Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

who's saying this?

someone hit me with your spiciest image of char aznable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

who's saying this?

many people are saying this (negative)

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

drrockso20 posted:

Considering some of the crazy poo poo I've already seen people make in that game it's only a matter of time before someone makes a fully functional Gundam in it

https://twitter.com/moimoithebanana/status/1657818474461253639

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Nessus posted:

Thanks for the words

To explain what I mean by quantifiable, I mean that the theory of how psychic brainwaves works is understood well enough that Zeon is able to build the Elmeth, which seems to work fine (at least with Lalah driving it) and the same technology is used to produce Bits and Funnels. Given that this isn't mass-produced I assume it's an unusual but identifiable factor (Glemy deals with it by cloning Ple, which is an efficient way to address the issue I suppose) and it can be produced with the Cyber Newtype process, that is something that presumably people study and write papers about and poo poo.

So basically the chain would be "this psychic factor exists, and was associated with Amuro Ray, who is generally agreed to be a newtype" -> "this psychic factor is 'Newtype'" -> "this psychic factor arises easily in space and was first developed by Zeon" -- it's a chain of poo poo. Newtype is used to mean a ton of things which I like because it's a messy concept, like "freedom" or "good Star Wars."

To jump back in the thread a bit, I get where you're coming from now, but the problem remains that even identifying Newtypes as "people who can use a Psycommu" is kind of fraught as well. You can definitely, quantitatively state that there are people who can generate the correct brainwave to use that system, and that you can artificially (and hideously) modify someone to have that brainwave, but what does that mean? After all the chain of reasoning of "Newtype=Psycommu User=Space-adapted human" collapses instantly in multiple ways. Some people clearly become able to use the Psycommu after a period of time where they couldn't, there are people who are from Earth who can use a Psycommu, the population of natural Psycommu users is so varied and disparate it's not possible to properly call them a race of humans at all, it's quite possible there are some people with psychic or preternatural abilities that might not be able to use a Psycommu (that was a big deal in Gundam X, but the existence of that kind of Newtype is unconfirmed in UC Gundam), relatedly is using a particular weapon even necessarily an adaptation for space, and perhaps most importantly for the big idea cosmology, is being able to use that kind of weapon REALLY what makes a person a "Newtype"?

Once again that last charter is unenforceable on every level in large part, and it ties back into that repeated question of what exactly a Newtype even really is. A lot of the tragedy of Newtypes comes from them being seen only in terms of their various magic powers, not the kind of hippy transhuman things those magic powers could mean. Looking at Newtypes as Psycommu using pilots vastly restricts that whole "Potential" thing Unicorn kept banging on about.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Newtype controlling psychommu doesn’t make sense because it misses the point.

Newtypes get access to the newtype chat room (the mind link space stuff) and that makes them newtypes. They also control psychommu through the chat room, but that’s colored as a misuse in every instance.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
For the purposes of government identification, the existence of functional artificial newtypes muddies criteria like "can use psycommu weapons", "can communicate through thoughts/emotions", and "can sense/predict the near future". If you take an oldtype and stick him through the cyber newtype wringer, does he get a seat in parliament now?

(Aside from the aforementioned absurdity of a government writing "if evolved humans come into being, give them a place in government" into their foundational charter, of course.)

Kanos fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 15, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Omnicrom posted:

To jump back in the thread a bit, I get where you're coming from now, but the problem remains that even identifying Newtypes as "people who can use a Psycommu" is kind of fraught as well. You can definitely, quantitatively state that there are people who can generate the correct brainwave to use that system, and that you can artificially (and hideously) modify someone to have that brainwave, but what does that mean? After all the chain of reasoning of "Newtype=Psycommu User=Space-adapted human" collapses instantly in multiple ways. Some people clearly become able to use the Psycommu after a period of time where they couldn't, there are people who are from Earth who can use a Psycommu, the population of natural Psycommu users is so varied and disparate it's not possible to properly call them a race of humans at all, it's quite possible there are some people with psychic or preternatural abilities that might not be able to use a Psycommu (that was a big deal in Gundam X, but the existence of that kind of Newtype is unconfirmed in UC Gundam), relatedly is using a particular weapon even necessarily an adaptation for space, and perhaps most importantly for the big idea cosmology, is being able to use that kind of weapon REALLY what makes a person a "Newtype"?

