Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Shinjobi posted:

If this is how it must end, so be it. I will cry tho.

The Stars have a very strong bounce back theme going this year where they've played their best games in the playoffs after losing, but on the other hand the Stars have lost alot of game 7s over the years lol..

I'm nervous but I think they'll pull through on home ice for the fans.. if not, oh well.. I just hope they lose because Seattle outplays them, not because they get unlucky or a poo poo game from Jake Oettinger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Who is saying this, the people in your head?

You need to stop.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Now that the Oilers bet is lost I feel like I should cash in my Hurricane bet so I don't have root for a homophobe, but then again both Eastern teams have homophobes so

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

You need to stop.

Lol eat poo poo

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I know like Vegas and Carolina are technically top 5 teams by points but this feels like the strangest final four since like 2006.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

I know like Vegas and Carolina are technically top 5 teams by points but this feels like the strangest final four since like 2006.

It feels bizarre and totally devoid of stoylines. Just a bunch of teams that seemed to be destined to be stops on the paths to greatness for Boston, Toronto or Edmonton. Weird year.

Carolina don't even have Svechnikov. It's impressive they've succeeded without him but the fact that it has seemingly not been mentioned goes to show how little anyone thinks about them.

Who's even the Conn Smythe favourite at this point?

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I am.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
briefly checking just point totals, hintz has 18, tkachuk and eichel have 16

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Lessail posted:

mcdavid not hoisting the cup has set hockey back 100 years :(

The NHL (and all fans) will finally care about McDavid when he's not in EDM.

It is written.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

ThinkTank posted:

Yanni Gourde, obviously.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MoaM posted:

The NHL (and all fans) will finally care about McDavid when he's not in EDM.

It is written.

you joke, but how much money has McDavid's Edmonton Exile cost the NHL

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How many of the inaugural Vegas players are still around on Vegas

Smith, Karlsson, Marchesault, Theodore and McNabb. Hague and Whitecloud might've been in the first draft class if that counts.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

ThinkTank posted:

Serious answer: Matthew Tkachuk

Jokey joke answer: Radko Gudas

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

you joke, but how much money has McDavid's Edmonton Exile cost the NHL

I don't think they understand how much money has been lost from "McDavid in primetime".

Anyway this is a weird discussion.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

ThinkTank posted:

It feels bizarre and totally devoid of stoylines. Just a bunch of teams that seemed to be destined to be stops on the paths to greatness for Boston, Toronto or Edmonton. Weird year.

Carolina don't even have Svechnikov. It's impressive they've succeeded without him but the fact that it has seemingly not been mentioned goes to show how little anyone thinks about them.

Yeah if Carolina were fully healthy they'd be the clear favorite right now, and would have been the best non-Boston team going in too, which seems kind of obvious given their record but they were definitely slept on too much because of their past playoff struggles and dour style.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 07:57 on May 15, 2023

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

ThinkTank posted:

Pavelski

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I’m pretty sure Seattle is the funniest possible Cup winner now.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

https://twitter.com/whoistheangel19/status/1658050475110076417

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

How about it's bad for hockey because I personally am not interested.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

How about it's bad for hockey because I personally am not interested.

It's a bad series that doesn't interest even the most hardcore of hockey fans. I think it's pretty obvious I am about as devoted a hockey watcher as you'll find and I doubt I'll watch many of the remaining games. The NHL should be alarmed at how badly it marketed its most successful teams this year. That's a legitimate opinion to hold.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

I’m pretty sure Seattle is the funniest possible Cup winner now.

Dave Hakstol with the same dead-eyed serial killer look on his face as he hoists the Cup

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I'm cool with it because it's funny when teams are in cap hell for as long as my team is garbage

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

it is terribly stupid that the cap structure makes NHL fans have to give a poo poo, at all, about revenue

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

it is terribly stupid that the cap structure makes NHL fans have to give a poo poo, at all, about revenue

I am so jealous of fans of other leagues where the cap is an afterthought that doesn't even apply to popular teams. The NHLPA is such a terrible union.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m flying to Las Vegas on May 26th, what if there’s a playoff game that night should I go? I couldn’t do the rest of the weekend, it’s Punk Rock Bowling weekend.

