Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

OMGVBFLOL posted:

the kid in me is still bummed that the a380 wasn't much of a success. i want to see big chungus ocean liners in the sky. imo the airliner variant of the C-5 being cancelled was the point where human progress stalled and began its long regressive slide into ignorance superstition and fascism

Lufthansa and Qantas bringing their A380 fleets back as demand surged "after" Covid is either their last gasp, or a sign that there is a market for them on very specific routes - the trans-oceanic long haul routes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MrYenko posted:

Ya, that’s right on target for modern Boeing. It’s the “famously looking forward to make sure their airplanes don’t have glaring systems integration issues that directly result in hull-loss accidents” part that they dropped the ball on.

A very strong argument can be made that Southwest Airlines is one of the largest contributing factors to the 737 Max debacle.

Type certificates are a hell of a drug.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wombot posted:

Lufthansa and Qantas bringing their A380 fleets back as demand surged "after" Covid is either their last gasp, or a sign that there is a market for them on very specific routes - the trans-oceanic long haul routes.

Lufthansa bringing back their A340s is actually the bigger indication toward there being a market.

However that’ll probably come in the form of an A350neo variant. Delta is probably burning up the phones at Toulouse asking for the longest possible A32x neo and A350s right now.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
A380 remains the most surreally stable flight I've been on. Maybe just exceptionally clear weather that day, but really felt more like being on the deck of a stable ship than being on an airplane.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

hobbesmaster posted:

Delta is probably burning up the phones at Toulouse asking for the longest possible A32x neo and A350s right now.

Bring back the DC-8-63

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Bring back the DC-8-63

I'm...................comfortable they were retired.

Fun fact, the largest aviation disaster on Canadian soil* was a crashed DC-8, the largest aviation disaster to an aircraft registered in Canada was also a DC-8

*I mean sure the Air India bombing was terrorism based in Canada but that 747 exploded over international waters so I don't think it counts

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Bring back the DC-8-63

So is the last seat like being strapped into a bouncy chair?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Bring back the DC-8-63

this long boi made me want to bump this post which has become almost an intrusive thought:

hobbesmaster posted:

edit: two challenger 600s:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Just imagine if the Canadian government somehow propped up bombardier even more and they survived to start selling lots of the c series.

So let’s do some length comparisons
CS100/A220-100: 35m

CL65: 20.85m
CRJ: 26.77m
CRJ-1000: 39.1m

So… obviously through some fine Canadian engineering we could have a 1.875 stretch factor to create a 65.6m CSeries. I’m certain there would be absolutely no physics problems with this.
Boeing 757-300: 54.4m
Boeing 767-400: 61.3m
A340 200/300/500/600: 59.4/63.6/67.3/74.7
Boeing 747-SP: 56.3m
Boeing 747-100/400: 70.6m

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Arson Daily posted:

Yes Boeing, famously forward looking when it comes to what it's customers and their customers want in a new airplane

As others have mentioned, that specific part of Boeing is actually pretty exceptional. Their 330 number wasn't a wild-rear end guess. They knew. In particular, what they realized that Airbus didn't was that passengers wanted more frequent and direct service, meaning more smaller long-ranged aircraft. Airbus thought landing capacity at major airports would be a bottleneck. This wound up being true at Heathrow but not many other places.

Now if only they could also make good airplanes.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 15, 2023

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Thanks for the tips a few weeks ago guys. After tons of weather delays, I finally got to go up last night. It wasn't in a 172, but a Piper PA-28-161.

Point form thoughts:
- this poo poo is great and I wanna go back
- but I can't afford to both sail and fly (and shoot guns and play pc games and...)
- It was about an hour and I flew 90% of it. All he did was taxi out, show off a stall, and take over on the base leg for landing.
- on that note, taxiing is way easier than in MSFS/DCS
- kept reminding myself to look outside and not death grip, so that went well
- it was more serene and less vibraty/buzzy than I expected, but on the other hand all the other sensations (wind, Gs, turbulence) are way more intense
- had to keep looking out for traffic as we were between two international airports, one of which (Pearson - YYZ) is extremely busy

A tremendously hosed up thing happened though. My phone went off mid-flight and I ignored it. When I got back to the car I called back, and my friend was asking me questions about transponders and poo poo. A few hours later we learn his brother-in-law had a fatal crash in his personal 182 right around the time I was flying. So...yikes.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Thanks for the tips a few weeks ago guys. After tons of weather delays, I finally got to go up last night. It wasn't in a 172, but a Piper PA-28-161.

