Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That's pretty extreme for a security issue. Did you get the same account as she had used prior? If not do you have a central Windows Server that manages company-wide login details?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This is the area that's occupied:

And an earlier article about the community:

https://twitter.com/TristanCorkPost/status/1518160236120612867

quote:

“Young people are struggling to afford stable housing, the average rent in Bristol being over £600 per month, yet wages have stayed the same. Vehicle dwelling is our solution to the housing crisis. We also find this way of life means we have more time for volunteering, community projects and our own pursuits,” she added.

“We want to challenge the assumption that people who live in vehicles are anti-social, jobless, or a threat; when in fact we are engaged in activism, art, law and youth work. We are tidy, respectful people and regularly clean up the street/park together. No one who lives here is a ‘party person,’ in fact we mainly enjoy meals together and an early night. We try hard to be considerate of the neighbourhood and feel saddened that things have escalated to this point,” she added.

One resident of the Greenbank View community, who originally grew up in Horfield, said: “I have three different jobs and even now, I couldn't afford Bristol house prices. Rent prices have escalated and I was faced with the choice to either leave Bristol or find an alternative way of living.”

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Tesseraction posted:

That's pretty extreme for a security issue. Did you get the same account as she had used prior? If not do you have a central Windows Server that manages company-wide login details?

No, when the member of staff who previously used my laptop left, the CEO tried it out to see if she wanted to swap to it from the one she was using, signed in once and decided no. Unbeknowns to me, her signon was stored in the system. She swore b&w she'd never used it when the issue came up but then my line manager reminded her of the one time!

There's a long and boring story, suffice to say we have no IT department, we are a tiny organisation of just 4 employees all part time, and I'm what passes for the in-house IT expert. We don't have a server anymore since it went pop 2 years ago, just rely on sharepoint. And I have no server experience in any case.
As master passwords are above my paygrade, there are things I cannot resolve which I'm sure I could do in a half an hour with a youtube vid to follow!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

fuctifino posted:

Years ago, I've just remembered the town I live in (when I lived here before as a teen 1970s) had a field with caravans parked on it, my sister & I both dated blokes who lived down there.
They weren't travellers, but exactly as in this case, young single people earning a pittance £7pw hefting tree trunks in the forest - that type of work, almost no accommodation for single people in the town at all back then - most of the flats here now have been built in the last 20 years - and those that were available were £25pw which was a fortune back then. A week's retail work paid £26pw for 6 full days back then.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Angepain posted:

...na?

...communist?

I can 100% believe people think he's a communist

I cannot believe anyone on this planet thinks he's cool

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Julio Cruz posted:

I can 100% believe people think he's a communist

I cannot believe anyone on this planet thinks he's cool

Labour Student types already prepping for their career as a SPAD & then MP definitely think Kieth is cool because they are psychopaths of the worst kind

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He has a quiff, what could be cooler?

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

fuctifino posted:

There's a stretch of the River Nene here in Peterborough that has a varying number of narrowboats moored on it - some are there all-year round and more tend to be there in the winter. These aren't cruisers, yachts or holiday homes, but clearly people with low incomes finding a way of getting cheap accommodation in the middle of a city with climbing rents and stagnant wages. A lot of the boats have decidedly home-made looking superstructures to increase the living space, most have lots of building materials, plumbing, bikes and stuff under tarps lashed to the roofs, plus ad-hoc looking solar panels, wind turbines, janky chimneys from wood burners etc. In a word, they look scruffy - not some polished, painted and sign-written luxury narrowboat.

When I go jogging down that bit of the river in the summer the people are often sat on the riverbank chatting, working on something, playing the guitar or the concertina, cooking something on a portable grille - often some sort of mysterious ethnic food. The people are as well-dressed as someone you'd expect to live in a 25-foot MDF box - they have camouflage jackets and ripped jeans and workboots (the sign of a secret antifa supersoldier, Norman...). Some of them have dreadlocks and often you can smell marijuana in the air.

I can only assume that they are at designated houseboat moorings that are either free by some medieval quirk of the city charter or the Middle Level Commissioners or they are properly paid for at some price that is still way cheaper than renting some damp shoebox next to a railway siding in New England, and so they can't be officially harassed or victimised. Because I am always amazed that this community hasn't been targeted by some mob of pearl-clutching curtain-twitchers via the local paper or a facebook group who are outraged that people are not fully engaging with capitalism in view of the public and small children, and might make some 50-year old suburbanite (I'm kidding - they'd never actually go to the riverside) feel uncomfortable through their unwillingness to conform. And think what it's doing to the house prices! This string of scruffy boats is in full view of the new Luxury Executive Apartments that have gone up (and which I have moaned at length about before), so I fully expect them to be unpersoned like the Greenbankers before too long.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Just watching this documentary on The Great Storm of 1987 (I remember moving my bed from by my window to the opposite side of the room - there was a big tree outside my bedroom, but I was one of two people who made it in to work that day walking from East Finchley down to Archway climbing over trees and there were a couple of tubes running between Archway & Goodge St)- as a temp - no work = no pay) but I digress.

