Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

PoundSand posted:

you’re not being creative enough. I was getting yellow onions the other day at Safeway, on “sale” for 69 cents (nice), which is frankly kind of high for onions to begin with, not too long ago I could get a 3 pound bag for 1-1.50 on no sale at all depending on the store, but regardless I grabbed a couple cause I wanted some for dinner that night and it wasn’t worth shopping elsewhere for a couple bucks of produce.

I only had a couple things so I went to the self checkout, when it came to the onions I punched in the code but it was acting strange it kept prompting me for quantity rather than weighing them. I called the clerk over and they were like “yep we sell onions by the each now not by pounds”. Legit thought I was on candid camera for a bit I was so flabbergasted.

This is actually a good consumer development because the self checkout computer has no way to measure how many things you have so it is very easy to just lie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

the bitcoin of weed posted:

This is actually a good consumer development because the self checkout computer has no way to measure how many things you have so it is very easy to just lie
ya this. i just ring everything up as the cheapest option and smallest quantity

grocery prices are up +40%, but self-checkout has helped me save 40% off my grocery bill, so net zero.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 05:03 on May 15, 2023

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

holefoods posted:

I cannot even begin to imagine just working at one place forever like that.

E: sorry for doxing Willa

smug jeebus has issued a correction as of 05:02 on May 15, 2023

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

PoundSand posted:

you’re not being creative enough. I was getting yellow onions the other day at Safeway, on “sale” for 69 cents (nice), which is frankly kind of high for onions to begin with, not too long ago I could get a 3 pound bag for 1-1.50 on no sale at all depending on the store, but regardless I grabbed a couple cause I wanted some for dinner that night and it wasn’t worth shopping elsewhere for a couple bucks of produce.

I only had a couple things so I went to the self checkout, when it came to the onions I punched in the code but it was acting strange it kept prompting me for quantity rather than weighing them. I called the clerk over and they were like “yep we sell onions by the each now not by pounds”. Legit thought I was on candid camera for a bit I was so flabbergasted.

lol yep, I had a 1:1 experience with the :wtc: when i had to count fuckin jalapenos

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

the bitcoin of weed posted:

yep, since they're not weighing you don't even have to throw poo poo on the machine. just put in whatever feels good.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

you'd be surprised how many things look exactly like 1 avocado to a grocery store self-checkout machine

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

At Aldi's self-checkouts they show a video of you in front of you so I'd be too scared to gently caress around & find out, in case they're using lie-detection s/w or something lol. I know someone's watching that poo poo bc I had to call for help once & they saw what I was asking about. :sweatdrop:

smug jeebus posted:

E: sorry for doxing Willa

I think the longest gig I had was like 4 years, although I've had some clients (including dead ones) at times for over a decade.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Because I have been so diligent in paying off my car loan through Chase, they are pleased to offer me a new credit card where the APR is the Prime Rate + 20.49%

lol

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

palindrome posted:

A cask of wine is a 2L box, and for about $12? And 18 year olds can buy it? Sounds like a good time.

Add 50% orange soda and ice for a refreshing summer drink, tinto de verano

cheap red -> 50/50 with cola, serve over ice

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

holefoods posted:

I mean, honestly more than a year at any given job just starts to seem utterly interminable, so in a sense I kinda do get it? I don't think my brain is capable of being more bored with something so I figure it just sort of tops out at some point.

Or I suppose it's theoretically possible these people have pride in their work, which I truly cannot imagine.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Mustached Demon posted:

cheap red -> 50/50 with cola, serve over ice

the elusive cola goon bag

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

skaboomizzy posted:

Because I have been so diligent in paying off my car loan through Chase, they are pleased to offer me a new credit card where the APR is the Prime Rate + 20.49%

lol

I just checked out bankrate & their "best offers" for credit cards are like 18-30 percent APR.