Point form thoughts:
- but I can't afford to both sail and fly (and shoot guns and play pc games and...)
- It was about an hour and I flew 90% of it. All he did was taxi out, show off a stall, and take over on the base leg for landing.
- it was more serene and less vibraty/buzzy than I expected, but on the other hand all the other sensations (wind, Gs, turbulence) are way more intense
- had to keep looking out for traffic as we were between two international airports, one of which (Pearson - YYZ) is extremely busy

A tremendously hosed up thing happened though. My phone went off mid-flight and I ignored it. When I got back to the car I called back, and my friend was asking me questions about transponders and poo poo. A few hours later we learn his brother-in-law had a fatal crash in his personal 182 right around the time I was flying. So...yikes.

consider gliding. Usually much cheaper and frankly, much cooler. :whatup:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

A stretch CS/A220 is absolutely in the works. Bombardier said as much in previous interviews (designing it with stretches in mind) and recent reports show the -500 almost a sure thing now.

The biggest biggest risk for Airbus is probably cannibalizing 32x sales, but if they can't deliver 32x orders, the bigger risk seems giving the orders to Boeing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Well of course it is, but the question is whether we’ll get some properly absurd long jets.

Airbus would probably be happy to basically only product A321neo XLRs or whatever and shift A319 and maybe even A320 sales onto another line.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
LOL at the A319

Type Orders
A319neo 92
A320neo 3,995
A321neo 4,667

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You’d think that manufacturers will learn that the shortest version of any airframe rarely actually sells

318, 319neo, 736, MAX7, 338neo, 342,

The exceptions that come to mind are the 332 which did about as well as the 333, and the 735 which did very well.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You’d think that manufacturers will learn that the shortest version of any airframe rarely actually sells

The exceptions that come to mind are the 332 which did about as well as the 333, and the 735 which did very well.

I suspect it may be one of those things where being offered is important. There are many tiered products where the lowest end one is basically just there to make the middle tier look better.

For aircraft though stretches always seem to be more popular than cuts. That makes sense if the operating cost of the airframe doesn’t change too much as you change it’s length. The fuel saved by running a full A319 vs a 90% or whatever A320 may not make up all the other costs from maintaining all the parts from the larger normal version. So they become very specialized, like for London city specifically in the case of the Airbus. The most successful “cut” was probably the 747SP which was a combination of no ETOPS+special very long routes.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Wombot posted:

i still see them routinely blasting off from SFO so that scans

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Point form thoughts:

That all sounds really cool and reading posts like this makes me want to stop being a flight sim nerd and try strapping myself into a flying bathtub irl some time

quote:

aaand nope, never mind, staying on the ground or in passenger aircraft that have a spare engine and anti-ice equipment on board.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

aaand nope, never mind, staying on the ground or in passenger aircraft that have a spare engine and anti-ice equipment on board.

neither of those are gonna save you in the most common light aircraft fatality situations, which are CFIT in instrument conditions by non-instrument-rated pilots, and skidding turns on base to final.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

sure, but if humans were capable of reasoned evaluation of danger, nobody would ever willingly operate a motor vehicle, and we'd all live in walkable villages

e: which sounds nice

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Um, hello, according to that logic

Zero One posted:

A319neo 92
A320neo 3,995
A321neo 4,667

Getting rid of the A319 would decimate the A320 orders :smugdog:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
This really depends on the aircraft but often those small versions are not much different from the larger one that it’s worth offering just in case someone wants a few. It’s not like the A319 has a separate line and different tooling.

Or sometimes it was just the first offered (like 787-8) and originally sold well as the only option before the stretches existed.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

So if the short original version is the one that doesn't sell, that implies a stretch A380 for success? Go for 1,500 people per plane and get them GHG per person kilometer right down.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Yeah, I’ve read somewhere that the A380-900 design was the ‘balanced/normal’ version of the A380.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

OMGVBFLOL posted:

sure, but if humans were capable of reasoned evaluation of danger, nobody would ever willingly operate a motor vehicle, and we'd all live in walkable villages

e: which sounds nice

Flying a light aircraft is dramatically more dangerous than driving a motor vehicle, especially if you wear your seatbelt and don't drink and drive.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Mortabis posted:

Flying a light aircraft is dramatically more dangerous than driving a motor vehicle, especially if you wear your seatbelt and don't drink and drive.