I had no idea about this:

A 'prison ship' (the Earl William) housing asylum seekers from Sri Lanka (tamils)

https://www.tamilguardian.com/content/great-storm-1987

Good read about prison ships and the support shown to the tamil asylum seekers at the time by Corbyn & Abbott (and Harry Cohen*)

The ship had no engines, no crew, and was held down by mooring ropes which all tore away during the storm. (Fortunately it seems none of them died because of the storm). Also see below quote from Great Yarmouth Mercury.

Another article:
https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/learn-lessons-past-%E2%80%93-campaigner-against-1980s-prison-ship-refugees-warns-government-not

Photo from morning star article via Tamils for Corbyn group (probably a banned by Starmer group now).

https://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.uk/news/21088330.1987-storm-great-yarmouth-sailor-recalls-terrifying-voyage-saw-6m-cargo-lost-overboard/

quote:

Further down the coast, at the port of Harwich, in Essex, the Earl William ferry broke free of its 22 mooring ropes. The ferry was being used as a detention centre for illegal immigrants at the time and had 40 Tamil refugees on board but, fortunately, drifted across the harbour and ran aground rather than drifting out to sea.

Digression re Harry Cohen.

*Harry Cohen was stripped of £65000 'golden goodbye' "But the committee revealed that Mr Cohen, 60, had been letting out a house in Colchester between April 2004 and August 2008 which he had declared as his main home — allowing him to claim more than £70,000 in second home allowance for a property in his London constituency." - those were the days, eh, when politicians were punished for wrong doing instead of being given every higher posts.

Then 3 days later it was Black Monday. And Kiss were in the charts with Crazy Crazy Nights.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 15, 2023

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's deeply loving grim, because everywhere in the country is cracking down with these kinds of orders. Orders they don't even have to prove, because the second some NIMBY prick complains little tarquin had someone be poor at them, they send in the filth to crack some heads.

Although it's a shame that their defence smacks a little of "no no, we're nice, not like those filthy jobless [insert GRT slur]." Problem is the council can't tell other caravans to gently caress off if they let the nice white kids stay, so they have to go too.

British authorities love to claim there's no genocide, that GRT people have the right to live in peace, but then just point at every square inch of the country and say 'not here.'

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm sure someone ITT does IT for a charity.

If so, could I PM you with a couple of questions regarding requirements for getting the charity discount licence for Microsoft 365 (we have it and as I understand we have to have a Microsoft certified approved professional for support which we have, but he is rather 'unresponsive' and we've had a security issue lately that luckily we noticed before any damage was done - namely my laptop logged me in to the CEO's Office & her email! She'd used my laptop once before I started work there!) I notified her and she changed her password & made the Brownie Guide promise that I hadn't read any of her stuff - which I hadn't).

I thought we had to have someone with Microsoft Certification of some sort, but recall reading that the particular Certification doesn't exist anymore o what should I be looking for?

I do, PM away - though I'm off this week and I'll have to ask our purchasing team as they handle all the contracts etc. There are still MS certifications, but the name has changed - the old MCSE title doesn't exist anymore.

I can't see anything about needing a MS qualified person in the eligibility - but might be missing something. https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/nonprofits/eligibility?activetab=pivot1%3aprimaryr4

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I wonder what the better solution to this is? More housing or would it be more effecient to try and make the Midlands and North more attractive for jobs.

BalloonFish posted:

There's a stretch of the River Nene here in Peterborough that has a varying number of narrowboats moored on it

Yep one of my wife's friends lives in one all year round. She moves up and down the river a little, she's got a gym pass to one of those chains that's everywhere so she has access to a shower where ever she goes.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 07:57 on May 15, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Angrymog posted:

I do, PM away - though I'm off this week and I'll have to ask our purchasing team as they handle all the contracts etc. There are still MS certifications, but the name has changed - the old MCSE title doesn't exist anymore.

I can't see anything about needing a MS qualified person in the eligibility - but might be missing something. https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/nonprofits/eligibility?activetab=pivot1%3aprimaryr4

Thanks I'll pm you this evening after work.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mega Comrade posted:

I wonder what the better solution to this is? More housing or would it be more effecient to try and make the Midlands and North more attractive for jobs.

Build community housing and pay people enough that they can afford to live?

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Thanks I'll pm you this evening after work.

Well I was thinking “that’s me, I’m the IT charity guy” but it seems there’s more of us than I realised! Sounds like AngryMog has you covered but if your charity is ever moving into opening a shop, raising money via retail, or anything to do with Gift Aid - I’m your man!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Scientastic posted:

No. It's the poors who are wrong

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sanford posted:

Well I was thinking “that’s me, I’m the IT charity guy” but it seems there’s more of us than I realised! Sounds like AngryMog has you covered but if your charity is ever moving into opening a shop, raising money via retail, or anything to do with Gift Aid - I’m your man!

Thanks :) I'm the Gift Aid claimer at work. Might chuck a couple of questions at you if I may at some point if something comes up!

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Ironically, if people weren't forced to live in deplorable conditions, rich fuckers would be first to the media complaining that the local spoons put prices up to pay people enough to actually afford to work there.