I am going to a book signing with Dr Greg Graffin (from Bad Religion) but that starts at 4pm. But I could go after?!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Folks the Finals coulda hypothetically NYR vs LA, the two biggest media markets in the US, the ratings would probably still be bad because the NHL is run by dullards

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’m flying to Las Vegas on May 26th, what if there’s a playoff game that night should I go? I couldn’t do the rest of the weekend, it’s Punk Rock Bowling weekend.

I am going to a book signing with Dr Greg Graffin (from Bad Religion) but that starts at 4pm. But I could go after?!

You going to the punk museum?

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011
It might be bad marketing wise but i wouldn’t have a problem with Seattle making the cup finals or winning. It’s fun when the team of cast-offs and also rans pull off some big wins. Kinda like Vegas on their first year before everyone started to hate them.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Power rankings for my preferred winner of the remaining teams

1. Florida
2.Vegas
3. Seattle
4.Dallas
5. Carolina

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

AntiDepressor posted:

It might be bad marketing wise but i wouldn’t have a problem with Seattle making the cup finals or winning. It’s fun when the team of cast-offs and also rans pull off some big wins. Kinda like Vegas on their first year before everyone started to hate them.

Yeah that would be fine I guess.

I'm rooting for the Panthers because I have a jersey and lived there for a couple years. There was a glorious period during that Dave Booth/Nathan Horton/Bouwmeester era where you could get a pair of tickets for free with a valid Florida driver's license so I just hit up friends and family and went to half a dozen games for nothing. Not much connection to the current team, but Tkachuk shooting between his legs all the time is cool I guess.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

Yeah that would be fine I guess.

I'm rooting for the Panthers because I have a jersey and lived there for a couple years. There was a glorious period during that Dave Booth/Nathan Horton/Bouwmeester era where you could get a pair of tickets for free with a valid Florida driver's license so I just hit up friends and family and went to half a dozen games for nothing. Not much connection to the current team, but Tkachuk shooting between his legs all the time is cool I guess.

I loved that era of the Panthers one of the saddest marketing attempts ever. Sadly the original blog is gone, but there was a Canucks fan who bought himself season tickets for $160 and kept emailing management to get them to trade their prospects to the Canucks and as a result managed to end up in the team President's box for the final game of the season lol. He kept trying to give his tickets away for free on Craigslist but almost never succeeded.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/globe-on-hockey/the-canucks-fan-who-bought-florida-panthers-season-tickets/article12063258/

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The NHL isn't doing enough to grow the game and make more money. (Four nontraditional market teams make the conference finals) No not like that.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The NHL isn't doing enough to grow the game and make more money. (Four nontraditional market teams make the conference finals) No not like that.

None of them are fun teams is my much bigger issue. Also the NHL is starting to feel a little too random. I want the better team to succeed the majority of the time. This year made it feel like the playoffs genuinely are a roll of the dice and not a system that rewards the best constructed teams.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Potential Conn Smythe winners (no idea for Vegas):

Tkachuk
Pavs
Buoy
Brindamour

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Lol eat poo poo

:getout:

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Jumping the gun a bit, but It's gonna feel pretty bad when Eichel wins the Conn Smythe and Cup in his first full season away from Buffalo... just like RoR.

Has a team ever failed to even make the playoffs with 2 centers on the team that would then go on to win Conn Smythes and Cups for other teams?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
These playoffs are great because all the dumb rear end in a top hat teams got eliminated in funny, humiliating fashion and we're guaranteed a fresh finals and champion.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Congratulations to the Vegas Golden Knights your dark days are over. After a lengthy one year absence from the playoffs the team is returning to the Conference Finals for the first time since 2021. This is just the fourth time in their six year history Vegas have made the Conference Finals and only the second time beating the Jets on route to doing so. A baby born the last time they appeared in the Conference Finals would be nearly 2 years old today.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 15, 2023

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
technically they made it to the Conference Finals facsimile in the bubble playoffs in 2021 too

e: I guess that wasn't the bubble playoffs, but the Canadian division year

Bard Maddox fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 15, 2023

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Bard Maddox posted:

technically they made it to the Conference Finals facsimile in the bubble playoffs in 2021 too

e: I guess that wasn't the bubble playoffs, but the Canadian division year

Lol oh yeah I forgot, fixed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Anyone have draft 3rd round schedules yet? Usually by game 7 they're already floating around.