Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Hey sure the Delta protagonists have bad character arcs and the entire plot ends up focused on characters who have even less but at least the action is good

wait no I'm being told the action is the same 10-12 planes shooting at each other in front of the same featureless blue sky background for 20 episodes

ah well, nevertheless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Any cockpit where the pilot flicks on several switches then dramatically pushes a comically long throttle lever

Megas XLR for its infinitely variable buttons, levers, switches, doodads and geegaws

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Any cockpit where the pilot flicks on several switches then dramatically pushes a comically long throttle lever

How do you do fellow Stark Jegan admirer

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!

Blockhouse posted:

Hey sure the Delta protagonists have bad character arcs and the entire plot ends up focused on characters who have even less but at least the action is good

wait no I'm being told the action is the same 10-12 planes shooting at each other in front of the same featureless blue sky background for 20 episodes

ah well, nevertheless

It’s less of a problem in the compilation movie since most of the early skirmishes against the Aerial Knights on different planets get compressed into just one or two, but yeah it’s disappointing. Compared to Frontier that manages to fit a lot more variety in its scenarios and action successfully despite mostly being limited to the faceless Vajra, and it isn’t favourable. And even then the level of detail and action in Frontier’s action makes it seem like a much more modern series; Alto and Brera’s final trench run against the Queen in the last episode, for example, is still some of the most incredible animation I’ve seen in a regular TV anime.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shazaminator posted:

Is there a Macross general thread? Could’ve sworn there was at one point but a quick scan couldn’t find it.

There was but it's probably 15 pages back and auto locked at this point.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I will give delta this. It's the first macross series where I buy the main couple being an actual couple. They've got tat great chemistry of constantly giving each other poo poo in a playful way

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Alto and Sheryl are great tho?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gripweed posted:

The arc of public perception of that show as it was airing was wild. “What is this pervert show” -> “I’m sobbing this is so good, a new classic!” -> “man gently caress that show”

There was like a 7-8 episode stretch where the series seemed to be actually going somewhere with its weird setup and actually having something meaningful and interesting to say about relationships, and it had a pretty nice and visually impressive mid series fight/declaration of love thing around episode...13 or so?, then it went downhill so fast it caused whiplash.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Now now, ifI recall it also acknowledges the idea of genderfluidity and homosexuality by having the oppressive governments team of evil mech pilots all have non-normative pilot combos like guys taking the bottom position and m/m or f/f pilot pairings!

God, franxx was poo poo

IIRC the evil pilots were all still hetero, they were just weird and spooky because they liked bondage, or the dude was on bottom, and other ~abnormal~ things like that. The one time the show really acknowledged the gays was when the lady who'd had an obvious thing for another of the main characters pushed hard to pilot with her and then basically got infected with turbo cancer for her efforts while everyone around her was like "We loving told you this wouldn't work, you idiot."

It was not a subtle or good show. I just kind of stopped watching when it was obvious the writers had zero interest in any actual character development that wasn't "you two best be fuckin' in there". Fan reactions to the show can best be summed up with a gif of Homer chasing his barbeque pig desperately saying "It's still good" every few seconds because people really, really, wanted it to be the next Gurren Lagann.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The show had problems from the get go and ended up being bad overall, but let’s not rewrite history here that run of three or four episodes up to the big confession scene were really loving good. Especially at the time since we didn’t know the show was going to end up bad.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
There's a regular that comes to my drive thru at work who has a decal of zero two with her tits out on her car and everyone calls her "the anime boob woman"

that's forever my association with darling in the franxx

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Zero Two is, indeed, an anime boob woman, so that's fair.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Gaius Marius posted:

Alto and Sheryl are great tho?

Not for each other. However, having them try is great storytelling, and the effort each of them puts into having a life together makes them great characters, and people. There's a sincerity to their domestic simplicity that you don't often see. And it's great.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!

Blockhouse posted:

I will give delta this. It's the first macross series where I buy the main couple being an actual couple. They've got tat great chemistry of constantly giving each other poo poo in a playful way

Later on, sure, but in the first couple of episodes it more comes off as Hayate being an incredibly mean spirited dickhole to this girl he just met. Like constantly telling Freyja she’s going to gently caress up and fail the auditions without a trace of humour.

I did like how she swiftly learns to bust his balls in return though.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Y'all had a Franxx hate train without me?

Motto posted:

from the sidelines all I heard was it going for the most basic beats and defusing anything potentially interesting.

If it were just that it'd have been way better. There's a huge difference between boring beats and when a show dangles a bunch of cool progressive stuff and questioning one's upbringing and environment only for it to completely swerve into the most pearl-clutching resolutions possible. And then it got aggressively conservative in the back half.