The rich twats in this country quietly want a slave class of plebs, to work all the jobs they don't want to know about. They just dont want to be reminded they exist.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

More housing and having an economy that exists outside the capital would both help. But neither of those things are happening in this parliament or the next

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Scientastic posted:

Sorry , I should have speculated, something the next labour government might actually consider.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Municipalism and ignoring anything that Westminster might have to say about anything.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

Sorry , I should have speculated, something the next labour government might actually consider.

Ah well, then the answer is nothing.

It's a party captured by landlords

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I could see labour trying to shore back up their wall. So some investment outside London I would expect. It will likely be in business tax incentives type though instead of directly supporting people.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mega Comrade posted:

I wonder what the better solution to this is?

Mega Comrade posted:

do you mean “solution” as in a hastily-forgotten pledge or as in a three word phrase rebrand?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1658027796592046081

I'm sure Rishi is just trolling Boris at this point

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

One of the issues is that housing developers don't to build too many houses themselves either.

If they build too many, that might cause the price to go down. The Horror.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tsietisin posted:

One of the issues is that housing developers don't to build too many houses themselves either.

Almost as if the building industry is too vital to be left to the vagaries of the free market...

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Tsietisin posted:

There needs to be publicly owned building companies that continously build new affordable housing for councils etc, because why would private firms build so many houses they undercut their future profits? It's obviously impossible under capitalism, or at least while we have large barriers to entry like the cost of land and planning permission.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

There needs to be publicly owned building companies that continously build new affordable housing for councils etc, because why would private firms build so many houses they undercut their future profits? It's obviously impossible under capitalism, or at least while we have large barriers to entry like the cost of land and planning permission.

The problem seems to be that you have got this style of development where a company buys the land, builds the house and then sells it. It has more vested interest in high house prices that way.

Over here most families would buy land themselves, then contract a house builder separately.

It's less common for a single developer to do the whole thing. Which IMO probably explains why you get all these samey looking neighborhoods of identical look plots and houses instead of a more natural variation in styles and sizes.

Not that this system we have is problem free either.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Guavanaut posted:

I'm okay with a lot of things being done against nazis that I wouldn't otherwise be okay with. Even though it sucks that the slave laborers were caught up in it, that's entirely the fault of the people who decided that it was acceptable to have slaves.

I can believe that without hero worshipping the RAF, blanket excusing all of their actions e.g. in colonies, or calling my dog a slur though. It probably harms any supposed anti-nazi morality to claim, as Hastings does, that the RAF fought for the right to turn dogs racist.

The 'slaves' were POWs. If they had been 1000 British POWs not Soviet POWs how do you think the UK population would've judged the success of the raids?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Nothingtoseehere posted:

*Points at large estates acquired because of some toff's great ×12 grandad was pals with Henry VIII and says nationalised*

Unironically, it's loving absurd how limited land reform has been, look at how much of London the Grosvenor's own. Duchy of Cornwall is loving massive, Duke of Buccleuch is I think one of Europe's largest private landowner, which when you consider how small the UK is relative to a France or Germany or Poland is loving bonkers.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Lord of the Llamas posted:

The 'slaves' were POWs. If they had been 1000 British POWs not Soviet POWs how do you think the UK population would've judged the success of the raids?

Depends if they were from the right parts of the Commonwealth or not

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

pretty sure if we had a political party with a sincere attempt at land reform we would somehow colour revolution ourselves

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1658027700391485440?t=oDsamwRerS7OVhEoeVp_KQ&s=19

Huh, what happened after 1945?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Jel Shaker posted:

pretty sure if we had a political party with a sincere attempt at land reform we would somehow colour revolution ourselves

Wasn't there that bunch of squaddies using Corbyn's photo as target practice and promising to coup him if he ever got elected?

Wonder what happened to them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lord of the Llamas posted:

It'd probably be turned into a Bridge on the River Kwai style tale of glorious sacrifice, or the bravery of Coventry (where anything about an advance warning was buried) or something.

The Zwangsarbeit system was slavery though, and just because other people did similar doesn't make it anything else, otherwise you get into "well actually the Union shot more enslaved Africans than the Confederacy during the American civil war" type hot takes. Yes, because the slave states were forcing them to act as porters in the line of fire. Slavers bear the ultimate responsibility.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

forkboy84 posted:

Huh, what happened after 1945?

Absolutely nothing happened until 2nd June 1953

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Not sure you can blame Craig Stadler for the UK economy.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Hello yes I would like to be prime minister please. I won't be able to fix anything or improve anyone's life, it turns out everything is too broken for that. But I am very serious about leadership and making difficult choices. Like choosing not to fix broken things. How about allowing 16 and 17 year olds to vote? Young people are so important to the future of this country. EU nationals as well; that's of crucial important to the countries future and will not alienate the putrid coalition of voters I have made up for myself.

Anyway that's enough of that. What are the other lot up to?

https://twitter.com/NatConTalk/status/1658037970006409218

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
People exercising power through voluntary or democratic institutions other than the family will be ignored or detained.