detroit Red Wings

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I'll enjoy our swan song season and wherever McDavid goes after two years.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

AsInHowe posted:

McDavid needs to be traded to a winner where he can create his own legacy, the Detroit Red Wings

Nah, just go to the Blackhawks

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I hope Chicago can be as incompetent as the Oilers are

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Run the team back, trade yamamoto and ceci. RIP season ruled that round did not.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Run the team back, trade yamamoto and ceci. RIP season ruled that round did not.

what will they do with Campbell? fresh slate in the fall do you think?

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
The Oilers are back baby

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Starsfan posted:

what will they do with Campbell? fresh slate in the fall do you think?

Not much they can do. They have the year to sort it out. Hope Skinner keeps improving and Campbell bounces back. If he stinks you replace him at the deadline since they're finally out of ltir hell and can accrue cap space all season.

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007
8 years of nurse at 9.25 start next year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

manpurse posted:

8 years of nurse at 9.25 start next year

Started this year!

He's overpaid but also was saddled with Ceci all season who outright fuckin sucked. Nurse away from Ceci was very good.