Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

I guess if you automatically full-heal and cleanse debuffs every few rounds and also spam stronger shields which cleanse debuffs, and every attack heals you, and getting attacked heals you, and you have some aoe, even an underleveled ungeared character can kill bosses before they hit the berserk stage.

Asta is E2 but has no traces leveled, +0 blue relics, and her light cone is just lv50. SU is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Eimi posted:

Sampo does kind of suffer because he doesn't feel great until you hit just one enemy left and his skill stops doing no damage to a bunch of things and focuses. I also have to imagine Kafka will help out with that issue since he's the best source of the wind dot.

Sampo rarely leaves my team. He chews up the break bar of anything with a Wind vulnerability, he's a reliable source of AoE damage (both Wind and full AoE often being team gaps otherwise), his ATK is higher than Seele's with how I have him equipped, and watching Wind Shear do its work never gets old. He was the first 4* I took to 50, then to 60, even if he's just at E1.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Seele and Welt in SU6 with hunt blessings are insane. Just constant turn resets and delays. Cleared most of it without any of the enemies having a turn.

Bronya attacked once. Cocolia got a total of 8 turns before just getting slammed over and over by Welt/Seele.

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

I can't remember the last time I saw a game which supports controllers which doesn't have an invert camera option. Is there a work around?

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
As for the great jade debate, I usually spend jade on one or two 60-stam refreshes per day (50 and 75). Never more than that, because it's diminishing returns as the cost rises, and not every day. But with so many areas that eat stamina in order to properly hone characters, I enjoy the little boost, and I remember one thing very well from when I played Genshin -- the pity system is largely incompatible with full F2P.

Yes, I may get there once in a blue moon. But if there's a specific character that I want, it's easier to say that the game will either give them to me or it won't on a puncher's chance, because it's unlikely that I'll earn enough in F2P grinding to reach pity thresholds more than once in a very long while. I've seen too many times when I've saved for someone, burned through everything I had and ended up with a whole bunch of nothing new because I didn't have a truly massive stockpile.

I'll take who I get, build them up if they seem worthwhile, and have no regrets if my interest fades from running the daily treadmill.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

GateOfD posted:

at the small cast and low limits concentrating on your 4-6 mains its..dundundun about two or so 10 rolls? oh noo

Yeah, I looked ahead to the future potential banners people datamined and unless they start introducing like....9S or final fantasy crossovers I don't really care about any of them. The characters I have are fine.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Not wanting characters makes sense, if that's you, then yeah it makes total sense to spend it on stamina and build up who you got. But if you like getting new characters, I don't understand how "it takes forever to hit pities" is an argument for making it take even longer. Maybe I've misinterpreted what Delfin is saying.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Sometimes it’s just better to use the 2000 gems to make 4 demigod builds than 18 3* light cones and 2 4* light ones

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

People can do whatever they like but there's no challenging content that requires level 80 units or w/e yet so it feels very like, why rush.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Let’s just say the Clara in my universe can kick the Clara in yours butt.

(Disclaimer: I don’t have a Clara)

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

big cummers ONLY posted:

Not wanting characters makes sense, if that's you, then yeah it makes total sense to spend it on stamina and build up who you got. But if you like getting new characters, I don't understand how "it takes forever to hit pities" is an argument for making it take even longer. Maybe I've misinterpreted what Delfin is saying.

What I'm saying is, I can be 100% thrifty and I can save every single jade I earn and I can focus my efforts on one specific character to come, and the primary driver as to whether I get them or not is luck, not thriftiness, because as a F2P the odds are VERY good that I won't have enough pulls to hit pity when that time comes.

Obviously, if I have saved enough for four 10-pulls instead of one, my odds are better, right? Right. But as a F2P who'll be waiting for new mission content for more than-a-trickle income, I can live a spartan existence and grind hard and _still_ have no guarantees of getting any particular new character because I simply won't have that kind of jade coming in.