Once again that last charter is unenforceable on every level in large part, and it ties back into that repeated question of what exactly a Newtype even really is. A lot of the tragedy of Newtypes comes from them being seen only in terms of their various magic powers, not the kind of hippy transhuman things those magic powers could mean. Looking at Newtypes as Psycommu using pilots vastly restricts that whole "Potential" thing Unicorn kept banging on about.
Absolutely, I meant that there was a quantifiable physical category that has significant overlap with the metaphysical qualia. In other words, you don't have to appeal to morality or philosophy entirely to say "spacenoids are newtypes and should be in the government even if we outnumber the Earth man and he has to deal with only hogging the Space Senate instead of both Space Houses of the legislature" -- you can point to this science, which the Federation itself did and I believe even called "Newtypes."

e: the point here isn't that it would be correct in a "general" sense, but that it would be valid enough that Full Frontal, or whoever, could point at Federation Newtype research and go "Oh my god, he admit it!" But as you or someone else said, the scandal isn't that there was some fluff statement in the original charter; it's that they deliberately suppressed it for over 90 years.

Though this gets a little fraught, hilariously for the same reason I think this Unicorn plot element makes no sense -- I gather the literal translation of the phrase used in Japanese for "cyber newtype" is more like "enhanced human," but they were specifically told "translate it like this." And similarly I suspect the big article about "including newtypes in the administration" is a specific translation of a Japanese phrase, which probably has other, clearer translations into English.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 15, 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I don't know, that Char fellow and that Scirocco guy certainly had some pull.

Neither of these say anything about whether that person is 'good' or 'should be put in government.' No matter how many people Gallup say are pulling for Char in the next PM election.

Also Amuro is frowning at you all from beyond the time as you try and quantify what a Newtype is. My take is that this kind of quibbling about the definition of a Newtype is exactly what robs the box of what little real power it held. Deikun was a hilarious coincidence, and gave just enough of a hook to blow the box way out of proportion. Any push the box gives, aside from what Gaius posted, will get diluted by the debates over what exactly a Newtype is. Contolists would argue that all Spacenoids are Newtypes. The Federation will say Newtypes don't exist. Academics will argue over the finer points of psychic phenomena and what constitutes as legitimate vs illigitimate. And the general public will lose interest in three months.

And, for what it is worth, anything less that what the Contolists would claim is a massive slap in the face to the space immigrants. The space borne diaspora all have various political and material interests that could be represented by grouping them as independent nation-states, but only the super-special psychic ones are worthy of that recognition?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
They said they were planning on further exploring the gap between Unicorn/Hathaway and F91/Victory, right? That's gonna be interesting to see

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Anything to distract from the annual cramming of a couple of new named Aces in the OYW

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Azran posted:

They said they were planning on further exploring the gap between Unicorn/Hathaway and F91/Victory, right? That's gonna be interesting to see

Unicorn 2 happening any day now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just as soon as the location scouts for Hathaway 2 make it back from northern Australia. The casualties from crocodile attacks must have been severe.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Neither of these say anything about whether that person is 'good' or 'should be put in government.' No matter how many people Gallup say are pulling for Char in the next PM election.

Also Amuro is frowning at you all from beyond the time as you try and quantify what a Newtype is. My take is that this kind of quibbling about the definition of a Newtype is exactly what robs the box of what little real power it held. Deikun was a hilarious coincidence, and gave just enough of a hook to blow the box way out of proportion. Any push the box gives, aside from what Gaius posted, will get diluted by the debates over what exactly a Newtype is. Contolists would argue that all Spacenoids are Newtypes. The Federation will say Newtypes don't exist. Academics will argue over the finer points of psychic phenomena and what constitutes as legitimate vs illigitimate. And the general public will lose interest in three months.

And, for what it is worth, anything less that what the Contolists would claim is a massive slap in the face to the space immigrants. The space borne diaspora all have various political and material interests that could be represented by grouping them as independent nation-states, but only the super-special psychic ones are worthy of that recognition?

i am not particularly a fan of the idea that, because new types are hard to define via physical phenomenon, any attempt to do so must be looked down upon (especially in universe). humans should not simply say "well guess we'll never understand it" and give up there.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Seemlar posted:

"There are bad spacenoids, they maybe they don't deserve equal representation" is certainly an interesting take
3/5th Compromise, but for Cyber Newtypes

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

ninjewtsu posted:

who's saying this?

“i’m not saying it - i just want you to know i’m thinkin’ it.

- Deacon Frost, True Detective, Season 2

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The only practical definition of Newtype is that being people who exhibit psychic phenomenon, especially those that can interact with a Psycommu system or other similar technologies

Trying to attach any meaning to the term beyond that is a pointless and futile exercise in the fields of philosophy and politics

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it doesn't really matter how difficult and vague including newtypes in the government is. it's not like the federation is going to try.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

The only practical definition of Newtype is that being people who exhibit psychic phenomenon, especially those that can interact with a Psycommu system or other similar technologies

Trying to attach any meaning to the term beyond that is a pointless and futile exercise in the fields of philosophy and politics

A lack of consideration of the philosophical and political ramifications of new phenomena is exactly what leads to stuff like cybernewtypes being developed

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The disconnect and conflict between the philosophical definition of a newtype and the practical definition of a newtype is almost the entire point of newtypes in the story lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waffleman_ posted:

The disconnect and conflict between the philosophical definition of a newtype and the practical definition of a newtype is almost the entire point of newtypes in the story lol

"As humanity expands into space all of our latent abilities will blossom in order to adapt to that great void. We will then be able to understand and accept one another without misconceptions. It spoke of the reformation of all of humanity, of infinite possibilities, of power itself. Since its victory in the One Year War, the Federation has lived in fear of this unseen power, the power that screams "J'accuse!" at the privileged class that lives on Earth, the power that calls all the abandoned spacenoids to awaken.