It's roughly on par with motorcycling per passenger mile traveled, if I recall correctly.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

It's roughly on par with motorcycling per passenger mile traveled, if I recall correctly.

IIRC fixed wing GA is slightly safer than motorcycles and helicopters are even more dangerous than motorcycles.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

The thing with the A319 is that none of the frame sections it removes (it is a shrink of the the 320 after all) none of the missing frame sections are fuel tank sections. So the 319 actually has more range than the 320, thus a better ETOPS certification. It has a reason to exist other than ‘is shorter’

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Jonny Nox posted:

The thing with the A319 is that none of the frame sections it removes (it is a shrink of the the 320 after all) none of the missing frame sections are fuel tank sections. So the 319 actually has more range than the 320, thus a better ETOPS certification. It has a reason to exist other than ‘is shorter’

It also mounts literally the same engine, but has a lower thrust requirement, so any engines that get rebuilt but can't make full power to go back on a 320 end up on a 319 until EOL. It's a good ecosystem.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Before it imploded, Bombardier was threatening to make another stretched version of the Dash 8, although given that the Q400 essentially couldn't flare (the tail hits the ground at 6 degrees nose up), that would have either required somehow making the main gear taller or just turning the airplane into a taildragger.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

It also mounts literally the same engine, but has a lower thrust requirement, so any engines that get rebuilt but can't make full power to go back on a 320 end up on a 319 until EOL. It's a good ecosystem.

The more questionable one is the A318 with only 80 sold and no neo variant offered.

The Wikipedia article on the A318’s history is interesting and I’d be interested in a more thorough history. Apparently it originated out of the exploration of a Chinese joint venture for a 100 seat aircraft in the mid 90s. “Market research” indicated that there was actually demand for a 70-80 seat aircraft and the deal fell through. Airbus went ahead and made the A318 anyway and was trying to book orders right after 9/11.

It’s funny how the Brazilians seemingly came out of nowhere with a clean sheet design to absolutely nail that 70-80 seat market.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Mortabis posted:

not dramatically, they're in the same ballpark. i wasn't so much comparing one to the other but comparing both to other activities. both are, by a wide margin, the most dangerous part of the day for someone who does them

e: well, most people, most days. the day you base jump or share needles has driving and flying both beat

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 16, 2023

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

IIRC fixed wing GA is slightly safer than motorcycles and helicopters are even more dangerous than motorcycles.

And helicopters are really only more dangerous because the work they often do increases the risk.
I'd rather have an engine failure in a helicopter than an airplane.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

And helicopters are really only more dangerous because the work they often do increases the risk.
I'd rather have an engine failure in a helicopter than an airplane.

source your quotes

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i mean i guess you die faster and with higher certainty so that could be considered positive

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Sure, if you have nice flat areas to land in, a plane is relatively safe, but if you don't, you're arriving at the scene of the crash at best glide speed.
In a helicopter, (depending on wind, etc), you arrive at at less than 20mph and often in a cabin that has way better crash resistance than most small aircrafts.
Especially in the terrain we fly in (Boreal forest, muskeg, etc) with very few open areas, I'll take a helicopter any day. Even if we can't find a spot, at least we can choose the arrival speed.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

I did the math on it once and this is correct, though I can't remember if it was per mile or per hour.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Sure, if you have nice flat areas to land in, a plane is relatively safe, but if you don't, you're arriving at the scene of the crash at best glide speed.
In a helicopter, (depending on wind, etc), you arrive at at less than 20mph and often in a cabin that has way better crash resistance than most small aircrafts.
Especially in the terrain we fly in (Boreal forest, muskeg, etc) with very few open areas, I'll take a helicopter any day. Even if we can't find a spot, at least we can choose the arrival speed.

You aren't landing at Vg. In a C152 or similar you'll be touching down at like 35 knots. City street speeds.

Also in a fixed-wing plane you have about a 10:1 glide ratio instead of 4:1, and you're operating at 5000 feet instead of 500, so you have an order of magnitude more time and distance to pick your spot.

I'll take the fixed-wing (and the fatality stats bear this out)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I would simply not crash the plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Warbird posted:

I would simply not crash the plane.

Pulling the chute still counts.