30 percent used to be the deadbeat rate you got if you missed a payment.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
New Study Finds a High Minimum Wage Creates Jobs

quote:

A decade ago, conventional wisdom held that raising the minimum wage would not necessarily benefit low-income workers. The logic of this view went like this: Although some workers would benefit from the government forcing their pay up by fiat, others would find themselves effectively locked out of the labor market. After all, if one lacked the skills necessary to produce $15 worth of economic value in an hour of labor, then a law forbidding employers from paying anyone a lower rate than that would render you unhireable. Indeed, rather than improving the lot of “low-skill” workers, a high minimum wage would inspire businesses to automate their roles out of existence, condemning such proletarians to jobless penury. (Conservative economists who pushed this line always had to paper over the dissonance between their ostensible support for increasing productivity and their opposition to a government policy that would, by their account, yield new labor-saving technologies.)

A 2010 op-ed from Michael Saltsman of the Employment Policy Institute provides a characteristic rendition of the argument. Saltsman warned that if state legislatures raised the minimum wage for fast food workers, “The BurgerTron 3000” would soon take their jobs.

“In addition to pushing businesses toward automation, increasing the minimum wage makes it less likely for businesses to take a chance on employees without previous experience,” Saltsman explained. “Already feeling the pinch from the continuing economic downturn, the only way businesses will hire new employees is if they are skilled enough for the new, higher wage. Say goodbye to entry level jobs and hello to permanent double digit unemployment.”

Over the next thirteen years, a long list of cities and states enacted minimum wage increases of unprecedented size. Between 2014 and 2022, California increased its minimum wage by 56 percent in inflation-adjusted terms. Over a similar time period, New York raised its wage floor by 72 percent.

Permanent double digit unemployment did not ensue.

In fact, not only did these historically large minimum wage hikes fail to put all fast food workers out of job, but a new study indicates that they actually induced job growth.

In “High Minimum Wages and the Monopsony Puzzle,” a team of economists at the University of California, Berkeley examined 47 large U.S. counties where the minimum wage had reached $15 an hour by the first quarter of 2021, and compared their wage levels and employment figures to those of similar counties that hadn’t raised the minimum wage since 2009. They focused specifically on fast-food workers, so as to avoid the complexities introduced by the tipped-wages common among servers at more upscale restaurants.

Their results will shock Saltsman and his ideological sympathizers. First, raising the minimum wage successfully increased hourly pay for workers in the bottom 10 percent of the income distribution without reducing wages for those in the middle. Had New York and California failed to pass minimum wage increases, this narrowing of the gap between the bottom and middle rungs of the income ladder would not have occurred. Second, the implications for employment were very slightly positive: Counties that enacted minimum wages saw more job growth, not less

Now, a conservative economist might counter that one reason why these minimum wage hikes didn’t increase unemployment is that New York City, San Francisco, and Los Angeles already had fairly high market wages, and saw considerable “natural” wage growth over this period. If researchers had focused narrowly on the impact of state-level minimum-wage hikes on relatively low-wage counties in upstate New York or inland California, they probably would have discovered substantial employment effects.

Happily, the Berkeley economists thought of this. To correct for the possibilities 1) that high-wage cities are disproportionately likely to enact large minimum wage increases and 2) that high market wages attenuate the employment implications of high minimum wages, they isolated the impact of state-level minimum wages on counties that had neither enacted local minimum wage increases nor enjoyed above-average market wages.

When they narrowed their lens, the researchers did in fact find that the employment impacts of minimum wage hikes became more profound: Rather than producing a slight increase in job growth, high minimum wages were associated with substantial increases in employment

In truth, this finding is not all that surprising. Economists have long recognized that, under conditions of “monopsony” — which is to say, when there are just a small number of employers in a given labor market — modest increases in the minimum wage will not kill jobs and might even create them. And liberal analysts had been arguing for decades that monopsony was far more common than generally appreciated.

Under conditions of monopsony, businesses do not need to offer competitive wages, since workers have few other employers they can turn to. Therefore, the market wage may substantially underprice the value that a given hour of labor actually provides to a firm. When the government steps in and forces wage rates up, businesses can afford to weather the increase in labor costs without slowing hiring, automating roles, or raising prices. Rather, they’re simply forced to divert a bit of their earnings away from ownership and towards staff.