Some shows are just bad. Franxx is like that on purpose.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Ranzear posted:

Y'all had a Franxx hate train without me?

If it were just that it'd have been way better. There's a huge difference between boring beats and when a show dangles a bunch of cool progressive stuff and questioning one's upbringing and environment only for it to completely swerve into the most pearl-clutching resolutions possible. And then it got aggressively conservative in the back half.

Some shows are just bad. Franxx is like that on purpose.

Would you rather have Franxx's weird politics, or Kill la Kill's weird sexuality stuff?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Fivemarks posted:

Would you rather have Franxx's weird politics, or Kill la Kill's weird sexuality stuff?

Having seen both in their entirety, I would rather rewatch Kill la Kill three times than rewatch Franxx once, and I don't even really like Kill la Kill.

Kill la Kill had some weird and very uncomfortable stuff in it, but the overall message was mostly a positive one. Franxx's singular gay character is punished over and over by the narrative, told by her crush "it's okay, you'll get over it", and then stricken with incurable anime cancer in the otherwise happy ending.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 15, 2023

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Fivemarks posted:

Franxx had just as much weird sexuality stuff, and a much shittier message attached to it. At least in Kill la Kill, the most prominent weird scene, as bad as it was, you were still supposed to at least identify the villain as being a bad person doing a bad thing. Unlike Franxx which just goes "Look at all these freaks, not being normal!"

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

muike posted:

most valkyrie cockpits look pretty cool too but that's just purely great art

I think this tapers off with the later designs. The verisimilitude for the VF-25 onwards, cockpit-wise, doesn't feel half as good as the VF-0 or even the VF-11.

That asteroid scene is my own personal 5 minutes of heaven when it comes to space dogfighting.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Nuebot posted:

Franxx had just as much weird sexuality stuff, and a much shittier message attached to it. At least in Kill la Kill, the most prominent weird scene, as bad as it was, you were still supposed to at least identify the villain as being a bad person doing a bad thing. Unlike Franxx which just goes "Look at all these freaks, not being normal!"

Idly curious which weird Kill la Kill scene you consider to be the most prominent.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

This conversation reminded me of Re Creators. Now that was a series that started out very strong and then immediately veered into a hedge. I didn't even watch far enough to see if the mecha pilot ever did any cool mecha stuff. Does anyone know if he did? I kinda assume he didn't.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

wdarkk posted:

Is this some Shinzo Abe "please have babies" poo poo?

I don't doubt Darling is particularly egregious, but its worth realizing how much that poo poo is all over late 90s and 00s mecha anime.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It'd hardly limited to mecha series.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
...what other types of anime are there?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

It is kind of absurd how much Japanese media is, in the end, about how cool and good having babies is.

I mean it's not limited to Japanese media by any means but I feel like it's more obviously a primary theme as opposed to just 'our hero has a Happy Ending and of course that means getting married and having 2.5 kids' like it tends to turn out in non-Japanese media.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dunno I could hypothesize about how so many anime focus on teenage protagonists growing up to have nuclear families is a reflection of the Japanese lifestyle where freedom peaks at 16 and then once you pass high-school and college your life gives away to the workforce grind so you do adult things like getting a job or becoming a housewife and having babies. But I'd probably bring down the wrath of someone accusing me of generalizing.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

ReCreators second half was a disappointment and was not as good as the first half but it's more in not reaching its true potential than it turning into awful like Franxx

As for the "have baby stuff" I don't think anime/manga have more of it than other countries its just in manga/anime its usually done so awkwardly/badly it just stands out like a sore thumb

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

I dunno I could hypothesize about how so many anime focus on teenage protagonists growing up to have nuclear families is a reflection of the Japanese lifestyle where freedom peaks at 16 and then once you pass high-school and college your life gives away to the workforce grind so you do adult things like getting a job or becoming a housewife and having babies. But I'd probably bring down the wrath of someone accusing me of generalizing.

yes, you could repeat this line with zero self-awareness for the millionth time. That is a thing you could do.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Motto posted:

yes, you could repeat this line with zero self-awareness for the millionth time. That is a thing you could do.

Yeah it's all about getting a sweet dig at those inscrutable Japanese and their weird hang-ups, right? What a weird and alien culture where we point and laugh and make broad declarations about how they're weird and alien unlike us normal white people. Because making an observation automatically leads to assumptions and the only possible explanation is that I want to rip on another country rather than ask "why is it like that?"