As long as there's no one specific newcomer that simply breaks the game and you're useless without them, I'll use whoever I get when luck decides to strike, and if there _is_ one specific newcomer that simply breaks the game, the game has bigger problems.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

The final phase of SU5 Kafka kicked my rear end

I'm humbled

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Meowywitch posted:

The final phase of SU5 Kafka kicked my rear end

I'm humbled

Cheat with Abundance. It really did trivialize the fight. Running Nat, Sampo, Welt and Fire MC.

Nat rarely had to heal.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Okay I think I understand what you're saying. I read your first post as if you were saying there's no way for anyone to ever hit any kind of consistent pity, not just someone with your play pattern. If it's important to someone that they ARE able to reliably hit a pity sometimes, it's more efficient to never buy stamina. But if you don't care about characters, it makes sense to go hog wild refreshing

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

they should rerecord clara's ultimate voice clip it's really bad

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Gotta go, need to shower

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

big cummers ONLY posted:

Okay I think I understand what you're saying. I read your first post as if you were saying there's no way for anyone to ever hit any kind of consistent pity, not just someone with your play pattern. If it's important to someone that they ARE able to reliably hit a pity sometimes, it's more efficient to never buy stamina. But if you don't care about characters, it makes sense to go hog wild refreshing

Pretty much that, yeah. Whether it's possible to hit meaningful pities without spending cash is left as an exercise for the reader to determine. And even then I'm not going hog-wild, so to speak, as the cost-return ratio drops with every daily refresh.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

big cummers ONLY posted:

But if you don't care about characters, it makes sense to go hog wild refreshing

It still doesn't really make sense to me, because what are you getting from the refreshing, a few more trace materials? Some extra relics? None of that would be sufficient to make inroads to the actual sweaty content (MoC, basically; if you're having issues with SU at level 60 you're doing something wrong that has nothing to do with stamina usage) the same way some of the better banner characters would. :shrug:

E: I guess if you're trying to turbo-rush to EQ4/Trailblazer 50? but sheesh that'd take a lot of jade.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Stamina has the most value right now because most accounts are still at the somewhat linear part of increasing their characters power, and the game has only been out for 2 or so weeks so 10 extra days of stamina is meaningful. By the time the game has been out 6 months or whatever any amount of extra stamina gained now is probably pretty inconsequential to your overall power and I would have much rather had the extra rolls toward pity. Also it is unlikely anything in the game will be that difficult that maxing out your characters is necessary anyway.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 15, 2023

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
It’s also a question of how long you think you’ll play the game. I’m not burning jade on stamina but it’s no stranger to me than saving for characters that are months away. I’d love for content to come out fast enough that I stay engaged but odds are good I’m not still playing in six months.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

ultrachrist posted:

It’s also a question of how long you think you’ll play the game. I’m not burning jade on stamina but it’s no stranger to me than saving for characters that are months away. I’d love for content to come out fast enough that I stay engaged but odds are good I’m not still playing in six months.

EXACTLY. You pulled this thought directly out of my mind.

And I don't want it misconstrued -- I _like_ this game. I think it's very well-crafted so far, with humor and balanced challenge and a ton of exploration to do. I've been playing the heck out of it. But do I expect to be playing it, say, four banners from now?

Probably not? Because it's episodic gacha content and I've played my share of episodic gacha games (including Genshin) and they all tend to fall into a similar lifecycle pattern for me.

LAUNCH: Everything is new and exciting and I get invested in the characters and the storyline and I plow through what content is available.

WAITING: Mundane story/recurring content is complete. During the waiting time for the next patch with the next event or content or banner to pull on, I run the treadmill and grind out items and upgrades and components to make my characters a tiny bit stronger, because challenging recurring content remains (like FHall 15 for me right now) and I want to fine-tune them to clear that.
^^ -- WE ARE *HERE*

PATCH: New characters get added. Maybe I get them, probably I don't. New content is added, and I run through that, either in the form of a short-duration event or an occasional main story continuation.

WAITING: See above.

PATCH: See above.