While it's true that government research facilities were created, they were like laboratories of mad scientists who deviated from the original ideologies and rather chose to focus on the military applications of thee newtypes. The term newytype eventually came to be synonymous with Ace Pilot, a new definition completely removed from Zeon Deikun's concept of understanding without misconceptions."

Hmm I'm wondering if Cardeas was trying to make a point here or soemthing.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ninjewtsu posted:

A lack of consideration of the philosophical and political ramifications of new phenomena is exactly what leads to stuff like cybernewtypes being developed

The problem with Cyber Newtypes has nothing to do with the concept itself, it's that every time it's been done(or other similar projects like EXAM and HADES) is that it's being run by psychotic morons, most Cyber Newtypes* we encounter in the franchise were either forcibly put through the process(and often brainwashed as well) or were mentally unstable prior to the treatment, Gates Capa and Gyunei Guss both show that it's more than possible to create Cyber Newtypes that aren't unstable psychotic liabilities(Gyunei is a creepy loser but in a rather mundane way that was probably unaffected by him being modified)

*discounting the Ple clones since they only seem to be lumped as Cyber Newtypes out of convenience since their Newtype abilities should be natural since they're cloned from a Natural Newtype

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

The problem with Cyber Newtypes has nothing to do with the concept itself, it's that every time it's been done(or other similar projects like EXAM and HADES) is that it's being run by psychotic morons, most Cyber Newtypes* we encounter in the franchise were either forcibly put through the process(and often brainwashed as well) or were mentally unstable prior to the treatment, Gates Capa and Gyunei Guss both show that it's more than possible to create Cyber Newtypes that aren't unstable psychotic liabilities(Gyunei is a creepy loser but in a rather mundane way that was probably unaffected by him being modified)

*discounting the Ple clones since they only seem to be lumped as Cyber Newtypes out of convenience since their Newtype abilities should be natural since they're cloned from a Natural Newtype

Yes the problem is that they focused on achieving the practical observed phenomena without considering what an ethical way to go about it was or any goal other than military application. Determining both of these things requires consideration of philosophic and political concepts.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Kanos posted:

(Aside from the aforementioned absurdity of a government writing "if evolved humans come into being, give them a place in government" into their foundational charter, of course.)

The whole UC charter/plot mcguffin in Unicorn clearly started from the premise of "What if The Federation secretly knew Zeon (Zum Deikun) was right about Newtypes?" and they went from there trying make it into a somewhat sensical secret as pivotal point of the show.
It didn't really work for multiple reasons.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Zedd posted:

The whole UC charter/plot mcguffin in Unicorn clearly started from the premise of "What if The Federation secretly knew Zeon (Zum Deikun) was right about Newtypes?" and they went from there trying make it into a somewhat sensical secret as pivotal point of the show.
It didn't really work for multiple reasons.

It's extra impressive because they somehow knew 9 years before Zeon ZD was born

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

drrockso20 posted:

Was Katejina brainwashed or was she just made crazy? At least I think she voluntarily went through the process. I don't remember the exact details but yeah cyber newtypes suck and most people behind all that science are psychos.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
katejina demonstrated every indication of being a cyber newtype, and it would perfectly explain her otherwise bizarre changes. the show didn't say anything about it, though.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I must have just assumed she was, then. Whoops!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

It's extra impressive because they somehow knew 9 years before Zeon ZD was born

I get the vibe that that's the point. He was the first person to independently strike upon and popularise a theory that Earth scientists had already developed and then suppressed. Unicorn suggests that a certain amount of the early hostility to Zeonism was Earth Federation bigwigs going 'aww, poo poo, thought we left this behind decades ago'.

Kind of makes sense if Newtype psychic powers started to manifest in rare but measurable ways before space exploration reached the point where there were entire spaceborne nations (considering how often and easily Newtypes crop up in Gundam), and that there was a furious behind-the-scenes power struggle about what this would mean for the mass ethnic cleansing operation that was the space colony project. Imagine you're trying to organise the Space Trail of Tears and one of your labcoats gives you classified evidence from tests they've run on your astronauts that you may well be creating a race of vengeful psychic supermen.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
If newtypes popped up "often" and "easily", there wouldn't be multiple separate horrible nightmare laboratories dedicated to brute-force creating more of them.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

If newtypes popped up "often" and "easily", there wouldn't be multiple separate horrible nightmare laboratories dedicated to brute-force creating more of them.