That redistribution of income away from business owners to workers can, in turn, have a stimulative effect. Low-wage workers often live paycheck to paycheck and spend a high percentage of their earnings. Affluent business owners, by contrast, can often afford to stow away excess earnings. Thus, when you move dollars from the latter to the former, that money becomes more likely to circulate in the local economy. Which translates to higher demand for goods and services, such as fast food, which gives fast food restaurants an incentive to add more staff. This dynamic would of course break down if you raised the minimum wage to $1,000 or what have you. But the past decade of economic history indicates that there is far more scope to increase wages by government statute than previously thought.

Economic life is full of genuine tradeoffs. And there are times when progressives refuse to prioritize between competing goods in a counterproductive manner. But there are also many instances in which the only real tradeoff is between maximizing profits for owners and improving conditions for workers. In those cases, owners have an incentive to promote theories that posit a different, specious tradeoff — one that hurts a more sympathetic constituency. It is now apparent that the debate over a $15 minimum wage was one such case.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Willa Rogers posted:

I just checked out bankrate & their "best offers" for credit cards are like 18-30 percent APR.

30 percent used to be the deadbeat rate you got if you missed a payment.

I'm gonna pay this car off two years early and have never missed a payment and this is their offer

I got an Apple Card last weekend b/c I expect to fly home on short notice very soon and that gave me enough additional credit to at least buy the flight home and book someone to check in on my cat daily

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

TAKE VEGETABLES FROM SAFEWAYS

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

so you’re telling me that if people have money to spend then you need more people to provide the goods and services that the people have money to spend on???

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

holefoods posted:

so you’re telling me that if people have money to spend then you need more people to provide the goods and services that the people have money to spend on???

seems like a good way to make number go up

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

skaboomizzy posted:

seems like a good way to make number go up

no you make number go up via tax cuts so the capital dragon has more money to sit on

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

holefoods posted:

no, extra money just means more opportunity to raise rent :eng101:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

holefoods posted:

A new study keeps coming out every like four years pointing this out as if it isn’t a known thing that created the middle class in America to begin with but because it might make the wealthy part with .00000001% of their hoards it’ll be memory holed yet again. Meanwhile the government and media will keep staring blankly at a wall and repeating inflation is caused by workers having too much money while companies continue to increase prices and replace two third of processed foods with sawdust and sand to keep getting record smashing profits

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Homeless Friend posted:

lol yep, I had a 1:1 experience with the :wtc: when i had to count fuckin jalapenos

it straight up reminded me of the candid camera sketch where they had a planted “clerk” offering insurance packages on stuff like a tube of toothpaste. I probably had the exact dumb “you can’t be serious” expression on my face but sadly no one came out with a camera to shake my hand and laugh off the prank.

it felt particularly insidious too cause I mean sure you can get some p big honking onions but for the most part it’s probably closer to 3-4 a pound so it’s just flat out lying about tripling the price by changing the payment structure from a very ingrained norm, and at a price point specifically designed to look normal to someone not closely inspecting the sign. I’m sure soon enough I’ll see it happening to all sorts of produce conventionally sold by weight and have to pay attention to something I’ve never had to look for before to avoid getting essentially scammed.

Safeway is the only one I’ve seen do it in my area so far but I doubt that will last.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Sokani posted:

Just goes to show that if you work hard then you too can continue to work hard.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Petrostate One

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

RadiRoot posted:

https://twitter.com/abc3340/status/1657182368426254337

Thats the spirit Mary! people these days complain too much.

she seems to be in good mental/physical shape for being 85. see, working is GOOD for your health. retirement means death

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Xaris posted:

no, extra money just means more opportunity to raise rent :eng101:

poo poo I forgot about this I guess everyone saying the economy is very complicated is right