Genshin was like this for me. I enjoyed it very much while it lasted. New content came out that was disappointing (the ice realm, which was a kick in the balls to try to navigate and neatly disrupted the explore-almost-anywhere vibe that the rest of the game had, and a multiplayer event that was really poorly implemented and buggy), and that cooled my ardor for a bit. I continued to run the treadmill for another couple of weeks and collect plants and potions and powerup items and whatever I needed to add an extra 2% now and then to my hitters' attack stats. And then I found myself wondering... why am I still doing this? I've gone as far as it'll let me go, I'm running the same routes over and over, and I'm just making incremental upgrades now. And I reclaimed the download space on my phone.

For the moment, I am in that first WAITING phase. I am still engaged. I still have a tiny bit of high-end content to clear with who I have, aka getting those last six stars in Forgotten Hall. I'm hoping that they're pretty good about keeping this one fresh so that my interest will last longer. But saving up 16000 Jade and sitting on it for six months because Character X Is Coming In World 7 doesn't click with me if I happen to get bored in World 3.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm here for the story more than anything I think. Genshin bored me to tears on that front so once the gameplay got old I was out of there.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've been playing what I consider fairly casual since release and I'm already out of stuff to do. No quests and cleared all of the content that I care for without trying to push beyond my limits (LVL 13+ forgotten memories).

I'll do some more of the SU because I enjoy it but nothing else is currently in my quest log.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
Honestly once you hit the content end just walking away till the next content drop like it was a RPG mini expansion is a totally fine way to play. The only thing you really would miss is some resources from Daily/Weekly stuff, and if you are not gonna be trying to pull for many characters that is not an issue anyway.

Play the way that makes it fun for you, stop when you are not having fun.

Screw FOMO.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm here for the story more than anything I think. Genshin bored me to tears on that front so once the gameplay got old I was out of there.

I’m kind of the opposite but it’s also early in the game’s life and maybe it’ll go places so I’m willing to stick it out for a bit

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah if you don't care about what characters you'll end up pulling in the future, everything you'll want to do will almost definitely be doable with characters you already have. The main stuff you might need stronger characters for is Memory of Chaos, but the only point of that (beyond challenge for its own sake) is to grind more jade, so if you don't care about jade in the first place then no problem. If playing that way also helps you avoid FOMO that might lead to spending money you might want to spend, it's definitely a good call. I'm still at baby AR level in Genshin, and never cared about characters in HI3 because the story gave you trial characters anyway, so I don't really know yet if I'll have the patience to push Chaos every week, but if I end up falling back to just story and events (and maybe dailies since they're ridiculously fast here) in the long run, I feel like it's better than getting caught in the circular reasoning of wanting to spend more real money to get good characters so I can clear Chaos to get more jade to get good characters. But it's still really early as far as these things go, so I'll wait and see how I feel in a month or two.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

delfin posted:

Genshin was like this for me. I enjoyed it very much while it lasted. New content came out that was disappointing (the ice realm, which was a kick in the balls to try to navigate and neatly disrupted the explore-almost-anywhere vibe that the rest of the game had, and a multiplayer event that was really poorly implemented and buggy), and that cooled my ardor for a bit. I continued to run the treadmill for another couple of weeks and collect plants and potions and powerup items and whatever I needed to add an extra 2% now and then to my hitters' attack stats. And then I found myself wondering... why am I still doing this? I've gone as far as it'll let me go, I'm running the same routes over and over, and I'm just making incremental upgrades now. And I reclaimed the download space on my phone.

The correct way to play Genshin (and to make this relevant to the thread, the correct way to play Star Rail) is to stop playing when you begin to burn out on the treadmill that keeps up engagement and - critically - stay away for multiple patches at once to allow a large amount of content to build up. The unfortunate truth is that while the 6 week patch cycle is ludicrously fast for a GaaS title it's still not enough content to do more then string you along if you're not already invested. You will get much more enjoyment out of the game if you've allowed enough content to release, unplayed, for you to really sink into for a couple weeks before everything is exhausted once more.

Granted this will have the additional effect of not being able to keep up on banners if you're F2P, but thems the breaks sometimes. It's worth considering that Hoyo intentionally does not make story content difficult and if you wanted to simply revisit Star Rail every six months for more space opera excitement with your best friends March 7th and Dan Heng I 100% believe that'll be possible forever.