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 15, 2023

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

idk I just think it's really boring to read "work sucks and it's hard to find the time/money to raise kids" over and over as a profound skeleton key to Japanese media and not HS-level knowledge about 1st world countries.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Or, to put it another way, that take has some truth to it, but it sure as hell isn't exclusive to just Japan.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
At the same time I can point to any number of non anime cartoons made for teens that don't approach the end goal of a relationship with "they got married and made babies."

So what's the driving force making it such a prevalent thing in Japan if you can point to any country and find similar stories but on a much lower scale?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I think the key is to consider that the anime you watch as a western anime fan may not be representative of Japanese cultural output generally, and therefore you just shouldn’t try to make sweeping statements about Japanese culture based on it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Anshu posted:

Idly curious which weird Kill la Kill scene you consider to be the most prominent.

someone post the buttslap copypasta

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Anshu posted:

Probably the bit where the antagonist of the first half of the series gets molested by the antagonist of the second half of the series, Id imagine

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Kanos posted:

Having seen both in their entirety, I would rather rewatch Kill la Kill three times than rewatch Franxx once, and I don't even really like Kill la Kill.

One hundred loving percent this.

Kanos posted:

Franxx's singular gay character is punished over and over by the narrative, told by her crush "it's okay, you'll get over it", and then stricken with incurable anime cancer in the otherwise happy ending.

More than one character reads strongly queer, but only the one that is out or at least acting on it gets punished, which is even more of a tell.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 16, 2023

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Anshu posted:

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Probably the bit where the antagonist of the first half of the series gets molested by the antagonist of the second half of the series, Id imagine

It was real hosed up and bad, yeah.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Did succeed in their apparent goal of a parental figure worse than Gendo.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ranzear posted:

More than one character reads strongly queer, but only the one that is out or at least acting on it gets punished, which is even more of a tell.

Yeah, there were several who could be read as queer, I was just referring to the only one that the show outright said was gay and is used as a writing punching bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It's a couple pages back, but the thing about Netflix Voltron made me remember that some folks in the TVIV kids' animation shows thread did some helpful posts explaining why Netflix Voltron was a bad mecha show:

nine-gear crow posted:

"Why did people go apeshit over Voltron?" is a loaded question with multiple answers depending on who you ask. It mainly revolves around the plot completely unraveling in its final two seasons, its uneven pacing issues, and just the general degradation, neglect, and disrespect for its main cast and their respective character arcs the closer the show drew to its ending. Allura and Lance are the ones who suffer the most from this, but everyone gets it in one way or another, Keith, Shiro, Pidge, Hunk, Lotor. Especially Lotor. What happens to Lotor is just amazing in its whiplash inducing narrative cowardice. Literally, "Oh no, we actually made Lotor a genuinely good person. poo poo! Quick! Turn him into Ultra Turbo Hitler with zero build up to it! NOW!"

It's one of those rare shows you can credibly accuse of "virtue signalling", because it pulls some heinous poo poo like revealing Shiro is gay and has a husband, and then killing off that character before he and Shiro ever get to meaningfully interact in the story, and then try to make it up to the audience by having Shiro marry a background character who has like two lines of dialog in the show and who you can play a drinking game with of "spot all the times he shows up in shot in the finale season" like he's Loo-kee on She-Ra or something.

It's a show with a really great start, an amazing middle, and then when it came to put-up-or-shut-up time for sticking the landing on the ending, it flinched and just obliterated its shin bones and that's now all anyone can think about, the blood mess it made at the end instead of the sick rear end poo poo it was doing before that. It's basically the animation world's version of Game of Thrones.

Dawgstar posted:

There's also something to be said (negatively) for killing off your only female POC coded character in the finale and I'm pretty sure Lance and Allura only happen because they turned Lotor into Turbo Hitler but it doesn't matter because she dies and Lance becomes a... farmer. I had fallen off Voltron and whenever I looked back at it all I saw were the terrible shipping wars but it actually had real thematic problems beyond that.

DoctorWhat posted:

Even when the plot was compelling in the middle bits you can tell that the production team had no sense of what mecha anime is actually like or what makes it cool. Voltron itself doesn't mean anything. It's literally just a big macguffin robot. None of the good poo poo about how people become mechanized in war, or self-realization through idealized forms, and very few if any truly cool fights.

Dawgstar posted:

One thing that stands out about Voltron not being that special all things told was the fact that the flying magic space castle is arguably a more efficient weapon than Voltron. I also agree with 9GCrow that having the Lions have personalities and the pilots needing to work with that and around that was a really cool idea that they sort of shrug and ignore after a while.