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

holefoods posted:

you gotta remember there was a period of time where depending on where you lived and when you started you could buy a house on that poo poo and if you actively saved you are probably above water but barely getting by with a kroger salary or w/e

some ppls brains just hate any sort of change

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

anime was right posted:

you gotta remember there was a period of time where depending on where you lived and when you started you could buy a house on that poo poo and if you actively saved you are probably above water but barely getting by with a kroger salary or w/e

that is true. also it's west virginia so it's not like there's any other work besides coal mining and prostitution. for being v-dub that's pretty good

i work for a public agency so i'll probably be here till i die (i do not expect contemporary america to last more than a decade or two, so that will probably be cut short). it's nice getting up and going to work for the people, no shareholders taking in profit, i get to do what im good at and stay sharp, and all going to ensure public has their services and safety.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

anime was right posted:

one of my grandmothers was an operator for AT&T and she was able to buy a house that her family still lives in to this day

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Shrinkflation seems like a bad plan for the manufacturer. Stuff like pringles must be insanely cheap to produce in volume. Like, how much do they save by removing the top inch or two? It must be pennies. I guess it could trigger the customer to re-buy more frequently but that seems like it would be offset by people noticing and getting righteously pissed.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

one of my grandmothers was an operator for AT&T and she was able to buy a house that her family still lives in to this day

my grandpa worked for bell telephone doing maintenance and my grandma was an operator and they retired fairly young and lived extremely comfortably. sure, it was an above ground pool but he put a bar in his basement in like 1975

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Shrinkflation seems like a bad plan for the manufacturer. Stuff like pringles must be insanely cheap to produce in volume. Like, how much do they save by removing the top inch or two? It must be pennies. I guess it could trigger the customer to re-buy more frequently but that seems like it would be offset by people noticing and getting righteously pissed.

Even saving just a few cents on a product that costs 50 cents to manufacture is a big boost in their margin. People by and large don't notice at all, versus price increases, which are noticed much more frequently.

They run the numbers on all this stuff, including with impact on consumption. It works.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

That’s a future problem! There’s money to be made NOW

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Salvor_Hardin posted:

i think the idea is americans are good little addictive paypiggies who love coke n doritos too much to care that a 24-pack is now a 2-pack.

even now fast food is like $15+ for a lovely 3mm patty with a diet coke yet people are still lining up to order there. even goons cant help constantly buying fastfood then grumbling that it sucks, only to do it all over again in a month. i think the econ 101 framework of perfectly friction-less sphere doesn't apply when americans are creatures of habit for a particular BRAND treat.

also probably the idea is most people wont notice and just grumble that they seem to be spending "more on food" nebulously and without specific ills to get anger about. just a general nebulous "inflation shrug". after all, when was the last time you heard someone yelling about a cocksucker brand for gouging instead of culture war slop?

Xaris has issued a correction as of 06:05 on May 15, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Salvor_Hardin posted:

saving a penny on something you produce in high volume adds up

as well, part of shrinkflation is that you're barely changing the packaging - you're still using the same sized pringles can, you're just telling the machine to put fewer pringles inside it, and changing the print on the packaging so that you're not lying about the reduced content of it

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

my dad has four pensions plus Agent Orange disability payments (backpaid), he is in his 80s and making more money per month than I ever will and all his cancer treatments for the past four years have been completely paid for

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
TRPTF means they are and will always be scraping the barrel for every incredibly stupid tiny cost savings

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

skaboomizzy posted:

my dad has four pensions plus Agent Orange disability payments (backpaid), he is in his 80s and making more money per month than I ever will and all his cancer treatments for the past four years have been completely paid for

Lucky Ducky!

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Salvor_Hardin posted:

this would be true if we actually had competition in the US and functional laws about stuff like price fixing but instead when literally ever brand of seltzer water in the store raises their price by 50% and goes from a 12 pack to an 8 pack by pure magical coincidence as far as our courts are concerned you can get angry but it’s not going to do anything.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

thinking about the king of the hill where hank accidentally starts a price fixing conspiracy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

PoundSand posted:

loving hate stores that sell poo poo like onions by piece instead of weight