I will say that once you're at Dailies-And-Log levels of playing Star Rail it seems way more accommodating than Genshin ever was, so if you are of a mind to stick around even between patches it'll be much less of an imposition then Genshin, or other equivalent titles.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

the dailies are so much faster than genshin and that helps a lot

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Meiteron posted:

The correct way to play Genshin (and to make this relevant to the thread, the correct way to play Star Rail) is to stop playing

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

the problem ive had with not playing genshin for months is the multiple one-time-only events that have important character and plot beats that i guess i have to go watch a youtube recording of

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Pain of Mind posted:

Stamina has the most value right now because most accounts are still at the somewhat linear part of increasing their characters power, and the game has only been out for 2 or so weeks so 10 extra days of stamina is meaningful. By the time the game has been out 6 months or whatever any amount of extra stamina gained now is probably pretty inconsequential to your overall power and I would have much rather had the extra rolls toward pity. Also it is unlikely anything in the game will be that difficult that maxing out your characters is necessary anyway.

exactly, eventually your characters will be upgraded and it wont matter. should you stam refresh on a brand new account? No. would it be worth it to stam refresh on an account that is otherwise cleared all story content and has the characters that they know will be able to clear content for some time but everything is all underleveled to curb stomp/autobattle the content like you want?

if yes, go hog wild, eventually you won't need to because it'll be upgraded and by then maybe some characters you're actually interested in will show up to justify actually pulling. You'll probably be playing the game you enjoy for an hour or two.

if no, then just do what content you can and log off 30 minutes later until your next check in to stamina dump and refresh material assignments before you go to bed and "actually" play the game tomorrow morning, and then play 30 minutes in the morning until you again run out of stamina and content

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

it depends on how you view the game i guess, I view gacha games as a marathon where I will get there eventually, it doesn't matter if I get there slower than other people so there's no point spending to accomplish anything faster unless i have a specific goal I'm trying to meet. Being able to use more characters that appeal to me is the primary goal so definitely saving as much currency as possible for them is my ideal. I don't mind when a game runs out of content because I know more will be coming eventually and for now I can just play for 20 minutes to spend my stamina and go do something else. But there's no point trying to change someone else's view on how they want to play the game unless they are asking for advice on it. If crunching thru content as fast as possible and seeing how far you can get with what you have excites you, by all means have fun. Personally, in a game w/ level progression like this, I don't see any advantage whatsoever to pushing the boundaries of what I can accomplish in the midgame when I can just wait a week/month/year and accomplish the same thing with 0 additional effort.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

El Burbo posted:

the problem ive had with not playing genshin for months is the multiple one-time-only events that have important character and plot beats that i guess i have to go watch a youtube recording of

yeah i can't stand gachas that dont have any sort of event replay or archive... it feels like such a waste to have such a significant portion of a game's writing be inaccessible to casual players or latecomers

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
The autobattle AI is inefficient enough, and the UI responsive enough, that I think it might actually be faster to clear calyxes by hand.

The main upside is that autobattle lets you tab out and complain about it online while it's running.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I auto calyxes but I do relic farming manually. Helps that I have the phys/break relic cavern down to a science. Gotta save Serval's ult to break the exploding fist robots before they can even set up their explosion!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

FractalSandwich posted:

The autobattle AI is inefficient enough, and the UI responsive enough, that I think it might actually be faster to clear calyxes by hand.

The main upside is that autobattle lets you tab out and complain about it online while it's running.

This is in fact huge though.

Like, forcing you to actually engage with the game every day is a good way to burn out on it, imo. That was one of the biggest flaws with Genshin; it just takes too much attention to do its pointless daily grind.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

the autobattler can figure out "buff Seele and have her annihilate everything" just fine, literally the only thing where you benefit from manual control is SU bosses

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Excelzior posted:

the autobattler can figure out "buff Seele and have her annihilate everything" just fine, literally the only thing where you benefit from manual control is SU bosses

it unfortunately doesn't care about cleansable status effects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I find that I also lose to the weekly bosses on autobattle.