The solar system is a big place. There's a big gap between waiting for one in every thousand of your citizens to develop a random amount of psychic potential au naturel and mass-uplifting an elite regiment of psycommu-compatible soldiers on demand. I'm guessing the early proto-Newtypes were folks like Lalah, whose existence was known but also a jealously-guarded secret until Char picked her up.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

katejina demonstrated every indication of being a cyber newtype, and it would perfectly explain her otherwise bizarre changes. the show didn't say anything about it, though.

I'm pretty sure she gets the Cyber-Newtype ability in SRW so that's something.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Hunter Noventa posted:

That's actually probably why I thought that, because I played SRW30 recently.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

i am not particularly a fan of the idea that, because new types are hard to define via physical phenomenon, any attempt to do so must be looked down upon (especially in universe). humans should not simply say "well guess we'll never understand it" and give up there.

Laozi posted:

The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao. The name that can be named is not the eternal name. The nameless is the beginning of heaven and earth. The named is the mother of ten thousand things.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Hunter Noventa posted:

Yep. Super Robot Wars gives her Cyber Newtype as an ability, and I believe it's generally taken as what happened to her. It's probably one of those things that was officially stated in a Databook in Japan somewhere, maybe, and they just except it as read.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OTOH, the franchise contains several warnings against over-mysticising Newtypes, most prominently the Zanscare Empire. It's just another way of cutting them off from the human experience that their powers specialise in expanding and enriching.

They're not unknowable, but an entirely new way for humanity to learn.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 13:20 on May 16, 2023

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Put the dolphins from X in charge of Earth's government.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

Sure, but it also isn't useful in terms of the actual politics of the setting. A scientist or anthropologist may just want to define a Newtype so they can talk accurately about who these people are. Unfortunately, the people who are interested in the implications of Deikun's speech or Laplace's Box are political actors--and at least say they are concerned with spacenoid rights. That's the context of the discussion, and I'm saying it's both pointless and contemptable to define Newtypes for that purpose because it narrows the focus from "all spacenoids" to "Newtypes."

Waffleman_ posted:

Pretty much. How many of the horrors of the early UC are because someone was trying to use the practical definition--aka the category of person--to accomplish a goal?

ninjewtsu posted:

Yes the problem is that they focused on achieving the practical observed phenomena without considering what an ethical way to go about it was or any goal other than military application. Determining both of these things requires consideration of philosophic and political concepts.

The series' answer to this is pretty clear: attempting to force the process of becoming a Newtype requires a level of ethical suspension that should make the process impossible. This is part of CCA's baggage. Char dropping rocks on Earth is an analog to creating cybernewtypes--he's trying to force the process on people as a whole.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough on it, but defining Newtypes for the purposes of satisfying the clause of Laplace's Box will only serve to hurt spacenoids as a whole, and is a contemptable exercise.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Idk I don't think "space adapted humans" applies to spacenoids outside of the possibility of it applying to specifically newtypes. Is there some piece of this I'm missing? What other traits of space adaptation mutations do spacenoids present?-

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

Idk I don't think "space adapted humans" applies to spacenoids outside of the possibility of it applying to specifically newtypes. Is there some piece of this I'm missing? What other traits of space adaptation mutations do spacenoids present?-

They don't. That's the problem.

Less flippantly, Unicorn presents the Box as being something useful to spacenoids in their quest for less colonial exploitation. But spacenoids as a whole don't have some kind of naturalistic category they fit into like the box describes. Thus, the political question of Newtypes becomes "how do I make this definition as wide or as narrow as is politically expedient?" Not "What is a Newtype?" unloaded.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ninjewtsu posted:

None, because spacenoids aren't "a new race of space-adapted humans", a big part of Gundam is that wherever you go, there you are. People in space and people in Earth are ultimately just people. However the fear was always they would try and use it and that clause to try and bargain for more power!

Because ultimately it wasn't about what the box said, persay, it was all about the one side who could coincidentally use it as ammunition for their cause and the other side afraid spacenoids would use it to further their political cause and make Earth look bad for sitting on it for so long. The clause is unenforceable on multiple levels as written, but if it got out people would fight and argue about said clause and how it could be used/thwarted to further their goals.

And lost in that shuffle will be the high-minded ideal that lead to them including it in the charter in the first place, a provision for a possible future that was radically different from the present referring to a different kind of person who might someday emerge. You know, like keeps happening with Newtypes.